What's new

FA-50 and JF-17 are the finalists for Malaysian Air Force's Deal: Korea Times

I dont think India will do that over a mil contract on a nation such as Malaysia. But let's say they do, why would Malaysia make themselves more prone to Indian bullying, especially their defense sector buy buying more Indian stuff?
I ain't said anything regarding who's gonna win the contract

One thing which is not in favor of FA-50 is its radar
which EL/M-2032 pulse-Doppler radar (Israeli origin). Use by both FA-50 and Legend Tejas.
Best of luck JF-17 thunder

I do not want to turn it into a slug fest. I wish India and whoever is designing Mark2 the best of luck. By the way who is designing Mark2?
A
DRDO
DRDO track record is much(not so) better then HAL

I don't know if selling palm oil could help Malaysia to defend their air space like this.
The interesting aspect is that RMAF has experience operating the engine types of both competitors although they no longer have the RD-33 active. on a holistic equipment plus diplomatic merit the F/A-50 has the better chance.

I dont think so

Firstly there is not enough production to even meet Indian demands, what HAL do if MoD double the order of Mk1A.

Even if we replace certain avionics with the French one, no one buy it if HAL gives delivery dates like 2027-28.
Also IAF and MoD restrict certain technologies, we won't allow certain tech for export. And the list is huge. It is hard to find a replacement in a short invterval.

Also, ADA/HAL still not developed an export variant of it. So, we had no chance from get-go.

I don't fancy the chances either. I was just saying if FA 50 is an contender or let's say frontrunner despite Israeli electronics, then Tejas has an chance too. Still not saying Tejas is gonna win. But if it comes down to cost with let's say FA50 and Tejas share the same capabilities then we have a chance.

Moreover FA50 doesn't even has sufficient numbers with Korean AF. They have 60 with no more orders. While we have 123 on order with around 23 delivered to IAF. They have a trainer version T50 more numbers but not the FA50 which still can't fire BVRAAM nor do air to air refueling. Their version of FA50 in service is Indian Version of IOC Tejas. And they have to order American missiles to go with it. While Tejas can be integrated with Russian , Indian and Israeli missiles. Malaysia already has Russian missiles with them.

Quite honestly India can't offer with any other radar as of now. It's not really an plug and play situation. If it's a new radar, then again integration tests, missiles test has to take place. French won't allow their radar to mate with Russian missiles nor Israeli ones. This will increase the cost. The advantage of FA50 is their unveiling of KF21 prototype last week. Which they can entice them to join. But other than that, I don't see any real advantage, capabilities wise, KA50 has over Tejas. And as usual political leanings will also come into play.

The interesting aspect is that RMAF has experience operating the engine types of both competitors although they no longer have the RD-33 active. on a holistic equipment plus diplomatic merit the F/A-50 has the better chance.

Can't add more to that but I have a question. What if PAF would have pitched some AESA solution with Block-II?

DRDO
DRDO track record is much(not so) better then HAL

Nope. DRDO doesn't design aero stuff. It's ADA. Aeronautical Development Agency. HAL is the manufacturing partner. Tejas is ADA project. So are the helis and stuff.

However Tejas Mk1A is an HAL project. HAL is trying to become an design house.

So now I have my doubts about this article as it was updated today and mostly revised and content totally changed

How's F/A-50 better than JF-17 in current (latest) configuration and space for future important ?

Back
Top Bottom