What's new

Finally!!!! India joins the Cryogenic Club-GSLV D5 Successfully launched

BBC and CNN seem to have serious heartburn up in their a$$es, not reporting GSLV-D5 success,
I remember they were reporting it in bold and on home page when first launch had failed.
BBC and CNN seem to have serious heartburn up in their a$$es, not reporting GSLV-D5 success,
I remember they were reporting it in bold and on home page when first launch had failed.

Finally after more than 24 hours of successful launch BBC reported it BBC News - India launches cryogenic rocket

CNN stills seems to be sulking. :lol:

Crunched some more numbers. I revise my opinion: at the time the decision was made, in 1990, it did indeed make financial sense for India to initiate a program to build its own heavy launchers.

However, it probably didn't make finacial sense for India to maintain the GLSV program after 2008 or so when it became clear that new Western launchers would drive the price-per-pound to GTO lower than what the GLSV could achieve.
India to soon look for contracts to launch heavy satellites: ISRO chief - Sci/Tech - DNA

For ISRO to bag commercial launch contracts, the costs are in its favour. Radhakrishnan told IANS Saturday that the country pays around $85-90 million or around Rs.500 crore as launch fee for sending up a 3.5 tonne communication satellite(satellite cost extra)whereas the GSLV rocket costs around Rs.220(less than 50%) crore and the GSAT-14 that went up Sunday evening costs around Rs.145 crore.(for 2 tonne)

So explain this HoW?

"Western launchers would drive the price-per-pound to GTO lower than what the GLSV could achieve".

Last edited:
Um, no. You'll "master" it when you develop the ability to stop and restart the engine in space. It's a bit more tricky, take maybe a few more years of work, but important if you want to use the engine and high-energy upper stage to put payloads into temporary parking orbit, as NASA does for interplanetary and lunar missions. It also increases the margin of safety for manned missions.

Congrats, India. You are now fifty years behind the U.S., which developed the "Centaur" hydrogen-fueled upper stage in the mid-1960s.

Though i agree with the core part, but i feel the Indian "displacemnent" in terms of technology has been huge with this success.

Sometimes, its not really important to master the technology, but rather apply the technology and achieve the goals you set.

Classic Example is the RD-170 Engine ( RD-170 (rocket engine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )is the BEST CRYO Engine in the WORLD developed by Russians in 60/70's.. Which USA is YET to "master" and achieve by 2020 !!

Whoops USA is 70 Years behind Russia ... Really ? ..
Answer : If it comes to Cryo Engines , Indeed the Answer is YES !

The Following Video Answers the Qs.... But Do remember Who landed on the moon ...

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone has any cost comparison of SpaceX launches vs India's launches.
I read in reddit ,and I m copy pasting the comments from there.

Indian mission cost 56$million
Rocket cost 173 crore rupees = ~$28m
Satellite cost 45 crore rupees = ~$7.2m
Total mission costs 350 crore rupees = ~$56m
GSLV rockets can launch about 2500kg to GSO @ $11,200/kg

while
Space x falcon 9 can launch 4850kg to GSO @ $11,546/kg , the rocket itself cost 56million $
I
m not sure how much of it is correct , but cost/kg wise our rocket seems to be cheaper...

India successfully launched GSLV-D5, its first cryogenic engine powered launch vehicle. : worldnews
Falcon 9 | SpaceX
edit: @ni8mare post above states that our mission cost Rs 145crore (about half of what i stated before), so our is definitely cheaper..

Last edited:
Crunched some more numbers. I revise my opinion: at the time the decision was made, in 1990, it did indeed make financial sense for India to initiate a program to build its own heavy launchers.

However, it probably didn't make finacial sense for India to maintain the GLSV program after 2008 or so when it became clear that new Western launchers would drive the price-per-pound to GTO lower than what the GLSV could achieve.

China is making Cars cheaper than Japan US Korea. May be the whole world should close all their production just because China does it cheaper. Use your brain a bit please. Even if Space X does it cheaper does not mean we shouldn't even try. Space X can make profit with launches so can We. I hope it doesn't hurt your ego

Um, no. You'll "master" it when you develop the ability to stop and restart the engine in space. It's a bit more tricky, take maybe a few more years of work, but important if you want to use the engine and high-energy upper stage to put payloads into temporary parking orbit, as NASA does for interplanetary and lunar missions. It also increases the margin of safety for manned missions.

Congrats, India. You are now fifty years behind the U.S., which developed the "Centaur" hydrogen-fueled upper stage in the mid-1960s.
Wrong.

Better keep those numbers to yourself. The cheapest solution is you applying some burnol to your burnt @$$....

I missed the launch on sunday and all the excitement ...... :cry:

Second orbit raising operation of GSAT-14 communication satellite, successfully completed today by firing Apogee Motor for 2,629 seconds.

SEQUENTIAL RECAP IN THE LAST

gslv-d5-18_650_010614032442.jpg

gslv-d5-18-4_650_010614032632.jpg

gslv-d5-18-2_650_010614032337.jpg

gslv-d5-18-5_650_010614032336.jpg

gslv-d5-18-3_650_010614032337.jpg

When I determine I'm in error I change my mind. What do you do, sir?
@Solomon2 , have you come to the determination that GSLV is cheaper than other launchers on offer?
Or are you just countering the other poster? ( Can't determine sarcasm or change of mind on web :-) )

Anyone else saw the acoustic suppression system working?
U2143P27T1D579606F3DT20100105110340.jpg

Can some one with a sharp eye see the differences

Completely different pictures taken at different times. In your pic, 'Arms' of the launcher are missing, weather is cloudy, exhaust is unblocked etc. Why do you ask?

No arms plus the bottom most part is covered in recent launch, so i can`t see the red glowing jet from thrusters if seen from front ,,... did u mean that by acoostic suppresion(i thought that means water spraying machines, i could see nothing:(:() .. i m an idiot ,please explain:enjoy:
Anyone else saw the acoustic suppression system working?
U2143P27T1D579606F3DT20100105110340.jpg

Can some one with a sharp eye see the differences

Back
Top Bottom