What's new

Feel the Power:The World is round!!

nForce

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Disclaimer:I am not trying to hijack the original idea of XiniX of creating the 'Feel the .....' series.He is a great person and I respect him a lot.I just complimenting and complementing him with this....my 2 cents...

This is what it used to be..........

The picture below is of Lord Macaulay,who was appointed to be the the first Law Member of the Governor-General's Council,in British-India.
Thomas_Babington_Macaulay%2C_Baron_Macaulay.jpg

This is what he had to say about India,in 1835....

"I have traveled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."

Refer to the picture below:

This is what it is now........

David Cameron begins Indian trade drive
David Cameron has begun a two-day visit to India with the aim of strengthening relations and creating jobs back in the UK.

The prime minister is leading what Downing Street describes as the largest UK trade delegation in living memory.

Mr Cameron is accompanied by senior Cabinet colleagues and dozens of business executives.

Beginning his tour in Bangalore, Mr Cameron will say he wants to make the UK "the partner of choice" for India.

The government regards India as a vital regional and economic partner in the drive to boost exports and investment.

In an article for The Hindu newspaper, Mr Cameron wrote: "I have come to your country in a spirit of humility.

"I know that Britain cannot rely on sentiment and shared history for a place in India's future.

"Your country has the whole world beating a path to its door. But I believe Britain should be India's partner of choice in the years ahead. Starting this week, that is what we are determined to deliver."

British High Commissioner to India, Sir Richard Stagg, said Mr Cameron hoped to forge a new special relationship after a period in which ties had stagnated, adding that the visit was "unique in scale and ambition".

Among those who have travelled to India with Mr Cameron are Chancellor George Osborne, Foreign Secretary William Hague and Business Secretary Vince Cable.

The sizeable business delegation includes the bosses of Barclays, Vodafone, SAB Miller and the English Premier League, while leading academics and sporting figures - including 2012 Olympics chairman Lord Coe - have also made the trip.

'Easier access'
Pointing to Indian involvement in UK car manufacturing and steel production, Mr Cameron is expected to call on India to reduce trade barriers in banking, insurance, defence manufacturing and legal services.

The BBC's Laura Kuenssberg, who is travelling with the PM, said he will "argue for easier access for British business to set up and trade in India", and "promise to make the British economy as open as possible to India".

But she said Indian ministers had already voiced concerns about the coalition's moves to introduce an annual cap on migrants from outside the EU entering the UK.

Dr Cable attracted attention after telling the Indian media that he wanted the UK to have "as liberal an immigration policy as it is possible to have".

He told the BBC the "key point" was that the policy had to be "flexible".

"Companies expect to be able to move their staff around simply to do their job and it's my job as business secretary to make that case," he said.

Our correspondent said she expected Mr Cameron to be pressed on the potential contradiction between arguing for the UK to attract more talented Indian professionals but restricting immigration at the same time.

On Tuesday, a Downing Street spokeswoman said the Home Office had made it "very clear" it wanted to see net annual migration fall from hundreds of thousands in recent years to tens of thousands.

Since taking office, the coalition has stressed the need to place economic co-operation and trade development at the heart of its foreign policy, with increased focus on fast-growing economies in Asia and Latin America.

The BBC's economics editor Stephanie Flanders said Britain now exported more to Ireland than it did to Brazil, India, Russia and China combined.

As well as making the case for increased two-way investment, Mr Cameron is expected to discuss foreign policy and security goals with Indian leaders, focusing on joint counter-terrorism initiatives and support for Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Mr Cameron travelled to India from Turkey where he pledged to help the country's EU entry bid.

He last visited India in 2006, in his first year as opposition leader.
Source

British Prime Minister David Cameron (right) with Infosys chief mentor N.R. Narayana Murthy at the Infosys campus in Bangalore. Photo: PTI
28IN_ASHWIN_MURTHYT_152321g.jpg

An animated Mr. Cameron during his speech in the Infosys campus.
28IN_ASHWIN_ANIMATE_152326g.jpg

Mr. Cameron greets Infosys employees during his visit.
28IN_ASHWIN_GREETIN_152325g.jpg

An MOU being signed between BAE Systems, HAL and Rolls Royce in the presence of (back row - from right to left) David Cameron (Prime Minister of United Kingdom) , Ashok Nayak (HAL Chairman), Dick Olver (Chairman. BAE Systems) and Home Minister of Karnataka V.S. Acharya
28IN_ASHWIN_MOU_152322g.jpg

This is what it used to be.....

Do you mean to say that Tatas propose to make steel rails to British specifications?
--Why, I will undertake to eat every pound of steel rail they succeed in making.

-Sir Frederick Upcott,
Chief Commissioner for the Indian Railways.

This is what it is now......

Tata Steel ended up buying the British Steel.Tata Steel took over Corus steel in an $8.1BN deal.The firm was formed out of the 1999 merger of British Steel and Dutch group Hoogovens.
The deal made Tata Steel World's fifth largest steel manufacturer.

Anglo-Dutch steel firm Corus has confirmed it is accepting a £4.3bn ($8.1bn) takeover offer from Indian rival Tata Steel.

The acceptance of the deal, revealed by the BBC on Thursday, is the largest Indian takeover of a foreign company.

If approved by Corus shareholders, it would create the world's fifth-biggest steel firm.

Corus employs 47,300 people worldwide, including 24,000 in the UK at plants at Port Talbot, Scunthorpe and Rotherham. The firm was formed out of the 1999 merger of British Steel and Dutch group Hoogovens.

The 455p-a-share offer is below the current price of Corus shares, which were trading at 474p on Friday.

Tata has pledged to pay £126m into the Corus pension fund as part of the deal, and will increase the annual contributions to the British Steel fund.

It added it did not plan to relocate any Corus plants, but Tata said job cuts could not be ruled out in the long-term.
Source

This is what it used to be......

The British East India Company,the company that owned an entire country!!They came to India as traders but used their famous 'Divide and Rule Policy' to conquer the whole of India,a process that started with Battle of Plassey in 1757 and ended with the takeover of India by British Crown after The Rebellion of 1857.
The company drained wealth from India,as much as they could and imposed unfair laws and practices upon Indian merchants and peasants.

This is what it is now........

An Indian now owns East India Company

With just around a month to go for the re-launch of the East India Company - the world's first multinational whose forces once ruled much of the globe - its new Indian owner says he is overwhelmed by "a huge feeling of redemption".

It's been a long, emotional and personal journey for Sanjiv Mehta, a Mumbai-born entrepreneur who completed the process of buying the East India Company (EIC) in 2005 from the "30 or 40" people who owned it.

Acutely aware that he owned a piece of history - at its height the company generated half of world trade and employed a third of the British workforce - Mehta, now the sole owner, dived into the company's rich and ruthless past in order to give it a new direction for the future.

With a $15-million investment and inputs from a range of experts - from designers and brand researchers to historians - Mehta is today poised to open the first East India Company store in London's upmarket Mayfair neighbourhood in March.

And then there is the inevitable - and daunting - task of launching in India, a country whose resources, army, trade and politics the company had controlled for some 200 years.

It's a task that Mehta has not taken lightly, he told reporter in an interview. "Put yourself in my shoes for a moment: On a rational plane, when I bought the company I saw gold at the end of the rainbow.

"But, at an emotional level as an Indian, when you think with your heart as I do, I had this huge feeling of redemption - this indescribable feeling of owning a company that once owned us."

The formal start of the East India Company is usually dated back to 1600 when Britain's Queen Elizabeth I granted a group of merchants a charter under the name 'The Company of Merchants of London Trading into the East Indies.'

With its own Elizabethan coat of arms - now owned by Mehta - the company was made responsible for bringing tea, coffee and luxury goods to the West and trading in spices across the globe.

By 1757 the company had become a powerful arm of British imperial might, with its own army, navy, shipping fleets and currency, and control over key trading posts in India - where it was known variously as Company Bahadur and John Company. In 1874, the British government nationalised the company, opportunistically blaming the 1857 uprising on its excesses. But the East India Company army, brought under the command of the Crown, retained its all-powerful presence in India.

"When I took over the company, my objective was to understand its history. I took a sabbatical from all other business and this became the single purpose in my life," said Mehta.

He travelled around the world, visiting former EIC trading posts and museums, reading up records and meeting people "who understood the business of that time".

"There was a huge sense of responsibility - I didn't create this brand, but I wanted to be as pioneering as the merchants who created it."

"The Elizabethan coat of arms stands for trust and reassurance, but we are not repeating history. It took me four years to do the brand positioning and put up the milestones."

The 'relaunched' company, with its headquarters on Conduit Street in Mayfair, is set to open a diverse line of high-end, luxury goods in London in March and in India some time this year.

EIC products in India will include fine foods, furniture, real estate, health and hospitality.

"India is the spirit of the East India Company in many ways - it evokes a huge amount of connectivity and emotions," Mehta said. "It's also a major ambition to bring Indian products to the rest of the world. Today there is no single brand name from the East that can stand alongside, say, Hermes or Cartier from the West.

"The East India Company has that ability."

Feel free to comment and add anything that is substantial.....

Last edited:
We should let the past die and look to the future...

But damn, it still feels good. :yahoo:

:lol::lol::lol:
It is not like we hate the British for what was done to us by them many years ago.The World order was like that at that time,and human civilization took its own course.But surely we keep these things in mind and draw inspiration from them....

Lord Macaulay is an absolute hoax. He must have traveled to some princely states and then reported back his pathetic analysis.

@nFORCE

you could have used another word in place of "feel the"..
However a great compilation nonetheless

Lord Macaulay is an absolute hoax. He must have traveled to some princely states and then reported back his pathetic analysis.
Entire India was princely state then dude. Reveal your actual flag and stop hiding behind Russian flag. We've Russian member on this forum and we know what it is like when they interact.

You've been spewing nonsense against Indians everywhere.

Amazing compilation.. good work by nForce..

He can give serious competition to XiniX in creating interesting and thought provocative threads!

Please refer to what he had to say......

"I have traveled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."

@nFORCE

you could have used another word in place of "feel the"..
However a great compilation nonetheless

Yes,a part of my mind tells me that as well.But then,I was really inspired by the posts of XiniX,so I wanted to create something in the same line.My way to pay respect,you can say.Stay tuned,theres a lot more to come from me,and you can expect catchy titles too....:):):)

Wow who were ruling India back then when this Lard Macauly travelled the length and breadth of india? Must be cool rulers I bet.

Wow who were ruling India back then when this Lard Macauly travelled the length and breadth of india? Must be cool rulers I bet.

Virtually the British East India company....

Entire India was princely state then dude. Reveal your actual flag and stop hiding behind Russian flag. We've Russian member on this forum and we know what it is like when they interact.

You've been spewing nonsense against Indians everywhere.

But I do admit India has accomplished great. I congratulate them. But dont assume I am Russian. I am Egyptian born in GDR then grew up in USSR. I have many good memories from USSR. Now i am growing old lol.

:lol::lol::lol:
It is not like we hate the British for what was done to us by them many years ago.The World order was like that at that time,and human civilization took its own course.But surely we keep these things in mind and draw inspiration from them....

It's a good stance and you hypocrites should have the decency to acknowledge that the same truth is applicable in case of Bangladesh and Pakistan.

It's a good stance and you hypocrites should have the decency to acknowledge that the same truth is applicable in case of Bangladesh and Pakistan.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:Better luck next time........weak attempt,won't do.:no::no::no::no:

So far as the scope of this thread is concerned,these incidents are as much important to Pakistan and Bangladesh as it is to India.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom