What's new

FIBA hits Turkey with fine for canceling cheerleader shows

Jigs

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
ISTANBUL - Daily News with wires

The International Basketball Federation, or FIBA, has fined the Turkish Basketball Federation, or TBF, 3,200 Swiss Francs for interrupting a performance by female dancers during the World Basketball Championship.

TBF was hit with the sanction for not allowing the Red Foxes, a Ukrainian dance group, to perform their show during a 2010 FIBA World Basketball Championship game between Turkey and Russia in Ankara on Aug. 29.

The Red Foxes were regularly performing during timeouts and breaks during the games at the Ankara Arena, but disappeared during Turkey’s games. Turkish media claimed the groups shows were canceled at games attended by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The Hürriyet Daily News & Economic Review tried to contact FIBA officials and the local organizing committee for their response to the sudden absence of the dancers, but they were unavailable to make an immediate comment on the issue.

The New York Times quoted the dance team’s coach, Elena Rozhkova, as saying her team “was pulled from the past three Turkey games for a political reason.”

Basketball’s international governing body admitted to the daily that cultural adjustments were made. Apart from Turkey’s matches, The United States-Iran game played in Istanbul’s Abdi İpekçi Arena saw cheerleaders perform with less revealing outfits.

“It is a balance between respecting the culture and making sure basketball delivers all the pace, excitement and entertainment that goes with the World Championship,” FIBA Secretary-General Patrick Baumann was quoted as saying in the daily. “If it needs a little bit of adjustment, that is fine with us.” TBF officials, however, denied claims there were political issues behind the cheerleaders’ no-show in Ankara.

“I would like to assure you that the decision had no influence from either the government or the federation itself,” Sancar Sonmez, the TBF spokesman, told the New York Times later.

If anyone has seen the dresses of these red foxes, they will be urged to close the show too. :partay:

There are kids watching the show atleast have some respect for that.

If anyone has seen the dresses of these red foxes, they will be urged to close the show too. :partay:

I have no problem with it and kids shouldn't as well. They are cheerleaders it is part of Basketball and if AKP isn't ready for that then i guess we can't have basketball in Turkey. Erdogan needs to stop sticking his nose into everything.

I refuse to watch basketball with no cheerleaders! :smitten:

I don't like the Cheerleaders, most of them look Ugly and fake styled. I favor more natural Beauty ! This change nothing on my position that I strongly oppose Erdogan polarizing Nature !

I don't like the Cheerleaders, most of them look Ugly and fake styled. I favor more natural Beauty ! This change nothing on my position that I strongly oppose Erdogan polarizing Nature !

then you can enjoy watching them get punished..err..trained :azn:

Last edited by a moderator:

oh please... ... no offense but "get a life" fits like a glove in this case.......

:coffee:

idiot... only thing he didnt put his nose into... was basketball damn!

Back
Top Bottom