What's new

For the first time the British government has issued guidance on the date of Eid, and has concluded that it cannot be before next Saturday

Al_Muhannad

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Source: https://5pillarsuk.com/2023/04/12/british-government-says-eid-cannot-be-before-saturday-april-22/

For the first time the British government has issued guidance on the date of Eid, and has concluded that it cannot be before next Saturday.

Its guidance states that for new moon sighters in the Middle East, North Africa and the United Kingdom, easy sightings of the crescent moon should be possible with the naked eye on Friday April 21st, Saturday April 22nd, and Sunday April 23rd.

According to the government, the actual arrival of the new Moon takes place on Thursday but sightings with telescopes will only be possible from north-eastern Canada and northern parts of South America.

Naked-eye sightings under excellent conditions on the same day will be possible from the northern Caribbean region, Central America and southern and western parts of North America. Easy sightings will also be possible from northern Polynesia, including the Hawaiian Islands.

But on Friday April 21st the overwhelming majority of the globe should be able to make easy sightings of the crescent moon with one or two very small exceptions in the southern hemisphere.

Naked-eye sightings are likely almost globally on Friday April 21st, Saturday April 22nd and Sunday April 23rd.

Here is the government’s detailed breakdown of the arrival of the new moon:

Thursday April 20th, 2023

A telescopic sighting of the crescent moon with small, conventional amateur-sized telescopes is possible from the central Atlantic Ocean region including the Azores, north-easternmost parts of Canada and northern parts of South America.

Optical aids may be needed to find the crescent moon from the southern Caribbean region, north-eastern parts of North America, north western parts of South America and southern Polynesia.

Naked-eye sightings under excellent conditions are possible from the northern Caribbean region, Central America and southern and western parts of North America. Easy sightings are possible from northern Polynesia including the Hawaiian Islands and some of the Aleutian Islands.

Friday April 21st, 2023

A telescopic sighting of the crescent moon with small, conventional amateur-sized telescopes will be possible from northern New Zealand and south-easternmost parts of Australia.

Optical aids may be needed to find the crescent moon from south-eastern Australia and southernmost parts of South America.

Naked-eye sightings under excellent conditions are possible from central parts of Australia and southernmost parts of South America.

The rest of the world should be able to make easy sightings of the crescent moon. Easy sightings with the naked eye should be possible from the Middle East, North Africa and the United Kingdom in particular.

Saturday April 22nd, 2023

The crescent moon should be easily visible on a global basis with the possible exception of Antarctica. Easy sightings with the naked eye should be possible from the Middle East, North Africa and the United Kingdom in particular.

Moon sighting controversy

The controversy over the date of Eid is related to the fact that the Islamic calendar is based on the lunar cycle, which is about 29.5 days long. This means that each month in the Islamic calendar begins with the sighting of a new crescent moon.

The problem arises because different regions and countries rely on different methods for determining the start of the lunar month. Some rely on actual sightings of the crescent moon, while others use astronomical calculations or rely on official announcements from religious authorities.

This can lead to differences in the date of Eid between different regions and countries, sometimes by as much as a day or two. Additionally, there are some differences of opinion among Islamic scholars about the proper way to determine the start of the lunar month, which can also contribute to the controversy over the date of Eid.

@313ghazi , what's this all about. I saw memes by brit Pakistanis a while ago on this issue. Is it a moonsighting issue in britain?

As long as the Moon is Sighted the Eid will come... its simple as that..

Source: https://5pillarsuk.com/2023/04/12/british-government-says-eid-cannot-be-before-saturday-april-22/

For the first time the British government has issued guidance on the date of Eid, and has concluded that it cannot be before next Saturday.

Its guidance states that for new moon sighters in the Middle East, North Africa and the United Kingdom, easy sightings of the crescent moon should be possible with the naked eye on Friday April 21st, Saturday April 22nd, and Sunday April 23rd.

According to the government, the actual arrival of the new Moon takes place on Thursday but sightings with telescopes will only be possible from north-eastern Canada and northern parts of South America.

Naked-eye sightings under excellent conditions on the same day will be possible from the northern Caribbean region, Central America and southern and western parts of North America. Easy sightings will also be possible from northern Polynesia, including the Hawaiian Islands.

But on Friday April 21st the overwhelming majority of the globe should be able to make easy sightings of the crescent moon with one or two very small exceptions in the southern hemisphere.

Naked-eye sightings are likely almost globally on Friday April 21st, Saturday April 22nd and Sunday April 23rd.

Here is the government’s detailed breakdown of the arrival of the new moon:

Thursday April 20th, 2023

A telescopic sighting of the crescent moon with small, conventional amateur-sized telescopes is possible from the central Atlantic Ocean region including the Azores, north-easternmost parts of Canada and northern parts of South America.

Optical aids may be needed to find the crescent moon from the southern Caribbean region, north-eastern parts of North America, north western parts of South America and southern Polynesia.

Naked-eye sightings under excellent conditions are possible from the northern Caribbean region, Central America and southern and western parts of North America. Easy sightings are possible from northern Polynesia including the Hawaiian Islands and some of the Aleutian Islands.

Friday April 21st, 2023

A telescopic sighting of the crescent moon with small, conventional amateur-sized telescopes will be possible from northern New Zealand and south-easternmost parts of Australia.

Optical aids may be needed to find the crescent moon from south-eastern Australia and southernmost parts of South America.

Naked-eye sightings under excellent conditions are possible from central parts of Australia and southernmost parts of South America.

The rest of the world should be able to make easy sightings of the crescent moon. Easy sightings with the naked eye should be possible from the Middle East, North Africa and the United Kingdom in particular.

Saturday April 22nd, 2023

The crescent moon should be easily visible on a global basis with the possible exception of Antarctica. Easy sightings with the naked eye should be possible from the Middle East, North Africa and the United Kingdom in particular.

Moon sighting controversy

The controversy over the date of Eid is related to the fact that the Islamic calendar is based on the lunar cycle, which is about 29.5 days long. This means that each month in the Islamic calendar begins with the sighting of a new crescent moon.

The problem arises because different regions and countries rely on different methods for determining the start of the lunar month. Some rely on actual sightings of the crescent moon, while others use astronomical calculations or rely on official announcements from religious authorities.

This can lead to differences in the date of Eid between different regions and countries, sometimes by as much as a day or two. Additionally, there are some differences of opinion among Islamic scholars about the proper way to determine the start of the lunar month, which can also contribute to the controversy over the date of Eid.

Excellent - lets bring in and use some science in this process.

what the hell gov have to do with eid ?

Maybe the UK wants to move towards allowing muslims ( and other religious festivals like Diwali ) to be able have a religious holiday that people can take that does not go off their personal vacation allowance but is free holiday from the goverment like christmas/easter for christians and therefore wants to have a process in place that allow's employers make some sense of the bullshit process we have now where two neighbouring mosque's that are less than 1 mile apart, can and will say Eid is on different damn days ( and i have seen this to many times !!! ) ?

Maybe the UK wants to move towards allowing muslims ( and other religious festivals like Diwali ) to be able have a religious holiday that people can take that does not go off their personal vacation allowance but is free from goverment like christmas for christians and therefore wants to have a process in place that allow's employers make some sense of the bullshit process where tow neighbouring mosque's can and will say Eid is on different damn days(and i have seen this to many times !!! ) ?

I see this as a good thing.
yes if they announce vacation then its ok .

@313ghazi , what's this all about. I saw memes by brit Pakistanis a while ago on this issue. Is it a moonsighting issue in britain?

We have no official religious figurehead or authority in the UK. The govt is secular therefore does not dictate on religious matters. What has happened over the years is that we have developed some plurality around the issue of moonsighting.

Traditionally as you know an Islamic month ends on 30 days, or the 29th day if the moon is sighted - historically this has always been done by telescopes. Since Sallelites came about we are able to tell exactly when the new moon begins using technology.

The question then arises - do you continue to sight the moon physically or do you rely on the scientific data? That is one arguement.

Another arguement is that in modern times, we can communicate information across the globe in a matter of seconds. It used to be the case in the past that different communities could have had eid on different days based on their ability to communicate moonsightings. Today we can communicate within seconds - so should we celebrate Eid based on a global moon sighting or a local one?

This gets even messier, in the UK we often have cloud, so it is not possible to sight the moon, however you could sight it in the South of France or North Morocco for example. There is an opinion that this distance should be considered "local" to us. Then this is extended to people in the same time zone, so some UK masjids have accepted moon sightings in South Africa (which we share a timezone with) but not with Saudi Arabia, who are several hours ahead of us.

To complicate matters further, there is scientific data available on whether it should be possible to sight the moon or not. There have been arguements on the validity of sightings based on the possibility of seeing the moon.

This is why we have moonsighting wars, this stupid kitchri of ego.

For some reason the British govt has kindly provided guidance on whether it should be possible to sight the moon or not. I suspect it's probably because they want to limit the potential economic impact of Muslims taking off Eid on short notice. I've always booked off both days just in case, but people who are self employed can just stop when they like.

@Imran Khan read this please to understand UK govt position.

We have no official religious figurehead or authority in the UK. The govt is secular therefore does not dictate on religious matters. What has happened over the years is that we have developed some plurality around the issue of moonsighting.

Traditionally as you know an Islamic month ends on 30 days, or the 29th day if the moon is sighted - historically this has always been done by telescopes. Since Sallelites came about we are able to tell exactly when the new moon begins using technology.

The question then arises - do you continue to sight the moon physically or do you rely on the scientific data? That is one arguement.

Another arguement is that in modern times, we can communicate information across the globe in a matter of seconds. It used to be the case in the past that different communities could have had eid on different days based on their ability to communicate moonsightings. Today we can communicate within seconds - so should we celebrate Eid based on a global moon sighting or a local one?

This gets even messier, in the UK we often have cloud, so it is not possible to sight the moon, however you could sight it in the South of France or North Morocco for example. There is an opinion that this distance should be considered "local" to us. Then this is extended to people in the same time zone, so some UK masjids have accepted moon sightings in South Africa (which we share a timezone with) but not with Saudi Arabia, who are several hours ahead of us.

To complicate matters further, there is scientific data available on whether it should be possible to sight the moon or not. There have been arguements on the validity of sightings based on the possibility of seeing the moon.

This is why we have moonsighting wars, this stupid kitchri of ego.

For some reason the British govt has kindly provided guidance on whether it should be possible to sight the moon or not. I suspect it's probably because they want to limit the potential economic impact of Muslims taking off Eid on short notice. I've always booked off both days just in case, but people who are self employed can just stop when they like.

@Imran Khan read this please to understand UK govt position.
Thank you, sir. Well explained.

Maybe the UK wants to move towards allowing muslims ( and other religious festivals like Diwali ) to be able have a religious holiday that people can take that does not go off their personal vacation allowance but is free holiday from the goverment like christmas/easter for christians and therefore wants to have a process in place that allow's employers make some sense of the bullshit process we have now where two neighbouring mosque's that are less than 1 mile apart, can and will say Eid is on different damn days ( and i have seen this to many times !!! ) ?
@Imran Khan , sir basically UK Muslims also have Popalzai vs Mufti Muneeb wars over there and the govt's trying to step in

Pakistan will do it a day after the rest of the world like always & will keep rozaa on eid day which btw is forbidden & a sin .

Pakistani mosques in U.K. use this for monopoly of the charity money so as worshippers can exclusively fund them .

Simple formula we follow here Basically if pakistan says it’s eid on Monday
Sunday is eid

ho muslim or unite ho ye kabhi nhi ho sakta chahy wo antarctic main hi kiyoo na bethy hoon
I saw this PERFECT video of two molvis fighting over Eid moon. One of them sights the moon, the other one doesn't agree and he sends the moon back with his finger :lol:
The first one summons the moon back up with his finger and they go back and forth.
It really captures the whole thing.

I've tried to find that video for two consecutive Eid-ul-Fitr now. Everytime eid comes I search for it but I can't find it. I wish I could show you.

Thank you, sir. Well explained.

@Imran Khan , sir basically UK Muslims also have Popalzai vs Mufti Muneeb wars over there and the govt's trying to step in

The irony is the people responsible for making these annoucements can't spell satellite, let alone understand what one does - and the most complicated data they look at is the receipts for their businesses whilst trying to hoodwink the tax man.

Last edited:
I saw this PERFECT video of two molvis fighting over Eid moon. One of them sights the moon, the other one doesn't agree and he sends the moon back with his finger :lol:
The first one summons to moon back with his finger and they go back and forth.

I've tried to find that video for two consecutive Eid-ul-Fitr now. Everytime eid comes I search for it but I can't find it. I wish I could show you.
they are the one make fun of a perfect religion

The first one summons to moon back with his finger and they go back and forth.

they are the one make fun of a perfect religion

Back
Top Bottom