What's new

F-22 / F-35 5th Generation jets | News & Discussions.

I think there is undue criticism on the F-35 program or maybe its because the americans want some heavy criticism on their product just to give the adversary a false sense of security. US was the 1st one to actively deploy the world's first stealth aircraft when the rest of the world did not even knew such things exist, how come with today's technology they are unable to solve few glitches here and there with the F-35?

I think there is undue criticism on the F-35 program or maybe its because the americans want some heavy criticism on their product just to give the adversary a false sense of security. US was the 1st one to actively deploy the world's first stealth aircraft when the rest of the world did not even knew such things exist, how come with today's technology they are unable to solve few glitches here and there with the F-35?

Demographics change can change all that. Look at Mexico. Does it have fighter jet? Look at Brazil. Does it have fighter?

Demographics change can change all that. Look at Mexico. Does it have fighter jet? Look at Brazil. Does it have fighter?

What demographics change? US is neither Mexico nor Brazil. They have an industrial base far superior to anyone else. Let us not kid ourselves here. US is not developing this technology from the scratch unlike Russia and China. All these problems we hear every now and than about the F-35 program does not make any sense, at least not to me.

What demographics change? US is neither Mexico nor Brazil. They have an industrial base far superior to anyone else. Let us not kid ourselves here. US is not developing this technology from the scratch unlike Russia and China. All these problems we hear every now and than about the F-35 program does not make any sense, at least not to me.

Worsening physical health due to chemicals of all sorts and electromagnetic radiation. Work productivity today is only a fraction of what it was in the 1970s.

Last edited:
Ottawa Citizen recently published a three-part article

Why The F-35 Is The Wrong Choice for Canada

By Kyle Meema
Defence Watch Guest Writer

BhU4l5BIYAErYpP.jpg:large

All three F35 variants strike a pose at @EdwardsAFB. See how all three differ:

Dem outer payloads...
Money well spent on stealth.
I guess when stealth is not required it's fine like fighting Taliban etc just looks weird knowing that it's a stealth aircraft and all.

Also look how big the wings are on the Carrier variant like a whole different aircraft.

Dem outer payloads...
Money well spent on stealth.
I guess when stealth is not required it's fine like fighting Taliban etc just looks weird knowing that it's a stealth aircraft and all.

Also look how big the wings are on the Carrier variant like a whole different aircraft.

VTOL is a genuine piece of Alien equipment man, the engineers would be so proud. This is the reason why US in number 1, I feel proud :usflag:

VTOL is a genuine piece of Alien equipment man, the engineers would be so proud. This is the reason why US in number 1, I feel proud :usflag:

VTOLs have been around for a while many testbed aircraft and the Harrier kicked it off.
But I know what your saying it's still amazing tech. It just sucks in payload and range but it can take off and land from just about anywhere. Also no point in having a Marine Core that has no fighter. So the B variant is a must for the Marines and other similar branches. Marines bring there own just use the Navy for transport.

When I said carrier variant I meant the C variant (not B VTOL) which has the larger wings. The B variant is the middle one.

I just had a trip down memory lane and remembered the suggested Carrier variant of the F-22 and the F-22 Bomber and how the F-22 purchase numbers dropped and dropped and dropped...

I'm just curious was the JSF program the most costly and delayed program in existence?

Last edited:
VTOLs have been around for a while many testbed aircraft and the Harrier kicked it off.
But I know what your saying it's still amazing tech. It just sucks in payload and range but it can take off and land from just about anywhere. Also no point in having a Marine Core that has no fighter. So the B variant is a must for the Marines and other similar branches. Marines bring there own just use the Navy for transport.

When I said carrier variant I meant the C variant (not B VTOL) which has the larger wings. The B variant is the middle one.

I just had a trip down memory lane and remembered the suggested Carrier variant of the F-22 and the F-22 Bomber and how the F-22 purchase numbers dropped and dropped and dropped...

I'm just curious was the JSF program the most costly and delayed program in existence?

Yes Harriers was the first actual VTOL but it is hopelessly outclassed by todays standards. Imagine a modern stealth(somewhat) fighter with ability to land just about anywhere has the edge in today's world. A helicopter, just faster, more lethal and undetectable. Payload and range will be affected because the space an extra turbine will require effecting fuel carriage and payload obviously. These can land on helicopter carriers and/or aircraft. Marines do not require the approval of US congress to carry out operations, only the President's.

F22 dropped in numbers since threat perception went down aswell. No need to field huge numbers of extremely expensive machinery when no threat is able to counter your non stealth planes. Stealth bombers, stealth fighters are more than enough in numbers in current format. With the new F-35 the enemy will only realize when they could do so little against it.

Delayed i am not sure, costly yes. But such a program of this scale which is intended to replace a lot of fighters in the US will be expensive.

Yes Harriers was the first actual VTOL but it is hopelessly outclassed by todays standards. Imagine a modern stealth(somewhat) fighter with ability to land just about anywhere has the edge in today's world. A helicopter, just faster, more lethal and undetectable. Payload and range will be affected because the space an extra turbine will require effecting fuel carriage and payload obviously. These can land on helicopter carriers and/or aircraft. Marines do not require the approval of US congress to carry out operations, only the President's.

F22 dropped in numbers since threat perception went down aswell. No need to field huge numbers of extremely expensive machinery when no threat is able to counter your non stealth planes. Stealth bombers, stealth fighters are more than enough in numbers in current format. With the new F-35 the enemy will only realize when they could do so little against it.

Delayed i am not sure, costly yes. But such a program of this scale which is intended to replace a lot of fighters in the US will be expensive.

I'm not sure what you mean about the approval part I was just stating the USMC needs the B variant for its operations.
It brings it's own to the fight.
The JSF program has had many delays.
It was suppose to be in service many years ago.
For specifics you can go to Wikipedia etc.
From what I remember the VTOL variant caused most of the issues. They were trying to decide whether or not to scrap the variant all together due to costs, delays and payload, range.

I'm not sure what you mean about the approval part I was just stating the USMC needs the B variant for its operations.
It brings it's own to the fight.
The JSF program has had many delays.
It was suppose to be in service many years ago.
For specifics you can go to Wikipedia etc.
From what I remember the VTOL variant caused most of the issues. They were trying to decide whether or not to scrap the variant all together due to costs, delays and payload, range.
Look at this...

aircraft_carrier_complement_zpsce5a9fcb.jpg

For the example above, the old US Navy would sail with 5 or 6 different platforms, one for specific mission. That eventually became unaffordable in terms of logistics and manpower. The Viking's wings folds to make room for storage. The mechanisms for the wings are starboard/port specific, meaning they are not interchangeable. That is a logistical burden. Technicians who works on the Vikings may not be certified to work on the F-14 or F-18. That is an HR burden. Now do that for 5 different aircrafts, not counting helos.

If it is not the F-35, it would be another aircraft designed to replace the multitudes of platforms that US air power have. Personally, I feel that the VTOL necessity for the Marines warranted a distinct platform away from the F-35 base. But no matter what, a common platform is inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom