What's new

Former President APJ Abdul Kalam Dies at 83: Press Trust of India

11027927_966464756745648_4076592986865733560_n.jpg

President's Secretariat
29-July, 2015 16:37 IST
Reminiscences of President Mukherjee on Former President of India Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam As conveyed to media on board his aircraft Enroute to Delhi from Bangalore on July 28, 2015

I am deeply saddened by Dr. Kalam’s unexpected demise. He would have completed 84 years in October this year. There is only a four year difference between us. He was born in October 1931 and I was born in December 1935.

My first interaction with Dr. Kalam was when he was Scientific Advisor to Raksha Mantri. After the Pokhran blasts, Prime Minister Vajpayee invited leaders of the Congress Party for a briefing. I, Dr. Manmohan Singh, Mrs. Sonia Gandhi and a couple of others were present. The technical aspects of the tests at Pokhran II was explained by Dr. Kalam through an impressive presentation. Vajpayeeji, Ministers and other political leaders analysed it from the political angle.

I congratulated him when he received Bharat Ratna in November 1997 and when his name came up for Presidency. But, we had formal interaction only after 2004. I was Defence Minister in the UPA-I Government when he was President and Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces. He asked me to support the Brahmos missile project. His direct encouragement resulted in the Brahmos being used by all the three services. Initially, it was a surface-to-surface missile. But now we have adapted it and there are surface-to-air, air-to-air, and naval versions. Dr. Kalam and his colleagues developed this indigenous cruise missile of India. Dr. Kalam’s contributions enhanced our defence capabilities.

Dr. Kalam used to often write poetry. Sometimes, while paying respects to departed soldiers at Amar Jawan Jyoti, he would compose a poem and quietly pass it on to me. I received two/three poems like this.

Our friendship developed because we had a common passion –books. He loved books and lived amongst them. His world revolved around books. Many years ago, I read in college a poem ‘My days among the dead are passed’. Dead here means authors who are no more. I am always surrounded by books. He too was always surrounded by books. Moreover, he was a prolific writer. This passion brought us together. When we met and the few times he came to see me, we would discuss books. What each one was reading or what he was writing. He chided me why do you not write? You read but your production is poor compared to your reading. Why don’t you write?

After my becoming President, he visited me several times and we discussed many things. On his last visit, he presented me his book ‘Beyond 2020’.

I was shocked when I heard the unexpected news of his demise. A sense of tremendous loss overwhelmed me. Dr. Kalam was always jovial but carried his years lightly. His mind was ever agile. He was humble but had a mighty mind. He was the people’s President during his tenure as President and will continue to remain so in the hearts of people after his demise.

No President was ever loved so much. Jawaharlal Nehru received a great deal of love and affection from children and the people. After that, it has been Dr. Kalam. Watching Dr. Kalam enjoy the company of children and students, it seemed as if he was Nehru in another form.

Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi paying his respects to former President APJ Abdul Kalam at his residence at Rajaji Marg in New Delhi.
384856-kalam-280715-ra1.jpg

Congress leader Raj Babbar and former Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda pay their respects to former President APJ Abdul Kalam at his residence at Rajaji Marg in New Delhi.
384859-kalam-280715-ra4.jpg

Former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh paying respects to former President APJ Abdul Kalam at his residence at Rajaji Marg in New Delhi.
384860-kalam-280715-ra5.jpg

The mortal remains of former President APJ Abdul Kalam is carried to a chopper in Madurai.
385317-kalam-290715-ra1.jpg

Family members of former President APJ Abdul Kalam wail near his body at Mandapam Helipad ground in Rameswaram.
385318-kalam-290715-ra2.jpg

DMK leader MK Stalin pays his last respects to former President APJ Abdul Kalam at public view ground in Rameswaram.
385319-kalam-290715-ra3.jpg

A child kisses former President APJ Abdul Kalams photo at Chikmagalur in Karnataka.
385321-kalam-290715-ra4.jpg

School children pay tribute to the former President APJ Abdul Kalam at a school in Gurgaon.
384861-kalam-280715-ra6.jpg

Abdul Kalam served as inspiration for millions of Indians: Obama | Zee News
Last Updated: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 06:05

Washington: US President Barack Obama on Tuesday extended his condolences on the death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, saying he was an inspiration to millions who worked to deepen space cooperation between the two countries.

