What's new

Fawad Chaudhry launches 'Pakistan's first official' moonsighting website

Fawad Chaudhry launches 'Pakistan's first official' moonsighting website
May 26, 2019

5cea97d43481b.jpg

A screengrab of Moon Sighting Pakistan, the website launched by Fawad Chaudhry on Sunday.

Federal Minister for Science and Technology Fawad Chaudhry on Sunday launched what he termed as Pakistan's "first official" moonsighting website and a calendar showing main Islamic dates and months for the next five years based on scientific evidence.

The website, pakmoonsighting.pk, has been launched by Chaudhry's ministry "to halt the moon sighting controversy" that rears its head in the country every year prior to religious festivals.

Named Moon Sighting Pakistan, the website features sections such as a monthly Hijri (Islamic) calendar for the next five years, a day-to-day lunar calendar against dates from the Gregorian calendar, and the dates on which the first day of every lunar month will fall.

Ch Fawad Hussain

✔@fawadchaudhry

MoonSighting Pakistan launched..... http://www.pakmoonsighting.pk/

6:37 AM - May 26, 2019

Also available are the scientifically determined dates for all major Islamic festivals/days for the ongoing and next years. Readers can access year-wise data about the New Crescent Moon, monthly moon visibility maps and monthly moon coordinates in major cities on the site as well.

Chaudhry had earlier this month announced that the lunar calendar being prepared by a scientific committee formed by the government and showing the exact dates of important Islamic occasions — Ramazan, Eidul Fitr, Eidul Azha, Muharram — would be finalised by the 15th of Ramazan.

He had said that a mobile phone app was also under preparation by the scientific committee after which people would also be able to sight moon on their smartphones.

On May 3, the minister had formed a committee of five experts from the ministry of science and technology, Meteorological Department and the Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (Suparco) to determine moonsighting for key Islamic dates and months scientifically, putting an end to the practice of looking for it physically through telescopes.

The National Assembly was informed recently that an amount of Rs3.06 million was spent last year on the sighting of the crescent for Muharram, Ramazan, Eidul Fitr and Eidul Azha.

Calculations are fine for every month and every holiday besides Ramazan.

Actually, Ruaet e Hilal committee should be empowered, led by Mufti Taqi Usmani, to sight the moon and verify any accounts to determine the beginning of Ramazan in all of Pakistan.

The major step would be to force KPK to follow the Ruaet e Hilal committee, in sha Allah, it can be done.

No your analogy is not correct. It would be if the muazzin would be replaced rather than using a loudspeaker since in this case you are replacing the sighting of the moon. Loudspeakers have been allowed through fatwas since many people complained of it disturbing the peace.

It is correct.... Mufti Mohammad Shafee, the senior teacher in Darul uloom Deoband, published a Fatwa before 1947 declaring the use of loudspeakers as 'Haram'. The reason/rationale behind this verdict as per the Mufti was that since electric power is used by the device, the sound is not 'original', and therefore the use of this device is unlawful as per Shariah.

Thanks to Imam Ghazali (d. 1111), the second most influential Muslim after Muhammad (PBUH), the Muslims had started believing that Science and Islam were mutually incompatible.. Even today, traditionalists and orthodox Muslims follow Ghazali in this regard.

Ghazali had come to the conclusion that : “But to all of them (Philosophies/sciences), despite the multiplicity of their categories, cleaves the stigma of unbelief and godlessness.” (McCarthy,Freedom and Fulfillment 70)

The implications of this skepticism are quite far reaching when looking at the fundamentals of religious teachings in the context of the explosion of scientific knowledge in the modern era .

German orientalist Eduard Sachau rightly blamed the theology of Ash'ari and its biggest defender Ghazali specifically for the decline of Islamic science starting in the tenth century, stating that the two clerics were the only block to the Muslim world becoming a nation of "Galileos, Keplers and Newtons." ........

“… So whoever among you sights (the crescent on the first night of) the month (of Ramadaan), he must observe sawm (fast) that month…” [al-Baqarah 2:185]

Yeah the verse i posted does not mention sighting. Ok.

Yes, the verse does not mention moon (or moonsighting). The Holy Qur'an is a text intended to last till eternity. OTOH, Ahadith (and their interpretations) and Fatwas of the ulema of the past are time and context bound.

hahaah Molvion ke roti pani band honay lagi to aapko Islam yad agaya.
why fawad chaudry is spending money on developing this website, he should save this money and this matter should be decided by public on their own as it is ones own choice to follow his own beliefs and everyone has freedom of this and you cannot impose your faith and thoughts on others when it comes to religion otherwise there is no difference between ttp and govt. Public of Pakistan can run moonsighting department on their own funding if govt not wants to fund it

It is

Yes, the verse does not mention moon (or moonsighting). The Holy Qur'an is a text intended to last till eternity. OTOH, Ahadith (and their interpretations) and Fatwas of the ulema of the past are time and context bound.

I have neither quoted Imam Ghazali nor Shafi. I have given an argument in favour of moon sighting based on fatwas of modern ulema i have read. Please stop assuming sectarian bias when i don’t identify as any sect. My argument was neither short sighted nor devoid of logic (like the example of electricity that you gave) neither is it motivated by this. Brevity is the soul of wit. Let’s not detract here.

The ayah i quoted is about moon sighting. Denying an obvious fact wont change what the ayah is about. What else do you sight for sawm? What does the ayah say?
It is the very same ulema that you quote including Maududi that have written explanations of the Quran and they have maintained this ayah is about moon sighting.

I am glad you keep bring ulema up again and again. Yes fatwas are time bound some of the times. This one has withstood the challenge of a lot of centuries. If it had ti be revised it would have been by now. Also note Ahadith are forever. Their interpretations are a different story.

Last edited:
The ayah i quoted is about moon sighting. Denying an obvious fact wont change what the ayah is about. What else do you sight for sawm? What does the ayah say?

I am not denying any obvious fact. You are insisting that your interpretation of that verse is correct. I have only pointed it out to you the FACT that the verse does not mention moon or moonsighting.

Let me quote the exact words used by Allah almighty in this verse:

فَمَن شَهِدَ مِنكُمُ الشَّهْرَ فَلْيَصُمْهُ وَمَن كَانَ مَرِيضًا أَوْ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ فَعِدَّةٌ مِّنْ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ

You are (mis)translating the Arabic word 'Shahida' as ' the sight (of crescent)'.

Here is how this verse has been translated by different scholars/translators.

And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days. (M. M. Pickthall)

Hence, whoever of you lives to see this month shall fast throughout it; but he that is ill, or on a journey, [shall fast instead for the same] number of other days (Muhammad Asad)

So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. (Yusuf Ali, Saudi revision 1985)

whoever of you is present in the month, he shall fast therein, and whoever is sick or upon a journey, then (he shall fast) a (like) number of other days (Shakir)

Let any of you who is at home during the month, fast in it; while anyone who is ill or on a journey should [set an equal] number of other days (T.B Irving)

Anyone of you who knows that the month of Ramadan has begun, he must start to fast. Those who are sick or on a journey have to fast the same number of days at another time. (Muhammad Sarwar)

So those of you who witness the month must fast in it. But the one who is sick, or is on a journey (should fast) as much from other days (as he missed) (Taqi Usmani)

So, whoever is at home during this month should participate in the program. Whoever of you is sick or on a journey, let him do Abstinence later. (Shabbir Ahmed)

whoso of you finds this month, necessarily, he should fast in it, and whoso is ill or on a journey then same number of fasting in other days (Ahmed Raza Khan Barelvi)

So let those of you, who are present at the month, fast it; and if any of you be sick, or if he be on a journey, then a number of other days; (Arthur John Arberry)

Hope this helps clear your confusion.

I have neither quoted Imam Ghazali nor Shafi. I have given an argument in favour of moon sighting based on fatwas of modern ulema i have read. Please stop assuming sectarian bias when i don’t identify as any sect. My argument was neither short sighted nor devoid of logic (like the example of electricity that you gave) neither is it motivated by this. Brevity is the soul of wit. Let’s not detract here.

You have edited your post and added this. I am not assuming anything. And please read again what I wrote about Ghazali. I didn't say you quoted him .... The ulema and ordinary Muslims were greatly influenced by Ghazali who equated Science with unbelief and godlessness... Even today, Orthodox and traditionalist Muslims continue to believe that Science is incompatible with Islam and they continue to prefer Muftis over Scientists.

.... Maududi that have written explanations of the Quran and they have maintained this ayah is about moon sighting.

Quote his exact words/works
As per the one available online, Maududi hasn't stated that this ayah was about moonsighting.

Last edited:
According to you we shouldn't rely on technology over human eyesight. Well then remove the telescopes, remove the speaker phones from the masjid because they were considered Haram by our great ulama. Remove precision salah time clocks from masjid and go back to relying on the sun. I'm extremely religious but unlike you brother, I'm not narrow-minded

According to you we shouldn't rely on technology over human eyesight. Well then remove the telescopes, remove the speaker phones from the masjid because they were considered Haram by our great ulama. Remove precision salah time clocks from masjid and go back to relying on the sun. I'm extremely religious but unlike you brother, I'm not narrow-minded

Brother if that is addressed to me , i have never said we shouldn’t use technology. Relying on it solely defeats the purpose in the sense that Sunnah is violated. Make of it what you will.

I am not denying any obvious fact. You are insisting that your interpretation of that verse is correct. I have only pointed it out to you the FACT that the verse does not mention moon or moonsighting.

Let me quote the exact words used by Allah almighty in this verse:

فَمَن شَهِدَ مِنكُمُ الشَّهْرَ فَلْيَصُمْهُ وَمَن كَانَ مَرِيضًا أَوْ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ فَعِدَّةٌ مِّنْ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ

You are (mis)translating the Arabic word 'Shahida' as ' the sight (of crescent)'.

Here is how this verse has been translated by different scholars/translators.

And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days. (M. M. Pickthall)

Hence, whoever of you lives to see this month shall fast throughout it; but he that is ill, or on a journey, [shall fast instead for the same] number of other days (Muhammad Asad)

So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (Should be made up) by days later. (Yusuf Ali, Saudi revision 1985)

whoever of you is present in the month, he shall fast therein, and whoever is sick or upon a journey, then (he shall fast) a (like) number of other days (Shakir)

Let any of you who is at home during the month, fast in it; while anyone who is ill or on a journey should [set an equal] number of other days (T.B Irving)

Anyone of you who knows that the month of Ramadan has begun, he must start to fast. Those who are sick or on a journey have to fast the same number of days at another time. (Muhammad Sarwar)

So those of you who witness the month must fast in it. But the one who is sick, or is on a journey (should fast) as much from other days (as he missed) (Taqi Usmani)

So, whoever is at home during this month should participate in the program. Whoever of you is sick or on a journey, let him do Abstinence later. (Shabbir Ahmed)

whoso of you finds this month, necessarily, he should fast in it, and whoso is ill or on a journey then same number of fasting in other days (Ahmed Raza Khan Barelvi)

So let those of you, who are present at the month, fast it; and if any of you be sick, or if he be on a journey, then a number of other days; (Arthur John Arberry)

Hope this helps clear your confusion.

You have edited your post and added this. I am not assuming anything. And please read again what I wrote about Ghazali. I didn't say you quoted him .... The ulema and ordinary Muslims were greatly influenced by Ghazali who equated Science with unbelief and godlessness... Even today, Orthodox and traditionalist Muslims continue to believe that Science is incompatible with Islam and they continue to prefer Muftis over Scientists.

Quote his exact words/works
As per the one available online, Maududi hasn't stated that this ayah was about moonsighting.

As i have maintained multiple times , this is not my interpretation. This in tandem with the Hadeeth i quoted (which you have disregarded) reinforces the fact that physical moon sighting is central to Ramzan at the very least. As i said brevity is the soul of wit so i wont reply to everything you post. But i will post Maududi’s interpretation which is missing from the link you posted.
Also note shahada means “bearing witness” . How can you bear witness to a month then?
Till i find Maududis interpretation, this should suffice

https://quran.com/2/183-185

Sahih International Translation of the same verse.

Taqi Usmani’s Version

“..So those of you who witness the month must fast in it. But the one who is sick, or is on a journey (should fast) as much from other days (as he missed)..”

Moreover, you pointed out Imam Ghazali’s statement to make it look like my argument is archaic and luddite-like. I am not influenced by Imam Ghazali if you must know. My standing on science is very different than what he might have thought. I am one the fiercest defenders of science and regularly tell my brethren in KP when the moon sighting controversy comes every year. I explain all the relevant moon phases and it’s life which is very important for seeing the moon.

What you have written down makes it seem that you have misunderstood or chose to misunderstand my stance on science and Islam. What you quoted favours the shunning of science, which is not remotely what i am saying.

Last edited:
No brother. I'm sorry. It wasn't meant for you. I forgot to tag the comment in my reply
Brother if that is addressed to me , i have never said we shouldn’t use technology. Relying on it solely defeats the purpose in the sense that Sunnah is violated. Make of it what you will.

As i have maintained multiple times , this is not my interpretation. This in tandem with the Hadeeth i quoted (which you have disregarded) reinforces the fact that physical moon sighting is central to Ramzan at the very least. As i said brevity is the soul of wit so i wont reply to everything you post. But i will post Maududi’s interpretation which is missing from the link you posted.
Also note shahada means “bearing witness” . How can you bear witness to a month then?

My friend, You, of course, are free to follow whatever interpretation you want. But we should not pass our opinions/interpretations (or even Hadith) off as the words of the Holy Qur'an.

As for Shahada/bearing witness, we as Muslims bear witness/Shahada that there is no god but Allah and Muhammad (PBUH) is his messenger without involving our faculty of sight (or any other faculty for that matter)

Till i find Maududis interpretation, this should suffice

https://quran.com/2/183-185

Sahih International Translation of the same verse.

Taqi Usmani’s Version

“..So those of you who witness the month must fast in it. But the one who is sick, or is on a journey (should fast) as much from other days (as he missed)..”

No, it does not. It still remains the personal opinion/interpretation of Maududi or Umm Muhammad (the former American baptist preacher who converted to Islam in 1977; the woman behind "Sahih International" translation) .... not the 'words of Allah almighty'

Last edited:
My friend, You, of course, are free to follow whatever interpretation you want. But we should not pass our opinions/interpretations (or even Hadith) off as the words of the Holy Qur'an.

As for Shahada/bearing witness, we as Muslims bear witness/Shahada that there is no god but Allah and Muhammad (PBUH) is his messenger without involving our faculty of sight (or any other faculty for that matter)

As is everyone. Everyone is entitled to follow their interpretations. It is even better when we arrive at our own conclusions. I am all for this. We should explore this ourselves, with help from the texts of learned people of course.

No, it does not. It still remains the personal opinion/interpretation of Maududi or Umm Muhammad (the former American baptist preacher who converted to Islam in 1977; the woman behind "Sahih International" translation) .... not the 'words of Allah almighty'

Well I cannot comment on this since it IS their interpretation. I couldn’t come up with my own since I don’t know Arabic(a prerequisite for interpreting the Quran imho). What you have quoted are also interpretations of other people. As for the words of Allah Almighty, we are dependent on interpretations of learned people till we can interpret it ourselves. Otherwise how will get The Message Allah has sent for all of us.

Also being a convertee is not something to hold against her. On many occasions, convertees have proven better than us birthright Muslims.

I apologise as well for any perceived sense of self-righteousness on my part. It was never my intention.

As a footnote , the guy who proposed the Lunar calendar has sent the matter to the CII.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1485101/cii-consults-religious-scholars-over-moonsighting-controversy

Last edited:
Well I cannot comment on this since it IS their interpretation. I couldn’t come up with my own since I don’t know Arabic(a prerequisite for interpreting the Quran imho). What you have quoted are also interpretations of other people.

No, it's not interpretation of those people, it's plain and simple translation. The verse does not mention moon or moonsighting.

And please do quote Maududi's interpretation that this verse is about moonsighting.

No, it's not interpretation of those people, it's plain and simple translation. The verse does not mention moon or moonsighting.

And please do quote Maududi's interpretation that this verse is about moonsighting.

I quoted Mufti Taqi Usmani’s version of translation. Why wasn’t that acceptable? The verse in tandem with the Hadith I quoted (i repeated this God knows how many times). Also note translations are interpretations because Arabic is not straight forward in translation.

I will find Maududis version but you will also reject that as his interpretation. Since you have already rejected interpretations of scholars that don’t agree with your views, i wont waste anymore time down this rabbit hole.

Back
Top Bottom