Five new universities to be set up in Pakistan in three years

Dubious

RETIRED MOD
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By DND -
July 11, 2015

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan: As many as five new universities and 36 campuses will be established across the country in the next three years, aimed at enhancing coverage of higher education at the district level.

The proposed plan will be executed by the Higher Education Commission (HEC), an independent and constitutionally established institution of primary funding, overseeing, regulating, and accrediting the higher education efforts in Pakistan.

There are presently 171 public and private sector universities and 88 sub-campuses in the country.

In the budget for current fiscal year announced in June, the federal government earmarked Rs71.5 billion for the HEC out of which Rs20 billion was allocated for 143 projects of the commission which will support development plans of different universities all over the country.

The federal government also allocated Rs51 billion for current expenditures of the HEC.

While presenting the budget 2015-16 in the National Assembly in Islamabad on June 5, the Federal Finance Minister Ishaq Dar said that the government believed in the promotion of education and ensure raising its standard.

The finance minister also said that the government stands by its commitment to increase expenditures on education sector equal to four percent of the gross domestic product (GDP) during its tenure.

Five new universities to be set up in Pakistan in three years- Dispatch News Desk

What is wrong with the present govt and making new everything instead of fixing the already existing institutes...From new Dolphin when police sucks, new uni when old ones are in dire need of a 2nd glance...How about a new government?

If govt believes in education then get a new minister in every chair coz the ones existing dont seem to be competent and dont have a proper education background respective of the post they serve while THOUSANDS who have a better degree are waiting in line for a meager job!

how is the average university in Pakistan? what is the feeling about the education from there?

By DND -
July 11, 2015

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan: As many as five new universities and 36 campuses will be established across the country in the next three years, aimed at enhancing coverage of higher education at the district level.

The proposed plan will be executed by the Higher Education Commission (HEC), an independent and constitutionally established institution of primary funding, overseeing, regulating, and accrediting the higher education efforts in Pakistan.

There are presently 171 public and private sector universities and 88 sub-campuses in the country.

In the budget for current fiscal year announced in June, the federal government earmarked Rs71.5 billion for the HEC out of which Rs20 billion was allocated for 143 projects of the commission which will support development plans of different universities all over the country.

The federal government also allocated Rs51 billion for current expenditures of the HEC.

While presenting the budget 2015-16 in the National Assembly in Islamabad on June 5, the Federal Finance Minister Ishaq Dar said that the government believed in the promotion of education and ensure raising its standard.

The finance minister also said that the government stands by its commitment to increase expenditures on education sector equal to four percent of the gross domestic product (GDP) during its tenure.

Five new universities to be set up in Pakistan in three years- Dispatch News Desk

What is wrong with the present govt and making new everything instead of fixing the already existing institutes...From new Dolphin when police sucks, new uni when old ones are in dire need of a 2nd glance...How about a new government?

If govt believes in education then get a new minister in every chair coz the ones existing dont seem to be competent and dont have a proper education background respective of the post they serve while THOUSANDS who have a better degree are waiting in line for a meager job!
Another 5 avenues for haram khouri. Worst kind of lecturers will be appointed and degrees will be sold. That is all that is going to happen in these 5 new Universities. We have new trend in Pakistan that anything not even worth of being called a College is declared as University. Tuition centers located in rented houses are called School and Colleges. What a wasteland.

how is the average university in Pakistan? what is the feeling about the education from there?
Graduates from these Universities cant even write a single grammatically and structurally correct sentence in English or in Urdu let alone a research paper (BTW universities are meant for research and not teaching). This is the standard of so-called Pakistani universities.

By DND -
July 11, 2015

They are going to crown a college a university like govt college lahore to university status. Never mind that lets have a look at medical universities???? Our college was named university and the next thing i knew iwas studying in a medical university. I thought that to be a university there are different faculties !!! Could someone elaborate thet.
Also i think there should be university cities like oxgord and cambridge and they should start with building those in balochistan . Arid land cheap and eill help balochistan in there development . People from all over pakistan would go there mix with balochistan people have a feel of what needs to be done. What if students can go to china us uk turkey for studies why not balochistan

Another 5 avenues for haram khouri. Worst kind of lecturers will be appointed and degrees will be sold. That is all that is going to happen in these 5 new Universities. We have new trend in Pakistan that anything not even worth of being called a College is declared as University. Tuition centers located in rented houses are called School and Colleges. What a wasteland.

Graduates from these Universities cant even write a single grammatically and structurally correct sentence in English or in Urdu let alone a research paper (BTW universities are meant for research and not teaching). This is the standard of so-called Pakistani universities.

I beg to disagree.

You cannot paint every Institution and its Faculty with such a wide brush.

I am sure Pakistan has its share of good and bad Professors just like anywhere else in the World.

I have spent nearly 40 years of my life in the US and I have seen my share of bad professors in the US as well.

I beg to disagree.

You cannot paint every Institution and its Faculty with such a wide brush.

I am sure Pakistan has its share of good and bad Professors just like anywhere else in the World.

I have spent nearly 40 years of my life in the US and I have seen my share of bad professors in the US as well.
Exceptions are there but I was talking about the standard of 'average' universities in Pakistan and they are producing exactly the kind of students that I have described. I am on the reviewers panel of some so-called good Universities and when I happen to check student's theses and interview them during their theses defense, I feel like leaving the room and never to examine another student from Pakistan.

Last edited:
Jaidi says i am matric second division from Sargodha Division. I can speak english to the point on contrary of the subject matter. You see i can speak very well english. I can read english newspaper, this is my research paper. Sometime newspaper is in urdu. Hamara kia he hahahaha

Exceptions are there but I was talking about the standard of 'average' universities in Pakistan and they are producing exactly the kind of students that I have described. I am on the reviewers panel of some so-called good Universities and when I happen to check student's theses and interview them during their theses defense, I feel like leaving the room and never to examine another student from Pakistan.

Yes , I can see your point but you cannot put the whole blame on Universities alone.

After all, these students and their professors are a cross section of our society at large.

I will leave you with some food for thought. Take a random sample of a 10,000 youngsters of average Pakistanis who are 18 years old. Almost half of them have never been to any School. The other half would include mostly Madrrasa students as well as Government primary School graduates. By the time they reach Middle school 90% would have dropped out. Maybe 500 of this lot would become High School Graduates ( 12 years of education aka Intermediate graduates ). How many of these do you believe would turn out to be "College Material". Maybe 10% (50) of these would get a 14 year or 16 year college degree. It is no wonder that you have to look real hard to find students or professors in Pakistan who can write a simple sentence , let alone write Research thesis.

Last edited:
Jaidi says i am matric second division from Sargodha Division. I can speak english to the point on contrary of the subject matter. You see i can speak very well english. I can read english newspaper, this is my research paper. Sometime newspaper is in urdu. Hamara kia he hahahaha

You are a prime example of what we are talking about.

What the heck did you just say ?

Pakistan needs more schools than universities, should focus on increasing the literacy rate of the next generation.

Pakistan needs more schools than universities, should focus on increasing the literacy rate of the next generation.
literacy rate of next generation is already on the upper side. current literacy rate stands at 59% (overall) whereas youth (aged 18-25) literacy is around 75%. problem is our govt never bothered to launch any literacy programmes for the illiterate older generation who were never able to attend school in their youth, which is something done commonly in many other countries to help the elderly attain social and financial independence.
@Topic - the step is good, but 5 unis in 3 years?? too less! more than 40 unis were set up during mush era in 8 years only!

I think you're a bit obsessed with research and professors, even though personally I won't risk doing my bachelors in Pak, I know some people do end up as excellent doctors/engineers with high paying offers from abroad etc.
But yes the standard is falling that I can't deny, even in NUST sometimes laboratory equipment is broken and often the standard of english is very low.

Back
Top Bottom