What's new

Fall of Dhaka: Memories of a bloody December

[QUOTE="Sharpshooter12, post: 8013817, member: 169001

If you have time, please explain how do think it would have worked had Mujib was transferred the power and he had implemented his six points. I think that would have ended the federation of Pakistan, and would have created a loose confederation among the two wings. What are your thoughts, were those points feasible?

/QUOTE]

@ Theoretically, you are right, it was not possible but why you are thinking in that line ? If you had handed over power in time then it would had solved in a year. Actually, you have to realize who made or wrote this 6 points ? It was RAW and CIA ! To understand these complected political quiz please follow the following my writings:

a. Pakistan was moving very fast under the leadership of Ayub Khan. Pakistan's economy was at a peak. Among the 3rd world countries in the South East and Far East, it was only Pakistan and South Korea (General Park) were the emerging tigers. The European countries used to visit Pakista both East & West Pakistan for such rapid development. Pakistan's economy was a "Numona" in 3rd World Countries.

b. Pakistan was the member of CENTO & SEATO. Pakistan had a defence Pact with USA and Australia. So, Pakistan used to get lot of defence armament from these countries. Soon, Pakistan Defence became a formidable fighting force.Jute was the key source of foreign exchange earning money as jute and jute materials were widely used in military purpose.So, the greedy Mujib some how realized that if some how this power of Foreign Exchange is kept at the hand of Provinces so "Kella Fate".The economy of East Pakistan was also very good shape.On the other hand India was in no match with Pakistan She was following Non-Alignment Movement as she was the founding member of this Movement. India under the leadership of Nehru pleaded "China - Hindu Bhai Bhai" hence gave less priority on Defence. Meanwhile, suddenly China attacked and captured a vast land towards North and North East . India asked help from USA., USA instructed Pakistan to attack India, Pakistan refused. Finally, USA, gave lot of military support to India. Pakistan objected that such armament would be used against Pakistan in due time. USA continued to re-built Indian Army. Pakistan in the mean time starting making link with China and started constructing "Karrakoram High Ways" . Once it was completed Pakistan started bringing weapon & armaments by road. Meanwhile, war broke out between Pakistan and India on Kashmir issue.Once, war broke out Pakistan asked help from USA as per Defense Ttreaty (CENTO, SEATO & Bi-lateral Defence Pact with USA). USA remained silent instead argued that clause was "If any Communist Country Attacks Pakistan ", India is not a Communist country ?". USA also imposed arms embargo on Pakistan and India it rather helped India. Now, Ayub tilted towards China. Ayub's foreign policy drastically changed. Ayub, instructed USA to stop all sort of activity in Peshawar. Soon he evicted the American air base stationed at Peshawar against USSR. Pakistan also made a cordial relation with USSR. Lot of cultural people from Russia visited Pakistan. One such cultural program I attended at Army Stadium at Rawalpindi in 1968 (Probably) Pakistan also got some armament. However, many could not reach.

c. Under the above situation USA was in a dilemma, how to tackle Ayub ? Meanwhile, Mujib was recruited to teach lesson to Ayub. Ayub tilted towards Non-aligned Movement and became a great Hero ? Ayub quickly make a separate alignment of RCD (Regional Co-operation for Development). Members were Pakistan , Iran and Turkey. But Bhutto betrayed Ayub. It was he who advised Ayub to move towards China- it was he he who advised to attack India in1965 and now he himself resigned and formed a separate political Party.Once the political condition was shamble condition, Ayub called a "Round Table" at Rawalpindi in October(probably) 1968. All political parties joined including Mujib but Bhutto did not ! Now, the real game started---

d. Once, Ayub called for Round Table political meeting Mujib was in Jail. He was given bail on parole. Once, he came out from Jail, "he said I am still in jail how can I talk in a political meeting, I want to join there as a free man ". Simultaneously his party called for a "Hartal" throughout the then East Pakistan. Bhutto also supported this demand. Finding no other way Ayub was compelled to withdraw the "Agartala Conspiracy" case. Mujib was now a free man and just awaiting to join the Ayub's Round table meeting. On the day, Mujib was about to board on a PIA plane, a man came with a secret enclosed letter and just hand over to Mujib. This man was a local known RAW agent. While, Mujib was on board inside plane, he was reading and some times laughing. Mizanur Rahman was with him. He even did not consult with Mizanur Rahman (This Mizan was the Prime Minister of Ershad Govt, it was he who leaked out this fact). Once all the parties were mutually enjoying the political meeting suddenly Mujib raised up and started reading the six points demand. People were stunned by listening this even his Awami Leaque advisers did not knew before hand what he was talking? Even Mujib himself did not know what he was talking ? However, after Ayub's address Round Table Meeting was concluded without any fruitful result. Only gain was Mujib became a free man and became National Hero ready to give bamboo to all including me. Mujib himself had so shallow knowledge that once Mujib was returning home via Karachi, some reporter asked him a question, " Sir, we heard that in the Round Table you had been very vocal about six points, will you explain to the Nation what it is ?" . Mujib was now really in a thick soup, how to answer them ? Suddenly he said, " Look, six points are lengthy ! I am now too busy, next time I come I will explain in detail ". (To be continued)

Last edited:
I salute your honourable father for his service to the East Pakistani people. it's unfortunate what happened to him and entire East Pakistan. if East Pakistanis democratically had any say in the matters, United Pakistan would have stayed United Pakistan. even if East Pakistanis wanted to split from West in their own will, they wouldn't have split from their very identity as Pakistan and Pakistanis.

i learned somewhat about the socio-politics of that time conversing with my older family members who were East Pakistani and also lived in West Pakistan for some time. but yes @Md Akmal your posts are a real gem. they are eye opening for a younger person like me.

it was very much a reality. and saying just teachers were Hindus is an understatement.

Hindus were socio-economically and culturally several classes above Muslims by 1940s in Bengal. 99% money lenders, and 90% landowners and big zamindars were Hindus. we still have many old zamindar bari's in Bangladesh, styled in a mix of Brahman and Victorian designs, all belonging to former powerful Hindu zamindars. Muslims at the same time were heavily into agriculture with few powerless nawabs and Muslim zamindars here and there. come 1947 independence of East Pakistan, even though many Hindus left East Bengal, the remnants and even the Hindus that left for India were obviously wielding heavy influence and pulling strings in the leftist politics of East Pakistan. Hindus could not tolerate that peasant Bengali Muslims were now sovereign in their own entity determining their own fate and identity. Hindus found a boogeyman after 1947 in the form of West Pakistan they could divert the sentiments of backward susceptible Bengali Muslims against (and Hindus were directly or indirectly working on Muhajirs/West Pakistanis as well to turn them against Bengali Muslims). these phenomenons, very importantly aided by an aggressive Indian intelligence and military operation, are exactly what led to Hindu-commie takeover of East Pakistan and exactly what you see in the form of Bangladesh. today's Bangladesh is a Hindu-Brahmanic system although with a Muslim majority population.

what you said about the ethnic representations in United Pakistan military are exactly what I have been writing from time to time on this forum. i agree @asad71 and @Md Akmal are great resources on Bengali Muslim military participation in their own national armed forces between 1947 and 1971.

i wrote earlier Bengali Muslims should have accepted their position below Muhajir Muslims in East Pakistan as a natural phenomenon. i believe Bengali Muslims overwhelmingly did just that. Bengali Muslims were overwhelmingly patriotic people even amid political suppression of their heritage and identity by Muslimphobic leftist, and many of us have lost touch with our heritage and identity over time till today. most of the noise before 1971 was made by a small percentage of powerful influential leftist radicals and RAW agents. after 1971 it is still that very group that writes our history. don't let those India-leaning agents define us as former East Pakistanis and today's Bangladeshis.

@kalu_miah

1. We had organized Bongobhongo (splitting Bengal), pioneered formation of ML and promoted Pakistan project for a selfish motive also. We sought to get out of the oppression of Hindu zamindars and banya money-lenders. The Permanent Settlement Act 1773 had transformed us as slaves of Hindu zamindars from a position of social elite under the Muslim rulers.
2. Sher e Bangla had delivered us from both curses. Through the Rin Shalishi Board he freed us from the clutches of the banya money-lenders. By another act the zaminadri system in Bengal was scrapped.
3. If Ayub had continued perhaps he would have accepted an autonomous BD as we learn from his autobiography. After Ayub it was all conspiracies under a debauched drunken sick regime. We have read about many angles regarding the break-up. But the Shiah-Sunni angle is not discussed. Ayub was the first Sunni strong man of Pakistan. In toppling him Shiah Bhutto, Shiah Yahya and Shiah Shah of Iran had played their part. Beside the other considerations, the Shiahs could not accept a Sunni Mujib coming in.

If you have time, please explain how do think it would have worked had Mujib was transferred the power and he had implemented his six points. I think that would have ended the federation of Pakistan, and would have created a loose confederation among the two wings. What are your thoughts, were those points feasible?

/QUOTE]

@ Theoretically, you are right, it was not possible but why you are thinking in that line ? If you had handed over power in time then it would had solved in a year. Actually, you have to realize who made or wrote this 6 points ? It was RAW and CIA ! To understand these complected political quiz please follow the following my writings:

a. Pakistan was moving very fast under the leadership of Ayub Khan. Pakistan's economy was at a peak. Among the 3rd world countries in the South East and Far East, it was only Pakistan and South Korea (General Park) were the emerging tigers. The European countries used to visit Pakista both East & West Pakistan for such rapid development. Pakistan's economy was a "Numona" in 3rd World Countries.

b. Pakistan was the member of CENTO & SEATO. Pakistan had a defence Pact with USA and Australia. So, Pakistan used to get lot of defence armament from these countries. Soon, Pakistan Defence became a formidable fighting force.Jute was the key source of foreign exchange earning money as jute and jute materials were widely used in military purpose.So, the greedy Mujib some how realized that if some how this power of Foreign Exchange is kept at the hand of Provinces so "Kella Fate".The economy of East Pakistan was also very good shape.On the other hand India was in no match with Pakistan She was following Non-Alignment Movement as she was the founding member of this Movement. India under the leadership of Nehru pleaded "China - Hindu Bhai Bhai" hence gave less priority on Defence. Meanwhile, suddenly China attacked and captured a vast land towards North and North East . India asked help from USA., USA instructed Pakistan to attack India, Pakistan refused. Finally, USA, gave lot of military support to India. Pakistan objected that such armament would be used against Pakistan in due time. USA continued to re-built Indian Army. Pakistan in the mean time starting making link with China and started constructing "Karrakoram High Ways" . Once it was completed Pakistan started bringing weapon & armaments by road. Meanwhile, war broke out between Pakistan and India on Kashmir issue.Once, war broke out Pakistan asked help from USA as per Defense Ttreaty (CENTO, SEATO & Bi-lateral Defence Pact with USA). USA remained silent instead argued that clause was "If any Communist Country Attacks Pakistan ", India is not a Communist country ?". USA also imposed arms embargo on Pakistan and India it rather helped India. Now, Ayub tilted towards China. Ayub's foreign policy drastically changed. Ayub, instructed USA to stop all sort of activity in Peshawar. Soon he evicted the American air base stationed at Peshawar against USSR. Pakistan also made a cordial relation with USSR. Lot of cultural people from Russia visited Pakistan. One such cultural program I attended at Army Stadium at Rawalpindi in 1968 (Probably) Pakistan also got some armament. However, many could not reach.

c. Under the above situation USA was in a dilemma, how to tackle Ayub ? Meanwhile, Mujib was recruited to teach lesson to Ayub. Ayub tilted towards Non-aligned Movement and became a great Hero ? Ayub quickly make a separate alignment of RCD (Regional Co-operation for Development). Members were Pakistan , Iran and Turkey. But Bhutto betrayed Ayub. It was he who advised Ayub to move towards China- it was he he who advised to attack India in1965 and now he himself resigned and formed a separate political Party.Once the political condition was shamble condition, Ayub called a "Round Table" at Rawalpindi in October(probably) 1968. All political parties joined including Mujib but Bhutto did not ! Now, the real game started---

d. Once, Ayub called for Round Table political meeting Mujib was in Jail. He was given bail on parole. Once, he came out from Jail, "he said I am still in jail how can I talk in a political meeting, I want to join there as a free man ". Simultaneously his party called for a "Hartal" throughout the then East Pakistan. Bhutto also supported this demand. Finding no other way Ayub was compelled to withdraw the "Agartala Conspiracy" case. Mujib was now a free man and just awaiting to join the Ayub's Round table meeting. On the day, Mujib was about to board on a PIA plane, a man came with a secret enclosed letter and just hand over to Mujib. This man was a local known RAW agent. While, Mujib was on board inside plane, he was reading and some times laughing. Mizanur Rahman was with him. He even did not consult with Mizanur Rahman (This Mizan was the Prime Minister of Ershad Govt, it was he who leaked out this fact). Once all the parties were mutually enjoying the political meeting suddenly Mujib raised up and started reading the six points demand. People were stunned by listening this even his Awami Leaque advisers did not knew before hand what he was talking? Even Mujib himself did not know what he was talking ? However, after Ayub's address Round Table Meeting was concluded without any fruitful result. Only gain was Mujib became a free man and became National Hero ready to give bamboo to all including me. Mujib himself had so shallow knowledge that once Mujib was returning home via Karachi, some reporter asked him a question, " Sir, we heard that in the Round Table you had been very vocal about six points, will you explain to the Nation what it is ?" . Mujib was now really in a thick soup, how to answer them ? Suddenly he said, " Look, six points are lengthy ! I am now too busy, next time I come I will explain in detail ". (To be continued)

The Six Points were drafted by some top Bengali technocrats after thoroughly discussing various angles over a period of time. This was presented to SM and top AL leaders during a lengthy session at Chasara. By the time of '70 elections even kids could narrate these Six Points.The election was seen as a referendum on this.

@kalu_miah

1. We had organized Bongobhongo (splitting Bengal), pioneered formation of ML and promoted Pakistan project for a selfish motive also. We sought to get out of the oppression of Hindu zamindars and banya money-lenders. The Permanent Settlement Act 1773 had transformed us as slaves of Hindu zamindars from a position of social elite under the Muslim rulers.
2. Sher e Bangla had delivered us from both curses. Through the Rin Shalishi Board he freed us from the clutches of the banya money-lenders. By another act the zaminadri system in Bengal was scrapped.
3. If Ayub had continued perhaps he would have accepted an autonomous BD as we learn from his autobiography. After Ayub it was all conspiracies under a debauched drunken sick regime. We have read about many angles regarding the break-up. But the Shiah-Sunni angle is not discussed. Ayub was the first Sunni strong man of Pakistan. In toppling him Shiah Bhutto, Shiah Yahya and Shiah Shah of Iran had played their part. Beside the other considerations, the Shiahs could not accept a Sunni Mujib coming in.

The Six Points were drafted by some top Bengali technocrats after thoroughly discussing various angles over a period of time. This was presented to SM and top AL leaders during a lengthy session at Chasara. By the time of '70 elections even kids could narrate these Six Points.The election was seen as a referendum on this.

@ After announcing six points at Lahour, Mujib was highly criticized among AL itself. Mujib after coming from West Pakistan called a Party central meeting where all President and General Secretaries of all 17 Districts attended. In the meeting Mujib was widely criticized and the meeting ended with chaos and confusion. In the next day all but 15 District Presidents and Secretaries resigned from AL. Mujib was highly annoyed and called the leaders of Student League like Tofail, Razak Jalil, Rob and others and said you would not expect good things from all these ex-and old Muslim Leaquers. From now on I authorized you people to campaign for this six points to each Districts, each Thanas and each "Mohallahs". Soon, Mujib was arrested and his these student leader campaign for it to every corner of the then East Pakistan. That was the reason why these student leaders became so powerful and famous. Sir, this was the other side of the story, please accept it. What you heard, what you saw, what you assume and what you believe may not be true ? At least for the case of Bangladesh.You can check it why suddenly all most all members resigned after announcing the six points. .

Last edited:
Bro,

Not all their leaders are separatists (look at the ones that participate in Indian politics). Even former separatists (like Sajjad Lone) have joined the political process now.... some are even BJP allies.

Remaining separatists will be silenced (house arrest or whatever) during such a visit for the greater calm and order of the society whenever it is needed. They are free to talk whatever they want afterwards. They are also free to leave to Pakistan.

You are free to deal with your separatists in your own country (in Balochistan) as well however you want. We will deal with ours.

good reply bro,
that's my point,
both countries have to leave their past, and understand and realize that we cant able to finish any one.

@ After announcing six points at Lahour, Mujib was highly criticized among AL itself. Mujib after coming from West Pakistan called a Party central meeting where all President and General Secretaries of all 17 Districts attended. In the meeting Mujib was widely criticized and the meeting ended with chaos and confusion. In the next day all but 15 District Presidents and Secretaries resigned from AL. Mujib was highly annoyed and called the leaders of Student League like Tofail, Razak Jalil, Rob and others and said you could expect good things from all these ex-and old Muslim Leaquers. From now on I authorized you people to campaign for this six points to each Districts, each Thanas and each "Mohallahs". Soon, Mujib was arrested and his these student leader campaign for it to every corner of the then East Pakistan. That was the reason why these student leaders became so powerful and famous. Sir, this was the other side of the story, please accept it. What you heard, what you saw, what you assume and what you believe may not be true ? At least for the case of Bangladesh.You can check it why suddenly all most all members resigned after announcing the six points. .

1.The Six Points were penned by technocrats/economists and ex-bureaucrats. Some of them were: Rehman Sobhan, Nurul Islam, Musharraf Husain. I know some of them personally.

2. By the time of the '70 elections CU and CL were totally penetrated by RAW. SM had no control over them. In fact they "used" SM all along.

@asad71 @Md Akmal please continue, as it looks like we are getting to the bottom of this confusing episode in our history.

So it looks like SM was not fully aware that RAW has taken over a large part of CU and CL? If he knew, why did he decide to continue to press on with the demand for power handover to the elected parliament?

Also, @M_Saint Bhai mentioned something interesting in another thread, that Yahya and SM had a deal called LFO (?) where Yahya would become President after the election and SM would become the PM, some kind of power sharing between both wings? But after the election, SM decided to take over the whole power for himself. If both of you or others could please elaborate on this, thanks.

About the Shia Sunni angle, is it safe to say that the Partition was more of a British-Shia (and perhaps Iranian or Iranic leaning) project, which was designed to help the Shia more than the vast majority of Sunni's of South Asia? Iran does get a buffer state (Pakistan) to protect itself from becoming a direct neighbor of a huge undivided British India, which probably would include Afghanistan? Of course in 1947 both West Pakistan and Afghanistan were two buffer states between rest of South Asia and Soviet Central Asia, which was part of the British-Western plan to keep a distance between Soviet Union and South Asia?

Last edited:

/QUOTE]

People who acquired position in the Zia and Ershad regime their opinion or account should be taken as pinch of salt. Both these people are power grabber. And know this, story is something else. Lots of time wasted in vain. Now you are taking revenge as Mujib gave you bamboo, personal enmity I guess.

People who acquired position in the Zia and Ershad regime their opinion or account should be taken as pinch of salt. Both these people are power grabber. And know this, story is something else. Lots of time wasted in vain. Now you are taking revenge as Mujib gave you bamboo, personal enmity I guess.

@ Are bhai, here Bamboo is used in general term. Na re bhai no personnel enmity !

leave Establishments behind and shake hands,
These Establishments knew that people of both the countries not want War, even they love each other, but these dirty games just causing the loss!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom