Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Flintoff to announce retirement
Cricinfo staff
September 16, 2010

Andrew Flintoff has announced his retirement from all cricket later on Thursday after giving in to his long-standing knee injuries.

Flintoff retired from Test cricket after last year's Ashes victory and underwent knee surgery straight away. He hoped to return to action this season, but that was ruled out last month and he then aimed for Twenty20 stints in Australia and the IPL. However, his latest meeting with the surgeon has led to what has long seemed the inevitable decision.

"It is with both disappointment and sadness that I am today announcing my retirement from all forms of cricket," said Flintoff. "The decision to end my career came yesterday after consultation with medical advisers. I was told that the problems I have been trying to overcome in re-hab for the last year following the latest in a series of operations would not recover sufficiently to allow a comeback.

"Having been told that my body would no longer stand up to the rigours of cricket, I had no alternative but to retire," he added. "I would like to thank my family, Lancashire Cricket Club, England, all my sponsors, friends and advisers for all the help and support they have given me throughout my career.

"Last, but by no means least, I am indebted to the encouragement and support I have always received from England's magnificent supporters. I will now be taking a break before deciding which future direction to take."

Full report to follow.

More to follow

© ESPN EMEA Ltd.
Flintoff to announce retirement | England Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

who cares about flintoof he is a medikor cricketer no one cares about him and his cricketing career who ran for money when asked to fullfill duties for nation he went to ipl no one cares about him anymore even english cricket have forgotten him too

who cares about flintoof he is a medikor cricketer no one cares about him and his cricketing career who ran for money when asked to fullfill duties for nation he went to ipl no one cares about him anymore even english cricket have forgotten him too

You can't even spell mediocre
correctly and you are insulting a great cricketer. He was a key player in the 2005 Ashes victory, and before injuries that crippled his career, was one of the most feared cricketers in the world. At a time when English cricket was in doldrums, he was a star. So lets give some credit where credit is due.

You can't even spell mediocre
correctly and you are insulting a great cricketer. He was a key player in the 2005 Ashes victory, and before injuries that crippled his career, was one of the most feared cricketers in the world. At a time when English cricket was in doldrums, he was a star. So lets give some credit where credit is due.

Barring that one series, he was in fact an average cricketer. But what he lacked in performance, he made up in spirit and presence. His boyish charm and (apparent) lack of ego made him the darling of the masses. He had more aura than ability, and that is something even the statistics will attest to.

Flinty -> Andrew Flintoff | England Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

Afridi -> Shahid Afridi | Pakistan Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

Test Batting Average -> 31.77 vs 36.51 [Afridi has a better average]

ODI -> 32.01 vs 23.85 [Afridi is pathetic]

Test bowling Average -> 32.78 vs 35.60 [Afridi is slightly behind]

ODI Bowling Average -> 24.38 vs 34.88 [Afridi is pathetic]

Afridi and Flinty are about the same at Test level. ODIs - Afridi has a worse average in both BOWLING and BATTING departments, so he pales and shrinks before Flinty.

This, despite the fact that Flinty was injured ... and never ate any cricketing balls :)

:coffee:

Five English cricketers were picked up -

Andrew Flintoff (Chennai Super Kings, $1,550,000)
Kevin Pietersen (Bangalore Royal Challengers, $1,550,000)
Ravi Bopara (Kings XI Punjab, $450,000).
Owais Shah (Delhi Daredevils, $375,000)
Paul Collingwood (Delhi Daredevils, $275,000)

The England and Wales Cricket Board allowed them to play.

In 2004 he was named as a Wisden Cricketer of the Year.

In 2005, Flintoff shared the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for the ICC player of the year award with Jacques Kallis of South Africa.

In 2005, Flintoff was crowned BBC Sports Personality of the Year for 2005, the first cricketer since Botham in 1981.

Flinty -> Andrew Flintoff | England Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

Afridi -> Shahid Afridi | Pakistan Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com

Afridi and Flinty are about the same at Test level. ODIs - Afridi has a worse average in both BOWLING and BATTING departments, so he pales and shrinks before Flinty.

This, despite the fact that Flinty was injured ... and never ate any cricketing balls :)

Flintof was much better player than his averages. A very promising all rounder but had been injury prone and the same problem led him to retirement. I feel sorry for him anyways good luck flinty.

Wonderful character on Field , and chrismatic , generally I don't like british but he was exception

Solid person respectful and at some time competitive

I had great amount of respect as they were one of the first sides to crack open the Australian team's dominance

May be he should rest 1 year and like Ronaldo (Brazil) he could try just to play as batsmen ?

for me he was rubbish who always prefred money over nation he is not an average for me too what he had done ion his careed only 2 big perfomances other wise whole career of his failure

for me he was rubbish who always prefred money over nation he is not an average for me too what he had done ion his careed only 2 big perfomances other wise whole career of his failure

:hitwall:

Pakistani Mohammed Yousuf, Razzak, Rana preffered money over nation, they joined ICL. PCB banned them. Players who participated in IPL, got permission from their boards. Do some research before posting, how many matches Freddy played in IPL ? Just 3, He bowled just 4 overs, he participated only in IPL 2. Chennai bought Flintoff for USD 1,550,000, This makes him the highest-ever-paid IPL player. Rubbish player ?

He was 'People's Champion' due to his down-to-earth qualities, guts, athleticism, skills. His 3-year (2003-2006) spell was Phenomenal, batting average goes up to 43.43 and the bowling down to 27.86.

Dont rely on the naked stats, this is TV age.

420-brettlee-420x0.jpg

Cricket loses a real character and quality sportsman.

Sir jee dont say like this that he was rubbish, preferred money etc... he was a good All-rounder... :tup:

Want to see some Rubbish? Don't need to go beyond the bathroom mirror, sunshine! Start posting again after you have learned to spell mediocre ;)

He is the most feared all-rounder of his time. No body comes close to him/ And above all a true sportsman is gone with him.

Lol Why don't you mention the strike rate .....

Afridi is better than him

Lol Why don't you mention the strike rate .....

Afridi is better than him

Strikerate without average means nothing. Afridi himself claims that he is a bowler, Flinty has better bowling average than him in both forms of the game. There was a time when Flinty was the only good player in the England side.

Back
Top Bottom