What's new

Exciting News for Motorcycle Enthusiasts, Keeway and Benelli Coming Soon To Pakistan

Hence this tagline:

Pakistan, where the 21st century lives in the 18th, and wants to go to the 7th!

:D

=======

Seriously, though, what you say is more a matter of shame than pride, all things considered.

Agreed, I'm not too happy with domestic progress in any of the industrial sectors. Its almost as if he we convinced exporting cotton and mangoes and do not even want to think about diversifying our export portfolio. That being said, I still hope for better days. Recent signs have been somewhat positive, and you may call it my misguided optimism, I think we might finally be moving towards the right direction now.

Simple point the way I see it.

They copy what will sell.

Nit because they cannot copy something bigger.

You guys have an entire cottage industry that makes good copies of sophisticated imported guns?

Copying an engine should be easy. Precision parts like carbs too - or they can be China sourced.

Yes, I am surprised to see that news of Dara Adam Khel has spread to India as well! Its not making engine parts that's the tough job, literally every motorcycle mechanic has a machinist sitting in his shop that will fashion any part you wish for you.
Your observation about the copies is spot on, they know that everyone wants a Honda but not everyone can cough up the extra PKR 25,000 they charge over the price of a domestic assembled bike which is why they make literally the same thing and you gradually swap out parts on an 'as-needed' basis until you have a local frame with complete Honda parts.

Agreed, I'm not too happy with domestic progress in any of the industrial sectors. Its almost as if he we convinced exporting cotton and mangoes and do not even want to think about diversifying our export portfolio. That being said, I still hope for better days. Recent signs have been somewhat positive, and you may call it my misguided optimism, I think we might finally be moving towards the right direction now.

I will let your claim go unchallenged, voluntarily, Sir.

===================

Back in the day, I still remember the day Saif Nadeem Kawasaki put up a brand new Kawasaki LTD454 in lavish Blue up for sale in their showroom on David Road in Lahore. The stuff of dreams that never materialized.

Kawasaki454LTD001.jpg

Hasrat un ghunchon pey ........

We once had a bit of an altercation in our unit when a young lieutenant and a retired officer's American educated son got into a heated argument about Pakistan. The former argued that the young student could not see anything positive about Pakistan, the latter said the lieutenant was blind for not seeing any of the flaws. Our CO, a wise man, stepped in and stopped them, his words stick to me to this day:

"Neither of you is wrong. Its your views of the world that differ and for good reason. Your realities are defined by your experience of the world. To the lieutenant, the cosmos revolves around and within Pakistan and so that serves as the ultimate benchmark for him. Whereas the American Student has seen the world and his threshold is unassumingly diverse. In that sense, if you come to think from the other's perspective, you might become somewhat sympathetic to the other's opinions".

We once had a bit of an altercation in our unit when a young lieutenant and a retired officer's American educated son got into a heated argument about Pakistan. The former argued that the young student could not see anything positive about Pakistan, the latter said the lieutenant was blind for not seeing any of the flaws. Our CO, a wise man, stepped in and stopped them, his words stick to me to this day:

"Neither of you is wrong. Its your views of the world that differ and for good reason. Your realities are defined by your experience of the world. To the lieutenant, the cosmos revolves around and within Pakistan and so that serves as the ultimate benchmark for him. Whereas the American Student has seen the world and his threshold is unassumingly diverse. In that sense, if you come to think from the other's perspective, you might become somewhat sympathetic to the other's opinions".

Hence the lack of my challenging your views above, Sir. :D

===================

Back in the day, I still remember the day Saif Nadeem Kawasaki put up a brand new Kawasaki LTD454 in lavish Blue up for sale in their showroom on David Road in Lahore. The stuff of dreams that never materialized.

Kawasaki454LTD001.jpg

Hasrat un ghunchon pey ........

The GTO 550 made it into military service, what a robust vehicle. Unfortunately, it was apparently never made available for general sale.

The GTO 550 made it into military service, what a robust vehicle. Unfortunately, it was apparently never made available for general sale.

MPs had some great bikes back in those days.

Back to the topic, Suzuki sold about 25k bikes annually. How many do Benelli expect to sell, given that figure, in your view?

Initially, I guess it all depends on the price, anything over PKR 300,000 would be difficult to pitch to the public, which is why I think they launched a 150cc Keeway along with the Benelli. However, Yamaha YBR has been a recent success story in the Pakistani Market and I think if Benelli can sell over 8000 units in their first year, they'll be able to establish themselves. In Pakistan, bikes sell not because you like them, but by their resale value. That is why its very important to win over early adopters. The more bikes they can get on the roads, the more likely they are to succeed.

MPs had some great bikes back in those days.

True that!

Initially, I guess it all depends on the price, anything over PKR 300,000 would be difficult to pitch to the public, which is why I think they launched a 150cc Keeway along with the Benelli. However, Yamaha YBR has been a recent success story in the Pakistani Market and I think if Benelli can sell over 8000 units in their first year, they'll be able to establish themselves. In Pakistan, bikes sell not because you like them, but by their resale value. That is why its very important to win over early adopters. The more bikes they can get on the roads, the more likely they are to succeed.

That is the problem: How can any importer sell roughly at cost ($3000) when taxes will easily double the price beyond the local market's ability to pay? This project will go nowhere, I am afraid.

True that!

If its 150 cc than the price would be around PKR 1,60,000....

Recently another Chinese bike was launched in the same category and its about the same price !

Yamaha with their success of YBR have changed the game...they also plan to launch fz-150 next year in Pakistan.

That is the problem: How can any importer sell roughly at cost ($3000) when taxes will easily double the price beyond the local market's ability to pay? This project will go nowhere, I am afraid.

Importers can negotiate for concessions, especially if they throw in local assembly into the contract. That's how Yamaha has been able to establish itself as a player. They set up a local production line that is still not up to full capacity, in the coming five years or so, they look to use the facility to export bikes into MENA.

If its 150 cc than the price would be around PKR 1,60,000....

I would say that is a very sound estimate.

Importers can negotiate for concessions, especially if they throw in local assembly into the contract. That's how Yamaha has been able to establish itself as a player. They set up a local production line that is still not up to full capacity, in the coming five years or so, they look to use the facility to export bikes into MENA.

Sure, let's see how many units are sold and at what price. That will indicate the viability of the project. A Suzuki GS150 is about 130k, and is an established player in the local market for that engine size, with local assembly.

Back to the topic, Suzuki sold about 25k bikes annually. How many do Benelli expect to sell, given that figure, in your view?
much less,
its hard to break in,
firstly they'd explicitly have to let the Pakistani populus know that they're not Chinese,
I met a guy and told him about this news and he was like "Its chinese Junk"

they dont even know anything other than Honda Yamaha and Suzuki,
other than that they'd reject anything calling it chinese,

these companies have to make their PR here by strong marketing and some incentives,.

If I have learnt one thing in my life, its that you always think that you'll get all the attention from girls when you start bodybuilding or riding bikes and soon after you have been drawn in do you realize that these pursuits get you more male attention than female. Same goes with bikes, even my friends who prefer the faster Suzuki Bandits and Kawasaki Ninjas inevitably get asked all the time by guys on Honda 125s for a race. :(
Wesay baray hi afsos ki baat hai. Wardi kai baad bhi apko kisi cheez ki zaroorat hai? :cray:

Back
Top Bottom