What's new

F-22p News & Discussions

I have always wondered why Destroyers never make it to the PNs list. What do the destroyers offer that larger frigates cannot offer? Nevermind that frigates are much more cheaper to maintain.
Well frigates are cheaper to procure as well as maintain and operate. You could hypothetically have 8 frigates or 4 destroyers and expect the loss of at least one ship in war. Losing a destroyer effectively takes away 25% of your capability and number. I do not think the PN requires something in the league of modern destroyers and neither does Pakistan have the financial capability to sustain them.

IMO a frigate in the 3000-4000 ton displacement range with the following would suit PN well; 32 Vertical Launch SAMs like Umkhonto or Mica VL; 8 SSM/AShM like Harpoon; two triple torpedo launchers; 1+ 21-cell RAM PDMS; house helicopter like NH-90 NFH and at least one UAV. Personally I like the MEKO A-200.

I think it'll be a while before the PN finalizes the new frigate requirement. The way things look, it appears first is the submarine issue, then the corvette, frigate and then new aviation equipment. Overall the whole ordering process may not be finished until 2010 - and thus the need for the OHP class to replace the Type-21s and fill in the gap.

Can these Frigates be configured to launch Babur and any other missle system? Its better to have them on the Frigates so that Pakistan has little edge in naval capability which doesn't have at the moment.

Babur is officially said to be capable of being launched via frigates and submarines.

I actually had an idea on this. Though sounds stupid it is interesting.

If the naval launched Babur not developed yet and the war breaks out. Would Pakistan be able to make the Babur launchers (size of a mini truck) to move aboard a frigate and launch them seprately on the ship (has nothing to do with the configuration with the ship, etc..)

Perhaps the order was placed, as your article is about a month old.

Btw:

The new American LCS weighs about the same, but has only a third as many sailors in the crew, lots more automation and costs $250 million. All eight of these frigates are to be delivered within six years.

Something to keep in mind.

If the naval launched Babur not developed yet and the war breaks out. Would Pakistan be able to make the Babur launchers (size of a mini truck) to move aboard a frigate and launch them seprately on the ship (has nothing to do with the configuration with the ship, etc..)

Unless Pakistan has 100 or so Babur's manufactured already, it doesn't make sense to put them on ships since there would still be important targets that could be hit from land with Babur launchers based near the border. Babur's on ships are very important if they can carry nuclear warheads which at the moment looks unlikely, so even if the ship launched Babur takes another five years to materialise in reasonable numbers it wouldn't be late becasue that is how long it would take to miniturise warheads.

That is all true, but still it doesn't answer my question if this is even a possibility?

That is all true, but still it doesn't answer my question if this is even a possibility?

I would say yes.

I saw a documentry on the falklands conflict here in the UK and the Argentines had exocet missiles but no way to configure some to be lauched from planes.

In the end they mounted some on trucks to take out the UK amphibious group.

Wikipedia has a photo of this launcher at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_war

scroll down a bit to the fall of port stanley to see it.

When this shopping list Incresses from 4 Firgates to 8 ?

Is this is confirm news. or just a rumor

News about PN ordering 4 more F-22P is bogus.

its not..................

Please be more informative in your posts please. Keyser

Back
Top Bottom