"On behalf of the American people, I wish to extend my deepest condolences to the people of India on the passing of former Indian President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam," Obama said in a statement.

"A scientist and statesman, Dr Kalam rose from humble beginnings to become one of India's most accomplished leaders, earning esteem at home and abroad," said Obama, who is visiting Africa.

An advocate for stronger US-India relations, Kalam worked to deepen our space cooperation, forging links with NASA during a 1962 visit to the United States, he said.

"His tenure as India's 11th president witnessed unprecedented growth in US-India ties.

"Suitably named 'the People's President,' Dr Kalam's humility and dedication to public service served as an inspiration to millions of Indians and admirers around the world," Obama said.

PTI

China pays rich tributes to APJ Abdul Kalam | Zee News

Beijing: China on Wednesday paid rich tributes to former President APJ Abdul Kalam, terming him an influential Indian politician and active promoter of Sino-Indian friendship as it expressed condolences over his death.

"Dr. Kalam, former President of India was an influential politician, and also an active promoter of Sino-Indian friendship, and after retirement had also visited China many times and served as an honorary professor at Peking University," the Chinese Foreign Ministry said.

"The Chinese side expressed deep condolences on the death of Dr. Kalam, to the Indian government and people as well as conveyed sincere condolences to his family," it said in a written response to a question from PTI.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi also expressed grief over Kalam's death on his Chinese social media account Weibo, where he has several thousand followers.

"On 27th July 2015 we lost our beloved former President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. He will be remembered as a great scientist, a wonderful President & above all an inspiring individual. Dr. Kalam enjoyed being with people; people & youngsters adored him. He loved students & spent his final moments among them," Modi said.

"My mind is filled with so many memories, so many interactions with him. Always marvelled at his intellect, learnt so much from him. Here is a video of my speech in which I pay my tributes to him," he said.

Like he did in India, Kalam sought to make impression on Chinese students.

He first visited China in 2012 on the invitation of the Chinese government and was made Honorary Professor of the prestigious Peking University where he delivered lectures on sustainable development and creative leadership.

He visited Beijing again last year.

Prof. Jiang Jingkui, who heads the Centre for South Asian Studies in Peking University and attended both the lectures, said: "Dr. Kalam is not simply a scientist of India but also for the entire world. People of China will remember him for long."

PTI

People gather in large numbers at APJ Abdul Kalam's Rameswaram house | Zee News

Chennai: A large number of people have gathered at former president APJ Abdul Kalam`s house at Rameswaram to pay their last respects, a relative said on Wednesday.

"People in large numbers have assembled at Kalam`s house to pay their last respects," APJMK Sheik Saleem, the former president`s brother`s grandson told a news agency over the phone.

"All our relatives have also come to attend the last rites," he added.

The coastal town of Rameswaram, a Hindu pilgrimage centre, is located around 600 km from Chennai in Ramanathapuram district.

Kalam was born in Rameswaram and spent his young days battling poverty there.

Saleem said Kalam`s body will be kept at a location near the bus stand to enable the public to pay their last respects.

"Public can pay their homage till 8 pm today (Wednesday) after which the body will be taken to his house - `House of Kalam` at the Mosque Street," Saleem said.

According to him the last rites will be performed around 10.30 am on Thursday.

In a statement issued here Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa said at the request of the family members, the government has allotted land for burying Kalam`s mortal remains.

Security has been tightened at Rameswaram in view of the large number of people, including ministers and others, who are expected to attend Kalam`s last rites.

IANS

APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram tomorrow; PM Modi to attend | Zee News
Last Updated: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - 22:50

385344-apj888jpg.jpg

Rameswaram: Large number of people from different walks of life paid their last respects to former president A.P.J.Abdul Kalam as his body was brought to his hometown on Wednesday evening ahead of his state funeral where Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be present.

The body of Kalam, also a distinguished scientist and a teacher and popularly known as "People's President' and "Missile Man", reached this Hindu pilgrim town, around 600 km from Chennai, in the evening.

The casket containing Kalam's body was carried in an army vehicle from Mandapam, around 22 km from here, and a large number of people lined up on both sides of the road to have a final glimpse of their beloved former president.

The mortal remains of Kalam were brought to Mandapam from Madurai in a helicopter after being flown there from Delhi in a special Indian Air Force aircraft. Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu and Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar accompanied the casket.

At Madurai, the body was received by Tamil Nadu Governor K. Rosaiah.

From Madurai, Kalam's body was brought in a helicopter to Mandapam where state ministers, members of the armed forces and others paid their last respects to the departed leader.

Speaking to reporters, Venkaiah Naidu said there was no leader like Kalam in recent times who had endeared himself to the people, particularly to the youth. He also said Modi will be here on Thursday to pay his last respects to Kalam at his funeral.

Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and several other leaders would also attend Kalam's last rites on Thursday.

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa, however, announced her inability to travel to Rameswaram owing to her health condition. She also announced that the government had allotted land for burying Kalam's mortal remains at the request of his family.

A large number of people who had been waiting near the bus stand here since morning paid their last respects to the youth icon in a peaceful manner.

Political leaders like DMK's M.K. Stalin, MDMK's Vaiko and others also paid their homage to Kalam here.

Meanwhile, his family members have also reached here.

"All our relatives have also arrived to attend the last rites," A.P.J.M.K. Sheik Saleem, the former president's brother's grandson, told IANS.

Saleem said Kalam's body would be kept near the town's main bus stand to enable people to pay their last respects.

"Public can pay their homage till 8 p.m. after which the body will be taken to his house on Mosque Street," he said.

According to Saleem, the last rites will be performed around 10.30 a.m. on Thursday.

Born in Rameswaram on October 15, 1931, Kalam, as a boy, hawked newspapers to supplement his family income. His father owned a boat, and his mother constantly struggled to keep the family sufficiently fed and clothed. His sister pawned jewellery with a moneylender so that the studious Kalam could have Rs.600 when he decided to leave Rameswaram to join the Madras Institute of Technology.

Public emotions were running high that a boy with humble origins from this coastal town who rose to great heights had passed away.

Many locals were unable to believe he was no more.

"Kalam was Rameswaram's gift to the world. It is sad that this gift has left us," Rameshwaram resident A. Johnson told IANS.

Another resident Inoja said: "There are no words to express my feelings. I am still not able to believe that Kalam is no more."

Young S. Muthunambu said in a choked voice: "I am unable to accept his death. Kalam had come to our school. He stressed that we all should study hard."

Security has been tightened at Rameswaram in view of the large number of people, including ministers and others, who are expected to attend Kalam's last rites.

Hoteliers told IANS that all rooms in major hotels had been booked for two days.

Tri-services personnel carry the mortal remains of former President APJ Abdul Kalam at Mandapam Helipad ground in Rameswaram
385266-daypics-290715-ra7.jpg

Expression of love:Students paying tributes to A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, former President of India, at St. Mary’s Higher Secondary School in Dindigul on Tuesday.— PHOTO: G. KARTHIKEYAN
28july_dgrajns5_29_2490072f.jpg

28july_RNJWSHI-_29_2490067f.jpg

Funeral at Pei Karumbu tomorrow - The Hindu

The mortal remains of former President A. P. J. Abdul Kalam would be laid to rest here on Thursday morning.

His body would be brought here from New Delhi on Wednesday afternoon and after public homage till 8 p.m., the funeral would be held at Pei Karumbu, the entry point to the island, off the National Highway around 10.30 a.m. on Thursday, Collector K Nanthakumar said.

The district administration shortlisted three places for the funeral and finalised Pei Karumbu area after consulting A.P.J.M. Maraikayar, the elder brother of Kalam and other family members, sources said. The government has set apart 1.36 acres of land for the ceremony. A memorial could be built in the area in future, the sources said.

According to the Collector, the body would be brought from Delhi to Madurai airport by a special aircraft and will be taken to Mandapam helipad in a chopper. The mortal remains would be kept at the open ground opposite the bus stand till 8 p.m., for the public to pay their homage.

