What's new

France to sell Egypt 30 fighter jets in $4.5 bln deal -report

France is in advanced talks to sell 30 Rafale fighter jets to Egypt, a government source said on Monday, in a 3.75 billion euro ($4.5 billion) deal which investigative website Disclose said could be sealed as soon as Tuesday.

President Emmanuel Macron said in December he would not make the sale of weapons to Egypt conditional on human rights because he did not want to weaken Cairo's ability to counter terrorism in the region, a comment that drew the ire of critics.

"Very advanced discussions have indeed taken place with Egypt and announcements could be made very soon," a French governmental source told Reuters in response to the Disclose report on Monday, while declining to give further details.

Citing confidential documents, Disclose said an agreement had been concluded at the end of April and that a deal could be sealed on Tuesday when an Egyptian delegation arrives in Paris.

It would be a further boost for the Dassault-made (AVMD.PA) warplane after finalising in January a 2.5 billion euro agreement for the sale of 18 Rafales to Greece.

The Egyptian accord also reportedly covers contracts for missile provider MBDA (AVMD.PA) and equipment provider Safran Electronics & Defense (SAF.PA) which are worth another 200 million euros.

France's finance, foreign and armed forces ministries were not immediately available for comment. Egyptian officials were also not immediately available for comment.

France was the main weapons supplier to Egypt between 2013-2017, including the sale of 24 warplanes with an option for 12 more. Those contracts dried up, including deals for more Rafale jets and warships that had been at an advanced stage.

Diplomats said that was as much to do with financing issues over fears about Cairo's long-term ability to repay state-backed guaranteed loans, however, rather than concerns Paris had with the human rights situation in Egypt.

Benedicte Jeannerod, Human Rights Watch Director for France, denounced the deal outright.

"By signing a mega-arms contract with (Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-)Sisi's government while the latter presides over the worst repression in decades in Egypt, the eradication of the human rights community in the country, and undertakes extremely serious violations under the pretext of the fight against terrorism, France is only encouraging this ruthless repression," Jeannerod told Reuters.

Disclose said financing for the deal would be up to 85% guaranteed by the French state with BNP Paribas, Credit Agricole, Societe Generale and CIC, which funded the original deal, signing up again. The banks were not immediately available for comment.

With both countries concerned by the political vacuum in Libya, instability across the region and the threat from jihadist groups in Egypt, they have cultivated closer economic and military ties during Sisi’s rise to power.

Rights organisations have accused Macron of turning a blind eye to what they say are increasing violations of freedoms by Sisi's government.

French officials dismiss this and say Paris is following a policy of not openly criticising countries over human rights so as to be more effective in private on a case by case basis.

($1 = 0.8296 euros)

I told u
Eygpt will operate 250ish f16s and 150ish rafale typhoon migs

It has no plans jf17

It will continue purchasing in blocks untill it acheives that number
Silly you! Some Pakistanis here on PDF refused to sell "their" JF-17 Block III to Egypt..HaHaHa!
Pakistan actively engaged eygptians and deal was finalized till military coup

After military coup we didnt bother as eygpt was no longer a market

I told u
Eygpt will operate 250ish f16s and 150ish rafale typhoon migs

It has no plans jf17

It will continue purchasing in blocks untill it acheives that number

Pakistan actively engaged eygptians and deal was finalized till military coup

After military coup we didnt bother as eygpt was no longer a market
The Plan is still going on with China.. and Pakistan is obviously involved too.. till the JF-17 BLKIII is ready.. this is going to be a very particular deal involving TOT and local production in Egypt..

362569Image1.jpg

The Plan is still going on with China.. and Pakistan is obviously involved too.. till the JF-17 BLKIII is ready.. this is going to be a very particular deal involving TOT and local production in Egypt..
Well i will be surpised will defy common sense

Block 3 is tailred for pakistan..i.e a very light fighter as our arched enemy is next door
Dont know it fits eygptian needs

I need help in understanding current Eygpt's geo goal, what are all these big purchased for?

Just a modernization is really all it is. Most of these are replacing older platforms with possibly the exception of the Su-35S. That's a new type of heavy strike aircraft that the EAF has never operated a similar type before. But the MiG-29M/35s and Rafales are just replacing the older MiG-21s and Mirage Vs.

Well i will be surpised will defy common sense

Block 3 is tailred for pakistan..i.e a very light fighter as our arched enemy is next door
Dont know it fits eygptian needs
What common sense!? When the US with all its potent platforms is looking for a light fighter to add to its inventory..

There were also two visits by Pakistan COAS to Egypt in the last year to discuss defense cooperation..

Last edited:
Make peace with a certain nation in the region and the rewards will immeasureable.

yes, ours. profit sharing, local production and everything (that includes a lot of locally developed electronics as well, sans radar, and a lot of locally developed weapons). what does Saudi and Egypt have to offer in that area, despite being far richer than Pakistan?

Congratulations to our Egyptian friends! 30 Rafales for a total of 53 Rafale F3s is a very credible fleet of the pre-eminent 4th gen combat fighter. (Given that 1 Egyptian Rafale was lost in April 2019)

@Gomig-21
So I take it this means that the possible deal for Typhoons is now scrapped? This is a lot more sensible. A larger fleet will be easier to maintain logistics wise, easier to train pilots, technicians, etc..plus more sensible from the POV of weapons commonality.

Could you just confirm if the 30 new Rafales are to be the F3R type or is Egypt going to wait till the F4 variant is in production?

Also, is Meteor going to be supplied with these 30?

Last edited:
Congratulations to our Egyptian friends! 30 Rafales for a total of 53 Rafale F3s is a very credible fleet of the pre-eminent 4th gen combat fighter. (Given that 1 Egyptian Rafale was lost in April 2019)

@Gomig-21
So I take it this means that the possible deal for Typhoons is now scrapped? This is a lot more sensible. A larger fleet will be easier to maintain logistics wise, easier to train pilots, technicians, etc..plus more sensible from the POV of weapons commonality.

Could you just confirm if the 30 new Rafales are to be the F3R type or is Egypt going to wait till the F4 variant is in production?

Also, is Meteor going to be supplied with these 30?

I think the rumor of a lost Rafale was proved to be false.

Egypt bought 30 Rafale F3R and those currently in service will also be upgraded to the F3R standard. The weapon package is unknown as of yet. (But should include meteor?)

All currently produced Rafales are F4.1 ready. (Mostly software upgrade)

The F4.2 standard which will receive all the hardware upgrade of the F4 standard will need the Rafale to come back to the factory for extensive upgrade work.

Back
Top Bottom