What's new

Former President APJ Abdul Kalam Dies at 83: Press Trust of India

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam with former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 2003. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday.
384529-kalam-death-28jab13.jpg

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam with U.S. President George W. Bush and his wife Laura Bush in New Delhi 2006. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday.
384528-kalam-death-28jab14.jpg

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam in Mumbai in June 2010. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday.
384530-kalam-death-28jab12.jpg

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam with J & K Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed in Uri in June 2003. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday. He was 83.
384532-kalam-death-28jab10.jpg

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam with former Prime Minister A. B. Vajpayee and Swiss President Pascal Couchepin in New Delhi in Nov 2003. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday. He was 83.
384534-kalam-death-28jab08.jpg

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam with Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama in New Delhi in Nov 2012. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday. He was 83.
384535-kalam-death-28jab07.jpg

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam with Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg in September, 2004. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday. He was 83.
384536-kalam-death-28jab06.jpg

Abdul Kalam’s Final Moments: ‘He Did Not Show Pain, Only Purpose Was Visible’

Srijan Pal Singh shares a heart-rending account of the former President’s last day.

By Social Watch | Yahoo India – 3 hours ago
APJ Abdul Kalam’s advisor Srijan Pal Singh shared a full account of the former President’s final day in a Facebook post, saying the former President of India passed away painlessly. “There was stillness on his face and those wise eyes were motionlessly radiating wisdom,” Srijan wrote.

Kalam made a rough journey to Shillong where he breathed his last on Monday. Srijan writes they had a turbulent two-and-a-half hour monsoon flight followed by another two-and-a-half by road to the Indian Institute of Management, where Kalam suffered a fatal heart attack two minutes into his speech.

It has been eight hours since we last talked – sleep eludes me and memories keep flushing down, sometimes as tears. Our day, 27th July, began at 12 noon, when we took our seats in the flight to Guhawati. Dr. Kalam was 1A and I was IC. He was wearing a dark colored “Kalam suit”, and I started off complimenting, “Nice color!” Little did I know this was going to be the last color I will see on him.

Long, 2.5 hours of flying in the monsoon weather. I hate turbulence, and he had mastered over them. Whenever he would see me go cold in shaking plane, he would just pull down the window pane and saw, “Now you don’t see any fear!”.

2e4df8a0-34f2-11e5-adc6-cff0acdb6680_10926812_1036963863020402_3164542266528360085_o.jpg

Srijan Pal Singh with APJ Abdul Kalam (Facebook photo)

That was followed by another 2.5 hours of car drive to IIM Shillong. For these two legged trip of five hours we talked, discussed and debated. These were amongsthundreds of the long flights and longer drives we have been together over the last six years.

As each of them, this was as special too. Three incidents/discussions in particular will be “lasting memories of our last trip”.

First, Dr. Kalam was absolutely worried about the attacks in Punjab. The loss of innocent lives left him filledwith sorrow. The topic of lecture at IIM Shillong was Creating a Livable Planet Earth. He related the incident to the topic and said, “it seems the man made forces are as big a threat to the livability of earth as pollution”. We discussed on how, if this trend of violence, pollution and reckless human action continues we will forced to leave earth. “Thirty years, at this rate, maybe”, he said. “You guys must do something about it… it is going to be your future world”

Our second discussion was more national. For the past two days, Dr. Kalam was worried that time and again Parliament, the supreme institution of democracy, was dysfunctional. He said, “I have seen two different governments in my tenure. I have seen more after that. This disruption just keeps happening. It is not right. I really need to find out a way to ensure that the parliament works on developmental politics.” He then asked me to prepare a surprise assignment question for the students at IIM Shillong, which he would give them only at the end of the lecture. He wanted to them to suggest three innovative ways to make the Parliament more productive and vibrant. Then, after a while he returned on it. “But how can ask them to give solutions if I don’t have any myself”. For the next one hour, we thwarted options after options, who come up with his recommendation over the issue. We wanted to include this discussion in our upcoming book, Advantage India.

Third, was an experience from the beauty of his humility. We were in a convoy of 6-7 cars. Dr. Kalam and I were in the second car. Ahead us was an open gypsy with three soldiers in it. Two of them were sitting on either side and one lean guy was standing atop, holding his gun. One hour into the road journey, Dr. Kalam said, “Why is he standing? He will get tired. This is like punishment. Can you ask a wireless message to given that he may sit?” I had to convince him, he has been probably instructed to keep standing for better security. He did not relent. We tried radio messaging, that did not work. For the next 1.5 hours of the journey, he reminded me thrice to see if I can hand signal him to sit down. Finally, realizing there is little we can do – he told me, “I want to meet him and thank him”. Later, when we landed in IIM Shillong, I went inquiring through security people and got hold of the standing guy. I took him inside and Dr. Kalam greeted him. He shook his hand, said thank you buddy. “Are you tired? Would you like something to eat? I am sorry you had to stand so long because of me”. The young lean guard, draped in black cloth, was surprised at the treatment. He lost words, just said, “Sir, aapkeliye to 6 ghantebhikhaderahenge”.

58712c10-34f2-11e5-bb4d-c1e5244d0ebf_11794518_1036963696353752_6944192409144491524_o.jpg

After this, we went to the lecture hall. He did not want to be late for the lecture. “Students should never be made to wait”, he always said. I quickly set up his mike, briefed on final lecture and took position on the computers. As I pinned his mike, he smiled and said, “Funny guy! Are you doing well?” ‘Funny guy’, when said by Kalam could mean a variety of things, depending on the tone and your own assessment. It could mean, you have done well, you have messed up something, you should listen to him or just that you have been plain naïve or he was just being jovial. Over six years I had learnt to interpret Funny Guy like the back of my palm. This time it was the last case.

“Funny guy! Are you doing well?” he said. I smiled back, “Yes”. Those were the last words he said. Two minutes into the speech, sitting behind him, I heard a long pause after completing one sentence. I looked at him, he fell down.

”We picked him up. As the doctor rushed, we tried whatever we could. I will never forget the look in his three-quarter closed eyes and I held his head with one hand and tried reviving with whatever I could. His hands clenched, curled onto my finger. There was stillness on his face and those wise eyes were motionlessly radiating wisdom. He never said a word. He did not show pain, only purpose was visible.

In five minutes we were in the nearest hospital. In another few minutes the they indicated the missile man had flown away, forever. I touched his feet, one last time. Adieu old friend! Grand mentor! See you in my thoughts and meet in the next birth.

As turned back, a closet of thoughts opened.

Often he would ask me, “You are young, decide what will like to be remembered for?” I kept thinking of new impressive answers, till one day I gave up and resorted to tit-for-tat. I asked him back, “First you tell me, what will you like to be remembered for? President, Scientist, Writer, Missile man, India 2020, Target 3 billion…. What?” I thought I had made the question easier by giving options, but he sprang on me a surprise. “Teacher”, he said.

Then something he said two weeks back when we were discussing about his missile time friends. He said, “Children need to take care of their parents. It is sad that sometimes this is not happening”. He paused and said, “Two things. Elders must also do. Never leave wealth at your deathbed – that leaves a fighting family. Second, one is blessed is one can die working, standing tall without any long drawn ailing. Goodbyes should be short, really short”.

Today, I look back – he took the final journey, teaching, what he always wanted to be remembered doing. And, till his final moment he was standing, working and lecturing. He left us, as a great teacher, standing tall. He leaves the world with nothing accumulated in his account but loads of wishes and love of people. He was a successful, even in his end.

Will miss all the lunches and dinners we had together, will miss all the times you surprised me with your humility and startled me with your curiosity, will miss the lessons of life you taught in action and words, will miss our struggles to race to make into flights, our trips, our long debates. You gave me dreams, you showed me dreams need to be impossible, for anything else is a compromise to my own ability. The man is gone, the mission lives on. Long live Kalam.

Your indebted student,

Srijan Pal Singh

Abdul Kalam’s Final Moments: ‘He Did Not Show Pain, Only Purpose Was Visible’ - Yahoo News India

My respects to one of the Great Indians born and one of God's many gifts to India.

I will always respect you for so many things that its hard to list. You were and will always remain an inspiration to me and hundreds of millions of Indians.

Without a doubt you were one of the best President's of India.

You were a true karm yogi !

Last edited:
File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam with President Pranab Mukherjee in New Delhi in Dec 2014. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday. He was 83.
384537-kalam-death-28jab05.jpg

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam with former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi in Sep 2004. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday. He was 83.
384538-kalam-death-28jab04.jpg

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam with US President Barack Obama in New Delhi in Jan 2015. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday. He was 83.
384539-kalam-death-28jab03.jpg

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi in Jan 2015. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday. He was 83.
384540-kalam-death-28jab02.jpg

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam in Srinagar in June 2003. Kalam passed away in Shillong on Monday. He was 83.
384541-kalam-death-28jab01.jpg

File photo of former president APJ Abdul Kalam who passed away in Shillong on Monday. Kalam was 83.
384533-kalam-death-28jab09.jpg

Sir Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam's Poem for Soldiers.

My dear Soldiers

Oh! Defenders of borders
You are great sons of my land
When we are all asleep
You still hold on to your deed
Windy season or snowy days
Or scorching sun's sweltering rays
You are there guarding all the time awake
Treading the lonely expanses as yogis
Climbing the heights or striding the valleys
Defending the deserts or guarding the marshes
Surveillance in seas and by securing the air
Prime of your youth given to the nation!!
Wind chimes of my land vibrate your feat
We pray for you brave men!!
May the Lord bless you all!!

A.P.J. Abdul Kalam

आधुनिक भारत के भगवान चले गए।
इस देश के असली स्वाभिमान चले गए।।

धर्म को अकेला छोड़ विज्ञान चले गए।
एक साथ गीता और कुरान चले गए।।

मानवता के एकल प्रतिष्ठान चले गए।
धर्मनिरपेक्षता के मूल संविधान चले गए।।

इस सदी के श्रेष्ठ ऋषि महान चले गए।
कलयुग के इकलौते इंसान चले गए।।

ज्ञान राशि के अमित निधान चले गए।।
सबके प्यारे अब्दुल कलाम चले गए।।

klmb-660x330.jpg

New Delhi: Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday expressed his condolence over the demise of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, saying he was a 'people's president' who had the ability to connect with the youth of the country.

"Dr Kalam was a 'people's president'. He was a president who had the ability to connect with India's youth. He dedicated his entire life towards work," Gandhi told a news agency here.

"He worked till the last second of his life. It was the way he lived his entire life. We are proud of him," he added.

The Gandhi scion further said that the Missile Man's thinking and vision will be deeply missed by the nation.

"We will miss him. We will miss his thinking and vision," he said.

Hyderabad: Telangana declared a holiday on Tuesday as a mark of respect to APJ Abdul Kalam, while it was a working day in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh as Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu said the former president was against declaring a holiday on his death.

"Don't declare a holiday on my death, instead work an extra day. This was his message," Naidu said, paying tributes to Kalam at a meeting held at the state secretariat here.

The chief minister said Kalam and former Singapore prime minister Lee Kuan Yew were the great leaders who did not want their countries to declare holidays on their death.

Naidu led the officers in paying two-minute silence as a mark of tribute to Kalam. He asked government offices across the state to hold meetings to pay homage to the late president.

He said the offices of Telugu Desam Party (TDP) will also pay tributes to Kalam. Naidu asked people to dedicate their lives for nation building as was done by the former president.

Quoting from speeches of Kalam, the TDP chief said he would continue to inspire people, especially the youth.

Naidu said it was his good fortune that he also played his role in suggesting Kalam for the top post when National Democratic Alliance (NDA) was in power at the centre.

"I also advised then prime minister Atal Behari Vajpayee that Abdul Kalam will be the right choice as he will inspire youth and enhance the country's prestige," he said.

The chief minister said he would never forget the day when Kalam came to his office in the secretariat and shared his vision of India.

He recalled that Kalam set aside all protocol as a president to call on him when he was recovering after a bid on his life by Maoists in 2003.

IANS

Telangana government has declared a holiday on Tuesday as a mark of respect to former president Dr. Abdul Kalam, who died on Monday.

Chief Minister K.Chandrasekhar Rao directed Chief Secretary Rajiv Sharma to issue the order declaring Tuesday a holiday.

All government offices, educational institutions in Hyderabad and nine other districts of Telangana will remained closed.

Meet 96-year-old IAF Marshal Arjan Singh who defied odds to pay tribute to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam

New Delhi, July 28: He is 96-year-old. He finds it very difficult to walk. Most of the time, he sits on a wheel chair. But the Marshal of the Indian Air Force (IAF) Arjan Singh defied all odds when it was about former President, Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.

The Marshal, the only officer of the Indian Air Force to be promoted to five-star rank, paid his last respects to late Dr Kalam at Palam airport on Tuesday, July 28.

28-1438068106-arjan-singh.jpg

IAF Marshal Arjan Singh

Arjan Singh, who hails from Punjab, was born on 15 April 1919. Singh led no 1 Squadron, Indian Air Force into command during the Arakan Campaign in 1944.

He received Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) award in 1944. He also commanded the IAF Exhibition Flight in 1945.

However, he too had landed in serious trouble when he almost faced a court-martial in Feb 1945. According to reports, Singh had tried to raise the morale of an trainee pilot (reports claimed it was future Air Chief Marshal Dilbagh Singh) by conducting a low level air pass over a house in Kerala, but he insisted that such tricks are needed for every cadet to be a fighter pilot.

According to sources, Singh and Dr Kalam had shared a good relation. Dr Kalam's body was flown to Delhi from Guwahati on Tuesday. His last rites will be performed at his home town Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu on Wednesday.

The 11th President of India, APJ Abdul Kalam’s sayings and deeds has inspired a whole nation. It is a sad day for India as the former president breathed his last. A Muslim, a player of the veena, as comfortable with the Quran as the Bhagvad Gita, Secretary of DRDO, president of India, as happy to write scientific papers as to write bestsellers for young India.

1. “It is very easy to defeat someone, but it is very hard to win someone”.

2. “Suffering is the essence of success!!!”

3. “If you fail, never give up because FAIL means "First Attempt In Learning".

4. End is not the end, if fact END means "Effort Never Dies" - If you get No as an answer, remember NO means "Next Opportunity". So Let's be positive."

5. “Dream, dream, dream. Dreams transform into thoughts and thoughts result in action.”

Dr Kalam to be laid to rest at his hometown Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu - YouTube

APJ Abdul Kalam's body to be taken to Rameswaram tomorrow for funeral | Zee News

New Delhi: The mortal remains of late president APJ Abdul Kalam will be flown to his native town Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu on Wednesday for funeral.

The family members of the late leader wants his last rites to be performed in his native hometown where he spent his childhood.

APJMK Sheik Saleem, the former president's grandson, told IANS that relatives, friends, well wishers and common people have gathered at his residence in Rameswaram to pay their last respects.

Saleem is the son of Kalam's brother APJM Maraikayar.

Sitanshu Kar, Defence Ministry spokesperson, confirmed the development on Twitter.

The 83-year-old Bharat Ratna awardee suddenly collapsed while delivering a lecture to students at the Indian Institute of Management-Shillong.

He was rushed to hospital immediately where he was declared brought dead by the doctors.

Meet 96-year-old IAF Marshal Arjan Singh who defied odds to pay tribute to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam

New Delhi, July 28: He is 96-year-old. He finds it very difficult to walk. Most of the time, he sits on a wheel chair. But the Marshal of the Indian Air Force (IAF) Arjan Singh defied all odds when it was about former President, Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.

The Marshal, the only officer of the Indian Air Force to be promoted to five-star rank, paid his last respects to late Dr Kalam at Palam airport on Tuesday, July 28.

28-1438068106-arjan-singh.jpg

IAF Marshal Arjan Singh

Arjan Singh, who hails from Punjab, was born on 15 April 1919. Singh led no 1 Squadron, Indian Air Force into command during the Arakan Campaign in 1944.

He received Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) award in 1944. He also commanded the IAF Exhibition Flight in 1945.

However, he too had landed in serious trouble when he almost faced a court-martial in Feb 1945. According to reports, Singh had tried to raise the morale of an trainee pilot (reports claimed it was future Air Chief Marshal Dilbagh Singh) by conducting a low level air pass over a house in Kerala, but he insisted that such tricks are needed for every cadet to be a fighter pilot.

According to sources, Singh and Dr Kalam had shared a good relation. Dr Kalam's body was flown to Delhi from Guwahati on Tuesday. His last rites will be performed at his home town Rameswaram, Tamil Nadu on Wednesday.
wow.. respect! Watched him this morning in telly paying respect, aided by couple of IAF officers! Was wondering who this gentleman was. Now I know.. Thanks for sharing this piece of info!

India's flag is flown at half-mast at the Parliament House as a mark of respect for former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam who died at the age of 83, in New Delhi, India.
384767-dpz-28jab28.jpg

Indian Defense forces carry the flag-draped casket of former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam after it arrived at Palam airport in New Delhi, India.
384763-dpz-28jab31.jpg

A convoy carries the flag-draped casket of former President A.P.J Abdul Kalam to his residence from Palam airport in New Delhi, India.
384762-dpz-28jab36.jpg

A student offers flowers to a portrait of former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam at CMS School in Lucknow, India.
384761-dpz-28jab20.jpg

Students observe a moment of silence as they pay tribute to former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam at CMS School in Lucknow, India.
384760-dpz-28jab33.jpg

We were glued to the TV set in the mess last night and I can tell you that when the channels started confirming sir had passed away, there was not a single dry eye. All big hulking guys.

Even now as I read the whole thread, my eyes are moist again.

We have lost someone really dear to all of us. I will miss him. There is a kind of empty feeling or great loss inside me.

RIP sir.

Jai Hind.

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 - 16:02
Abdul Kalam had special attachment to Hyderabad | Zee News

Hyderabad: Former president APJ Abdul Kalam, who died on Monday, had a special attachment to Hyderabad where he led India's missile development programme and worked on various projects to use the spin-offs of defence research for healthcare.

As the director of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for a decade beginning 1983, he conceived and directed the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP) as its chief executive.

It was under Kalam's leadership that the Defence Research Development Laboratory (DRDL) successfully launched Prithvi (a surface-to-surface missile), Trishul (a short-range surface-to-air missile), Akash (a medium range surface-to-air missile) and Nag (an anti-tank missile), apart from Agni (a long range missile with a nuclear option).

The successful launch of these missiles helped India join a select international club.

The missile man, as Kalam was popularly known, was instrumental in setting up or strengthening defence laboratories in the city.

He set up the Research Centre Imarat (RCI). Spread over 2,100 acres the advanced research centre attracts talent from all over the country and is the hub of critical missile technology development. It was Kalam who also ensured greenery on the sprawling premises.

Kalam inspired many young scientists. These include Tessy Thomas, who had joined the DRDL in 1988.

Thomas, project director of Agni V, said she was inspired by Kalam. He encouraged her to join inertial navigation group.

Known for his simplicity, the scientific community in DRDL and in other defence research laboratories here used to see him as a role model.

Even after becoming the president, Kalam continued to visit the defence laboratories and interact with the scientists and researchers whenever he was here.

A firm believer in indigenisation, Kalam's work was not just confined to missile and defence. He took the initiative of taking the benefits of defence technology to the people by developing affordable medical devices.

He joined hands with cardiologist B. Soma Raju of Care Hospitals to develop India's first indigenous coronary stent. The 'Kalam-Raju' stent, as it was called, was more affordable compared to imported ones.

The product was withdrawn in 2001 as it was made of coil and coil stents were phased out worldwide by then.

Kalam and Raju had recently come together again to develop an indigenous tablet PC for healthcare workers at primary health centres in rural areas.

According to Arun K Tiwari of Care Foundation, the Kalam-Raju tablet will help healthcare workers in remote areas to access patient information, diagnostic tools and new treatment procedures.

Tiwari, who was co-author of Kalam's autobiography 'Wings of Fire', said the tablet was to be rolled out in three to six months.

Kalam along with physician Kakarla Subba Rao, the former director of Nizam's Institute of Medical Sciences (NIMS) and others also used defence research to develop calipers with lightweight material for orthopaedic patients.

The use of carbon-polymer materials for production of calipers reduced the weight of the caliper to 1/10th of the original weight. Thousands of children have been fitted with these calipers.

He was on the boards of Care Foundation, L. V. Prasad Eye Institute and many other research institutes in the city before becoming president.

The development of affordable medical devices indigenously and use of latest technology for healthcare was close to Kalam's heart. After relinquishing the office of the president, he started actively participating in projects for making healthcare affordable.

He was associated with the Emergency Management and Research Institute (EMRI), an organisation providing free ambulance and other medical services to people in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and some other states. He was on the EMRI board since 2007 and became the chairman emeritus of GVK EMRI since September 2012.

"Dr Kalam had strongly advocated the need and necessity of a life saving service like 108, and had been a great source of inspiration to all. He always encouraged the use of technology in the business of saving lives," said industrialist G. V. K. Reddy, whose group is supporting the emergency service.

"He had been propagating the need of 108 GVK EMRI services in the rest of the Saarc nations and other developing countries. He would regularly visit the GVK EMRI offices in most of the operating states," recalled the industrialist.

Kalam made several visits to Hyderabad in the last 15 years to interact with students.

IANS

UAE President, PM condole APJ Abdul Kalam's death | Zee News
Abu Dhabi: United Arab Emirates (UAE) President Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan has condoled the death of former Indian president APJ Abdul Kalam, the media reported on Tuesday.

Kalam died on Monday following a cardiac arrest.

Vice President and Prime Minister Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum along with UAE's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan also sent similar messages.

IANS

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday paid homage to late president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam by writing in the condolence book.

The mortal remains of the late President were brought here in a national flag draped coffin in an Indian Air Force (IAF) C-130 J Super Hercules Aircraft, from Guwahati.

Kalam's last rites will be performed at his hometown Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu on Wednesday.

The Defence Ministry has said that the public can pay homage to the late President at his residence from 4 pm onwards today.

Back
Top Bottom