What's new

FATA Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are other ways to help facilitate the affected people by giving them proper food and shelter while they are being forced to leave their homes by the people like Mehsud and his ilks and operation should continue. This way people will gain nothing out of it while militants will gain time to regroup.

the ops have been suspended under these various guize's by the GoP but the real reason is to ensure that the 22 FATA MNA's vote for AZ in the presidential vote!

quote"The tribal MNAs and Senators have said that they would like the military activity stopped in Bajaur as a precondition for casting their votes for the PPP candidate. In short, the presidential contest has become a negotiable item in the path of security operations. The JUI-F, which has more than 30 Electoral College votes, has categorically asked for a halt to all military operations."un-quote

Khalid Aziz - former secty NWFP.

the ops have been suspended under these various guize's by the GoP but the real reason is to ensure that the 22 FATA MNA's vote for AZ in the presidential vote!

I couldnt agree more. Self interests have once again started to prevail at the cost of Pakistan.:tsk:

quote"The tribal MNAs and Senators have said that they would like the military activity stopped in Bajaur as a precondition for casting their votes for the PPP candidate. In short, the presidential contest has become a negotiable item in the path of security operations. The JUI-F, which has more than 30 Electoral College votes, has categorically asked for a halt to all military operations."un-quote

Khalid Aziz - former secty NWFP.

Dear fatman17 sir,
I guss , this is a political gmmick! which was put by PPP to secure the votes for ASIF ZARDARI. on the expense of innocent lives, all these FATA MNAs are afraid of backlash from militants that is the very reason why they were demanding the cease fire and the haltness in opreation against the militants.

I think in the comming days USAs adminstration would be realizing what they had lost in face of MUSHARAF?:lol::tsk:

I think that the USA wil sooner or later see that manipulating Pakistani politics makes it worser then it was. They surely will remember the good old days without the corrupt incapable political non elected yet democratic leaders. But then again. The USA wanted it. The people of Pakistan wanted it. So let them have it for 5 years. I do not see any reason to change mind about it...

I think that the USA wil sooner or later see that manipulating Pakistani politics makes it worser then it was. They surely will remember the good old days without the corrupt incapable political non elected yet democratic leaders. But then again. The USA wanted it. The people of Pakistan wanted it. So let them have it for 5 years. I do not see any reason to change mind about it...

Dear munir, sir
i would like to agree with your true point of veiw, i want to have a conversation with you, plz let me know, about it how can i do that?

what do you think about WOT, should be rethink ?
i mean, the startgy and its planing, and also the back lashes & impact on pakistani nation.
thanks

Dear munir, sir
i would like to agree with your true point of veiw, i want to have a conversation with you, plz let me know, about it how can i do that?

what do you think about WOT, should be rethink ?
i mean, the startgy and its planing, and also the back lashes & impact on pakistani nation.
thanks

We can have it here. WOT is a failed war for he strongest party. The start is that western world exploited other parts of the world. Either by WTO, Worldbank, European community or big time in the past. We have seen the historical events like colonialisation, looting of property, apartheid... This WOT is just the result of the past. Some people are using their faith or mad ideas to fight western world. Whether 911 is true or no we will never know. But the way western world wants to dictate terms on people with only hate in their mind will not lead to anyones victory. I totally do not agree with people that attack western world or degrade their own people to less then anything valuable (suicide bombers, killing of females just cause they do not obey pathetic local laws, following mad men that have less education then average in the west etc etc) but at the same time I think the west should stop abusing powers. In a world of discrimination there wil be wars. Economical and military humiliation does not mean you are correct or will win God on your side...

This is too sensitive a topic. We got Pakistanis on Pakistani soil on both sides of the conflict. Why did we end up in this state?

We can have it here. WOT is a failed war for he strongest party. The start is that western world exploited other parts of the world. Either by WTO, Worldbank, European community or big time in the past. We have seen the historical events like colonialisation, looting of property, apartheid... This WOT is just the result of the past. Some people are using their faith or mad ideas to fight western world. Whether 911 is true or no we will never know. But the way western world wants to dictate terms on people with only hate in their mind will not lead to anyones victory. I totally do not agree with people that attack western world or degrade their own people to less then anything valuable (suicide bombers, killing of females just cause they do not obey pathetic local laws, following mad men that have less education then average in the west etc etc) but at the same time I think the west should stop abusing powers. In a world of discrimination there wil be wars. Economical and military humiliation does not mean you are correct or will win God on your side...

Dear Munir,
The damage has been done already world has been polarized. It is much worse than we even think.
Situation may be better in UK or other immigrant countries like US, Canada etc. but in greater Europe there is great deal of racism only towards Muslims and this divide is on rise exponentially since the advent of hords of indians, thanks to 9/11.
IMO, Musharraf was the last hope which could have possibly close this gap but it is much easy to make two fight instead of bringing them close.
You seems to have much clear view of the emerging picture of world.
WTO, all subsidiaries of UN, world bank and IMF etc. they are all running business. Now imagine WTO, it is new form of grouped slavery for a group of certain people. You have to open your borders for mutual trade and what is mutual trade?
What poor countries have to give is crops or cheap services! In both cases west is winner because they control all financial world and they decide about the value of their currencies!
Cultivator will only sell his crop to the highest bidder and western people can always top the bid.
What is happening is that life is getting cheaper in rich countries and is getting expensive in underdeveloped poor countries.
Now as you very rightly pointed out that today’s WoT have its roots in the vision failure of previous world leaders. When Afghan war ended, it was duty of US and UN to support refugees and Pakistan but they left Pakistan to share the burden all alone for no fault of its own. As a compensation IMF and world bank were very open in offering loans in pretext of aid but they never exempted us from interests, which compounded at the end and in late 90’s situation became so grave that we even failed to service our debts. Imagine now a country who was doing the job of UN by supporting refuges from a war torn country was annihilated economically by very same UN by passing on loans with towering markups and charging compound markups on defaulted markups but continued to pass new loans, until they are in position to dictate the prices of essential commodities and increasing taxes leading to more inflation.
I totally agree with you on the point that forces like US and NATO should stop bullying politically and militarily weak countries. If we are allies than loss of our soldiers should be valued similarly as those of NATO and humans from Afghanistan and FATA should not be killed by indiscriminate bombings based on flawed intelligence and one sided decision specially when they have no knowledge of local social norms and the fall out of their actions.

This is too sensitive a topic. We got Pakistanis on Pakistani soil on both sides of the conflict. Why did we end up in this state?

We cannot help it why we were born in Pakistan. There are many other reason to regret for being born in Pakistan rather than the the divide on opinion on WoT.
Now is time to show the usual resilience which we showed to change the regime and now regime is ours than who is stopping us now to implement plans according to our wishes.
What exactly is that we want and how exactly can we be happy.

Lashkar captures Taliban stronghold in Kurram

PARACHINAR: A tribal lashkar formed to end militancy in Kurram Agency on Monday re-took Char Dewal and Jalmai villages, strongholds of the Taliban, while six militants among nine were killed and 26 injured in fresh clashes. Meanwhile, the local tribesmen have intensified their peace efforts and plugged all entry points to stop entry of the militants into the Kurram Agency. app

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Dear BATMAN:
We sure cannot change our skin, we are proud of our country and no intention to change our identity at the flick of a switch.
On Oct 05, 2005 following the devastating earthquake the nation showed its resilience and resourcefulness. It was proven beyond doubt that we are Alive; we cannot be committed to the dustbin of history just yet! It took the Army and Government agencies more than a week to mobilize; but the common people mobilized for action within hours of the calamity. We still got the spark!
Musharraf government opted for full-scale participation in the American War against Terror; unwittingly we ended up being the “Frontline” state. Pakistanis sustained the second highest levels of casualties and destruction; the Army, the “bad guys” and common people.
We were saddled with the unsustainable direct and consequential costs of an endless war; and paid a paltry US$ 1.2 b / year as reimbursables; which is perhaps 10-15% of the true costs. The economy was somehow “managed” through deft manipulation of numbers; but in the end the bottom just fell out.
There is no military solution, that’s a graveyard spiral. The only viable course of action for us is National reconciliation.

There is no military solution, that’s a graveyard spiral. The only viable course of action for us is National reconciliation.

The kind of reconciliation we just witnessed a few months back, bringing thugs back into the government so that all the looting could resume once again after the gap of eight years.I think we are better off without it.
Firstly i greatly disagree with your perceive fact that there are Pakistanis on both sides, no they are not. Just by calling one self Pakistani doesn't make you one. There are things that one has to follow, the respect for rule, consitution of Pakistan and the one that does not respect it has no right to be called a Pakistani.
So let me ask you will you call mehsud a Pakistani who actually is responsible for the deaths of thousands of Pakistanis or will you call it unjust if hes taken out in a military strike or perhaps should we have a reconciliation with people like him?
These are the kind of questions i think every Pakistani needs to answer, because the time has come where we need to stop living in the fantasy world of ours and take the world the way it is and deal with these threats rather then assuming that none actually exists.

China demands Pakistan rescue kidnapped engineers-China-World-The Times of India

China demands Pakistan rescue kidnapped engineers
2 Sep 2008, 1757 hrs IST,PTI

BEIJING/ISLAMABAD: As Pakistani Taliban on Tuesday claimed they were holding two Chinese telecoms engineers as prisoners and would soon issue a list of demands, Beijing has urged Pakistan to rescue the hostages and ensure their security.

"We have demanded Pakistan go all out to rescue the two missing engineers and ensure their safety," Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Jiang Yu was quoted by Xinhua news agency.

The engineers, employee's of Zhongxing Telecommunication Equipment Company (ZTE) went missing on Friday along with their local driver and security guard four days ago in Dir near the Afghan border where they were repairing a communication tower.

Four days after their disappearance, the Pakistani Taliban claimed that they were holding two Chinese telecoms engineers as prisoners and said they would soon issue a list of demands.

Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan spokesman Muslim Khan told reporters on phone that their armed cadres were holding the two Chinese men, along with their guard and driver.

"The Taliban's 'Shura' or council will decide the fate of the Chinese engineers," Khan said. He, however, did not give any date for a meeting of the council.

In Beijing, Jiang said, the Chinese government attached great importance to the incident and took note of various security agencies launching a man hunt to rescue them. Islamic militants have targetted Chinese workers in Pakistan as Beijing is one of Islamabad's closest allies as well as its largest arms supplier.

In 2004, Islamic militants kidnapped two Chinese engineers working on a multi-million dollar hydro-electric dam project in South Waziristan tribal area also in NWFP. One of the hostages died in botched rescue bid.

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 09/01/2008 | Al Qaida has free movement in Pakistan, top official concedes

Al Qaida has free movement in Pakistan, top official concedes

By Saeed Shah | McClatchy Newspapers
ISLAMABAD — Pakistan's top security official Monday admitted that al Qaida's leadership moved freely in and out of the country and vowed that "no mercy" would be shown to extremists based in its tribal territory that borders Afghanistan.

In the past, Pakistan has been heavily criticized for rejecting evidence that al Qaida was largely based in the country and for denying that the tribal territory was used as a safe haven for Afghan insurgents.

Rehman Malik, the interior ministry chief, revealed that al Qaida deputy leader Ayman al Zawahiri and his wife had been in Mohmand, part of the tribal area. Most of time, Malik said Zawahiri was mainly in Afghanistan's Kunar and Paktia provinces.

"We certainly had traced him (Zawahiri) at one place, but we missed the chance. So he's moving in Mohmand and, of course, sometimes in Kunar, mostly in Kunar and Paktia," Malik told reporters in Islamabad.

Malik, a politician who was put in charge of the interior ministry after his Pakistan People's Party emerged as the largest group in a coalition government that formed after elections in February, gave no further details on Zawahiri's movements. In the past, Islamabad has refuted suggestions that Zawahiri and al Qaida leader Osama bin Laden were hiding in Pakistan.

Kamran Bokhari, director of Middle East analysis at Strategic Forecasting, a private U.S. intelligence firm, said: "For the longest time, there's been denial within the Pakistani leadership. They were under no pressure to say there was al Qaida (in Pakistan). Now, with the events of the last 17-18 months, the Pakistanis have had a sort of rude awakening."

Extremist groups in Pakistan launched a vicious campaign of suicide bombings last year, aimed at both military and civilian targets. The attacks are thought to be directed by al Qaida.

But Malik called for more action from other countries too. He said that the al Qaida "syndicate" was allowed to operate across the region, from Iraq to the Philippines, and "free passage was given to them" to come to Pakistan. "We need a regional dialogue," he added.

In another break from Pakistan's recent approach, the interior ministry chief said that Islamabad planned to use the tribes in its border area to fight the extremists, indicating that a 15,000-strong militia of volunteers would be assembled.

The move would ape the success of the U.S. approach in Anbar province in Iraq, where Sunni tribes were armed and paid to fight al Qaida in Iraq and other Sunni extremists.

Malik said that in Bajaur, part of Pakistan's tribal territory, the Salarzai tribe had raised its own force, known as a "lashkar." Moderate tribesmen are wary of resisting the extremists because of a lack of backup from the Pakistan state. "They (tribes) were left high and dry before, it's true," Malik conceded.

Pakistani authorities previously sought to draw a sharp distinction between homegrown militants and al Qaida, which is led by Arabs. But the interior ministry official declared that al Qaida had morphed into Pakistan's Taliban movement, known as Tehreek-e-Taliban, which is a copy of Afghanistan's Taliban guerrillas.

"There's no doubt in my mind that the Tehreek-e-Taliban and al Qaida are the same thing," Malik said. "They have not only connections, I would say Tehreek-e-Taliban is an extension of al Qaida. The mouthpiece is now Tehreek-e-Taliban."

He also conceded that the fighters "operate on both sides" of the border. Malik's remarks came amid signs that Washington is more comfortable with Islamabad's role in the anti-terror fight, after years of accusing Pakistan of not doing enough and being too ready to enter into peace negotiations with the militants.

"We either hand over Pakistan to these Taliban or we fight back," Malik said. "I can assure you that they (the militants) are on the run. Either they can surrender or die."

It is not just rhetoric this time, analysts said. In recent weeks, Pakistan has launched military offensives in two parts of the tribal territory, Khyber and Bajaur, and in the neighboring area of Swat. Over the weekend, Malik announced a cease-fire in Bajaur, to mark Ramadan, the month of fasting for Muslims. On Monday, responding to criticism that this would give the extremists breathing space, he stressed that the truce would last only a month and the security forces would crack down on any militant activity during that period.

Washington will be relieved that no peace deal was signed with the cease-fire, and Malik said none was planned.

"This time, I think they (the Pakistani authorities) are serious," said Sayed "GB" Bokhari, an analyst based in Peshawar. "In the past, they didn't complete the job ever because politics intervened and peace accords were signed."

(Shah is McClatchy's special correspondent in Pakistan.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom