What's new

From beep to boom: Europe hears call of Chinese phones

ohmrlobalobayeh

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Asia
From beep to boom: Europe hears call of Chinese phones

oneplus-ceo-pete-lau-wants-his-company-s-smartphones-to-take-european-markets-by-storm-1528256734254-2.jpg

OnePlus CEO Pete Lau wants his company's smartphones to take European markets by storm. (Photo: AFP/Punit Paranjpe)
06 Jun 2018 11:50AM
Share this content
Bookmark

PARIS: China's smartphone makers have long been confined to their enormous local market but this is fast changing, with a growing number of western European users opting for a relatively cheap but still sleek Chinese-made upgrade.

Chinese top-range phones are often around half the price of those made by US and Korean rivals, with many devotees swearing by the quality of their devices, insisting they are just as elegant, functional and durable as any other model.

The aggressive expansion into western Europe - mainly Spain, Italy and France for now - of Chinese firms OnePlus and Xiaomi comes as users grow less willing to fork out around US$1,000 for a new device.

At the same time the Chinese market reaches saturation point, according to Roberta Cozza, an analyst at American research firm Gartner.

Companies such as OnePlus and Xiaomi "have to look somewhere else. They can deliver good smartphones and have the possibility to go on more mature markets", Cozza told AFP.

They face stiff competition, however, not just from Apple and Samsung, but also from Chinese giant Huawei, the three of which hold around three quarters of the western European market share.

Advertisement
"STEP BY STEP"

But Xiaomi, which was founded in 2010, already occupies the fourth spot, according to global market research firm IDC.

OnePlus is number one in India, where it holds more than half the market share, IDC adds.

And now, European users are growing more willing make the switch.

"I had already bought more expensive phones before and didn't see the need to spend so much money," Judy Grayland, a 36-year-old Xiaomi Redmi 4X owner told AFP.

"I am really happy with it. It works really well and it looks nice," said the Madrid-based translator and mother of one.

image: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/ima...pay-1000-for-a-new-device-1528256734254-3.jpg

the-expansion-into-europe-of-firms-such-as-xiaomi-comes-as-users-become-increasingly-unwilling-to-pay-1000-for-a-new-device-1528256734254-3.jpg

The expansion into Europe of firms such as Xiaomi comes as users become increasingly unwilling to pay US$1,000 for a new device. (Photo: AFP/Fred Dufour)

Hearing the call of European consumers, Xiaomi recently opened its first flagship store in Paris, and OnePlus' phones have gone on sale in the catalogues of French operator Bouygues Telecom.

Both brands, complete with accessories, are widely available online.

"We have to go to market step by step. We're already in Spain and Italy and we've learned there for the other European markets," Xiaomi vice president Xiang Wang said.

"We're fighting against people's perceptions, because they think that low prices mean low quality, but it's not (true)," Xiang said.

OnePlus, whose 5T has drawn rave reviews likening it to the iPhone X, is also taking a gradual approach.

"We always start with one partner but there is no reason to extend it. We started in Finland with Elisa, 3 in Denmark, O2 in the UK," OnePlus cofounder Carl Pei said.

FIERCE BATTLE

BMI Research analyst Dexter Thillien says the firms' arrival on the European market shows they want to up their game.

"The advantage of Europe is that consumers there are a little bit wealthier" than in China, BMI Research analyst Dexter Thillien said.

OnePlus and Xiaomi have more than just Samsung, Apple and Huawei to worry about - they must also fight off competition from Sony, Motorola, Wiko, LG and the revamped Nokia.

Thillien says one pull factor that OnePlus and Xiaomi hold over the more established brands is their production of premium phones, appealing to Europeans looking for a bargain but who still want a top-quality product.

The battle for buyers looking for a phone in the €250 to €500 range is bound to be fierce for years to come.

"There are similarities between European (consumers) and those in emerging economies," Thillien said, adding that the European market is more open to change and new products than the US.

Source: AFP/zl
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-europe-hears-call-of-chinese-phones-10396050

I have been looking for a new phone since my antique LG phone's battery got swollen and have faulty power charging. it's something like this:

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-swelling-battery-2.jpg

I can't closed the cover properly at all. it keeps separating due to the FAT battery.

im buying a https://www.lazada.sg/products/i207...o42.cart.0.0.4dc87a93A1jOnL&urlFlag=true&mp=1 tonight!!! It was released just 3 months ago, 3 march 2018 in Singapore(think earlier in China) and comes with local 1 year warranty at Xiaomi's service centre (Singapore)

It's within my budget and looks good for gaming and from reviews, it's considered to be Mid-range category.

I told myself to make it a point to to buy chinese processors, but Xiaomi is still using Qualcomm Snapdragon. I look forward to the day where i can finally buy a Xiaomi phone with Chinese processors- maybe 5-6 years later.

Although Huawei is a really good phone with an amazing camera, it's keyboard is no match for iPhone or Samsung's. Yes, you can adjust the size of the keyboard, layout, and change the colour and themes, but it's much easier to type on an iPhone and it feels very natural, unlike Huawei, which has a terrible autocorrect.

Although Huawei is a really good phone with an amazing camera, it's keyboard is no match for iPhone or Samsung's. Yes, you can adjust the size of the keyboard, layout, and change the colour and themes, but it's much easier to type on an iPhone and it feels very natural, unlike Huawei, which has a terrible autocorrect.
In terms of prestige, Apple and Samsung use to take the cream in Singapore. In fact, Chinese brands were deemed to be inferior in the past- that was about 3-4 years ago.

Right now this situation is changing, as locals here are associating Chinese brands to be of high quality and excellent affordability.

The fact that Xiaomi has opened not 1, but 2 official concept stores in downstown singapore, in addition to numerous retailers carrying Xiaomi phones(and Huawei, Oppo,, etc)- indicates this phenomenon.

Xiaomi singapore, including a local service centre: https://www.google.com.sg/search?rl...049...0i131i67k1j0i67k1j0i131k1.0.0hXheugrYnQ

Oppo Singapore, including a local service centre: https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=.....69i57j0l5.2083j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Huawei singapore, including a local service centre:
https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=.....69i57j0l5.2217j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Vivo Singapore with local service center:
http://www.vivo.com/sg/where-to-buy

i checked but it seems Oneplus do not have a physical store or service centre in Singapore yet. Their facebook page indicates they have only online stores for now: https://www.facebook.com/oneplussingapore/

Last edited:
People who think chinese brands are considered on par with apple or korean brands are frankly delusional.
How many ppl say i am about to chuck my iphone/samsung and upgrade to a xiomi or oppo? .
Only thing attractive is the lower price. And a lower price attracts a different demographic.

People who think chinese brands are considered on par with apple or korean brands are frankly delusional.
How many ppl say i am about to chuck my iphone/samsung and upgrade to a xiomi or oppo? .
Only thing attractive is the lower price. And a lower price attracts a different demographic.
like what? how are they not on par or worse- better than Chinese brands?

if u cant explain based on what criteria that u're making that conclusion on- everyone will just take that as a sinophobic statement.

Thanks.

Last edited:
A
In terms of prestige, Apple and Samsung use to take the cream in Singapore. In fact, Chinese brands were deemed to be inferior in the past- that was about 3-4 years ago.

Right now this situation is changing, as locals here are associating Chinese brands to be of high quality and excellent affordability.

The fact that Xiaomi has opened not 1, but 2 official concept stores in downstown singapore, in addition to numerous retailers carrying Xiaomi phones(and Huawei, Oppo,, etc)- indicates this phenomenon.

Xiaomi singapore, including a local service centre:

Oppo Singapore, including a local service centre:

Huawei singapore, including a local service centre:

Vivo Singapore with local service center:

i checked but it seems Oneplus do not have a physical store or service centre in Singapore yet. Their facebook page indicates they have only online stores for now:
IPhone has a lot of drawbacks there, the reason I chose Huawei and kept my iPhone aside was how the iOs would slow down after a couple of updates. The app store is great just like their iBooks but I can still access those on an ipad, but not the phone.

Huawei's camera quality and battery life surpasses when compared with the Apple phones and has given Samsung a run for its money here.

China makes a lot of products so maybe for a while people considered their new brands inferior, but for your perception to change, all you have to do is look closely at the Apple products to see that they are manufactured in China and assembled in United States.

And no one wants to get stuck with an expensive but slow phone that'll get slower with every update. Apple shouldn't have slower the phones on purpose like it admitted.

Huawei needs to work on its keyboard. I've not come across Oppo or Xiaomi but I see the reception has been really good for this phone, so if I may give it a go if it promises longer battery life than Huawei!

If you want to compare the Samsung and Apple products to Chinese devices then you have to choose Huawei and OnePlus and frankly speaking, these two aren't far behind and will pretty soon be neck and neck. Remember the time when Samsung was considered inferior to Apple? While Apple right now is running on bloated egos and former glory. I can't even begin with Apple's mediocre 'innovation' and money grabbing techniques.

Last edited:
I have been looking for a new phone since my antique LG phone's battery got swollen and have faulty power charging. it's something like this:

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-swelling-battery-2.jpg

I can't closed the cover properly at all. it keeps separating due to the FAT battery.

im buying a https://www.lazada.sg/products/i207...o42.cart.0.0.4dc87a93A1jOnL&urlFlag=true&mp=1 tonight!!! It was released just 3 months ago, 3 march 2018 in Singapore(think earlier in China) and comes with local 1 year warranty at Xiaomi's service centre (Singapore)

It's within my budget and looks good for gaming and from reviews, it's considered to be Mid-range category.

I told myself to make it a point to to buy chinese processors, but Xiaomi is still using Qualcomm Snapdragon. I look forward to the day where i can finally buy a Xiaomi phone with Chinese processors- maybe 5-6 years later.
Then you should go for a Huawei phone.

What loads of crap :lol:
@eldarlmari
Yes, he's right. It's Xiaomi that's in the driver's seat. Not one plus.

im getting Redmi 5 Plus.

I like the specs
I just bought myself and for my wife 2 one plus 6.

The darn thing has lightning speed with face recognition finger print scanner and what not. Haven't had a problem till date.

I've tried almost all the phones from Lenovo, Huawei, Samsung, Xiaomi, Letv 1s, etc etc and now one plus.

I had Xiaomi MI3 and MI4 is pretty good too. Except for one small issue. I couldn't get a charging cable after the the original cable got lost. So, I had to try a third party cable and that heated up the phone really bad while heavy gaming. The temperature used to go up to 50 degrees centigrade. This was for the MI4.

Another brainless comment.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/one-m...ery-life-awesome-cameras-and-useful-settings/

https://www.androidcentral.com/p20-pro-already-huaweis-best-selling-flagship-western-europe

Huawei P20 pro with its innovative low light camera and innovative AI assist , super large capacity battery and all rounder performance is taking Western Europe by storm. This phone is contender for smartphone of the year 2018 using huawei own Kirin 970 processor.

The night shot mode without tripod but still take world class photo quality has put some DSLR/high end camera to shame.

Back
Top Bottom