What's new

Former President APJ Abdul Kalam Dies at 83: Press Trust of India

The Minister of State for Science and Technology and Earth Science, Shri Y.S. Chowdary paying homage at the mortal remains of the former President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, in New Delhi on July 28, 2015.
s2015072868104.jpg

The Minister of State for Agriculture, Shri Mohanbhai Kalyanjibhai Kundariya paying homage at the mortal remains of the former President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, in New Delhi on July 28, 2015.
s2015072868105.jpg

The Union Minister for Defence, Shri Manohar Parrikar paying homage at the mortal remains of the former President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, in New Delhi on July 28, 2015.
s2015072868107.jpg

The Speaker, Lok Sabha, Smt. Sumitra Mahajan paying homage at the mortal remains of the former President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, in New Delhi on July 28, 2015.
s2015072868108.jpg

The Minister of State for Planning (Independent Charge) and Defence, Shri Rao Inderjit Singh paying homage at the mortal remains of the former President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, in New Delhi on July 28, 2015.
s2015072868109.jpg

Ministry of Science & Technology
28-July, 2015 20:07 IST
Dr. Harsh Vardhan Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Condols the Demise of Former President of India Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam

Dr. Harsh Vardhan Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Condols the Demise of Former President of India Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam

In the demise of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, former President of India, the country has lost one of its most loved President, distinguished Scientist and an intellectual par excellence, a great human being, perfectionist, visionary statesman, who was adored by one and all Indians here in India and also abroad.

As Science and Technology Minister, I strongly miss him today along with the entire scientific community of the country. His contribution giving us indigenous missile system and nuclear capability shall always be remembered by everyone with great respect. The youth and the students of India shall always miss him as a fatherly figure, who continuously inspired and motivated them to become good human beings with vision for serving the society, nation and for promoting universal brotherhood. I along with the scientists of the country join others in praying to the Almighty for rest to his soul in peace.

The Science & Technology Ministry shall always miss a great scientific researcher, scientific visionary and a friend of science for all times to come. May God always bless his noble soul.

Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
28-July, 2015 18:11 IST
Shri Hansraj Gangaram Ahir condoles the death of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

Shri Hansraj Gangaram Ahir, Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers has expressed his sorrow over the sudden demise of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, former President of India.

“I am deeply saddened by the news of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalamji’s death. I was personally impressed with the personality of Dr. Kalam Ji. He had visited my Parliamentary Constituency Chandrapur (Maharashtra) in the month of February, 2014 and with his cordial behavior he found place in the hearts of the people and students of that area.

Dr. Kalam Ji was a great Scientist, Professor and Leader. Anyone can be forgotten but not a man like Dr. Abdul Kalam who choose a life of selflessness and generosity. He is popularly known as people’s President.

As a Scientist, he made all out efforts to make our Country a Super Power in the field of nuclear weapon programme and thus, he is known as Missile Man of India. In the year 1998, Pokharan Nuclear Weapon Test was successfully conducted under his active leadership.

I offer my deepest condolence. I will forever keep his memory in my mind and heart.”

.******

Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
28-July, 2015 10:19 IST
Shri Ananth Kumar condoles the death of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

Shri Ananth Kumar, Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers has expressed his sorrow over the sudden demise of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, former President of India.

“With the passing away of Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam, India has lost a great visionary who ignited minds with his great intellect and also had the utmost compassion for and touched every Indian alike, young and old, rich and poor, haves and have-nots. He was the ideal President, Scientist and Thinker.

He was very dear to every Indian’s heart, and it is a great personal loss for me as I had the honour and good fortune to spend many inspiring moments with him. Every interaction with him left me in awe of this extraordinary man.

I pray to the Almighty to bestow peace to this great soul Dr. Kalam, who has left a void in every Indian’s life.”

Envoys of several countries pay homage to Dr Kalam | Zee News

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 20:33
New Delhi: Envoys of several countries including Pakistan on Tuesday paid homage to former President APJ Abdul Kalam whose mortal remains were brought here from Shillong, where he died last night.

While Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit and Israeli Ambassador Daniel Carmon were among the top foreign diplomats to visit the late President's residence here to pay tributes, many others conveyed their condolences.

"My condolences to the Indian people on the passing of former President Abdul Kalam, an inspiring scientist and leader," US Ambassador Richard Verma said.

Carmon said, "Joining the Indian People and Government in mourning the passing away of ex President, a brilliant scientist and role model A P J Abdul Kalam. I was fortunate and honoured to have met this great man and to be inspired by his personality, achievements and vision. RIP."

In its condolence message, Pakistan High Commission said, "May Allah Almighty rest the departed soul in peace and give fortitude to the bereaved family to bear this irreparable loss."

Meanwhile, condolence messages also poured in from world leaders.

