What's new

First look at the New Parliament building of India

Man what a disappointment.

Not being jealous or anything, but where are the width and space components?

Something culturally or even futuristically appropriate? Or timeless? Dharmic is enough?

This is a parliament for 1.4 Billion people! Not all of them Hindu.

I don't know who designed it - but what does it even represent?

This is Bangladesh' Parliament house designed 50 years ago. The British did not hand it to us, we built it.

iu

ce58e3d1d7ecbd9f27691873c983bc55--louis-kahn-bangladesh.jpg

iu

Sangshad_2.jpg

Dada dont you think its in middle of a water body??

One cyclone or heavy flood and parliament's khela hobe..

Internal looks ok'ish - externally it look's like a used piece of toilet paper ... they should have gotten a decent architect to come up with a design that reflects south asian art and culture better than this does.
Architect is a decorated Gujarati from our PMs home state...yes, the design could have been better but this is Gujaratis time in our country and the trend will go only with modi, so perhaps 6 more years!

Dada dont you think its in middle of a water body??

One cyclone or heavy flood and parliament's khela hobe..

It's not a water body, it is a shallow "reflecting pool" or moat, built as an architectural feature. Public buildings have these things all over the globe. No danger for cyclones - not deep enough.

More on the topic of your new parliament building, architecturally this is an unfortunate development.....so much more could have been done to show their future aspirations. Something noble, something with far more grandeur.

Instead we have a permanent edifice with lower grade taste and a disappointment....

Sad for my Indian friends....

Architect is a decorated Gujarati from our PMs home state...yes, the design could have been better but this is Gujaratis time in our country and the trend will go only with modi, so perhaps 6 more years!

Nepotism as usual in Modi's administration. Connections more important than talent....

Our Sangsad Bhaban was designed and visualized during Ayub Khan's administration (it was Ayub Khan's vision for a new country) and he handed the design to a Bengali in East Pakistan, who was the chief of govt. architecture at the time, who became the father of architecture in Bangladesh after 1971 (Ar. Muzharul Islam). Muzharul Saab worked with celebrated architect Louis Kahn and finalized the design of this "Second Capital" Complex in Pakistan before 1971. Islamabad was of course "First Capital". Construction started after 1972 and was completed in the mid 1970's. Indians were not involved at any time or in any capacity unlike what some are claiming here.

Dhaka (because of soil composition) may not claim many high rises, but each mid-rise built in Dhaka is of a uniformly high global standard and unique in their architectural appeal. Some Bangladeshi architects are globally renowned - if Indians are ignorant about this then that is not our issue. Not going to go into measuring schwanzes with India.

Last edited:

100568312.jpg

This is the single most offensive piece of "art" in that installation. A boycott of Indian imports is warranted on this piece of art alone.

I don't know what Indian HC will say in Bangladesh when asked about this "Akhand Bharat" approach. Internal politics and Hindutva vote appeal?

Maybe Pakistan can put this map of Muslim Mughal empire in its parliment as a "cultural statement" ?

MughalEmpireIndiaMap_0.jpg

At least this map is real - whereas Akhand Bharat is not real as it never existed ....

Akhand Bharat is an idea which sounds great and gives false hope to a section of Indian society who are gullible, semi educated and are too inclined to believe in PIPE DREAMS, rather than BUILD REAL TANGIBLE THINGS, like consensus and trust among all sections, religions and beliefs across society.

Even the Mughals understood it, with Deen-E-Elahi, with employing adherents of non-Muslims at the highest level of administration, with alliances wrought by marriages to non-Muslim princesses across the empire. How much of a departure was Deen-E-Elahi when compared with the conservatism today and how far ahead was their vision compared to these narrow-minded people seeking to convert everyone back to Hinduism by force (which will NEVER really come true)?

I sincerely hope that this Hindutva philosophy, the hierarchy of some over others, is an ugly canker sore, nay a blight on the face of time.

Such narrowness may gain ignorant followers for a time, but is sure to fade from history before it even matures....

Cow Cola fuked up hindu brain... 😑

That's actually a few Hindutva brains. Most educated Hindus are decent people that I know and don't believe in this crap.

Some two bit unqualified no-name moron yearning for attention with ulti-seedhi claims... :p:

Needs some tight slaps to his immature face. Idiot.

The sad thing is - these people (like always) will make hay with ignorant people in the subcontinent - and there are too many of the latter.

Last edited:
Nice building. I like the peacock design.

What is going to happen to the old building?

Man what a disappointment.

Not being jealous or anything, but where are the width and space components?

Something culturally or even futuristically appropriate? Or timeless? Dharmic is enough?

This is a parliament for 1.4 Billion people! Not all of them Hindu.

I don't know who designed it - but what does it even represent?

This is Bangladesh' Parliament house designed 50 years ago. The British did not hand it to us, we built it.

iu

ce58e3d1d7ecbd9f27691873c983bc55--louis-kahn-bangladesh.jpg

iu

Sangshad_2.jpg
You think A building based on brutalist architecture is more aesthetically pleasing, I really wanna know who is your crack supplier. 🤣🤣

I am unable to see even an ounce of Bengali or even Islamic architectural influence in this good for nothing building and you are showing this building as an example of aesthetics.

Honestly speaking if you had not told me this is your parliament, I (and I assume many others too) legit would have thought it is part of some sewage treatment plant because of the presence of such a huge body of water near the building.

Last edited:
Exterior: 2/10
Interiors: 7/10
I also don't like the exterior at all. Too bland. But I believe that was intentional and meant to go with the general theme of the buildings in the area instead. As an architecture enthusiast I think this is a big missed opportunity. It's not as if we don't have people who can execute grand buildings. Maybe it looks better in person.

100568312.jpg
damn, This is so inappropriate!!!

That chanakaya
Mural? Or sculpture?
whatever it is, Looks so cool

2000 years ago, the Potahar and surrounding regions produced brilliant minds like Chanakya, Panini, and Charaka

However, regrettably Now it's home to the biggest gathering of idiots known to mankind
images (55).jpeg

Proper monkeys

Last edited:
I also don't like the exterior at all. Too bland. But I believe that was intentional and meant to go with the general theme of the buildings in the area instead. As an architecture enthusiast I think this is a big missed opportunity. It's not as if we don't have people who can execute grand buildings. Maybe it looks better in person.
I'd have liked elements of the swastika integrated into the main facade design, not just embellishments and the random one inside.

Naval base Coronado in San Diego, Cali.
rawImage.jpg

27swastika.xlarge1.jpg

You think A building based on brutalist architecture is more aesthetically pleasing, I really wanna know who is your crack supplier. 🤣🤣

I am unable to see even an ounce of Bengali or even Islamic architectural influence in this good for nothing building and you are showing this building as an example of aesthetics.

Honestly speaking if you had not told me this is your parliament, I (and I assume many others too) legit would have thought it is part of some sewage treatment plant because of the presence of such a huge body of water near the building.

Suit yourself - ignorance and bhakt go in the same sentence usually.

I guess you are a better architect than Louis Kahn who designed it?

Please make some more ignorant comments - Mr. architecture critic.

And how would a bhakt know about what a sewage treatment plant is? :p:

iu

A2433-Case-Study-National-Parliament-House-Image-1.jpg

Thanks. Museum of what ?

"Museum of Tolerance and Understanding" unlike the present one. :rofl:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom