What's new

Explosion in Karachi

Report on nature of Karachi blast may be out today

KARACHI: An expert report on the nature of the Ashura blast is likely to be made public by Monday evening, it has emerged.

After almost a week following the blast in the Ashura procession, in which 44 people were killed and more than 60 wounded, with each passing day the investigators seem to have come closer to the opinion that it was not a suicide blast.

The Karachi police had sought the assistance of the Peshawar police to ascertain the nature of the explosion. AIG (bomb disposal squad) Shafqatullah Malik of the Peshawar police, who visited the scene of the blast last week, is due to give his report to the Karachi police during the next 24 hours, said a senior police officer.

A senior police officer, seeking anonymity, told Dawn that the theory of planted bomb negated the Rangers claim that their man Abdul Razzaq had grabbed the suspected suicide bomber before he blew himself up.

“We will comment on the issue only after getting the report from the experts,” the police officer said.

However, the capital city police officer said that teams of the bomb disposal squad and Rangers sniffer dogs moved ahead of the procession, giving clearance after searching the processions route.

“If it is established that it was a planted bomb, an inquiry will be held to ascertain that why they failed to check or detect the planted explosives,” CCPO Waseem Ahmed said.

It would be ascertained whether there was some technical fault in the BDS equipment or it was due to their incompetence, the city police chief added.
Similarly, the Rangers sniffer dogs apparently failed to detect the explosives as the box was four feet above the ground.

And the Rangers personnel might have kept the dogs away from the box since it contained sacred papers, observed another officer associated with the investigation.

However, it also raises questions if the dogs are trained enough to detect explosives. If they are, they should have been able to detect such a large quantity of explosives even by passing close to it, the investigator observed.

Police said the suspected box meant for keeping papers with sacred writings was installed on the pavement.
The CCTV footage shows that green box was not pole-mounted but was fixed on the pavement four feet high on a metal stand and had sizable capacity.

The box has been there since 1996 and is being looked after by a trust that disposes of the papers with sacred writings.

Police said they had also questioned the person responsible for checking the box, and on the 3rd of Muharram they had taken out the papers from the box.

DAWN.COM | Local | Report on nature of Karachi blast may be out today

See how we burn our own country:hitwall:

Last edited by a moderator:
TTP denies hand in Karachi procession attack

KARACHI: The Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) on Thursday denied any involvement in the Karachi Ashura procession attack which killed 44 people and left dozens others injured.

Azam Tariq, the TTP spokesman, denied having any involvement in the attack and said militant commander Azmatullah Shaheen's claim was baseless and that he 'acted on his own will'.

The TTP, said Tariq, does not target public places in Pakistan.

Earlier, on Wednesday, Asmatullah Shaheen, a top militant commander based in South Waziristan told news agencies by telephone that the TTP was behind the attack, warning that they would carry out more such attacks and also target government installations.

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | TTP denies hand in Karachi procession attack

ya big difference.....these TTP guys suck even in telling lies......i thought that these assholes were having their last show of power(when they started the bombing spree) coz they were being hunter by pak military.....but i stll have a feeling that the military actions are not having any effect on them:undecided:....they are continously bombing everywhere.........hope this ends soon....

^ the karachi 'land mafia' was behind it - see how the owners of these shops are quickly repairing their shops! - makes u wonder if they (shop owners) have 'lost everything', then where is this 're-construction' money coming from!!!

Man, you forget the obvious things!

Just think what you will do if you ever get into such situation? (may God bless you). You will ask for help to someone you know. And everyone knows someone who can help. That's it!

Life never stops. Those shops are someone's bread and butter. Naturally, they would want the shops to start again ASAP. I see no wonder there.

I dont know if anyone watched the talat show today with ssp, mustafa kamal and dr farid pracha. In the show pracha who is jamat-e-islami member accused mqm for setting fire on bolton market. I mean how stupid can you be. Most of the people there are mqm supporters. Plus city gov have abig tax revenue from this place. And why would mqm release the whole camera videos if they were behind it. Mqm have worked so hard as I have seen on the television and this is what they get from this party. I am not any political member or neither do I support them. But i mean this is the worst time for somone to bring up conspiracy theories and allegation with no evidence what so ever. Stupid jamat seriously.

I dont know about you guys but I really dont believe its mqm. Sure they have had some cases back in the past but this.

I dont know if anyone watched the talat show today with ssp, mustafa kamal and dr farid pracha. In the show pracha who is jamat-e-islami member accused mqm for setting fire on bolton market. I mean how stupid can you be. Most of the people there are mqm supporters. Plus city gov have abig tax revenue from this place. And why would mqm release the whole camera videos if they were behind it. Mqm have worked so hard as I have seen on the television and this is what they get from this party. I am not any political member or neither do I support them. But i mean this is the worst time for somone to bring up conspiracy theories and allegation with no evidence what so ever. Stupid jamat seriously.

I dont know about you guys but I really dont believe its mqm. Sure they have had some cases back in the past but this.

I heard a story that MQM offered shop keepers of burnt market 10 Million per shop to vocate for a road development project but they refused.

Can any body have any clue about reality of this story??????

I heard a story that MQM offered shop keepers of burnt market 10 Million per shop to vocate for a road development project but they refused.

Can any body have any clue about reality of this story??????

If this is true then the real estate mafia will be involved.

Centre to give Rs 3 bn for rehabilitation of Karachi traders
Agencies 02/01/2010 10:46:00 Font size:
KARACHI: The federal government on Friday announced to contribute Rs 3 billion while the Sindh government Rs 500 million for the rehabilitation of the traders and shopkeepers whose properties were extensively damaged by miscreants following the Ashura carnage in the city.

All provincial ministers and MPAs would contribute their one-month salary to assist the traders. Finance Minister Shaukat Tarin and Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah announced this at the CM House, following a Sindh cabinet meeting. Briefing media persons, Qaim said a committee, comprising four ministers, including one each from the MQM and the ANP, would oversee the rehabilitation activities. He said the cabinet also decided that no leader of any coalition party would commenton the nature of the blast and arson acts except the home minister in order to avoid further “confusion” and “blame-game”.

He disclosed that probe teams had been given four more days to complete their investigation. He said if reports of the federal and Sindh inquiry teams were not found satisfactory, then other “suggestions and comments” would be taken into consideration to ascertain the nature of the blast and motives behind it and arson acts. Qaim admitted that the issue of target killings of MQM workers was also raised in the cabinet meeting and Interior Minister Rehman Malik, who also attended the meeting, responded to it. However, he added in the same breath that the interior minister did not say anything specific about the target killings. Qaim said target killings needed to be investigated.

About the affected traders, he recalled that a fire had also erupted in the Bolton Market in 1998 and traders’ main demand was to grant them lease of shops. The government would look into their demand, Qaim said, adding the Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry and representatives of around 50-60 markets in the city would also be involved in the rehabilitation process, the CM added. He said the representatives of the KCCI and market associations would be invited to a meeting soon.

Shaukat Tarin said a committee, comprising members of the chamber and the markets’ association, would debate “macro issues” and take decisions. He said damages to property and lack of cash were the main problems of the affected traders and shopkeepers, who needed help on an immediate basis to restart their businesses. He said Rs 3 billion would be the initial help, which could be increased after assessing the damages properly. Responding to a question, Qaim said the Ashura blast was the first of its kind in the city. He said that it was still not known as to whether it was a suicide blast or a bomb was planted.

It was yet to be determined through proper inquiry by experts, he said. He opined that it would not be advisable to form any opinion about the blast immediately. The government would look into holding a judicial inquiry into the incident when the inquiry teams submit their reports, he said, adding the government would set up a judicial commission when it felt that the investigation report was not satisfactory. In response to another question, Qaim said the responsibility about possible security lapses would also be fixed after the completion of investigation. He said the affected traders and shopkeepers were more interested in getting lease of their shops than relief.

He admitted that the traders had also refused to restart their businesses at the Railways Ground. The chief minister said the government respected the sentiments of the affected traders and shopkeepers but it would not be advisable for them to suggest that rallies/processions should not be allowed on the MA Jinnah Road. ANPís minister Amir Nawab, PML-Fís adviser Imtiaz Sheikh who has status of minister and PPPís ministers Pir Mazharul Haq, Ali Nawaz Shah, Shazia Marri and Rafiq Engineer were also present during the briefing. MQMís ministers were conspicuous by their absence.

^ the karachi 'land mafia' was behind it - see how the owners of these shops are quickly repairing their shops! - makes u wonder if they (shop owners) have 'lost everything', then where is this 're-construction' money coming from!!!

Sir jee, i think you don't know (almost) every child in Karachi is millionire and during the period from 2000 - 2007 the became billionier.... they earned from stock exchange and trading, mainly in imports due to high purchasing power of Pakruppees till 2007.
Whole Pakistan buy from Karachi importers. Next time you buy some thing consider the profit share is already paid to a bussinessman in Karachi.

Regarding rehman malik........ i don't believe this guy even 0.1%, he is only misleading Pakistanis as he has done/attempted, almost on every occasion.

That is partially true. they only wanted 3 shops to be removed not 3000 shops.

So only one information requested. Has there been any questions raised on Mr. Malik and also the investigative agencies in the local media for doing a U turn on their earlier theory of suicide blast? Afterall they had honored a soldier for making the ultimate sacrifice for doing his job and protecting his countrymen. I mean they had access to the same CCTV tapes earlier too.... when they declared it a suicide blast which they are now stating to be otherwise. Or has there been new evidence to change their thinking??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom