What's new

Failed state? Try Pakistans M2 motorway

blain2 - Indian media is not all "acha hai" - have you actually read an Indian paper? It is full of critical comments about politicians, administrative people, corruption.
I have today's Times of India in front of me-
Veggie vendors make a killing (Front page) - blackmarketting critisized.

Headley's visa papers vanish from consulate (indian consulate in Chicago) - critisizes the MEA for tardy investigation of the Headly case and how he was allowed into India.

Bad for buses , Bad for cars (Page 6) critisizes the state of roads in the capital. Buses are getting worn out quickly.

Army short of 1.86 buletproof jackets (embarassing) (pg 15)

Editorial - Dole Drums - on poverty in India and how to solve it

blain2 - Indian media is not all "acha hai" - have you actually read an Indian paper? It is full of critical comments about politicians, administrative people, corruption.

Headley's visa papers vanish from consulate (indian consulate in Chicago) - critisizes the MEA for tardy investigation of the Headly case and how he was allowed into India.

Bad for buses , Bad for cars (Page 6) critisizes the state of roads in the capital. Buses are getting worn out quickly.

Its obvious they are the owners of the non Indian govt sponsored propaganda channel Times Now.

I have been a regular reader of ToI, HT, Rediff and Express India for more than 5-7 years now.

Not talking about every single report, the overall tone of the Indian media is usually towing the government line and does its fair share of glossing over issues. Not stating that there are no exceptions. The aggregate tone and outlook is the issue here. Reporting as you have given examples of is ad nauseum in the Pakistani media.

Typical Indians, can't digest one good thing about Pakistan. Will do their best to find the bad in a picture which is beautiful in itself.

Point taken.

But I still don't get the point of this thread. Pakistan is not a failed state because it has a modern highway linking Lahore and Islamabad?

I understand that some of you are trying to raise the point that there are other aspects of Pakistan apart from the ongoing insurgency in FATA and Balochistan. But how does the entire "failed state" tag fit into this?

Foreign Policy ranked Pakistan #10 in the failed state index because it is "insurgency-plagued" and "remains on imf life support". Highways, golf clubs and horse race courses have got nothing to do with the failed state index.

blain2 - I feel that maybe the government in India has more legitimacy (democracy). So maybe the media projects things in a more positive way. Media as we know has to sell papers ! They will write what will sell !
Maybe in Pak there is more of an anti-establishment feeling among the people and this is reflected in the media.
Whatever the reason - I personally go to great lengths in critisizing the Indian government and am free to do so - been in a few protest rallies too (anti-reservation!). Media covered us quite well.

"It puts paid to what's on offer in Pakistan's traditional foe and emerging economic giant India, where village culture stubbornly refuses to cede to even the most modern motorways, making them battlegrounds of rickshaws, lorries and cows."

To me, "puts paid" always means "case closed" to the argument comparing the village-like environment of India to the much more modern and urbanized Pakistan with much more advanced infrastructure.

South Asia Investor Review: Pakistan's Modern Infrastructure

It may not be popular with transporters, but it certainly has benefited the Pakistan Air Force for war time dispersal and deployment.

Peshawar-islamabad motorway section also has a 3-4 km patch of road for this purpose, however, we can close the whole motorway if need be. :devil:

Budhay babay ney billo wal takya
Ooo mucha wat key tey thora thora hasya
Tey nalay kita khaow khaow

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom