What's new

First Scorpene submarine to be delivered in 2014, France says

It has one chakra, and that's for training the IN in nuclear sub operations.

As of now we have some 14 ageing subs, 7 of which will be retired by 2015. So by 2015, we will have fewer subs than pakistan.

For a navy the size of IN, with a coastline the length of India's, with interests in a region as large as the IOR, the number of subs they have is abysmally low. The IN's own assesment is that they need 18 conventional subs of high quality and capability, to be at the minimum comfort level WRT the threats they face. All they have are 14 ancient submarines with underwhelming performace, and that will soon go down to 7, with the imminent retirement of the oldest ones. And they dont have a single submarine that can be called modern or cutting edge.

So any submarine that is relatively modern will come as a shot in the arm. Doesn't have to be too special.

Nope, None of these subs will get retired.

IN has upgraded all kilos recently, they will surely operate till 2020 or even beyond.

+ talks of HDW upgrades are also going on, again they will also operate till 2020 or beyond.

So one can be assured that IN will only add submarines & will retire none till atleast 2020.

The talks about 7 being retired till 2015 is all false reporting by media.

good news :cheers:

IN has upgraded all kilos recently, they will surely operate till 2020 or even beyond.

+ talks of HDW upgrades are also going on, again they will also operate till 2020 or beyond.

So one can be assured that IN will only add submarines & will retire none till atleast 2020.

Yes. PKS was saying same

Scorpene is one of the most advanced diesel subs in the world,popular with many navies.Its an excellent addition.Its stealth is particularly superb.

thats what I was saying in another thread that can subs get upgradation to prolong its life.by the way,can you please provide some source of upgradation of kilo and HDW??

Does this sub have AIP ?

Sadly no, IN seems to had some doubts about the MESMA AIP, since it's new and wasn't ready when the procurement was done. DCNS still offers it and there is the possibility to add it at least in the last 2 or 3 subs of this order, but so far IN didn't took the option.
My guess is, they will try to reduce the price for the optional AIP + follow orders of Scorpene and possibly some other additions with the P75I competition, because that competition requires AIP in the RFP and more Scorpene from an already available production line, that now seems to gain speed is the most logical and likely solution (unless the competitors don't offer something big).

How does Scorpene add value to IN, what is special about it?

It's a modern diesel-electric submarine, with a new design, weapons and systems, so will be a clear leap compared to the currently available U209 and Kilo subs. If we get naval Scalp missiles, even the land attack capability of Kilos with Klub S missiles will be at least equalied.
However, without AIP propulsion, it lacks one of the most modern capabilities of current generation subs and which already is a standard in most navies all around the world. Not having this capability is a major downer for sure, especially since our adversaries, which means we can't use this tech for our own advantage, but also will have difficulties to develop counter tactics against them, since it will take years till IN will have it.

I guess there were news that if DRDO develops own AIP, may be the last two of these could get.

Yeah, but we know how to take their promises don't we? They failed to develop a useful fighter engine and correct me if I'm wrong, did we have developed at least an indigenous diesel-electric propulsion yet? If not, shouldn't DRDO take this as the first step, since we otherwise are dependent on foreign countries for this core tech, before they go on to develop an indigenous AIP?
I guess this is just the usuall, WE CAN DO THAT TOO attitude of DRDO, to show off and claim to be world class, but there's sadly a big difference in what they promise and what they deliver!

Actually the 4 x German subs were aimed to be replaced by the last 4 x Scorpene subs, but the delays might make it important to have some minor life extention upgrades to the U209s. At the same time some of the Kilos will be unavailable, since they are going through upgrades as well, which means there will be a shortage, but you are right that the Kilos won't be phased out that soon, especially without deciding about P75I it's likely replacement.

That's comforting to know. I wonder why there have been so many news items regarding the retirement of 7 subs in 2014.

Back
Top Bottom