Expressing deep sorrow over the demise of Kalam, Nepal's Prime Minister Sushil Koirala recalled his contributions to lead India in the path of scientific advancement and progress.

"I am saddened to hear the news of the demise of former Indian president Kalam," he said.

In a message, Koirala expressed his condolences to his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi, Government of India, relatives of Kalam and the Indian people, on behalf of the government and people of Nepal.

"Nepal has lost a good friend and I have lost an honoured and ideal personality," he said.

Maldivian High Commissioner to India Ahmed Mohamed said, "Sincere condolences on the sad demise of Dr APJ Kalam. A great and inspirational Indian President."

PTI

Russian Prez Putin condoles Kalam's demise, hails him for strengthening ties between two nations | Zee News

New Delhi: The popularity of former Indian president APJ Abdul Kalam is far-stretched. Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday paid tributes to India's 'Missile Man', calling him an exponent of closer friendly relations between the two nations.

Putin in his message said, “Kindly accept deepest condolences on sad passing away of the former President of India Dr Abdul Kalam. In Russia, He will be remembered as a consistent exponent of closer friendly relations between our nations who has done a lot for cementing mutually beneficial Russian-Indian cooperation.”

Meanwhile, Prime Minister of Malaysia, Mohd Najib Tun Razak also paid homage to Kalam by tweeting, “Condolences to the friends and family of India's former president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam. His passing is a loss to the scientific community.”

Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit and Israeli Ambassador Daniel Carmon were among the top foreign diplomats to visit the late President's residence here to pay tributes, many others conveyed their condolences.

"My condolences to the Indian people on the passing of former President Abdul Kalam, an inspiring scientist and leader," US Ambassador Richard Verma said.

Kalam breathed his last on July 27, 2015 in Shilong.

First Published: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 21:25

APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi? | Zee News

New Delhi: The funeral of former president of India, APJ Abdul Kalam, who passed away in Shillong on Monday night will be held in Rameswaram, his birth place, on July 30 with full military honours.

Dr Kalam's body was brought to Delhi today where the powerful and the commoners, jostled to offer their last respects to the 'People's President'.

President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and leaders cutting across political divide led the nation in paying homage to a leader who rose from humble origins to occupy the top office.

Tomorrow, gun carriage with the mortal remains of Kalam will leave his 10 Rajaji Marg residence here for Palam at 7 am tomorrow, as per Defence Ministry spokesperson Sitanshu Kar.

Then a special aircraft carrying the mortal remains will take off from the Palam airport at 7.45 am.

From Madurai, the mortal remains will be flown in to Rameswaram by an IAF helicopter.

The former president's body will lie in state till 7 pm for public to pay homage, Kar said.

The funeral will take place on Thursday at his native place around 11 am in Rameswaram.

And this is being done in accordance with the wishes of the family of Dr Kalam.

The former president's elder brother Muthu Mohammed Meeran Marakkair (99) is said to have insisted that the last rites be held there.

Meanwhile, a Rameswaram report, quoting officials, said Kalam's funeral would take place at Pekarambu, a place covered with pure white sand dunes, where arrangements were being made to bury his mortal remains, as per PTI.

The site where his body would be buried is 'Mayana Puramboke' (revenue land meant for graveyard), officials said.

Officials said a pandal was being put up to enable VVIPs to pay homage near the bus stand in this town.

after enabling the public to pay their last respects, the body would be handed over to relatives for performing the last rites.

As per the tentative programme, Kalam's body would be taken to the Mohideen Andavar mosque and then to his house where the funeral rites would be performed.

Mosque officials were making arrangements for conducting prayers before the mortal remains are interred.

(With Agency inputs)

Thirukkalachery Mosque (Mohaideen Andavar Mosque)
800px-Thirukkalachery_Mosque.jpg

Former President APJ Abdul Kalam's brother Mohammed Muthu Meera Lebbai Maraicker mourns his death

Describing late former president APJ Abdul Kalam as a personality who never demanded anything for himself, his brother Mohammed Muthu Meera Lebbai Maraicker on Tuesday said he doesn`t how he will sleep again at night.

"Abdul had lived with me from his childhood. Today passing away of him is a big loss for me. I don`t know whether I will sleep now onwards because I have always his thoughts in my mind. He is the personality who has never demanded anything for him," Maraicker told ANI.

"The government had accorded its full respect to him, so there is nothing which we could demand," he added.

Kalam role model for all: Vishwa Hindu Parishad | Zee News

New Delhi: Terming APJ Abdul Kalam's demise as an "irreparable loss", Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) today said the former President was a role model for all, including Muslims who should look up to him for the progress of the community and the country.

Speaking at an interaction here, VHP joint general secretary Surendra Jain said Kalam was a person beyond the boundaries of any religion.

"But even if we consider him a Muslim, he is a role model for the Muslim society. Their role models cannot be Ghazni, Aurangzeb, Jinnah or leaders like Owaisi or Azam Khan.

"If the Muslims of the country have to progress, then they should accept APJ Abdul Kalam as their role model who spent each moment of his life for the country and its progress," Jain told reporters here.

Meanwhile, criticising those speaking in favour of Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon, Jain said they were showing a lack of faith in the judicial process. He claimed the letters in favour of Memon by the "secular gang" was an attempt to influence the legal process.

Reacting to statements made by Asaduddin Owaisi suggesting Memon had met this fate because of his religion, Jain said the AIMIM chief could only see his vote bank, and accused him of "trying to become second Jinnah".

"Of the 140 capital punishments awarded in the country, only seven happened to be Muslim," he said to make his point.

Renowned artist Ramzan Hussain makes a pencil sketch of former President APJ Abdul Kalam to pay tribute to him, in Kolkata on Tuesday. PTI Photo
20150728192810.jpg

SSM School students are conducting absorbed one minute silence during the condolence meeting of Former President APJ Abdul Kalam Sad demise, at School premises, Rukmininagar, T Dasarahalli in Bengaluru on Tuesday. DH Photo.
20150728192645.jpg

School children in tears as they light candles to pay tribute to former President APJ Abdul Kalam at their school campus in Chennai on Tuesday. PTI Photo.
20150728192559.jpg

Hmmm.. He is an Indian patriot first.. So obviously his priority was the betterment of India not Bangladesh.. So you cant hold that against him.

And thats the same reason he used the Indian greeting not some alien Arabic one.. Cos he was an Indian first and the rest after.

I think we need to appreciate leaders like that, Irrespective of where we come from, Because in South Asia they are few and far between

You obviously have no idea about how Muslims greet each other. Whether you are an Arab, an Indian or an Australian, the Muslim greeting is universal. Clasping palms is the Namaste for Hindus - not just Indian Hindus but Australian too.

I hear that he was the brain behind India's river linking project. If that is true, no respect.

You hear right. Moreover, he ought to have resigned in protest over the genocide of Muslims perpetrated by Modi. India then wouldn't have been burdened with an Adolf.

You obviously have no idea about how Muslims greet each other. Whether you are an Arab, an Indian or an Australian, the Muslim greeting is universal. Clasping palms is the Namaste for Hindus - not just Indian Hindus but Australian too.

For Muslims in India, its not any issue, They do greet and say Hindus by saying Namaste, Ram Ram, Aadab.

and even Hindus do greet Muslims by saying Assalaamualaikum in India.

You hear right. Moreover, he ought to have resigned in protest over the genocide of Muslims perpetrated by Modi. India then wouldn't have been burdened with an Adolf.

Without dwelling at my disagreement at your post, just a correction there.If you are talking about the Gujarat riots that happened in 2002(not the first to happen in Gujarat), they happened in the month of February/March. If memory serves right,Dr. Kalam was not the President of India at that time of the riots. In fact there were also media reports about the former President Mr.Narayanan seeking a second term. He was elected as the President after some time in 2002, i think July or August. His name was recommended by the BJP and supported by both the Congress and the other regional parties.

1.Although always greeting with palms closed in namaste, he claimed himself to be a Muslim. Never heard/saw him greeting , "As' Salam Alaikum." Never-the-less, may the Merciful, all-forgiving Allah accept him in His abode.

Really? Namaste is an age old greeting, and it's not solely a religious thing. It's no different to the hand shake to western civilization.

And please dont tell me there arent any pre-Islamic pagan Arabic mannerisms in Muslim culture, cause it's probably riddled with it.

For Muslims in India, its not any issue, They do greet and say Hindus by saying Namaste, Ram Ram, Aadab.

and even Hindus do greet Muslims by saying Assalaamualaikum in India.

Non-Muslims are not required to be greeted with As Salam Alaikum / Peace Be Upon You. But we have never seen APJ greeting Muslims the way Muslims are to be greeted. Obviously he lacked pride in being a Muslim.

Non-Muslims are not required to be greeted with As Salam Alaikum / Peace Be Upon You. But we have never seen APJ greeting Muslims the way Muslims are to be greeted. Obviously he lacked pride in being a Muslim.
You are just looking at the world through your own narrow prism.

Doesn't matter to us....he was proud to be an Indian and did everything he could selflessly for the country.....just like he said"lets sacrifice our today to give a better future for the upcoming generation"......we hardly saw anyone doing this for the nation.....that's why the nation is mourning so much for him....may God give us some more Kalams....we need them badly.

Back
Top Bottom