What's new

First ATR-72 Maritime Patrol Aircraft delivered to Pakistan Navy

No Magnetic Anomaly Detectors ??

I cant see it...I surprised why not

Since MAD hasn't been installed, the aircraft will rely on sonobuoys for detecting submarines. In the article, it has been mentioned that the modernized ATR-72 has an 'acoustic processing system'.

As far as I know, PN Fokker's are also not equipped with MAD but can still perform ASW missions.

Last edited:
Since MAD hasn't been installed, the aircraft will rely on sonobuoys for detecting submarines. In the article, it has been mentioned that the modernized ATR-72 has an 'acoustic processing system'.

As far as I know, PN Fokker's are also not equipped with MAD but can still perform ASW missions.

Why MAD wasn't installed ? Not possible or financial reason ?,

Fokkers were more of SAR aircraft rather than a ASW ..i guess that will be left to p3

Are these more advanced or less advanced than our P-3's? And what about the role they are intended for, similar or totally different to P-3's??

Why MAD wasn't installed ? Not possible or financial reason ?,

MAD was installed on Meltem III MPA's, there is no reason why this can't be done with the PN ATR-72-500's.

It is a US$ 294 million program for 2 aircraft (already contracted) + 2 optional. Now, why doesn't this include MAD, only officials can tell.

Are these more advanced or less advanced than our P-3's? And what about the role they are intended for, similar or totally different to P-3's??

P-3C Orion is a larger platform, and is superior in all domains.
It has more hardpoints, for AGM-84L Harpoon Block II anti-ship missiles and ASW torpedoes.

ATR-72 MPA has 2 hardpoints, rigged for torpedoes.

Last edited:
IMG_5368.JPG
IMG_5367.JPG
I hope it is equipped with same avionics and sensors?
Im sure they work together. Turkey developed a lot of Anti-submarine systems against Greek subs. just recently they finished the ASELSAN sonobuoy

View attachment 486716

Turkish ATRs are equipped with MAD, I hope ours are too
Actually if it use sonobuoys, it also means that it will be equiped with MAD as they work together to get best result.

In combination, MAD allowed an aircraft to localize a contact made with sonobuoys and, the sonobuoys provided confirmation that the contact was, indeed, a submarine. In this combination MAD became the secondary system to the sonobuoy, the reverse of what was originally expected.

Anti sub sensors

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/asw3.htm

View attachment 486986

Magnetic Anomaly Detection (MAD) Sensors
MAD sensors are used to detect the natural and manmade differences in the Earth's magnetic fields. Some of these differences are caused by the Earth's geological structures and sunspot activity. Other changes can be caused by the passing of large ferrous objects, such as ships, submarines or even aircraft through the Earth's magnetic field. MAD sensor operation is similar in principle to the metal detector used by a treasure hunter or the devices used by utility companies to find underground pipes.

Additionally, the MAD head is placed the farthest distance away from all the interfering sources. That is why the P-3C Orion aircraft has its distinct tail stinger or "MAD boom". On the S-3B, a similar MAD boom is installed and is electrically extended away from the aircraft during MAD operations. Additionally, the SH-60B extends a towed device called a "MAD bird" to reduce aircraft magnetic noise.
https://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2015/01/bae-subhunting-drone.html

https://www.ausairpower.net/SP/DT-ASW-Sensors-Dec-2010.pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom