What's new

Emergency Imposed!

Vote about Emergency Imposed!

• I support it. I am done with CJ, political instability, Benazir.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • I condemn it. Musharraf needs to step down, and elect as a RETIRED General.

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters
The general's iron fist | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

The general's iron fist

Leader
Monday November 5, 2007
The Guardian

This time there were no midnight instructions from the US secretary of state to the president of Pakistan about why he could not impose a state of emergency, as was the case in August. The boot was on the other foot. On Friday the head of US Central Command, Admiral William Fallon, threatened to cut the US funding that keeps the corrupt military regime in business ($10bn since 2001 and $80-100m a month for the war in the tribal region of Waziristan) if General Pervez Musharraf declared a state of emergency.

And he Did Declare the Emergency

Bravo for atleast this move despite threat from super power.
Thats way we need to act in similiar way on all other issues too.
:cheers:

People have more important problems of daily life to solve rather than coming on streets for greedy and opportunist politicians and vested elements.

And how do you see Mushraff as?

And he Did Declare the Emergency

Bravo for atleast this move despite threat from super power.
Thats way we need to act in similiar way on all other issues too.
:cheers:

Mushraff wont dare US.

This is the best that could happen to US, a ruler with no media limelight to do the dirty work for them.

Mushraff wont dare US.

This is the best that could happen to US, a ruler with no media limelight to do the dirty work for them.

You mean Musharraf has imposed the emergency with backing of US ???

Hmmm well than whats to cry over

You mean Musharraf has imposed the emergency with backing of US ???

Hmmm well than whats to cry over

Well i have no issues !!! Your country after all & it affects you directly, not me.

My pt was at those who considered Mushraff to be different than all those earlier ones.

Well i have no issues !!! Your country after all & it affects you directly, not me.

My pt was at those who considered Mushraff to be different than all those earlier ones.

Yes indeed and we are vocing our concern where we think it is right and where it is wrong and this can be seen and judge from the different opinions by my countryment on this very forum.

i was replying to your claim that Musharraf could not dare to differ with US (and your comment was also in regard to my comment over emergency impostion that too against the Will of US)
AS far Musharraf is different from others or not there is no simple reply to that beacuse.

1. He has to taken many decision earlier in most difficult sitution wherein US was pressurizing us either to opt for her or against her.
Simple as that.
2. Despite US Immense pressure he also refused to send our forces to Iraq. .
3. He also refused to roll back nuclear programme and we continued to test missiles during all this time.
4. If a civilian government was in place at the time when US attacked Afghanistan it would also had to side with US.

5. While all the successive governments of BB and NS did not face such difficult situation but we did not see anything much better for the common man as these too only looted the country and run away to Dubai and Saudi Arabia.
If they were so much Khadim of masses why they did not opted for satying in Pakistan and facing jails and courts and cases.

I agree with Niaz's sentiments. The deed is done - what comes next?

I have been racking my brains to figure out how the terrorism situation could be handled any better, under emergency, but I can't see what difference it would make.

Perhaps he'll go after them guns blazing, and not have to wory about collateral damage and PA losses being highlighted, therefore allowing him to sustain a bloody war long enough to establish state writ over the Tribal areas and put a real dent in the terrorist groups. But as most of us have concluded, the solution to the Tribal areas violence isn't going to be purely military, and if the US backs out of the 750 million aid package for the Tribal areas, and ROZ's, it makes his task that much more difficult - atleast from a sustained conflict POV. If he can manage to achieve some major gains in a relatively short amount of time, a cutoff of US aid won't make much of a difference, but the question is will he?

The recent release of the 25 prisoners to Mehsud in exchange for the hostages would indicate otherwise, that he is actually reverting to making "deals" - or perhaps he wants to start with a clean slate, get his men back, get solid assurances from Mehsud that he'll expell the foreignors, and go at him full force when he doesn't implement the "deal" like before.

A full fledged bloody military operation is the only way I see any justification of emergency from a "fighting terrorism" stand point? Any other ideas?

As far as the restrictions n the press go, are these applicable only during the period of the emergency, in which case they are justifiable to some extent, or more of a long term policy position?

the press/media needs to be free - (deep down musharraf wants that) but in recent days the independent TV stations were fuelling the fire by showing the ghastly images of the suicide attacks with impunity. even international TV networks like CNN/BBC/SKY refrain from showing such images. they need to have a balanced approach.

Looks Like that rumors are spreading thick and fast and that there is counter coup against Musharraf and he is house arrested....But then ISPR denied officially...

Ohh damn under house arrest Musharraf held meeting with PM to discuss situation :P

wohhh

President, PM discuss prevailing situation in country

ISLAMABAD, Nov 5 (APP): Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz on Monday
called on President General Pervez Musharraf here at the Aiwan-e-
Sadr and discussed the prevailing political and security situation
in the country.
They emphasized the need for holding of free and fair
elections in a peaceful atmosphere. They expressed the confidence
that the Code of Conduct circulated by the Election Commission of
Pakistan as well as the security code issued by the Ministry of
Interior would pave the way for successful completion of the
election process.
While reviewing the law and order situation, it was felt that
normalcy prevailed throughout the country and the people attended
their normal activities, a press release issued from the PM House
said.
They also discussed measures taken in Swat and FATA to address
the situation and to curb extremism.
The meeting also discussed various aspects of the emergency
rule and emphasized upon the need for closer cooperation and
collaboration between the Executive, Legislature and the Judiciary
in the larger national interest.

APP/

I think the Emergency rollback has already started. This would probably all end by Nov. 15th.

Howcome Asim ??????
As soon as the caretaker government is set up then it can be declared that we are back on track.

From then on General elections would be just 60 days ahead.

And what about the case on legality of Mushraff's election? What about iftikar chowdary?

And what about the case on legality of Mushraff's election? What about iftikar chowdary?
Attorney General Malik Qayyum says case would go on. Chaudhary sahab n gang are fired.

Exactly! Mushy may well hold parliamentary elections in 60 days, but the presidential chair will still be tainted since he never allowed the SC to give the final verdict.

Back
Top Bottom