ahojunk

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Foreigner's fingerprints to be collected upon entry to China
2017-02-09 14:03:07 Xinhua Web Editor: Zhang Xu

8151e753b87a40fd8e857009c8b91b77.jpg

China will fingerprint foreigners when they enter the country, the Ministry of Public Security said in a statement Thursday. [Photo: zjol.com.cn]

China will fingerprint foreigners when they enter the country, the Ministry of Public Security said in a statement Thursday.

In 2017, exit-entry departments across the country will begin to collect the fingerprints of foreign nationals aged between 14 and 70. Those holding diplomatic passports or under reciprocal conditions are exempted.

The new system will first be tested at Shenzhen Airport from Feb. 10, said the ministry.

Collection of biometric data including fingerprints is an important border control measure that has been adopted by several countries in the world, the ministry said, adding China's exit-entry departments will strive to improve the efficiency of entry clearance.

I can understand the reasoning behind this system, it will match an individual to a passport and prevent them from ever re-entering under a different identity.The US obviously introduced this measure recently.

I however will not enter any country that uses such systems to record and store information about foreign nationals, it is too easily open to misuse.

@nang2

The US only recently made it mandatory, it started on Monday. They have a list of 27 exempt countries, mine isn't one of them, so the US is another country I won't be entering.

@nang2

The US only recently made it mandatory, it started on Monday. They have a list of 27 exempt countries, mine isn't one of them, so the US is another country I won't be entering.
Only recently? Since 2004, every time I came to US from Canada, they asked me for my fingerprint.

It wasn't mandatory for all foreigners though until this week, I've no idea why you were fingerprinted but on my previous trips there I wasn't.

Actually, USA is transitioning into using iris scans. Fingerprinting can be fooled.

This is going to prompt many other countries to follow the US. China appears to be reacting to the US by introducing this.

Fingerprints and Iris scans now, DNA sampling in the future perhaps? This is all going too far.

This is going to prompt many other countries to follow the US. China appears to be reacting to the US by introducing this.

Fingerprints and Iris scans now, DNA sampling in the future perhaps? This is all going too far.
I am fine with it as long as they don't mandate stool sample.

DNA sampling is not needed. A detailed biometric profile including an iris scan is equally unique for identification purposes.

This should b a must... pak shud also implement

This will greatly increase the safety of visitors and security of the country. A lot of countries, including New Zealand, Australia and US, are already taking and keeping biometrics of visitors. China need to keep up and modernize its securities by upgrade to the total the package of fingerprinting, facial and iris scans.

DNA sampling is not needed. A detailed biometric profile including an iris scan is equally unique for identification purposes.

Of course not, but neither is fingerprinting and bio-metric scans of foreign nationals. But it is probably being considered by the US.

I live in officially the least corrupt country in the world [New Zealand], alongside Denmark. Our rights are protected by a very important statute called the privacy act, which among many provisions gives us the right of access to any information collected and stored about us, and legal recourse over the accuracy of that information and how it is used. Will I have similar legal protection against the misuse of information about me in other countries?

This will greatly increase the safety of visitors and security of the country. A lot of countries, including New Zealand, Australia and US, are already taking and keeping biometrics of visitors. China need to keep up and modernize its securities by upgrade to the total the package of fingerprinting, facial and iris scans.

No, my country does not collect and keep bio-metric information of visitors. If you don't believe me, here is the New Zealand Customs service arrival procedure for visitors.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate/onyourarrival/Pages/default.aspx

Actually, USA is transitioning into using iris scans. Fingerprinting can be fooled.
I wish they did urine testing as well during the looooooong layovers and send me the report when I am home. Then I will surely affirm the fact that murica is great.:lol:

Cant i wear a contact lens to beat the iris scan? what about ppl who have lens implanted in eyes due to cataract.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom