What's new

First chinese with Chinese nationality get Nobel

sweetgrape

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
China
I know it is nothing for many countries, and I also not be exciting about these! For a huge country, till now, we just get one Nobel, it is so sad! whatever, congratulation to Mo!!

NOBEL: Chinese writer Mo Yan wins literature prize | The Daily Times | delmarvanow.com
NOBEL: Chinese writer Mo Yan wins literature prize
bilde

STOCKHOLM — Chinese writer Mo Yan won the Nobel Prize in literature on Thursday, a somewhat unexpected choice by a prize committee that has favored European authors in recent years.

The Swedish Academy, which selects the winners of the prestigious award, praised Mo's "hallucinatoric realism," saying it "merges folk tales, history and the contemporary."

Peter Englund, the academy's permanent secretary, said the academy had contacted Mo before the announcement.

"He said he was overjoyed and scared," Englund said.

Though Mo, 57, is the first Chinese national to win the Nobel literature prize, he's not the first Chinese.

A Chinese emigre to France, Gao Xingjian, won in 2000 for his absurdist dramas and inventive fiction, especially the novel Soul Mountain. His works are laced with criticisms of China's communist government and have been banned in China.

When Gao won, the communist leadership disowned the prize. Mo's award is likely to be more warmly greeted in Beijing.

Born Guan Moye in 1955 to a farming family in eastern Shandong province, Mo chose his penname while writing his first novel. Garrulous by nature, Mo has said the name, meaning "don't speak," was intended to remind him to hold his tongue lest he get himself into trouble and to mask his identity since he began writing while serving in the army.

His breakthrough came with novel 'Red Sorghum' published in 1987. Set in a small village, like much of his fiction, 'Red Sorghum' is an earthy tale of love and peasant struggles set against the backdrop of the anti-Japanese war. It was turned into a film that won the top prize at the Berlin International Film Festival in 1988, marked the directing debut of Zhang Yimou and boosted Mo's popularity.

Mo writes of visceral pleasures and existential quandaries and tends to create vivid, mouthy characters. While his early work stuck to a straightforward narrative structure enlivened by vivid descriptions and raunchy humor, Mo has become more experimental, toying with different narrators and embracing a freewheeling style often described as 'Chinese magical realism.'

European authors had won four of the past five awards, with last year's prize going to Swedish poet Tomas Transtromer.

As with the other Nobel Prizes, the prize is worth 8 million kronor, or about $1.2 million.

The Nobel Prize is a joke when even Obama can win one. But anyway my congratulation to Mo Yan for whatever it's worth.

Mo Yan 莫言 born 1955 is his pen name, his real name is Guan Moye 管谟业, here are his master pieces:

* Red Sorghum (first published in 1987 in Chinese; in 1993 in English)

* The Garlic Ballads (first published in English in 1995)

* Explosions and Other Stories, a collection of short stories

* The Republic of Wine: A Novel (first published in 1992 in Chinese; 2000 in English)

* Shifu: You'll Do Anything for a Laugh, a collection of short stories (first published in 2002 in English)

* Big Breasts & Wide Hips (first published in 1996 in Chinese; 2005 in English)

* Life and Death Are Wearing Me Out (published in English in 2008)

Congratulations to Mo Yan. :cheers:

Watch out though, the moderators here like to delete any threads that are positive towards China, like my Lenovo thread.

While they allow Indians to post endless numbers of China-bashing threads that have nothing to do with world affairs.

Congratulations to Mo Yan. :cheers:

Watch out though, the moderators here like to delete any threads that are positive towards China, like my Lenovo thread.

While they allow Indians to post endless numbers of China-bashing threads that have nothing to do with world affairs.

first you are trolling
second , its PDF.. belong to your friend country, not india

The Nobel Prize is a joke when even Obama can win one.
I know, the political pressure influence the Nobel, especially Nobel peace prize, all the world know the Nobel peace prize is joke, but others not! I know Nobel is not pure completely, but still present for the world highest honor for scientist and artist in many domains!

China economy and science have get huge achievement, that's the result after whole country and people working hard, I hope china education can reform to release individual!!

Although the Nobel Prize has lost a lot of its credibility in recent years, I dont think there was any political reason to reward Mo Yan, if he did not actually qualify. Congrats to him!

In science, literature, medical circles. Im not sure if there is a more prestegious award. Nobel essentially was meant to recognize those who benefitted humanity in some way. Most of the winners have been very influential in their respective fields.

The peace prize however is too broad. Peace means different things to different people.

Anyway good for China. Its good for image & soft power.

wait. so this is the first ever nobel prize a chinese is getting? that sux dude

Think Nobel Peace Prize, think Obama. He was awarded the "Peace" prize for doing exactly what he is doing to Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan.

Back
Top Bottom