What's new

Ejecting out of a fighter jet!!!

Levina

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Ever thought how dangerous it can be for a pilot to eject from his fighter jet??
Its like choosing between Scylla and Charybdis!!!

An incident narrated by a friend got me curious about seat ejection from fighter jets. This one is compiled from his narration and other articles that I read on net related to seat ejections.
Did you know that one in three pilots face a spine injury after ejecting out?? Or that if the jet is flying low then the pilot risks injury from the air blasts from forward motion as well as up??
If the pilot ejects at a higher altitude (say 20k-30K feet) then his main parachute won't deploy until he gets to a low enough altitude, and it can get cold really fast up there.
Usually it could take as long as 20 minutes to get to the ground and there won't be enough oxygen to breathe, so the seats 're provided with supplemental oxygen. In the time frame between ejection and the main parachute opening up , a smaller chute called a drogue is deployed (approx. 2 seconds after the ejection), to stabilize the seat so that it doesn’t tumble and to slow the pilot’s horizontal velocity. In a near free-fall the pilot plummets until he hits an altitude of 15k feet, at which point his main parachute automatically deploys.

The ejection is about 15 to 19Gs (200G per second) depending on the type of aircraft, which is too much for the body to sustain but thankfully it is for a very short time. Nonetheless, such exits can be near fatal if the pilot is unconscious, because of Gs working on him, in a city he might crash on a building, tree etc. Water landing is another possibility.
The good news is the survival rate is greater than 92% in such cases.
Pilots have been killed and hurt only because it (ejecting handle) was used too late or way above the designed parameter.The pilots 're trained for such emergency exits, and the first thing they 're taught is to keep arms and feet close.
In one such incident airmen on a mission to Afghanistan initiated the ejection sequence on a B-1 bomber that was going down over the Indian Ocean, all four crew members blew out of the airplane. All of 'em ejected at four different times and at four different angles so they wouldn’t hit each other while clearing an airplane that, crippled by “multiple malfunctions" and was going down more than 600 mph. One of the airman lost a full inch in height because his spine absorbed tremendous G-forces. It is one of the most violent forces you will ever face. [r]

So how is it done?
Most of the modern ejection seat is a two-part system. There's an ejection gun which is activated by the pilot by pulling a handle and that gets the seat moving up out of the jet. And once the seat has traveled a meter or two up, then the secondary device kicks off. Most of the US fighter jets have ACES II system while Russian counterpart is called K-36DM. And the minimal ejection altitude (from inverted flight) is about 43m for ACES II and 30m for K-36DM.

What happens when the pilot lands?
The pilot, for obvious reason will not be carrying a rifle. Pilots usually carry a pistol for their safety and there is a survival pack attached to his chute. You can see the survival pack dangling below the pilot on a line in many pilot ejection videos (like this one). The pack is part of the seat cushion and is attached by a lanyard to the pilot's harness. As it is dangling, the pilot can feel it's weight pulling down. Another advantage is, at night or in a water landing, this assists with judging the landing, the pack hits the ground a second or two before the pilot.

1.JPG

An ejection from USAF Thunderbirds number six aircraft by Capt.Christopher Stricklin. This happened less than a second before it impacted the ground at an air show (Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho, September 2003).The pilot ejected after guiding the jet away from the crowd of more than 60K people, the pilot survived without any serious injuries. [r]

There 've been many such spectacular ejections, while some were tragic. But the luckiest ejection goes to an Israeli pilot flying an A4 skyhawk. His last memory of the incident is that he was flying low and fast and the next thing he remembers is that he was on the ground with a bloody helmet and aching head. How and when did he eject?
The culprit in this case, was a not so lucky bird who crashed through the canopy and pilot's helmet, and knocked him unconscious even before he realized it*. The dead bird then hit the ejection handle which ejected the pilot out of the attack jet. How lucky is that?? [r]

* Average human reaction time is .264 sec according to which roads and cars 're designed and pilots usually 've a lower reaction time than average.

There's another pilot whom I would categorize under the most miraculous seat ejection, as he survived ejection at supersonic speed. Capt. Brian Udell had to eject at from his F-15 travelling at supersonic speeds, though the navigator could not survive the ejection.
Video

Trivia:

Highest altitude ejection:

At 80K feet by the crew members of two Lockheed M-21 in the 1966. In the incident, pilot survived but the launch control officer drowned after a water landing [R]

Lowest Altitude ejection:
10-20 feet !! (submerged)

This happened after an engine failure on takeoff, leading to an immediate ditching off the carrier HMS Albion by the pilot Lt. Macfarlane (UK). He went into the sea following a catapult launch and he ejected under the water, suffering slight injuries. [R]

The missing man formation:
The missing man formation is an aerial salute performed as part of a flypast of aircraft at a funeral or memorial event, typically in memory of a fallen pilot. The formation is often called the "missing man flyby" or "flypast".
1.JPG

Compiled from different sources

Last edited:
i came hurriedly to this thread because i thought levina was ejecting out of pdf. :D

but thanks for the thread... is informative, though i will watch the vid later.
Oh!
You think I should change the title?? :lol:

PS:
Edited it now. :-)

Me too thought you were leaving the forum..I was soo happy..:(

An incident narrated by a friend got me curious about seat ejection from fighter jets. This one is compiled from his narration and other articles that I read on net related to seat ejections.
Did you know that one in three pilots face a spine injury after ejecting out?? Or that if the jet is flying low then the pilot risks injury from the air blasts from forward motion as well as up??
If the pilot ejects at a higher altitude (say 20k-30K feet) then his main parachute won't deploy until he gets to a low enough altitude, and it can get cold really fast up there.
Had no idea in the movies they end up completely fine.Thanks for the info.

Had no idea in the movies they end up completely fine.Thanks for the info.
Even I expected that ejecting out would mean the pilot is safe. May be the high survival rates (of 92%) gives a layman such notions.
But then ejecting from a jet at high speed and with gravity working on you several times more than normal, landing back safe would be quite a feat. Now imagine if that happens in an enemy's territory!!!
These pilots must have nerves of steel to take up this profession.

Even I expected that ejecting out would mean the pilot is safe. May be the high survival rates (of 92%) gives a layman such notions.
But then ejecting from a jet at high speed and with gravity working on you several times more than normal, landing back safe would be quite a feat. Now imagine if that happens in an enemy's territory!!!
These pilots must have nerves of steel to take up this profession.
I know it can get so though,used to look so easy.Check this out,very informative How Pilots Survive Inhuman Levels Of G Force - Business Insider so though .

In most cases, Pilot spine get compresses due to ejection and It take times to decompress. Hence that's why after ejection, pilot gets temporarily grounded from flying

In most cases, Pilot spine get compresses due to ejection and It take times to decompress. Hence that's why after ejection, pilot gets temporarily grounded from flying
In the Afghanistan B-1 bomber case, the pilot lost about an inch of height. Can they recover fully?

Navy aviator’s career soars; pilot he downed suffers

By Rowan Scarborough - The Washington Times - Thursday, February 23, 2012

When retired Air Force pilot Mike Ross learned this month that the Navy aviator who shot him down is on a nomination list for the rank of admiral, he had a visceral reaction.

“I almost got sick,” said Col. Ross, 56. “He ruined by life.”

All the horror and pain came rushing back when he read The Washington Times story about NavyCapt. Timothy W. Dorsey’s pending promotion to flag rank. The Pentagon sent his nomination to the Senate Armed Services Committee this month.

This tale of two officers began nearly 25 years ago. Col. Ross, an Air Force captain at the time, was flying his RF-4C reconnaissance jet over the Mediterranean Sea in a NATO non-fire exercise.

He refueled with an Air National Guard aerial tanker and saw Lt. (j.g.)Dorsey’s F-14 Tomcat monitoring him.

“Nothing like cheating,” Capt. Ross recalled thinking after getting back to his squadron at Aviano Air Base, Italy. “This is supposed to be an exercise. You’re supposed to come find me - not sit on my tanker and then chase me for 15 minutes and then shoot me down.”

Back-breaking whiplash

As Capt. Ross approached the aircraft carrier USS Saratoga, Lt. Dorsey literally obeyed a radio command to fire, even though the exercise was planned to be purely simulated. He launched a Sidewinder missile, blowing the RF-4C out of the sky.

A Navy investigation found that Lt. Dorsey knew the RF-4C was friendly, saying his decision to fire was “deliberate” and “illogical.” The Navy banned him from flying, a punishment that at the time would seem to have ended the career of theNavy admiral’s son.

Capt. Ross and his back-seat weapons officer ejected just before the fireball would have killed them.

First the canopy flew off, subjecting Capt. Ross to a strong gravitational force that pushed up his body and exposed his head to a 500-knot wind. The rocket-powered ejection seat slammed beneath him, thrusting him from the cockpit.

The subsequent whiplash took a slow, excruciating toll.

Over the years, his spine degenerated, requiring painkillers and multiple surgeries. The ejection also dislocated his shoulders, broke his left hand and his left knee, and damaged an ankle.

Capt. Ross, who had no history of back problems until the shoot-down, continued his Air Force flying career.

But his degenerating spine worsened. He had his first major back surgery in 1992. Six more would follow as surgeons installed screws, plates and rods to keep a cracked and fragile spine functional.

“I’m not trying to say I flew when I was unable. I never did that,” Col. Rosssaid. “But it got to the point where I started getting myself in positions where I was doing more desk work than flying.”

He decided on a medical discharge in 1997 and retired as a lieutenant colonel.

“My body was breaking down,” he said. “I just couldn’t do it anymore.”

Since then, he has watched as several of his contemporaries, such as Gen. Norton Schwartz, the Air Force chief of staff, attained senior rank.

‘A deliberate act’

Col. Ross said his mentors, performance evaluations and duty assignments would have put him on track to brigadier general or higher. “I had a damned good shot,” he said.

“It’s very interesting that folks like [Lt. Dorsey] get admiral and folks like me who are on a similar track have something like that happen,” Col. Ross said.

He assumed the incident would have ended Lt. Dorsey’s naval career.

After all, the Navy investigative report said: “The September 22, 1987, destruction of USAF RF-4C was not the result of an accident, but the consequence of a deliberate act. His subsequent reaction [to the radio command] demonstrated an absolute disregard of the known facts and circumstances.

“He failed to utilize the decision-making process taught in replacement training and reacted in a purely mechanical manner. The performance ofLieutenant Timothy W. Dorsey on September 22, 1987, raises substantial doubt as to his capacity for good, sound judgment.”

Lt. Dorsey was not punished beyond the ban on flying, nor was he forced to resign.

Instead, he held support jobs and then switched to the Navy Reserve as an intelligence officer while he pursued a law degree. He now works for theNavy inspector general and is due to lead an intelligence unit in Norfolk, Va.

“It was an unfortunate incident that occurred when I was a rookie naval aviator,” he told the Virginian Pilot on Tuesday. “I regret that it occurred, but I have worked very hard over the years since that time.”

Last week, the nominee for admiral declined to be interviewed by The Washington Times.

“I’m going to have to decline to talk right now, based on the kind of job I’m going to be taking,” he said. “I’m not really big on talking to press for anything.

“It means heading up some intel factions. So it’s really not something I would typically do. … I [would] rather not see my name in the paper at all right now because of the job I’m getting ready to take. A lack of press is good on what I’m getting ready to do.”

Col. Ross, a Milton, Ga., resident, estimates he has spent well over $100,000 on medical bills, paid by depleting his savings. He lives on Air Force retirement benefits and Social Security disability checks.

In one of his dozens of surgeries, doctors three years ago performed an anterior lumbar interbody fusion. Surgeons “removed my guts” during the eight-hour operation to reach his spine, then put them back, he said.

In 2010, a flight surgeon who had begun treating him in 1991 wrote on his behalf to the Department of Veterans Affairs, which was reviewing his disability status.

“I would like to assure you that indeed his current medical problems and level of disability are unquestionably and completely attributable to his combat-related shoot down and the subsequent injuries he received in the following high-speed ejection,” wrote Lt. Col. Scott Phillips. “He can no longer walk more than a few yards without assistance.”

After being fished from the Mediterranean, Capt. Ross ended up on the Saratoga minutes after Lt. Dorsey landed his F-14.

“I’ve never heard from him,” Col. Ross said. “He didn’t come over and apologize on the boat or anything.”

Navy aviator's career soars; pilot he downed suffers - Washington Times

In the Afghanistan B-1 bomber case, the pilot lost about an inch of height. Can they recover fully?

Depends. Combination of surgeries and physio therapies would heal it but it takes time

Ejecting from a jet aircraft is a highly risky affair. In a discovery documentary they showed how the body of a pilot inside a supersonic jet cockpit would react without the protective suit worn. Many of you guys would never want to be pilots if you seen that footage. The spine, neck, back are put under tremendous pressure. In high G-force maneuvers pilots are known to lose consciousness inside the cockpit because the brain gets too flooded or too less blood. And these are pilots who have several hours of flying experience.

Being an air force pilot is no joke.

Sometimes it can go horribly wrong but in this case, the airman survived.

LT Keith Gallagher is seen above the canopy as the A-6 aircraft touches down on the deck of the Lincoln.
Note that LT Gallagher's parachute has deployed and is wrapped around the tail of the aircraft.(Navy photo)

A6_Landing_LT_Gallagher_1_closer.jpg

A6_Landing_LT_Gallagher_1.jpg

Sometimes it can go horribly wrong but in this case, the airman survived.

LT Keith Gallagher is seen above the canopy as the A-6 aircraft touches down on the deck of the Lincoln.
Note that LT Gallagher's parachute has deployed and is wrapped around the tail of the aircraft.(Navy photo)

A6_Landing_LT_Gallagher_1_closer.jpg

A6_Landing_LT_Gallagher_1.jpg

By the way He landed on a AC!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom