What's new

Emergency Imposed!

Vote about Emergency Imposed!

• I support it. I am done with CJ, political instability, Benazir.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • I condemn it. Musharraf needs to step down, and elect as a RETIRED General.

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters
does USA, TRYING THE SAME KIND OF TACTICS, which once it (USA)used AGAINST a former allay IRAQ, that is a open secrat tht, in WAR against IRAN, IRAQ WAS a ally to USA and thn SADDAM was a hero in the western media + US MEDIA THERE r, alot of similarities between ongoing situation of pakistan, there were groups which were secratly funded by CIA, to act when some task was reqired, KLA, for instance was bieng organized, i mean (kurdistan libration army) , and was supplied arms, and all the important, tools , and also in case of IRAN, THEY ( EVERY - US- ADMINSTRATION) UNDER THE INFLUNCE of CIA, KEEPS ,supporting fromer, iranian king (raza shahs) sons and its family for future changes in IRAN, and they r still, running tht till now, in case of ,pakistan and gen. musharf, are they(CIA) is funding the unseen support for unresponsible, greedy+eveil uncontrolable moneythirsty media? + fundings to pakist ans croupt politicians with help of traped arogant styiled CJ , who made himself a party? with the partenership of so-called educated lawyers. DOES CIA planing the outser.. of GEN. MUSHARF ? it seems tht, there are some elements, still trying to,upset ,pakistani, adminstration, by , making use of print media, and ,media satalite tv. chanels?, imposition of emergency is totaly, pakistanS ,internal issue? does USA have any right to do this all, after gen.ZIA,S assination, AFTER the hanging Z.A. BHUTTO, STILL CIA, can deliver tht ??????????????????????????:angry::hitwall::angry::pakistan::china::sniper::devil::usflag:

Bhangra,

What is the difference between Emergency and Martial Law?

Has the Army been called out?

Is the civilian govt overthrown?

Has the Parliamentarians been arrested?

Is there Military Courts?

!

@ SALIM!

What your are saying is when a military chief overthrows a ruling PM and anticipates a backlash from civil populous....Its ironic and incredible that he imposed emergency on the country which was governed by his own government.. threw in jail people like atizaz ahsan who not many may like as h ebelong to PPP but no doubt he doesnt talk on gun point but rather on logic and reson.....I mean how can a Faujee rangroot throw in jail people who are educated, politicians civilians......Mushy has enjoyed his power chair and bulit Farms and buglows and yet he wants to continue to hold on to power bcos he thinks countru needs him...how i smushy diffferent from a suicide bombers......suicide mobers do what they think is right and get cursed by all of us….mushy does same and people strta a pole here

London, Nov 4 - With less than three weeks to go before the Commonwealth summit, the body's Secretary-General Don McKinnon Saturday expressed 'grave concern' at the declaration of emergency by Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf.

'The suspension of the country's Constitution days before the Supreme Court was due to pass judgement on General Musharraf's re-election as president is a matter of deep concern to the Commonwealth. It is a step in the wrong direction and a serious setback to democracy,' McKinnon said.

Pakistan, which was suspended from the Commonwealth in 1999 and restored to full membership in 2004, is now set to top the agenda of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Kampala Nov 23-25.

If, as is widely expected, India's High Commissioner to Britain Kamlesh Sharma is voted to succeed McKinnon as secretary-general at Kampala, then dealing with Pakistan will be his first and immediately task.

In his statement McKinnon said the challenges facing Pakistan are widely acknowledged, but suspending constitutional rule and taking arbitrary action against the judiciary are not the answer.

'It is essential that the constitution and the rule of law be restored and the judiciary respected. The Commonwealth also expects that the elections due to be held in January 2008 will not be postponed and that President Musharraf will abide by his undertaking to relinquish his military office before taking the oath as President for a second term.'

McKinnon said he will discuss the developments in Pakistan with the Chairman of the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group, which was established in 1995 to deal with serious or persistent violations of the Commonwealth's fundamental political values.

The Group, whose current members are the foreign ministers of Britain, Canada, Lesotho, Malaysia, Malta, Papua New Guinea, St Lucia, Sri Lanka and Tanzania, has been regularly engaged with the situation in Pakistan.

At their summit in Malta two years ago, Commonwealth leaders declared that a single person holding the offices of head of state and chief of army staff is incompatible with principles of democracy. They reiterated that until the two offices are separated, the process of democratisation in Pakistan will not be considered irreversible.

Aaj TV is still up and running, online at least, so their equipment was either only temporarily taken or not at all, unless they have manged to find another means of broadcasting.

As far as the internet is concerned, all the major Pakistan based newspapers - The News(jang), Dawn, Daily Times, Pakistan Tribune etc.are up and running and updated regularly. Also, our resident journalist, Jana, has had no issues logging on from Pakistan since the first day of the emergency, so the "blocked internet" part, at this point, seems rumor.

Dear Jana,

Your best friend Mrs BB is in Islamabad to meet the US Ambassador ? Is it true ? Wonder why ?

Regards

Blacked-out Pakistan TV channels turn to Internet

Agence France-Presse
Last updated 02:30pm (Mla time) 11/06/2007

News Most Read RSS
Close this KARACHI--Blocked by the government and facing harsh curbs, Pakistan's private television channels have turned to the Internet to reach viewers starved of news about the state of emergency in the country.
Authorities took cable broadcasters off the air on Saturday evening when they first started to report that military ruler President Pervez Musharraf was about to impose an emergency -- which he did minutes later.

Since then most Pakistanis have
faced either blank screens or the sanitised news broadcast by state television -- a black hole that helped fuel rumors on Monday that Musharraf had himself been ousted by the army.

But the independent stations have hit back with Internet streaming and satellite broadcasting.

"News is a contraband item in Pakistan now and it is being sold on the black market," Imran Aslam, the president of Geo Television, the country's most widely watched cable news channel, told AFP.

Geo sent an SMS to cellphone users on Sunday telling them to log onto its website (Geo News) to get live transmission. Another channel, ARY One, sent out a similar email (::: ARY DIGITAL :::).

"Technology has progressed beyond (the government's) imagination and we believe this is the best time to put new media into operation," said Aslam, whose channel is running an on-screen counter showing the time elapsed since the emergency began.

He added that there had been a "rush on Internet log-ons" since Musharraf imposed emergency rule.

There are between three and five million Internet users among Pakistan's 160 million-strong population, service providers say, up from less than one million in 2001.

It is a bitter irony -- for both Musharraf and the private channels -- that it is he who was responsible for the revolution in Pakistan's once staid electronic media.

Musharraf liberalized television regulations in 2003, heralding an explosive growth of channels that now beam talk shows, satirical political skits and soaps to millions of Pakistanis.

But he resented their critical stance after he sacked the country's chief justice earlier this year. Geo's Islamabad bureau was smashed up by police on March 16, although Musharraf called them live on air to apologize.

So it was little surprise when Musharraf issued strict edicts to the print and electronic media on Saturday in the wake of his emergency rule declaration.

It bans anything that defames or ridicules him, state officials or the army, and threatens violators with up to three years in jail or a fine of 10 million rupees ($166,700).

Broadcasters can have their equipment confiscated and their premises shut.

"Professional journalists find ways to tell people the truth," said Azhar Abbas, director of news and current affairs at Dawn TV, Pakistan's first English-language news channel.

"We are already live screening on our website, we are trying to establish other ways of keeping Pakistan in the picture," he added.

The channels can also be accessed via satellite, and sales of satellite dishes have jumped since the weekend, traders said.

"I used to sell one or two dishes in a week, but today alone I received orders for 30 dishes," said Mohammad Hadi, who sells satellite equipment in the central city of Multan.

Meanwhile the blackout has given a boost to Pakistan's "old" media.

Newspaper hawkers in the southern port city of Karachi said their sales had doubled since the emergency began.

"Dozens of people are coming to my stall on the way to work to see the newspaper headlines. It is like the old days before the television channels came," said newsstand owner Shahid Mehmood.

The ban on the electronic media has particularly perturbed women in conservative Pakistan who are less likely to go outside and so rely on the TV channels for information.

"We are really in the dark now. There is nothing on except soaps and movies," said Karachi resident Hameeda Khan.

Dawn TV's Abbas said that rumors circulating in the information vacuum would only heighten the uncertainty in Pakistan.

"The government should lift the ban and let the people know the truth," he said.

Copyright 2007 Agence France-Presse. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

is this is right time for BB,to, go islamabad and,meet, american AMBASSDOR, AND take further ,intructions, to how to, distabalized, pakistan, easily. and how to, hand over, dr,AQ.KHAN, and also to handover the all NUCs to USA, AND to become, queen of democracy,EVENTULY, she seems to be blind as much, as she was, at the time of the asasination of her brother MIR MURTAZA BHUTTO, for the sake of power, both in the party and at growing family affairs, as she calls herself, daughter of east, and darling of the west is trying to please, her master, (USA) AS MUCH she can, i mean, by puting more sterss on the milatry brass, to, trun thier backs to, gen. musharf,,,, she and her master ,forgot tht, this pakarmy , knows tht , even, if they do, wht ,was the certain, ask of a, evil superpower,this superpower is going, to,kill each and evrybody???????? of them, as USA sponsored cia did inthe case of, shaheed, gen.ZIA AND 8 OTHER, SHEAHEED GENRALS.SO as all pakistan, knows she already got the sentence from SWISS COURT, for 18 months , she (BENAZIR BHUTTO) IS REALY , DESPARETE TO ,FIND A WAY INTO THE POWER?????????????????????:disagree::disagree::hitwall::disagree::disagree:

the TEST OF GEN.MUSHRAF, is yet ,tobe seen, how much strong, he is , in his, assesment, TO READ the wishes of the common masses, IN PAKISTAN. common people certinly r not intersted,in the politics of the CIA backed politicians, like BB, IMRAN,BUT THEY ARE certainly, become concerned from, the troublemaking role of media. the goverment is 100% right to cut this unresponsible media, from ,its sources. the, media , should know, the fact that, it was not BB NOR N.SHARIF who made this media so, powerfull it was the man ,behind, his milatry uniform, who gave them ,thier own satalite empire. which , they now r using, to topple him, ? i just wana have 1 question, that ,at times, when, BB OR BABA(N SHARIF) WERE in power , why they havent allowed this, heaven of ,satalite media to masses of pakistan?????????????????:eek::eek::disagree::sick:

@ SALIM!

What your are saying is when a military chief overthrows a ruling PM and anticipates a backlash from civil populous....Its ironic and incredible that he imposed emergency on the country which was governed by his own government.. threw in jail people like atizaz ahsan who not many may like as h ebelong to PPP but no doubt he doesnt talk on gun point but rather on logic and reson.....I mean how can a Faujee rangroot throw in jail people who are educated, politicians civilians......Mushy has enjoyed his power chair and bulit Farms and buglows and yet he wants to continue to hold on to power bcos he thinks countru needs him...how i smushy diffferent from a suicide bombers......suicide mobers do what they think is right and get cursed by all of us….mushy does same and people strta a pole here

These are troubled and uncertain times and so I would not like to upset anyone.

However, my question to you and those of similar opinion, was the situation in Pakistan normal? Start from the Red Mosque, the CJ, the lawyers, the soldiers not taking action in NWFP and practically playing into the hands of people like Mehsud, Swat, bombing during Benazir's return, bombing near the President's office to the present conditions. Are those normal things that is everyday events in countries?

What would you have done?

Sit pretty, twiddle your thumb and act like Nero and let the situation downslide beyond control?

What makes you feel that Army men are illiterate village idiots?

If Musharraf is not OK by you, who is your hero/ heroine to come to the rescue?

its very shamefull to see tht geo tv , its special bulteen, telling people of pakistan tht , USA, has told pakistan tht , pakistan should, free the media ? so if pakistani media thinks tht by doing tht , they r doing good for pakistan, and also they were, honest, with pakistani people,its a disaster????????. the fact is actully tht they were being bared from making money on name of so called in pakistan????????????????:pakistan::smitten::pakistan::smitten::china::guns::usflag:

These are troubled and uncertain times and so I would not like to upset anyone.

What makes you feel that Army men are illiterate village idiots?

If Musharraf is not OK by you, who is your hero/ heroine to come to the rescue?

Dear Salim,

No one is saying Army men are illiterate village idiots but nor are they great economists or far sighted enough to run nations. Even Singapore which has quite a rigid regime its still run by civilians and not the Army. Even China has moved away from that path so what makes the PA good enough to run Pakistan ?

You are an army man yourself I am sure you have come across several young men and officers who are excellant in battlefields and wars but totally inept in peacetime adminstration do you promote them to Generals ? Gen M had 6 years of the people of Pakistan backing him, the world powers backing him and no local opposition but he failed so should he not peacefully retire and tend his gardens and play golf and let someone new lead the country ?

Best Regards

Dear Salim,

No one is saying Army men are illiterate village idiots but nor are they great economists or far sighted enough to run nations. Even Singapore which has quite a rigid regime its still run by civilians and not the Army. Even China has moved away from that path so what makes the PA good enough to run Pakistan ?

You are an army man yourself I am sure you have come across several young men and officers who are excellant in battlefields and wars but totally inept in peacetime adminstration do you promote them to Generals ? Gen M had 6 years of the people of Pakistan backing him, the world powers backing him and no local opposition but he failed so should he not peacefully retire and tend his gardens and play golf and let someone new lead the country ?

Best Regards

AM,

You must read the posts carefully. Karpov called Musharraf an "army rangroot (recruit)" = an idiot. Correct me if I am wrong!

If you believe that that the PLA is not behind the scenes of China, then one another guess is due.

Musharraf may not be a genius in economy, but then I wonder if the CJ, BB or NS are! They have advisors as Musharraf has including his PM.

Let us state his has no clue of economics. What have to you say of BB and NS who sunk Pakistan to become a breadbasket case? Is that what you think is fine?

It is again a misconception that all Army men play golf and tend to their gardens. Mushrraf prefers tennis and having scoffed at the reports that he is under house arrest himself, went off to play tennis.

Why has he not quit?

He is the last hope for salvaging Pakistan from being at the end of the stick as the home of terrorism and as a failed state with a rock bottom economy! He shall deliver and then quit. All Army men believe in implementing the aim, irrespective of the hurdles!

Pakistan is our neighbour and unlike the common misconception, most of us Indians, wish it well. But a chaotic Pakistan is most dangerous to us! Fundamentalist and looneys like the CJ would mean troubled times. From my side, they can take a running jump into the Indus!

Salaams!

Back
Top Bottom