What's new

first interstellar Spaceship in the making

NASA again delays flying saucer test

pia18006ldsdbig-main_0.jpeg

First lets get the space shuttle and hubble telescope fixed Worry about inter - steller trips later we can't even build a space station quick in our own orbit

First lets get the space shuttle and hubble telescope fixed Worry about inter - steller trips later we can't even build a space station quick in our own orbit

Space Shuttle and Hubble are 40 years old technology. We currently habe so many exciting projects.

SpaceX v2, Dream Chaser, James Webb telescope, Airbus Space Plane, Ariane V ME, JUICE...its exciting times.

It's an artist impression of a ship using Alcubierre drive (warp drive propulsion) which will require matter-anti matter fuel. NASA is experimenting warp creation in it's labs right now on a very tiny scale.

Nope. It is not based on annihilation. That matter-antimatter annihilation would form a source of propulsion, not a warp drive.
Warp drive is far beyond the technology we presently have. For one, we still don't understand Gravity...one of the fundamental forces of nature. It is so powerful, fascinating and perplexing that gravity has the ability to bend light, and yet we can easily overcome gravity when we pick up things which fall down to Earth! Unless that Theory of Everything is not solved, and that depends on the understanding of Gravity, there wont be any wrap drives, any time soon.
I may be wrong in my opinion, but from what I have read and understood, understanding gravity and how it permeates different dimensions is the key to interstellar travel and FTL/Wrap Drive engines!

I understand the obstacle listed above but i think the important thing is, someone is working on it. In 50 years, i'm sure we will have something to show.
Hopefully more answers can be obtained from next year onward when LHC is finished with upgrades.

It's an artist impression of a ship using Alcubierre drive (warp drive propulsion) which will require matter-anti matter fuel. NASA is experimenting warp creation in it's labs right now on a very tiny scale.
Yes, let's not get too excited about this yet. It's just a concept and it's been around for a while.

The theory has been around for about 2 decades...

I thought he meant CGI, not theory. :confused:

But theory too got upgraded recently, this NASA dude says he thinks he has found a way to warp space using much less energy required then per original Alcubierre's calculations.

White, who just shared his latest ideas at the 100 Year Starship 2012 Public Symposium, says that if you adjust the shape of the ring surrounding the object, from something that looks like a flat halo into something thicker and curvier, you could power Alcubierre’s warp drive with a mass roughly the size of NASA’s Voyager 1 probe.

In other words: reduction in energy requirements from a planet with a mass equivalent to over 300 Earths, down to an object that weighs just under 1,600 pounds.

What’s more, if you oscillate the space warp, White claims you could reduce the energy load even further.

NASA Actually Working on Faster-than-Light Warp Drive | TIME.com

Back
Top Bottom