Later, the body would be handed over to the family members and taken in a procession to the funeral site on Thursday morning, the Collector said.

Family sources said the body would be kept in the house overnight before taking it to the Mohideen Aandavar mosque, located near the House of Kalam for prayers. Later, it would be taken in a procession to the funeral site for burial, the sources said.

Students of Mandapam Panchyat Union Middle School in Rameswaram, where Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam studied, paying homage.— Photo: L. BALACHANDAR
28july_rmdwscns_MA_2490144f.jpg

28JULYEVE02-Tri_29_2490025g.jpg
28JULYEVE02-Tri_29_2490026g.jpg

Kalam’s college mate recalls his friendship - The Hindu
Says he always discussed the country’s future

28july_dgrajns4_MA_2490143e.jpg

V. Mohammad Meeran of Dindigul, a retired Chief Engineer of State Highways Department, was one of the best friends of former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam during his college days in Tiruchi as well as in Chennai.

Recalling his collage days with Dr. Kalam, Mr. Meeran, who did his intermediate course in St. Joseph’s College in Tiruchi, said here on Tuesday that they were close friends and strict vegetarians. “We used to go to vegetarian mess along with Brahmin students. He was very much interested in philosophy, literature and poetry. He always discussed the future of the country while walking on college campus in the evenings,” Mr. Meeran recalled. “The God should have permitted him to live at least till 2020 to make India a powerful nation.”

He met Dr. Kalam at St. Joseph’s College in 1950. Their common interest in religion, and philosophical and literary pursuits galvanised their friendship. Later, Mr. Meeran went to Guindy Engineering College and Dr. Kalam to MIT, Chennai. But their friendship continued in Chennai too.

“I stayed with him in his room No. 10 at Birla Hostel, MIT, on two occasions: to attend my graduation ceremony and to purchase my marriage suit. He accompanied me to select the marriage suit in 1956. After that, I met him at St. Mary’s School in Dindigul in 2001. Till then, letter communication had strengthened our friendship,” he said.

Mr. Meeran preserved several letters written by Dr. Kalam to him and also poetic commentary about their friendship in his college autograph book in 1951. Most of his letters were in Tamil.

School and college students paying homage to the former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam at a condolence meet in Mangaluru on Tuesday. Photo: K.S. Manjunath.
Bengaluru-Kalam_2490180g.jpg

Speech, hearing and visually impaired students, and children from tribal communities in Karnataka, who were on their maiden expedition to the Himalayas, interacting with the then President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in Delhi in 2006. Photo: Special Arrangement
28mysbr_kalam_H_29_2490094g.jpg

The former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam greeting children with special needs atone of the JSS institutions in Mysuru. Seen is Sri Shivarathri Deshikendra Swami of Suttur Mutt.— File Photo: M.A. Sriram
28mysbr_closebo_28_2490138g.jpg

Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu and employees paying tributes to fomer President APJ Abdul Kalam at A.P. Secretariat on Tuesday.
naidu_2489432g.jpg

A file picture of former President APJ Abdul Kalam with Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu at at the interactive lecture series "Agenda For Nation' organised by Hyderabad Management Association in Hyderabad on June 7, 2003.
kalam_naidu_2489286g.jpg

Vice Chairman of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan Public School S. Gopala Krishnan along with staff and Students pay floral tribute to former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam in Hyderabad on Tuesday. Photo: Nagara Gopal
hydkalam_2489271g.jpg

Governor of Tamil Nadu Dr. K. Rosaiah pays tribute to Former President Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam at Madurai Airport. Photo: Special Arrangement
ROSAIAH_2490455g.jpg

Tri-service personnel at the Mandapam helipad begin rehearsals for the general salute.
Mandapam_2490294g.jpg

People waiting to pay their last respects to mortal remains of Abdul Kalam in Mandapam on Wednesday. Photo: R.Ashok
KALAM_1_2490407g.jpg

Street children pay tribute to former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam at Sarai Kale Khan, in New Delhi on Tuesday. Photo: Sushil Kumar Verma
29DE_STREETDEL_2490198g.jpg

Prime Minister's Office
30-July, 2015 17:15 IST
PM attends last rites of Former President Abdul Kalam at Rameswaram

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, today attended the last rites of Former President, Bharat Ratna APJ Abdul Kalam, at Rameswaram. The Prime Minister paid homage and offered his last respects to the former President. He met and offered condolences to the family members of the former President.

President's Secretariat
30-July, 2015 18:54 IST
Change of Guard Ceremony not to be held on August 1

The Change of Guard Ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan will not be held on Saturday (August 1, 2015) due to national mourning on the sad demise of Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, former President of India.

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi being received by the Governor of Tamil Nadu, Dr. K. Rosaiah, on his arrival at Mandapam camp helipad, in Tamil Nadu on July 30, 2015.
s2015073068131.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi pays homage to the former President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, at burial site, Rameswaram, in Tamil Nadu on July 30, 2015.
s2015073068132.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi pays homage to the former President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, at burial site, Rameswaram, in Tamil Nadu on July 30, 2015.
s2015073068133.jpg

s2015073068134.jpg

s2015073068135.jpg

s2015073068140.jpg

s2015073068136.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi offers condolences to the family of the former President of India, late Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, at burial site, Rameswaram, in Tamil Nadu on July 30, 2015.
s2015073068137.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi offers condolences to the family of the former President of India, late Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, at burial site, Rameswaram, in Tamil Nadu on July 30, 2015.
s2015073068138.jpg

s2015073068139.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi attending the last rites of the former President of India, late Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, at Rameswaram, in Tamil Nadu on July 30, 2015. The Governor of Tamil Nadu, Dr. K. Rosaiah, the Union Minister for Urban Development, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Parliamentary Affairs, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu and the Union Minister for Defence, Shri Manohar Parrikar are also seen.
s2015073068144.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi attending the last rites of the former President of India, late Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, at Rameswaram, in Tamil Nadu on July 30, 2015. The Governor of Tamil Nadu, Dr. K. Rosaiah, the Union Minister for Urban Development, Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation and Parliamentary Affairs, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu and the Union Minister for Defence, Shri Manohar Parrikar are also seen.
s2015073068145.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi attending the last rites of the former President of India, late Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, at Rameswaram, in Tamil Nadu on July 30, 2015.
s2015073068146.jpg

The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi attending the last rites of the former President of India, late Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, at Rameswaram, in Tamil Nadu on July 30, 2015.
s2015073068147.jpg

Some more pictures

APJ Abdul Kalam's body being taken to burial ground in Rameswaram. -twitter@ANI_news
385437-dpz-30jlab-34.jpg

APJ Abdul Kalam's body being taken to burial ground in Rameswaram. -twitter@ANI_news
385438-dpz-30jlab-33.jpg

385439-dpz-30jlab-32.jpg

385440-dpz-30jlab-31.jpg

385441-dpz-30jlab-35.jpg

385442-dpz-30jlab-36.jpg

Rahul Gandhi at last rites ceremony of #DrKalam -twitter@ANI_news
385511-dpz-30jlab-49.jpg

Burial of Former President APJ Abdul Kalam takes place -twitter@ANI_news
385512-dpz-30jlab-48.jpg

385513-dpz-30jlab-47.jpg

385514-dpz-30jlab-46.jpg

385515-dpz-30jlab-45.jpg

People offer prayers after the burial of Former President APJ Abdul Kalam -twitter@ANI_news
385524-dpz-30jlab-52.jpg

People offer prayers after the burial of Former President APJ Abdul Kalam -twitter@ANI_news
385525-dpz-30jlab-51.jpg

Thousands bid tearful final adieu to the mortal remains of former President A P J Abdul Kalam  - The Hindu
Updated: July 30, 2015 13:28 IST
procession_2491605f.jpg

Mortal remains of former President A P J Abdul Kalam being taken in a procession in Rameswaram on Thursday. Photo L. Balachandar

Many people took vantage positions at top of their houses, balconies to have a last glimpse of the 'People’s President'.

Thousands of people from various walks of life bid a tearful final adieu to the mortal remains of former President A P J Abdul Kalam after last rites and prayers at his ancestral home here and a brief stop-over for “janaza prayer” at the nearby mosque on Thursday morning.

A profound moment of grief rent the air as the body was brought out from the “House of Kalam” after family members gave a wash to the body and offered prayers, before it was taken to the nearby mosque for the final prayers.

The Imam of the ‘Mohideen Aandavar pallivasal’ (mosque), near Kalam’s house conducted a brief ‘Janaza prayer’ for Kalam’s soul to rest in peace. The body was then brought out from the mosque by family members and placed on the cortege by personnel from armed forces for the final journey at 9.55 a.m.

A large number of people, who gathered inside and outside the mosque, were moved to tears as the cortege took the final journey from the mosque to the burial site to the shouts of “nare takbeer’, ‘Kalam sab hamara hai’ and ‘Jai Hind’. People lined up on either side of the road and paid their last respects with folded hands and tears in their eyes.

Many people took vantage positions at top of their houses, balconies to have a last glimpse of the 'People’s President' though the body was covered with a white cloth wrapped in tri-colour and the coffin with a green cloth with verses from Quran printed in Arabic.

After a vain bid to get a glimpse, people walked along with the cortege in the final journey to the burial site, where Prime Minister Narendra Modi led the official mourning on behalf of the Government of India.

Earlier, after public paid homage till 10.05 p.m. on Wednesday, the mortal remains of Mr Kalam was brought to his house at 10.15 p.m. and kept in the house overnight as family members kept praying.

The body was kept in the open ground in front of the bus stand for an extended two hours till 10 p.m. to enable people who had come from far and near to pay their homage. A large number of people have poured in from neighbouring states of Andhra Pradesh, Kerala and Karnataka.

A rally being taken out in Thanjavur on Wednesday.— Photo: R.M. Rajarathinam
29july_tanren03_TY_2491104f.jpg

Doctors and staff paying tribute to former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam at Dindigul Government Headquarters Hospital on Wednesday; shops at Gandhi Market remain closed as a mark of respect to the former President.— PHOTOS: G. KARTHIKEYAN
29july_dgrajns2_MA_2491113g.jpg

APJ_2491982f.jpg

Rameswaram: A Military Vehicle carrying the mortal remains of former President APJ Abdul Kalam from Mandapam Helipad ground to public view ground via Pamban Bridge in Rameswaram on Wednesday. PTI Photo by R Senthil Kumar
20150729184755.jpg

Namaz-e-Janaza of Dr. Kalam at Rameswaram
APJ Abdul Kalam Last Rites,Rameswaram, PM Modi pays Respects-TV9 - YouTube

Kalam1_2493274f.jpg

A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and Bhagiratharao at the foundation stone laying in DRDL computer centre.
A tribute to Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam from his friend E. Bhagiratharao, former DLRI director - The Hindu

A scientists recalls the qualities of Dr. Kalam that shaped the DRDO and inspired the nation.
Dr. A.P.J. Kalamwas a friend of mine for over 40 years — from 1973. The first time I met him was about a year earlier, when he was working as a Junior Scientist at the Aeronautical Development Establishment in Bangalore, where its Director, Air Cmd. Krishnamurty had taken me to see a “hovercraft” being developed by ADE. With lot of enthusiasm, Dr. Kalam and his co-workers demonstrated the functioning of the hovercraft under development.

He said that it would be very useful to travel over the sea near his native place in Rameswaram over some distances after further development was done. From October 1973 for over six months, our interaction was quite intense as he had been nominated by Prof. Satish Dhawan as a member of the task force set up by the government on using artificial satellites for different purposes. I was the Chairman of the task force, which had members from the three services, Department of Space, Department of Telecommunications and a few others. Dr. Kalam’s contribution to preparing the report was substantial. Even at that time he was talking about including “payload recovery” after re-entry of that module from space. He and his team prepared the sketches, and made presentations to the task force members. The task force report, which was declassified in 1981, indeed covered this aspect in a simple academic way. From that time onwards, due to some commonality of professional interests, we stayed in touch. I used to attend seminars and workshops conducted by the ISRO, where we met a few times.
In mid-1981, I invited Dr. Raja Ramanna who was at that time our Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister, and Dr. Kalam, who was working as Director at the ISRO headquarters in Bangalore, to the Defence Electronics Application Laboratory (DEAL) in Dehradun to inaugurate and deliver a technical lecture there. In his speech, Dr. Kalam paid compliments to our laboratory saying that while everyone complained about our poor communications, DEAL was able to contact him two to three times a day during the past few days. After that function, Dr. Rajaramanna had a discussion in my office about the possibility of Dr. Kalam joining as Director of the DRDL in Hyderabad to provide leadership to India’s missiles programme. Dr. Kalam replied that Prof. Satish Dhawan would have to decide on that. That was how Dr. Kalam joined the DRDO. This episode has been covered in Dr Kalam’s first book “Wings of Fire”.

In June 1982, he joined as Director of DRDL while I was Director of the Defence Electronics Research Laboratory from January 1982. By then DRDL and DLRL had been working closely for a few years on different aspects of DRDL’s missile programmes. This necessitated that these two laboratories interact quite closely. Inputs from many DRDO laboratories, apart from these two laboratories, resulted in the famous Integrated Guided Missiles Development programme (IGMDP) of India. Dr. Kalam’s superb personal qualities, and his proven capability of team building, hard work and utmost sincerity and honesty were the important assets which were sorely needed to provide leadership to a complex, multi-disciplined, multi-organizational IGMDP. Dr. Kalam’s willingness to hear the viewpoint of any person engaged in the projects, capacity of convincing leaders of several industries to undertake development/production work, and giving importance to everyone in the team resulted in IGMDP giving the desired results, though with some time and cost overruns.

This gave the Armed Forces and the government enough confidence to undertake collaborative projects with Russia (Brahmos) Israel (BARAK-8SAM) and France (MAITRI) as well as with Bharat Dynamics Limited( MBDA project) in Hyderabad. The visualisation, planning and establishment of Research Centre Imarat, a 2,000-acres facility a few kilometres away from DRDL, was principally intended to develop some of the technologies needed for the IGMDP and carry out evaluation and integration of missile hardware and software. This was successfully done by Dr. Kalam by pooling the knowledge and talents of large numbers of engineers, scientists, industrialists and administrators. This gigantic task could not have been done by others. The legacy created and implemented by Dr. Kalam is used by all DRDO laboratories now. That is what DRDO and our country has gained from Dr. Kalam’s stint at the DRDO from June 1982 to June 1991. It significantly changed the way major laboratories in DRDO handled their projects as well as the human and financial resources placed under them.

Kalam2_2493273a.jpg

Dr. Kalam with the author and other colleagues having a casual moment at a kacheri in Kanchanbagh, the DRDO staff accommodation.

In Kanchanbagh, where DRDO officers and staff were given accommodation, we started a carnatic music sabha called Hamsadwani, organising one kacheri each month. Despite his many commitments, Dr. Kalam did manage to attend a few of the concerts, always held in. He knew about my deep interest in carnatic music. Once in 1985 or so, both of us were staying in the same room of the DRDO guest house (which was then in a hired house in Khelgaum constructed for the Asian Games. During our informal chat, he expressed his intense desire to play on the veena “Endero mahanu bhavulu”. I said he would find it very difficult as it is the most difficult of the Pancha Ratna kritis of Saint Tyagaraja and the kriti has lot of embellishments. But he said he knew the meaning of the lyric and so wanted to learn it and play it on the veena. As I did not know Tamil script and he did not know Telugu script, we spent lot of time to ensure that he copied the lyric that I was dictating without errors. He wanted me to send him a tape on which this kriti had been recorded as vocal and also on the veena, which I did. About a month or two later, when both of us were attending a meeting, Dr. Kalam vocally rendered one of the charanams of the kriti, to my utter surprise. Such was his determination to fulfill any target he set for himself.

During the last week of December 1991, we were both returning from Delhi to Hyderabad by Indian Airlines. I was panicking as we both were “wait-listed passengers” and I had already planned to go to Tirumala the next day with my wife and son as I was retiring on the December 31. I told Dr. Kalam that I will ring up the head of Airports Authority of India and tell him that a Padma Bhushan awardee and his friend had been wait-listed on the Hyderabad flight and request his help to get two seats. Dr. Kalam said firmly that his Padma Bhushan must not be used for this purpose. He was continuously assuring me that Lord Venkateswara himself would ensure that I and my family would have darsan as planned. I did end up asking a friend in AAI for help, but that incident revealed to me Dr. Kalam’s integrity and openness.

When we two were in Kanchanbaug, he mentioned that after his retirement or even earlier, he wanted to finance two or three mobile hospitals using big bus bodies and employ some doctors and use their talents and services to provide medical aid and medicines to poor families living away from cities. So Dr. Kalam being involved in Ambulance 108 was no surprise to me.

Dr. Kalam was conferred the Honorary Doctor of Science degree, first by Wolverhampton University, U.K., in 2007.This was followed by several universities awarding him honorary degrees -- over 30 of them, a unique recognition of his deep interest in several areas of science and technology. He was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1981, the Padma Vibhushan in 1990 and India’s highest civilian award, the Bharat Ratna, in 1997. When I was awarded Lifetime Achievement Award from DRDO in 2012, he congratulated me on the phone saying something to the effect “You have got the lifetime award of the DRDO now, which you should have got earlier.” I said no DRDO scientist would ever get the Bharat Ratna, which he had got. He said, “You never know.”

In 2006, I went to see Dr. Kalam at the Rashtrapati Bhavan. I was ushered into his picturesque room, which had a splendid view of a fountain in the adjacent garden. When I was going towards his desk to greet him he stood up, surprising me. After we shook hands and sat down, he enquired whether I was still perusing my musical interests (Yes!). Seeing my diary in my hand, he enquired whether I had brought a book as a present. I said, what present could I bring the President of India. He smiled and said my calling on him was a present! He suggested that I should write a book on my experiences in the DRDO. While I was doubtful of coming out with anything worth publishing, the much-published author was confident, saying start it and see, it would take only a modest effort. The visit justified the wise statement that some persons occupying a position bring prestige to that position rather than other way round.

As President of India, Dr. Kalam personified dignity and optimism throughout India and abroad. Many dignitaries say that his stirring speeches, whether at a seminar, a college function or in Parliament, brought out his simplicity in oration and action .This aspect was applauded by one and all and may be the principle reason for his being loved and respected. For a very long time, Dr. Kalam will remain as one of the finest human beings ever to have lived. The successful and illustrious life that he lived, and the legacy he has left for us will continue to inspire and encourage children and youngsters in the world, especially in India for many years to come.

May his soul rest in eternal peace.

School children and their teachers pay tribute to former President APJ Abdul Kalam in Moradabad on Thursday. PTI Photo
20150731021123.gif

People offer flower petals on the grave of former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam during his funeral ceremony in Rameswaram, India, Thursday, July 30, 2015.Tens of thousands of people gathered in the southern Indian town of Rameswaram on Thursday for the burial of Kalam, known as the father of the country's missile program. AP Photo
20150731020129.gif

My late pranam to the great soul .

India and Indian will never forget the service you gave the country .

Hope your soul attains moksha .

UN chief Ban Ki-moon condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death | Zee News
Last Updated: Saturday, August 1, 2015 - 11:19

New York: Describing former President APJ Abdul Kalam as a "great statesman", UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has said that the outpouring of grief around the world following his death is a testament of the respect and inspiration he has garnered during and after his Presidency.

In a special gesture, the UN Chief visited the Permanent Mission of India to the UN here yesterday to sign the condolence book placed following the death of the 11th President of India and an accomplished scientist.

The book has been open over the last couple of days to Ambassadors of all member state to express their condolences.

Ban expressed his deepest condolences on the passing of the former Indian President in his message.

"The outpouring of grief around the world is a testament of the respect and inspiration he has garnered during and after his Presidency. The UN joins the people of India in sending our deepest condolences for this great statesman. May he rest in peace and eternity," Ban said in his message.

Kalam died on July 27 following a cardiac arrest at the age of 83. He was in Shillong to deliver a lecture at the prestigious IIM and collapsed on stage just a few minutes into his speech.

PTI

Students paying floral tribute on the portrait of former president APJ Abdul Kalam on the first day of college session at Handique Girls College in Guwahati.
386353-1-8-2015-gh10-o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom