What's new

Exploring ties: UAE interested in Reko Diq project

I don't get the big idea,why can't we do ? it's no rocket science.If we really wanted to you would see some effort involved,no one is willing to do any thing,too much controversies already surrounding Riko Diq.So much gold and no one to mine it. @syedali73 ,sir,you're take on this.Surely Pakistan can hire some real expert's for this project,no one is serious about this.What's the point in having one of the world's largest gold mine,if you can't make the most of it.

Above all will power. We are lazy enough to have other people do our work. I am not willing to believe that Pakistan can't mine Diko Diq if it really wanted to.

Out of the 180+ million the best and sincere and hardworking Pakistanis are the politicians, decision makers, lawmakers and their relatives and friends which are let us say for the sake of numbers in some thousands, the remaining are not capable enough.

--------------------------------------------------

6 March 2015

pak-gold-thumb-0503.jpg

UAE may invest in Pak’s gold, copper projects: Durrani

Islamabad looking to benefit from the UAE’s strategic location

The UAE has shown interest to invest in Balochistan’s Reko Diq exploration project, one of the world’s largest gold and copper reserves, which is estimated to value over $260 billion.

Talking to Khaleej Times, Pakistan’s Ambassador Asif Durrani said that work on the Reko Diq project would start soon. “There is an arbitration going on. It is another project in which interest has been shown by friendly countries to invest in. The UAE has also shown interest saying they would like to invest in the project,” he said.

Reko Diq project has been delayed due to exploration and extraction of licensing issue. Licence of these mines were given to Tethyan Copper Company (TCC). In 2011, Balochistan government cancelled the contract of TCC and now TCC has claimed for damages in the International Court of Justice.

Referring to UAE-Pakistan economic relations, the ambassador said the host country was the largest trading partner in the Gulf and Mena regions.

“Out of $19 billion trade in the Gulf region, our trade with the UAE is $9 billion. So this balance of trade is in UAE’s favour. We have $7 billion exports from the UAE, mostly oil but also we have other materials such as aluminum and machineries,” he explained. About exports from Pakistan, Durrani said it was $2.3 billion exports to UAE, mostly in foodstuff with rice being the major product, which is close to $300 million.

“The other exports include perishable fresh fruits and vegetables also valued at close to another $300 million. We also have light engineering products exported to UAE,” he said. According to him these were last year’s trade exchange figures. About this year the ambassador said: “This year we hope the trade will further grow. Compared to last year, in the last two to three months we have seen an increase in the exports of fruits and vegetables with better packaging and properly waxed. So this year we expect a growth of $100 million to $150 million in fresh fruits and vegetables exports.

“We see the UAE as the economic hub of the entire Mena region. It is now emerging trade centre, and we are looking to benefit from the UAE’s strategic location for our exports to the region.”

Another major economic contribution from the UAE, he added was the remittances from Pakistani community members, which is $3 billion annually. About havala system for remittances, he said it has not totally eradicated but still there. He said: “In fact I would say that Pakistani government is considering how fast the banking system could provide remittance services, and how the banking system could access the remote areas.”

About Pakistan’s energy requirement, he said it was 4bmcf and the country needs more to fulfill this through projects like Tapi (Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-Indian) pipeline project and supplies from Iran and Qatar.

He said when the Iran-Pakistan pipeline project is complete the supply from the project will be only 700mmcf, meaning still a shortage of 1.25mmcf. About Gwadar Deep-Sea Port, he said it was now emerging as an important port, especially after the agreement with China.

This will also lead to the development of multiple road networks that will link the two major North (Central Asia) and South (Gulf) oil and gas producing countries.

“China will invest more than $42 billion for the Noth-South corridor, which includes a road network from Gwadar to China. This will also boost the socio-economy of Gwadar and entire Makkuran region and the whole province of Balochistan,” he said.

The ambassador said the port will further contribute to the economic development in the Gulf region. Gwadar Port will have capability and capacity to reservoir the energy of the Gulf region and shorten the time period and the distance for oil tankers and reduce the tanker traffic chocking. “This project is going to be a game changer in the region.”

UAE may invest in Pak’s gold, copper projects: Durrani - Khaleej Times

---------------------------------------------------------------

December 6, 2014

&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-141209454.jpg

Pakistan’s $500bn gold mine kept under wraps

Uncertainty surrounds the future of a world-class gold mine in Pakistan due to poor handling of the project by regional authorities.

Reko Diq is a copper and gold mine in Chagai district of Balochistan province with a value up to $500bn. It holds about 5.9 billion tonnes of ore, making it the world’s fifth largest deposit of gold and copper.

But the huge project has ground to a halt over a dispute between the provincial government and the miners.

Tethyan Copper Company (TCC) – a joint venture of Barrick Gold of Canada and Antofagasta of Chile – had been awarded a licence for exploration in the Reko Diq area in 2006. In 2011, TCC’s application for a mining lease for the project was rejected by the Balochistan government of then-chief minister Aslam Raisani, which decided to run the project on its own.

TCC took the case to the international arbitration court claiming damages because it had invested more than $500 million in exploration and feasibility studies.

“There is potential … for multiple mine developments over the next few decades. By refusing a mining licence without good grounds, it’s sending quite a negative signal to the exploration/mining community,” said Tim Livesey, the chief executive of TCC, in 2012.

The rejection of a mining licence to the company after an exploration permit had been granted was an unusual decision by the government. Mr Raisani abruptly closed off communication with the company and even refused to meet its executives.

Mr Raisani rejected the TCC bid in the name of protecting the legitimate interest of Balochistan, but did his decision really help the least developed province and its people?

Balochistan has always been on the country’s political periphery, and has suffered years of neglect. The Baloch nationalist parties had reservations about the Reko Diq deal – signed with a foreign firm by the government of former president Pervez Musharaf without taking local leadership into their confidence.

Soon after the rejection of TCC’s bid, the Metallurgical Corporation of China (MCC) came with a counter proposal for a mining lease for Reko Diq and offered Balochistan a larger share in income and royalty.

In 2002, MCC had acquired a lease the Saindak copper and gold project in the same district as Chagai, which expired in 2012. If the Raisani government was serious in its desire to develop deposits using local firms, why did it not oppose the five-year extension in the lease period of the Saindak project?

The Reko Diq project became controversial after news stories alleged that the Reko Diq gold mines were being secretly sold to foreign firms for peanuts.

The dispute between TCC and Balochistan began after the resignation of Mr Musharraf in 2008. Under his administration, TCC was awarded the project with mining rights and it signed a joint-venture agreement with Balochistan holding 25 per cent interest in the project. But in December 2009, Balochistan said it was cancelling the TCC deal.

That triggered a blame game, with each side accusing the other of violating mineral rules. In January 2013, former chief justice of the supreme court Iftikhar Chaudhry declared the Reko Diq contract between the Balochistan and TCC void.

Crucially, the general elections of May last year brought a new government to Balochistan, with Abdul Baloch replacing Mr Raisani as chief minister.

Mr Baloch’s government is now considering renegotiating the deal with the TCC. Both the federal and provincial governments now wish for an out-of-court settlement with the TCC. If a deal with TCC is now the best choice, why did the previous government reject the company’s bid for a mining lease?

In early 2013, Mr Raisani was removed from the post as the law and order situation in Balochistan broke down. After stepping down, he linked his removal to his decision to scrap Reko Diq deal.

In fact, the former chief minister failed to serve the interest of Balochistan when he tore up the TCC deal.

For instance, how would the cash-strapped province, which is unable to pay even the fee for legal experts, pay the damages if the international court rules in favour of TCC? In case of an out-of-court settlement, TCC would be in a stronger position to bargain over the issues related to the development of the gold mine. The Reko Diq project could lead to the development of a modern mining industry and change the destiny of the country’s least developed province.

Arbitration proceedings have further delayed the mine’s development, which has not been worked since 1993 when BHP Billiton signed a deal with Balochistan. While BHP had an exploration deal, it did no practical work and sold its 75 per cent interest to TCC in 2000. In 2006, TCC was taken over by Antofagasta and Barrick Gold.

TCC deserves credit for the discovery of the huge Reko Diq deposits. The company was willing to make an investment of $5bn over five years. It could have been the biggest foreign-financed project in the country’s history. But the short-sighted policy of the government meant this potential game changer never got off the ground.

What has been the outcome of the dispute so far? The country has missed a huge foreign investment. It has closed the door on technology transfer in mining into Pakistan and discouraged foreign firms eyeing up its mineral deposits.

Meanwhile, prospects for this world-class mine lie dormant until the final ruling of the international court.

Pakistan’s $500bn gold mine kept under wraps | The National

And i am interested in sunny leone;)
Trolling is allowed for bhartis.... continue.

Why can't we do it ourselves?

Initial investment is required, first to lay the infrastructure including rail roads, electricity, a small functional city, later comes the process design, followed by machines, transportation, erection, commissioning and initial operations, all involving experts... until this point its all money spent.
Approx. conservative estimate for a conservative production line, it would require $2billion to produce first gold.
During Musharraf time the gold price was double, and Pakistan was peaceful, therefore few investors were available.
Today, market price of gold and copper is at rock bottom, investment in all the above areas does not make any sense.
If UAE has made offer than they must be considering long long term planning.
However, with UAE advantage is that they will not bring foreign labor, which isn't the case with other investors, hiding behind political faces of Pakistani politicians.
With UAE, contract draft can be simple on 50-50 split on profit. Where 100 % investments will be by UAE.
Pakistan should seize the opportunity, with terms as described above it will pave way for a development of local expertise and industry.

Last edited:
I don't get the big idea,why can't we do ? it's no rocket science.If we really wanted to you would see some effort involved,no one is willing to do any thing,too much controversies already surrounding Riko Diq.So much gold and no one to mine it. @syedali73 ,sir,you're take on this.Surely Pakistan can hire some real expert's for this project,no one is serious about this.What's the point in having one of the world's largest gold mine,if you can't make the most of it.
With present lot of selfish and inapt politicians, expect nothing. There is nothing controversial about it. The government has to come up with a formula on how much share will go to Balochistan government, how much to the federal government and how much will be taken by the company (or companies) digging. In addition to that, smelters need to be erected so that locals could get jobs and the ore does not leaves the country at dirt-cheap price.

Why can't we do it ourselves?
My father is a geologist (retired), though his expertise are in hydro-geology (underground water). He (among several other geologists) were sent to Australia for post-grad studies back in early 1980s. His department, together with the Geological Survey of Pakistan (GSP) has done ground-breaking work with the help of Japanese (under JICA program) where they used ground penetrating radars (mounted on modified Bell UH-1s) etc to study what was hidden under the ground. For several years, they have combed Balochistan and prepared detailed maps and dug holes to confirm their findings. Back in those days, we had brought in massive Ingersoll-rand drilling rigs, which according my father, could dig as deep as 1-1.5 miles and wont give up. That is when a Dictator (Zia) was ruling this country. In 90s, we had these bastard civilians, and my father's department was forced to purchase drilling rigs from Japan. I remember my father was extremely pissed for those rigs would give up following 500 meters and break too often. This was followed by budget cuts, closing down of several departments (including my father's) involved in research etc. and all experienced officers dispersed.

What I am trying to say is, the politicians have systematically destroyed everything; until late 90s, there was a breed of Pakistani geologists, engineers, and technicians that was well-trained, highly skilled, and very much into their profession. Not only that, these people were provided with best equipment as I mentioned above and adequate resources. Now, nothing is left there, and the cream decides to go abroad rather than staying back in the country for several reasons. Mining industry is not a rocket science, nor is metallurgy and smelting but with present lot of bastard politicians, nothing is going to happen.

I am trying to say is, the politicians have systematically destroyed everything; until late 90s

No surprise there, Pakistan was not only destroyed but also sold by these two parties in 90's.
I remember, RAW penetrated Pakistan's religious organizations on sectarian basis and created militant wings therein.
Many hindus were given govt. jobs by BB and many were appointed in Pakistani embassies abroad.
Even worst is happening from from 2006.. onwards. reason, is that politics provide a backdoor to the undeserving to rule.

As democracy is a system where people are weighed not evaluated on merit.

Money and expertise...

If our government was to be working honestly for the development of the nation and the common man and at 80%+efficiency, the money required can be arranged by public donations in a month time as a grant or a loan.

We Pakistanis have such a bloated ego that we seriously believe that we can pull off something like a mining project.

Our education system is just one piece of the puzzle of why we will never be able to do it.

Back
Top Bottom