What's new

February 2019 Indo/Pak Standoff - Unanswered Questions

Why bother? Israeli, Indian .. take your pick. Just disregard any insinuation of being - PAF.
In the eagerness to post updates, ISPR (did not) messed up.

Little birdie tells me that W/C Abhinandan may share honours with PAF/PA AD.

@The Deterrent

My final statement on this platform till a far off future date:

"In the fog of war, your AWACS, AEW & C and your platforms have the IFF. Alas, the missiles in air, do not."

I think you have your answers there.

@Oscar

For you too.

Cheers and out for a very long time.
The Wg Cdr did not fire a single weapon, pictures here of his entire loadout exist.

PAF F-16s are all available for review to the best of my information , but as a devil’s advocate any shootdown - it would have been fratricide.

If a F-16 did go down as purported by your side, then we’ll see the usual “technical issues” statement.

I wouldn’t hold my breath-body language on my birdies indicates everyone made a normal landing home.

Intelligence failure probably not .
Because everyone was expecting some kind of retaliation from Pakistan .
So you can understand how much alert they will be .
What we can say about that development it was a calculated yet a standard low risk response to deescalate the situation.
Any way our mission was terrorists not Pakistan or its military .

Lets assume this , suppose if we deployed SAM systems or twice stronger squadrons of Su 30 or Mig 29 in that sector .
You know what would be the result and if the Pak strike package will suffer serious casualities,next development would be the declaration of war from the Pakistan side .
We dont want war .It will affect our economy.
So in sense we tactically absorb the retaliation of Pakistan without compromising our security .
We also knows that everyone was looking for war especially some foreign vested interests .
Because that is good for their business.
Interpretation and perception of events always has some national bias- lets agree tp disagree.

Why bother? Israeli, Indian .. take your pick. Just disregard any insinuation of being - PAF.
In the eagerness to post updates, ISPR (did not) messed up.

@The Deterrent

"In the fog of war, your AWACS, AEW & C and your platforms have the IFF. Alas, the missiles in air, do not."

@Oscar

For you too.

Cheers and out for a very long time.
3-4 days back i had my own mini theory :).

Firstly i never understood why PAF had to involve so many aircraft.

As for what happened i started with the idea that Abhinandan somehow got an F-16 on his sights and wanted to have a go at it despite the ROEs. His wingman had no choice but to follow him.

Once Abhinandan and/or some other IAF jet fired its missiles PAF pilots changed their ROEs as per established procedure and fired quite a few of their missiles. This made the remaining IAF jets scurry back and the MIG-21 was brought down.

IFF stands for
Quoting your own post to get an answer:o:

For your query, IFF stands for 'Identification friend or foe'.

'Identification, friend or foe (IFF) is a radar-based identification system designed for command and control. It uses a transponder that listens for an interogation signal and then sends a response consisting of a unique signal that identifies the broadcaster. It enables military and civilian air traffic control interrogation systems to identify aircraft, vehicles or forces as friendly and to determine their bearing and range from the interrogator. IFF may be used by both military and civilian aircraft.'

1. Why did the IAF's 4x SPICE-2000 equipped 2000lbs bombs miss their target(s) at Balakot by 100-200m?
A. Is it possible that, despite the SPICE being an autonomous battle-tested SOW kit with a 3m CEP, harsh weather played its role? Consequently, did IAF unknowingly give GoI an inaccurate bomb damage assessment, trusting the weapon system? Did Mirage-2000s not have the IIR feed of the SPICE seekers, due to LoS because of terrain?
B. Or was this an intentional, shot-across-the-bow, meant to send a message to Pakistan? If yes, why did GoI claim a large number of terrorists being eliminated? Did GoI unnecessarily politicize the strike, hoping to kill two birds with one stone? Did GoI underestimate the national and international questioning of the validity of its claims?

1 - The Indian never ventured deep in to Pakistan airspace. There are two evidence/narratives available to support it.
A- DG ISPR said Indian jets were within 2/4 km in to Pakistan airspace.
B- In one of the articles I shared earlier on the forum, an Indian sources declared on condition of anonmity that IAF jets never crossed the LoC. They fired the Spice 2000 from Indian Airspace as stand off weapons.
2- According to the Pakistani sources Pakistani jets were sent to intercept and due to their threat the Indian jets off loaded their cargo quickly before fleeing.
3- In the light of the above information coming from official/or supposedly official sources it is more likely than not that the targets were missed due to the potential danger faced by IAF on 26th from Pakistani interceptor rather than because of any technical reasons or intentions.

If hitting the targets were not in Indians planning they would have not made it an issue. The amount of criticism India got from around the world for misleading the world on what targets it hit, makes it counter productive to make such claims.
The desperation shown by Indian media subsequently to create unfathomable excuses shows that hitting the targets with full force was definitely planned by India, but they failed to execute them due to the pressure applied on them by PAF.

It has been revealed on this forum by someone who is supposedly in the know that the PAF pilots were instructed not to shot down IAF planes on 26th. I can not vouch for that, but if that were the instructions given by high command, I don't agree with them, I think a massive mistake had been made, it gives completely the wrong signal to the enemy.

Hi @The Deterrent
You seem to be relying too much on Dr Vipin Narang's evaluation of the situation. I dont think India's nuclear posture has changed, I might be wrong though. It might not be completely wrong to assume that India has re-calibrated or retuned her posture vis-a-vis Pakistan. India might undertake, and that's a BIG MIGHT, comprehensive first counter force strike if she felt that a nuclear strike from Pakistan is imminent. Previously the thinking was that India would absorb the first strike before retaliating, however post 2010 period, with sustained economic growth, the stakes have increased so much for India that it cant risk loosing major urban and industrial centers and this reflects in the thought process of higher echelon (folks like Shivshankar Menon, ex NSA: a very fine diplomat with a legacy) that India will not allow Pakistan to go first. However being realistic I feel a lot needs to be done before this thinking can be effectively materialized into a formal doctrine. For instance it would still take India couple of years before "continuous around the year deterrent patrol" can be undertaken. Similarly, a host of ultra long range radars need to be in place (some are already in place) to track the trajectory of each and every missile tested or fired by Pakistan. I am talking about ranges of >800kms. These radars are not swordfish/greenpine, but LRDE's very own- similar to VC 11184 program.
View attachment 548301
What is also very important is around the clock monitoring of Pakistani launch sites, now remote sensing satellites are fine, however they cant replace a proper SAR satellite, it is for this reason that a few SAR satellites in X-band and C_band are required for around the clock monitoring in all weather conditions. At the end comes the kinetic means of taking out adversary's nuclear potential. This has already been alluded to in the form of Brahmos etc.
Dr. Vipin Narang only scratched the surface, sticking to statements and weapon capabilities. I've held this view for a couple years now, and only recently began talking about it here and there due to increase in 'activities'. My post covers the same, none of it has been talked about by anyone.

Of course, as you pointed out, India will not allow Pakistan to go first. This was not the case before, which is exactly my point. This is a MASSIVE change in posture. It doesn't matters if India is 'ready' (BMD, radars, satellites etc), going first has the chance of reducing inflicted damage a few times over. The problem is, Pakistan can counter this relatively easily by increasing robustness and mobility of its first strike elements, to restore the strategic balance. However as I've been advocating, the result of these shifts in posture will lead both countries towards instability vis a vis launch readiness. It is absolutely not worth it.

Launching Cruise missiles At Pakistan? So do you think PAF response would have been These Dummy Strikes we did in response to a Cruise Missile Strike on Pakistani soil? Or are you assuming Babur and Raad are just concept Arts?. A well coordinated Bhramos strike would have meant WAR. Both India and Pakistan have much to worry about from each other to be precise. What everyone is celebrating about Humiliation of Indian Childish Narrative of Pushing the Red lines further and further not expecting anything in return imitating itself as USAF. Not Conventional Superiority over India
Relax, war is not fought on calculators. Capability to carefully proportionately escalate the situation is a MUST when it comes to nuclear foes. Otherwise the thresholds remain low and its MAD from the beginning.

Lets assume this , suppose if we deployed SAM systems or twice stronger squadrons of Su 30 or Mig 29 in that sector .
You know what would be the result and if the Pak strike package will suffer serious casualities,next development would be the declaration of war from the Pakistan side .
Are you seriously advocating that IAF deliberately 'allowed' Pakistan to hit back, with major success?

@The Deterrent

To add to that, PAF used a DA20 EW aircraft during the strike. That might answer some of your questions as well.

have some self respect in what you writing here. right guy

your stupid jungle strike. got you endless humiliation the reality of your strength is average. for all to see

Your western ally’s are embarrassed of you now. they realised your not a champ but a useless chump

your military power is no more than Pakistan’s is! No killer punch then

better, just to learn be quite and except your place is right now with Pakistan.

it’s none threatening you are losing men on loc everyday now. you talk about your su30 squadrons who went missing everybody new Pakistan’s retaliation was coming?

blaming business and outsiders for your failures
When that adrenaline rush is over, try to analyze how lucky PAF and Pakistan have been in this skirmish.

1 - The Indian never ventured deep in to Pakistan airspace. There are two evidence/narratives available to support it.
A- DG ISPR said Indian jets were within 2/4 km in to Pakistan airspace.
B- In one of the articles I shared earlier on the forum, an Indian sources declared on condition of anonmity that IAF jets never crossed the LoC. They fired the Spice 2000 from Indian Airspace as stand off weapons.
2- According to the Pakistani sources Pakistani jets were sent to intercept and due to their threat the Indian jets off loaded their cargo quickly before fleeing.
3- In the light of the above information coming from official/or supposedly official sources it is more likely than not that the targets were missed due to the potential danger faced by IAF on 26th from Pakistani interceptor rather than because of any technical reasons or intentions.

If hitting the targets were not in Indians planning they would have not made it an issue. The amount of criticism India got from around the world for misleading the world on what targets it hit, makes it counter productive to make such claims.
The desperation shown by Indian media subsequently to create unfathomable excuses shows that hitting the targets with full force was definitely planned by India, but they failed to execute them due to the pressure applied on them by PAF.

It has been revealed on this forum by someone who is supposedly in the know that the PAF pilots were instructed not to shot down IAF planes on 26th. I can not vouch for that, but if that were the instructions given by high command, I don't agree with them, I think a massive mistake had been made, it gives completely the wrong signal to the enemy.
-Um I mentioned nowhere that IAF penetrated deep inside Pakistan.

-Highly likely that SPICE-2000s were meant to hit 100-200m off the target, they are autonomous weapons. If any error was there while launching or if they were released in a 'hurry', they would have landed a few kms away. If dumped the payload to bug out, then they wouldn't have armed them.

-So far the attempted strike has been able to achieve the objective at home for BJP and abroad against Pakistan. If it continues to be that way, then it doesn't matters if the strike is proven missed.

-That's BS, as long as enemy fighter aircraft is in Pakistani territory, it is cleared to be shot down. However if its already bugging out and is a few kms away from the border, then the shoot-down is risky because the wreckage may crash in enemy territory, leading to the enemy claiming that it was falsely shot down. In all likelihood, PAF didn't have enough assets in the air at the time of incursion.

Dr. Vipin Narang only scratched the surface, sticking to statements and weapon capabilities. I've held this view for a couple years now, and only recently began talking about it here and there due to increase in 'activities'. My post covers the same, none of it has been talked about by anyone.

Of course, as you pointed out, India will not allow Pakistan to go first. This was not the case before, which is exactly my point. This is a MASSIVE change in posture. It doesn't matters if India is 'ready' (BMD, radars, satellites etc), going first has the chance of reducing inflicted damage a few times over. The problem is, Pakistan can counter this relatively easily by increasing robustness and mobility of its first strike elements, to restore the strategic balance. However as I've been advocating, the result of these shifts in posture will lead both countries towards instability vis a vis launch readiness. It is absolutely not worth it.

Relax, war is not fought on calculators. Capability to carefully proportionately escalate the situation is a MUST when it comes to nuclear foes. Otherwise the thresholds remain low and its MAD from the beginning.

Are you seriously advocating that IAF deliberately 'allowed' Pakistan to hit back, with major success?

To add to that, PAF used a DA20 EW aircraft during the strike. That might answer some of your questions as well.

When that adrenaline rush is over, try to analyze how lucky PAF and Pakistan have been in this skirmish.

-Highly likely that SPICE-2000s were meant to hit 100-200m off the target, they are autonomous weapons. If any error was there while launching or if they were released in a 'hurry', they would have landed a few kms away. If dumped the payload to bug out, then they wouldn't have armed them.

-So far the attempted strike has been able to achieve the objective at home for BJP and abroad against Pakistan. If it continues to be that way, then it doesn't matters if the strike is proven missed.

-That's BS, as long as enemy fighter aircraft is in Pakistani territory, it is cleared to be shot down. However if its already bugging out and is a few kms away from the border, then the shoot-down is risky because the wreckage may crash in enemy territory, leading to the enemy claiming that it was falsely shot down. In all likelihood, PAF didn't have enough assets in the air at the time of incursion.

It was a major success if they were able to
hit few of our military installations because that was their missions .
That doesnt happen.
We dont have lack of resource to deploy
in that problematic sector .
A 5 to 6 squadrons can deploy within minutes and Awacs had already been there 24 hrs .
So our aim was to prevent PAF strike package from creating serious damage.
Not to attack them .

Deeacalation through IAF.PAF could have more assertive but they were also there to make a point.

Quoting your own post to get an answer:o:

For your query, IFF stands for 'Identification friend or foe'.

'Identification, friend or foe (IFF) is a radar-based identification system designed for command and control. It uses a transponder that listens for an interogation signal and then sends a response consisting of a unique signal that identifies the broadcaster. It enables military and civilian air traffic control interrogation systems to identify aircraft, vehicles or forces as friendly and to determine their bearing and range from the interrogator. IFF may be used by both military and civilian aircraft.'
I understand the friend or foe identification but wasn't familiar with iff term

1. Possible, but SPICE has redundancies (GNSS/INS + IIR), and enough control surfaces to redirect itself. Also, ALL 4x SOWs OVERSHOT their targets, thats something not likely to happen.

2. Possible, however the FM statement came after a few hours of the strike. Enough time for them to amend it.

3. Possible, but according to IAF statement, PAF made technical and proper violations at at least 2x locations. That might have divided the airborne CAP units.

4. Thats interesting. Was PAF able to stay below the horizon and jam IAF's AEW, leading to Abhinandhan's GCI giving him a go-ahead?

5. Agreed.

6. My hunch is also now with a Mirage-III since it was the primary strike aircraft that day, but as you said, all the other indicators are saying otherwise. At the end of the day, we do have an additional confirmed kill of an unidentified dual-seater aircraft over the LoC, the wreckage of which hasn't been publicly found. Who did it belong to? We may never find out.

7. I doubt that both DG ISPR and PM Imran Khan were ill-informed. If they were, somebody should've clarified by now.

8. Yeah, it was most certainly a shoot-down, not claimed by anyone so far.

9. Something tells me that there was more to it than merely international pressure.

10. Possible.
If a Pakistani aircraft went down it could have been a mirage.

- Spice 2000 strike off target is an assumption. India was and did advertise 300+ casualties from their strikes. Why would they embarrass themselves!! Secondly, they continued, even now, to insist that 300+ casualties did happen. They are bringing all the theories of smart smaller warheads etc. which means to only kill the inhabitants and cause no damage to the buildings. Such elaborate efforts to establish something which was not your intentions! As a bonus laughed at by the whole world!!!
I don't think so. Therefore, the evidence ever since shows that the Indians definitely wanted to strike the buildings, but some how they failed. The reasons may come out later, may be in years.

- I don't agree with your analysis. The strike have caused shame for Indians world over.

- I have been saying this all along, once they enter your airspace, the war is already on. This was the point of view of another person. I am still of the opinion PAF should have made the kill on 26th. IF they did, the Indians could not have claimed that they were shot down on their side of the border. They simply cannot when you are claiming that you have intruded 80 kilometers right up to Balakot.

Last edited:
3-4 days back i had my own mini theory :).

Firstly i never understood why PAF had to involve so many aircraft.

As for what happened i started with the idea that Abhinandan somehow got an F-16 on his sights and wanted to have a go at it despite the ROEs. His wingman had no choice but to follow him.

Once Abhinandan and/or some other IAF jet fired its missiles PAF pilots changed their ROEs as per established procedure and fired quite a few of their missiles. This made the remaining IAF jets scurry back and the MIG-21 was brought down.
You are the closest on your side to the picture I know of. Frankly the PAF was left surprised not just of the IAF response( in terms of lack of effort) but also of the lack of effectiveness of SA and IAF command structure.
I have a feeling that IAF RoEs were restrictive (simply because someone higher up had given them bad intel on Pakistani willingness to respond) and from there a loss of situational awareness and decision failure occurred.

You are the closest on your side to the picture I know of. Frankly the PAF was left surprised not just of the IAF response( in terms of lack of effort) but also of the lack of effectiveness of SA and IAF command structure.
I have a feeling that IAF RoEs were restrictive (simply because someone higher up had given them bad intel on Pakistani willingness to respond) and from there a loss of situational awareness and decision failure occurred.

They prodded us to reveal capabilities, and we showed them our trump cards while inflicting minimal damage. The joke's on us.

Hi @The Deterrent
You seem to be relying too much on Dr Vipin Narang's evaluation of the situation. I dont think India's nuclear posture has changed, I might be wrong though. It might not be completely wrong to assume that India has re-calibrated or retuned her posture vis-a-vis Pakistan. India might undertake, and that's a BIG MIGHT, comprehensive first counter force strike if she felt that a nuclear strike from Pakistan is imminent. Previously the thinking was that India would absorb the first strike before retaliating, however post 2010 period, with sustained economic growth, the stakes have increased so much for India that it cant risk loosing major urban and industrial centers and this reflects in the thought process of higher echelon (folks like Shivshankar Menon, ex NSA: a very fine diplomat with a legacy) that India will not allow Pakistan to go first. However being realistic I feel a lot needs to be done before this thinking can be effectively materialized into a formal doctrine. For instance it would still take India couple of years before "continuous around the year deterrent patrol" can be undertaken. Similarly, a host of ultra long range radars need to be in place (some are already in place) to track the trajectory of each and every missile tested or fired by Pakistan. I am talking about ranges of >800kms. These radars are not swordfish/greenpine, but LRDE's very own- similar to VC 11184 program.
View attachment 548301
What is also very important is around the clock monitoring of Pakistani launch sites, now remote sensing satellites are fine, however they cant replace a proper SAR satellite, it is for this reason that a few SAR satellites in X-band and C_band are required for around the clock monitoring in all weather conditions. At the end comes the kinetic means of taking out adversary's nuclear potential. This has already been alluded to in the form of Brahmos etc.
And how would you take out the subs?
Each sub is capable of firing upto 16 of cruise missiles.

In the end of day i feel sorry for such large and diverse country to be war with Pakistan over a forceful occupation of Kashmir ....most indians havent seen, talked to, relate to or understand kashmiris ...
Doesnt seem worth it..
I never really understood early why until i met indian here and around the world...
Indians are simply extremists...

Any first wave preemptive nuclear strike will be replied too..it will be foolish to think that india will be able to take out all of Pakistan

Even if from some "vodoo" magic indians are able to get away with it say good bye to indian punjab due to radiations and utter pardash..combined they present 30% indian population ...

End result just by unilateral nuking Pakistan will result in more indian deaths due to fall out

Back
Top Bottom