What's new

First coronavirus death reported at Rohingya refugee camp in Bangladesh

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
An elderly Rohingya refugee has become the first person to die from coronavirus in the world’s largest refugee settlement in Bangladesh, where there are fears the disease could spread fast due to overcrowding.

The 71-year-old man died on May 31 while undergoing treatment at an isolation center at the camps where over a million Rohingya live, said Bimal Chakma, a senior official of the government’s Refugee Relief and Repatriation Commission.

“Today we got the confirmation that he tested positive for COVID-19,” he told Reuters by telephone.

Aid workers have long warned of a potential humanitarian disaster if there is a major outbreak at the camps in the Cox’s Bazar coastal district. The Rohingya, members of a mostly Muslim minority, fled a brutal military crackdown in Myanmar.

At least 29 Rohingya have tested positive for the virus so far since the first case was detected on May 14.

Officials said 339 tests have been conducted among Rohingya in the camps so far.

“We are living in fear about what we are going to do if there is a big outbreak,” Rohingya refugee Mohammed Rafiq said by phone.

Bangladesh has seen a spike in infections in recent weeks, with 52,445 confirmed cases and 709 deaths.

“We are all working round the clock to ensure that testing is available to refugees,” said Louise Donovan, spokesperson for U.N. refugee agency UNHCR in Cox’s Bazar.

“Those who are identified as COVID-19 positive have adequate facilities in place to care for them, and to ensure contact tracing and isolation of those who may have been exposed.”

As many as 60,000 to 90,000 people are jammed into each square kilometer, with families of up to a dozen sharing small shelters.

“It is a ticking time bomb,” said Alejandro Agustin Cuyar, Relief International charity’s Cox’s Bazar program director.

Cuyar said the refugee camps were overcrowded, with shared water sources and communal toilets and washing facilities.

“Once the virus takes hold, it will be incredibly challenging to flatten the curve, so we are gravely concerned the numbers needing treatment will soon be overwhelming.”

Cox bazar has been designated a red zone and is currently under a 14 day lockdown, let's hope the situation improves.

If the virus becomes widespread in the refugee camp, things will start getting worse as the rohingya will do anything to get out of the camp, this in turn will directly effect Cox bazar district and then Chittagong city.

Nobody wants that, already Chittagong has been having more fatalities than dhaka on some days.

Cox bazar has been designated a red zone and is currently under a 14 day lockdown, let's hope the situation improves.

If the virus becomes widespread in the refugee camp, things will start getting worse as the rohingya will do anything to get out of the camp, this in turn will directly effect Cox bazar district and then Chittagong city.

Nobody wants that, already Chittagong has been having more fatalities than dhaka on some days.
It will be a massacre if there is numerous corona death in the Rohingya camp. People living in Teknaf, Ramu and Cox's Bazaar will suffer.

I went to Saint Martin this December. I saw the condition of Teknaf. It will be a chaos.

It will be a massacre if there is numerous corona death in the Rohingya camp. People living in Teknaf, Ramu and Cox's Bazaar will suffer.

I went to Saint Martin this December. I saw the condition of Teknaf. It will be a chaos.

Yes, Teknaf is now very unsafe after maghrib time/ dusk.

I think the GOB should move the refugees elsewhere, at least a few hundred thousand should be moved elsewhere immediately.

They're cutting down trees, cutting hills and encroaching land and carrying out illegal activities including killing local politicians, broad daylight robbery, kidnapping locals, beating local shopkeepers.

There's already jihadi group operating in the camp, this is most worrisome. We DON'T want terrorism in Bangladesh.

I think the GOB should move the refugees elsewhere, at least a few hundred thousand should be moved elsewhere immediately.

They're cutting down trees, cutting hills and encroaching land and carrying out illegal activities including killing local politicians, broad daylight robbery, kidnapping locals, beating local shopkeepers.

There's already jihadi group operating in the camp, this is most worrisome. We DON'T want terrorism in Bangladesh.
Bangladesh may become like Pakistan in the near future. Pakistan sheltered millions of Afghan refugees who are now doing terrorism in the country. Bangladesh also may face such situation who knows.

Also I will write an article on Afghan refugees and Rohingya similarities.

Bangladesh may become like Pakistan in the near future. Pakistan sheltered millions of Afghan refugees who are now doing terrorism in the country. Bangladesh also may face such situation who knows.

Also I will write an article on Afghan refugees and Rohingya similarities.

Afghanis and Pakistanis are a different culture from us and rohingya, we will not end up having the issues Pakistan went through during the bad periods.

Weapons are widespread in Pakistan, that doesn't help during such times as terrorists get easy access and Pakistan also has weapons smiths. We don't have these so the situation for us, if it comes to that, will be different than theirs.

But we certainly will have issues.

Not our responsibility, they’re not essential, so it doesn’t matter if they die

UN will never put pressure on Myanmar but will condemn Bangladesh for slightest action.

Did you forget how mad the UN and Human rights watch became when Bangladesh did not allow Rohingya to study at Bangladeshi universities?

UN will never put pressure on Myanmar but will condemn Bangladesh for slightest action.

Did you forget how mad the UN and Human rights watch became when Bangladesh did not allow Rohingya to study at Bangladeshi universities?
Again, UN can go **** themselves

Again, UN can go **** themselves
I do not understand one thing. Western nations are condemning Myanmar for violence but their mouthpiece which is UN has indirectly shown solidarity with the Burmese government numerous times.

What kind of dual politics is this?

I do not understand one thing. Western nations are condemning Myanmar for violence but their mouthpiece which is UN has indirectly shown solidarity with the Burmese government numerous times.

What kind of dual politics is this?
UN needs problem to survive, do you think UN has a purpose in a problem free world?

Don't be like that Bhai, never forget one thing; our people were also persecuted and forced to live their lives as refugees.

Compassion is hard to find in the region, we shouldn't be like the others.

We should all be proud of our humanity and the heart shown by our country and leadership by taking these people in and sheltering them as they were facing genocide.

Our people also faced genocide and ethnic cleansing not all that long ago.

That being said, something must be done to resolve the situation, but forgive me for being realistic when I say : the rohingya are here to stay.

Until the situation in Rakhine state is conducive to the return of these Burmese nationals, we're going to have to shelter them.

Besides, even if the conflict in Rakhine ends, do you expect the baboon generals of Burma to take the Rohingya back just like that ?

The deplorable acts of violence carried out against the Rohingya didn't happen over night, they were a series of carefully planned and executed, state sponsored campaign of persecution and ethnic cleansing; Genocide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom