What's new

Expose of Pakistan's nuclear rogue status

New Recruit

Reaction score

By David E Sanger

To get to the headquarters of the Strategic Plans Division, the branch of the Pakistani government charged with keeping the country's growing arsenal of nuclear weapons away from insurgents trying to overrun the country, you must drive down a rutted, debris-strewn road at the edge of the Islamabad airport, dodging stray dogs and piles of uncollected garbage...

Just past a small traffic circle, a tan stone gateway is manned by a lone, bored-looking guard loosely holding a rusting rifle.

The gateway marks the entry to Chaklala Garrison, an old British cantonment from the days when officers of the Raj escaped the heat of Delhi for the cooler hills on the approaches to Afghanistan. Pass under the archway, and the poverty and clamour of modern Pakistan disappear.

Man with nuclear keys

Chaklala is a comfortable enclave for the country’s military and intelligence services. Inside the gates, officers in the army and the Directorate for Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), live in trim houses with well-tended lawns. Business is conducted in long, low office buildings, with a bevy of well-pressed adjutants buzzing around. Deep inside the garrison lies the small compound for Strategic Plans, where Khalid Kidwai keeps the country’s nuclear keys. Now 58, Kidwai is a compact man who hides his arch sense of humour beneath a veil of caution, as if he were previewing each sentence to decide if it revealed too much.

In the chaos of Pakistan, where the military, the intelligence services and an unstable collection of civilian leaders uneasily share power, he oversees a security structure intended to protect Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal from outsiders — Islamic militants, Qaeda scientists, Indian saboteurs and those American commando teams that Pakistanis imagine, with good reason, are waiting just over the horizon in Afghanistan, ready to seize their nuclear treasure if a national meltdown seems imminent.

In the second nuclear age, what happens or fails to happen in Kidwai’s modest compound may prove far more likely to save or lose an American city than the billions of dollars the United States spends each year maintaining a nuclear arsenal that will almost certainly never be used, or the thousands of lives and hundreds of billions of dollars we have spent in Iraq and Afghanistan to close down sanctuaries for terrorists.

Just last month in Washington, members of the federally appointed bipartisan Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism made it clear that for sheer scariness, nothing could compete with what they had heard in a series of high-level intelligence briefings about the dangers of Pakistan’s nuclear technology going awry.

“When you map WMD and terrorism, all roads intersect in Pakistan,” Graham Allison, a Harvard professor and a leading nuclear expert on the commission, told me. “The nuclear security of the arsenal is now a lot better than it was. But the unknown variable here is the future of Pakistan itself, because it’s not hard to envision a situation in which the state’s authority falls apart and you’re not sure who’s in control of the weapons, the nuclear labs and the materials.”

Epicentre of terror

For Kidwai, there is something both tiresome and deeply suspicious about the constant stream of warnings out of Washington that Pakistan is the epicentre of a post-cold-war Armageddon. “This is all overblown rhetoric,” Kidwai told me on a rainy Saturday morning. “Please grant to Pakistan that if we can make nuclear weapons and the delivery systems," Kidwai said, gesturing to the models and a photo of Pakistan's first nuclear test, a decade ago, “we can also make them safe. Our security systems are foolproof.”

“Foolproof” is most likely not the word Barack Obama would use to describe the status of Pakistan’s nuclear safety following the briefings he has been receiving since Nov 6, which is when J Michael McConnell, the director of national intelligence, showed up in Chicago to give the President*elect his first full presidential daily brief.
The Pakistani nuclear programme owes its very existence to the government-endorsed and government-financed subterfuges of A Q Khan, who then turned the country into the biggest source of nuclear-weapons proliferation in atomic history. And while Khan may be the most famous nuclear renegade in Pakistan, he is not the only one. Soon after Kidwai took office, he also faced the case of the eccentric nuclear scientist Sultan Bashiruddin Mahmood, who helped build gas centrifuges for the Pakistani nuclear programme, using blueprints Khan had stolen from the Netherlands.

Mahmood then moved on to the country’s next huge project: designing the reactor at Khushab that was to produce the fuel Pakistan needed to move to the next level — a plutonium bomb.

Mahmood-the nightmare

An autodidact intellectual with grand aspirations, Mahmood was fascinated by the links between science and the Koran. He wrote a peculiar treatise arguing that when morals degrade, disaster cannot be far behind. Over time, his colleagues began to wonder if Mahmood was mentally sound. “This guy was our ultimate nightmare,” an American intelligence official told me in late 2001. “He had access to the entire Pakistani programme. He knew what he was doing. And he was completely out of his mind.”

While Khan appeared to be in the nuclear-proliferation business chiefly for the money, Mahmood made it clear to friends that his interest was religious: Pakistan’s bomb, he told associates, was “the property of a whole Ummah,” referring to the worldwide Muslim community. He wanted to share it with those who might speed “the end of days” and lead the way for Islam to rise as the dominant religious force in the world.

In August 2001, as the Sept 11 plotters were making their last preparations in the United States, Mahmood and one of his colleagues met with Osama bin Laden and his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, over the course of several days in Afghanistan.

There is little doubt that Mahmood talked to the two Qaeda leaders about nuclear weapons, or that Al Qaeda desperately wanted the bomb. George Tenet, the CIA chief, wrote later that intelligence reports of the meeting were “frustratingly vague.”

Today, Mahmood, like Khan, is back home, under tight surveillance that seems intended primarily to keep him a safe distance from reporters.

Kidwai insists that the Mahmood incident was overblown, raised time and again by Americans to create the image that Pakistan is a nuclear sieve. “Nothing went anywhere,” he assured me. “It’s over.” But what’s terrifying about Mahmood’s story is not what happened around the campfire, but rather that the meetings happened at all. They took place three years after Kidwai and his team started their work and demonstrated the huge vulnerabilities in the Pakistani nuclear infrastructure at the time.

Kidwai estimated that there are roughly 70,000 people who work in the nuclear complex in Pakistan, including 7,000 to 8,000 scientists and the 2,000 or so with “critical knowledge.” If even 1 per cent of those employees are willing to spread Pakistan’s nuclear knowledge to outsiders with a cause, Kidwai — and the United States — have a problem.

The Pakistanis insist that these American fears are exaggerated and that it would be next to impossible for someone to steal all the elements of a weapon. As Kidwai paced me through PowerPoints and diagrams, his message was that Pakistan's nuclear-weapons-safety programme is up to “international standards.”

But back in Washington, military and nuclear experts told me that the bottom line is that if a real-life crisis broke out, it is unlikely that anyone would be able to assure an American president, with confidence, that he knew where all of Pakistan's weapons were — or that none were in the hands of Islamic extremists. “It’s worse than that,” the participant in the simulations told me.

“We can’t even certify exactly how many weapons the Pakistanis have — which makes it difficult to sound convincing that there’s nothing to worry about.”

(The writer is chief Washington correspondent of The New York Times. This article is excerpted from his forthcoming book, The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and The Challenges to American Power.)

these reports and books seem to be the pre-sermon to prepare us for de-nuclearisation of pakistan!:usflag::rofl:

just kidding!
but seriously, wat is US upto?:undecided:

Kidwai estimated that there are roughly 70,000 people who work in the nuclear complex in Pakistan, including 7,000 to 8,000 scientists and the 2,000 or so with “critical knowledge.” If even 1 per cent of those employees are willing to spread Pakistan’s nuclear knowledge to outsiders with a cause, Kidwai — and the United States — have a problem.

i don't see these number any good,more of an exaggeration

Hey guys is this dude really is a writer..??
It seemed as if he is was narrating a bedtime wannabe Harry Potter stories.
i can't find a single evidence or argument in his entire article that support his claims and suggests that **** Nukes are in danger.
And why is he so concerned about the roads, buildings, shops and guards of Pakistan? i think he also needs to visit india so that he can truly understand the South Asian culture.

BTW there are enuff insurgencies and movements inside india (now my indian friends don't get mad on this) that also imposes a similar kind of threat to indian nukes but nobody bothers, ofcourse for the obvious reasons.

By David E Sanger

To get to the headquarters of the Strategic Plans Division, the branch of the Pakistani government charged with keeping the country's growing arsenal of nuclear weapons away from insurgents trying to overrun the country, you must drive down a rutted, debris-strewn road at the edge of the Islamabad airport, dodging stray dogs and piles of uncollected garbage...

Just past a small traffic circle, a tan stone gateway is manned by a lone, bored-looking guard loosely holding a rusting rifle.

The gateway marks the entry to Chaklala Garrison, an old British cantonment from the days when officers of the Raj escaped the heat of Delhi for the cooler hills on the approaches to Afghanistan. Pass under the archway, and the poverty and clamour of modern Pakistan disappear.

Man with nuclear keys

Chaklala is a comfortable enclave for the country’s military and intelligence services. Inside the gates, officers in the army and the Directorate for Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), live in trim houses with well-tended lawns. Business is conducted in long, low office buildings, with a bevy of well-pressed adjutants buzzing around. Deep inside the garrison lies the small compound for Strategic Plans, where Khalid Kidwai keeps the country’s nuclear keys. Now 58, Kidwai is a compact man who hides his arch sense of humour beneath a veil of caution, as if he were previewing each sentence to decide if it revealed too much.

In the chaos of Pakistan, where the military, the intelligence services and an unstable collection of civilian leaders uneasily share power, he oversees a security structure intended to protect Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal from outsiders — Islamic militants, Qaeda scientists, Indian saboteurs and those American commando teams that Pakistanis imagine, with good reason, are waiting just over the horizon in Afghanistan, ready to seize their nuclear treasure if a national meltdown seems imminent.

In the second nuclear age, what happens or fails to happen in Kidwai’s modest compound may prove far more likely to save or lose an American city than the billions of dollars the United States spends each year maintaining a nuclear arsenal that will almost certainly never be used, or the thousands of lives and hundreds of billions of dollars we have spent in Iraq and Afghanistan to close down sanctuaries for terrorists.

Just last month in Washington, members of the federally appointed bipartisan Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism made it clear that for sheer scariness, nothing could compete with what they had heard in a series of high-level intelligence briefings about the dangers of Pakistan’s nuclear technology going awry.

“When you map WMD and terrorism, all roads intersect in Pakistan,” Graham Allison, a Harvard professor and a leading nuclear expert on the commission, told me. “The nuclear security of the arsenal is now a lot better than it was. But the unknown variable here is the future of Pakistan itself, because it’s not hard to envision a situation in which the state’s authority falls apart and you’re not sure who’s in control of the weapons, the nuclear labs and the materials.”

Epicentre of terror

For Kidwai, there is something both tiresome and deeply suspicious about the constant stream of warnings out of Washington that Pakistan is the epicentre of a post-cold-war Armageddon. “This is all overblown rhetoric,” Kidwai told me on a rainy Saturday morning. “Please grant to Pakistan that if we can make nuclear weapons and the delivery systems," Kidwai said, gesturing to the models and a photo of Pakistan's first nuclear test, a decade ago, “we can also make them safe. Our security systems are foolproof.”

“Foolproof” is most likely not the word Barack Obama would use to describe the status of Pakistan’s nuclear safety following the briefings he has been receiving since Nov 6, which is when J Michael McConnell, the director of national intelligence, showed up in Chicago to give the President*elect his first full presidential daily brief.
The Pakistani nuclear programme owes its very existence to the government-endorsed and government-financed subterfuges of A Q Khan, who then turned the country into the biggest source of nuclear-weapons proliferation in atomic history. And while Khan may be the most famous nuclear renegade in Pakistan, he is not the only one. Soon after Kidwai took office, he also faced the case of the eccentric nuclear scientist Sultan Bashiruddin Mahmood, who helped build gas centrifuges for the Pakistani nuclear programme, using blueprints Khan had stolen from the Netherlands.

Mahmood then moved on to the country’s next huge project: designing the reactor at Khushab that was to produce the fuel Pakistan needed to move to the next level — a plutonium bomb.

Mahmood-the nightmare

An autodidact intellectual with grand aspirations, Mahmood was fascinated by the links between science and the Koran. He wrote a peculiar treatise arguing that when morals degrade, disaster cannot be far behind. Over time, his colleagues began to wonder if Mahmood was mentally sound. “This guy was our ultimate nightmare,” an American intelligence official told me in late 2001. “He had access to the entire Pakistani programme. He knew what he was doing. And he was completely out of his mind.”

While Khan appeared to be in the nuclear-proliferation business chiefly for the money, Mahmood made it clear to friends that his interest was religious: Pakistan’s bomb, he told associates, was “the property of a whole Ummah,” referring to the worldwide Muslim community. He wanted to share it with those who might speed “the end of days” and lead the way for Islam to rise as the dominant religious force in the world.

In August 2001, as the Sept 11 plotters were making their last preparations in the United States, Mahmood and one of his colleagues met with Osama bin Laden and his deputy, Ayman al-Zawahiri, over the course of several days in Afghanistan.

There is little doubt that Mahmood talked to the two Qaeda leaders about nuclear weapons, or that Al Qaeda desperately wanted the bomb. George Tenet, the CIA chief, wrote later that intelligence reports of the meeting were “frustratingly vague.”

Today, Mahmood, like Khan, is back home, under tight surveillance that seems intended primarily to keep him a safe distance from reporters.

Kidwai insists that the Mahmood incident was overblown, raised time and again by Americans to create the image that Pakistan is a nuclear sieve. “Nothing went anywhere,” he assured me. “It’s over.” But what’s terrifying about Mahmood’s story is not what happened around the campfire, but rather that the meetings happened at all. They took place three years after Kidwai and his team started their work and demonstrated the huge vulnerabilities in the Pakistani nuclear infrastructure at the time.

The Pakistanis insist that these American fears are exaggerated and that it would be next to impossible for someone to steal all the elements of a weapon. As Kidwai paced me through PowerPoints and diagrams, his message was that Pakistan's nuclear-weapons-safety programme is up to “international standards.”

But back in Washington, military and nuclear experts told me that the bottom line is that if a real-life crisis broke out, it is unlikely that anyone would be able to assure an American president, with confidence, that he knew where all of Pakistan's weapons were — or that none were in the hands of Islamic extremists. “It’s worse than that,” the participant in the simulations told me.

“We can’t even certify exactly how many weapons the Pakistanis have — which makes it difficult to sound convincing that there’s nothing to worry about.”

(The writer is chief Washington correspondent of The New York Times. This article is excerpted from his forthcoming book, The Inheritance: The World Obama Confronts and The Challenges to American Power.)

I think I stopped reading the article further after the first bold sentences. What this writer describes in the beginning shows his desire for under projection, dramatization/ exaggeration and over indulgence! The approach to the Chaklala Garrison, where I travel day in and out, is quite a built approach and the roads leading to the small traffic circle (AMMAR CHOWK) is one of the busiest intersection of that area! All the roads leading from Islamabad to Ammar Chowk is fully paved without any bumps. Yes there is only 1 or 2 spots before the airport where we see some garbage alongside the road but generally the entire route is very clean and well maintained as per local standards! The road next to the airport is being widened to ease the traffic flow to and from Islamabad-Rawalpindi! Having traveled extensively all over the world, I have seen much worse places and infrastructure that what this idiot tries to 'project' here! :cheers: Right.......and the rest of the article just lost its credibility and worth to its bad start!

come on that is the typical western outlook to being "clean" ....... as if they had any cleanliness back in 1700s and so on ........:crazy:

its easier to point fingers at others ..... pretty usual to descirbe both india and pakistan this ways ...... the problem is not theirs but the mentality of our own people ..... we tend to see in US everything as being great ..... even their ******* buildings appear clean as they have plenty of open spaces (they DO have the larger land after all and lesser density) ..... but go anywhere .... downtown NY, atlanta or whatever .... and you find equal ***** ...... and probably equal poverty .....

and what with unemployment at an all time high and as per their own admissions 50% children were undernourished due to economic meltdown?

hypocrites they are I guess

and I am Indian origin guy ......

but I admire AQ Khan ....... rogue or no is a sense of perception ..... but he did his duty towards his country ...... and he did it well.

I think that state security and defence of the nation is first and foremost duty of a citizen and son of the soil towards his country ....... when Pakistan was lagging in Nuclear Tech, he may have begged/borrowed/stolen/invented, whatever, but he did it well. And if he sold tech to North Korea to get missile designs (and we know they did get from North Korea) I think he was right, for he did his duty to his nation and this action of his gave Pakistan a delivery system that is proven and ahead of what India has.........

Hats of to him I say and my salute:agree::tup:

and as for pot holes, the Europeans have them too as also US ..... only the soil in South Asia is more of the sinking types which renders permanency to smoothness impossible

By David E Sanger

Man with nuclear keys

Epicentre of terror

Mahmood-the nightmare

Why so much emphasis on Pakistan only?
I think this scenario is highly likely in other countries as well.
With the number of nuclear weapons maintained by US and Russia...doesn't make sense for them to be so worried about Pakistani arsenal (peanuts in comparison).
In terms of probability it would be easier for a well financed terrorist organization with local sympathizers to gain access to weapons from these countries due to the sheer numbers present!

I believe with recent WMD related incidents in US it is obvious that WMD storage and authorization protocols in place are not as strict as they would have us believe.
In such a scenario would it not be possible for a person (like Timothy Mcveigh) to get his hands on such material and take revenge from his own government.
Similarly after the breakup of USSR and the subsequent economic meltdown can we not assume that the tons of weapons grade nuclear material in the Ex Soviet States has been provided foolproof security till date?
I think even some instances have been quoted in the past regarding missing or unaccounted for WMDs in Ex Soviet States.

Due to many reasons there are Muslim and Non Muslim extremist elements present in Israel and India as well and they can also pose a similar threat in the long run.
In my humble opinion other countries maybe a lot more vulnerable than they think or admit and that in itself is synonymous to inviting trouble!!!

FYI, a very organized security setup is already in place with 10,000 personnel and Major General Rank Commander.
They have recruited some of the finest officers (serving or recently retired) with good career records and lots of background checks in place.
No mention of that setup in this report at all.
Makes one wonder what is the true intent of the author as he deliberately fails to mention the entire setup in which lots of US influenced security Protocols have also been implemented!
This deliberate ignorance really makes this entire article a useless propaganda and does not add any value whatsoever.

Please visit the following two sticky threads
http://www.defence.pk/forums/wmd-mi...ets-interview-director-spd-pakistani-nca.html

http://www.defence.pk/forums/wmd-missiles/13958-how-pakistan-secures-its-nuclear-weapons.html

Moderators please merge the two above threads if you deem suitable, since they are quite similar IMO.
Many thanks.

One really shouldn't be worried this is after all the same country that went to Iraq thinking of finding hordes WMD's is this the same set of experts? Because seriously man all countries aren't cursed with presidents like Trueman that think YEEHAAW BIG MISSILE BIG BOOM. I am positively sure that all of Pakistan' Nuclear techology is secure and certainly not in one persons hand to spread orcontroll.

these crazy people think that we in south asia are just waiting to blow each other up :woot:

and we have no sense of responsibilty ....... :cheesy:

let them protect their own sites first ............ !!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom