Featured Eid on the front-lines: the best Eid I ever had

jaibi

SENIOR MODERATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Eid on the front-lines: the best Eid I ever had
pdf eid.jpg

Every day I was learning something new and there was not much time to incorporate that knowledge as Eid was coming. It was two days ago when I got the call from a senior asking me if it was possible for me to stay because another officer had a small family emergency and hailed from a region much further away from me. I had experienced other officers, much senior to me being very liberal in their support for someone in need and it was something I could not refuse.

I called home and told them I would not be able to make it this Eid and to my surprise my father was enthusiastic saying, ‘Do your job, son, we’re proud of you!’

Desi families aren’t supposed to be like that.

A free formation

The entire world changes when you’re the senior most officer in the formation. I was well liked so even the NCOs were quite happy that it was me who was staying back.

The vast empty offices and roads which we weren’t allowed to traverse felt extremely powerful to move around on.

It was quite an exhilarating experience especially signing papers in place of men much senior to me. Trust me now I know why some bureaucrats go crazy; I never thought just a sign could feel so empowering.

Experiencing your 2IC

Go to any office, any mechanic shop, any restaurant or dhaba and you’ll experience the 2IC the second man in-charge. He’s the one most people will dread because even though you wield authority he is the one who boasts about it the most. I had the fortune of having a much nicer junior be my second in-charge.

As documents came for signing, calls to be made, decisions to be done; he’d always look at my hand and seeing it free of a cigarette he’d readily offer me my favorite brand.

Prompt, ‘Sir ji, please.’ As he lit the lighter.

Being the boss is good.

Meaning of the boss

It was the evening and I got a call, ‘sir, tomorrow prayer timings have been issued, I shall send a car and I’ve prepared some points for you.’

Points for me?

After Eid prayers I was supposed to talk to the troops. I was as prepared as you are for your first board examinations. I read the paper like a robot not knowing what else to do but I saw everyone looking at me. I felt like saying something.

‘You know, I’ve never left my home city for more than a few days before my service. People around me used to say that people from each region are quite different in one way or another but I think they never really travelled either. As I’ve been with all of you for the few days I look around and I honestly don’t see a Sindhi, Punjabi, Balochi, Saraiki, Gilgati or Pakhtun; yet at the same time I see all of you. I’ve learned your beautiful languages, heard about your villages, seen the pictures of your children, wives and families. All so different but all so same at the same time. I cannot thank you enough for this experience; I’ve never felt this welcome from anywhere else. I feel at home at each region and I truly feel that I belong to a big family. So, not as your officer but as your fellow citizen, I thank each and every one of you for not making me miss home and giving me a new family of brothers! Eid Mubarak my dearest brothers! I promise to always keep this feeling in my heart and be the man all of you expect me to be and help you all to be the men you aspire to be! Pakistan Zindabad!’

This was followed by cheerful shouts and praises to Allah.

A BBQ never to miss
bbq pdf.PNG

The fresh meat was prepared and served in the evening as we sat around a grand fire, it was done in the traditional ways of Punjabi grandiosity, Sindhi flavors, Balochi techniques and Pakhtun zeal. I tasted food from all over Pakistan by best cooks from each region making them. My mouth still waters.

Along with that it is of course mandatory to have tea and my vice: smokes.

It was dark now and in that fire-lit environment with the clearest of skies I had many troops open up about the scars they’d carried. The friends they’d lost. The struggles of their families and the isolation sometimes they felt.

I did my best to hear everyone and tell people who wanted privacy that we’ll schedule something.

It was at this moment that I realized how privileged I have been. Majority of my friends wanted to go to the West, they wanted to go to better universities, better jobs, move to better cars, get better spouses everything was arched on this innate dissatisfaction of where they were.

In my youth, so was I but I don’t think you age by time but by experience. This was my time to grow.

I had been extremely fortunate to study and all the troubles of my life felt minuscule in front of theirs. I felt like I had never been grateful before as I felt so right now.

I’ve never been a fan of feeling guilt or gratitude or much of anything unless you can use it to fuel something in you. I felt that right now, I may not have been the best, or the most qualified but I was the only one here. It was never about being the best as much of society always seems to tell you but doing your best!

Finding meaning

It was like an Eurika moment for me. This seemed so natural; in my mind I started developing therapeutic plans for each and every one who came to talk to me. Even if I have a few seconds with them, I must leave them better than they came in. They see me as a leader and that does not mean power but responsibility. I am not older than most of them, I am not fitter than most of them, I am not better trained that most of them but I am entrusted with more responsibility.

My gratefulness will be to be the best officer I can be and my primary role is that to be a military psychologist. I will do my best from here onward.

That feeling has never left me. In the tribulations of life that I faced; I always go back to the best Eid I have ever had.

I hope this little personal piece finds you well and helps you in your times of need.

Thank you Sir for being here on this forum and serving the motherland in your capacity.

I wish more Pakistanis think like you so our dream of all inclusiveness beyond the boundaries of ethincity, caste and creed becomes a reality one day.

It all starts with us, brother. Love and respect.
Thank you Sir for being here on this forum and serving the motherland in your capacity.

I wish more Pakistanis think like you so our dream of all inclusiveness beyond the boundaries of ethincity, caste and creed becomes a reality one day.

View attachment 659111
Every day I was learning something new and there was not much time to incorporate that knowledge as Eid was coming. It was two days ago when I got the call from a senior asking me if it was possible for me to stay because another officer had a small family emergency and hailed from a region much further away from me. I had experienced other officers, much senior to me being very liberal in their support for someone in need and it was something I could not refuse.

I called home and told them I would not be able to make it this Eid and to my surprise my father was enthusiastic saying, ‘Do your job, son, we’re proud of you!’

A free formation

The entire world changes when you’re the senior most officer in the formation. I was well liked so even the NCOs were quite happy that it was me who was staying back.

The vast empty offices and roads which we weren’t allowed to traverse felt extremely powerful to move around on.

It was quite an exhilarating experience especially signing papers in place of men much senior to me. Trust me now I know why some bureaucrats go crazy; I never thought just a sign could feel so empowering.

Experiencing your 2IC

Go to any office, any mechanic shop, any restaurant or dhaba and you’ll experience the 2IC the second man in-charge. He’s the one most people will dread because even though you wield authority he is the one who boasts about it the most. I had the fortune of having a much nicer junior be my second in-charge.

As documents came for signing, calls to be made, decisions to be done; he’d always look at my hand and seeing it free of a cigarette he’d readily offer me my favorite brand.

Being the boss is good.

Meaning of the boss

It was the evening and I got a call, ‘sir, tomorrow prayer timings have been issued, I shall send a car and I’ve prepared some points for you.’

Points for me?

After Eid prayers I was supposed to talk to the troops. I was as prepared as you are for your first board examinations. I read the paper like a robot not knowing what else to do but I saw everyone looking at me. I felt like saying something.

‘You know, I’ve never left my home city for more than a few days before my service. People around me used to say that people from each region are quite different in one way or another but I think they never really travelled either. As I’ve been with all of you for the few days I look around and I honestly don’t see a Sindhi, Punjabi, Balochi, Saraiki, Gilgati or Pakhtun; yet at the same time I see all of you. I’ve learned your beautiful languages, heard about your villages, seen the pictures of your children, wives and families. All so different but all so same at the same time. I cannot thank you enough for this experience; I’ve never felt this welcome from anywhere else. I feel at home at each region and I truly feel that I belong to a big family. So, not as your officer but as your fellow citizen, I thank each and every one of you for not making me miss home and giving me a new family of brothers! Eid Mubarak my dearest brothers! I promise to always keep this feeling in my heart and be the man all of you expect me to be and help you all to be the men you aspire to be! Pakistan Zindabad!’

A BBQ never to miss
View attachment 659112
The fresh meat was prepared and served in the evening as we sat around a grand fire, it was done in the traditional ways of Punjabi grandiosity, Sindhi flavors, Balochi techniques and Pakhtun zeal. I tasted food from all over Pakistan by best cooks from each region making them. My mouth still waters.

It was dark now and in that fire-lit environment with the clearest of skies I had many troops open up about the scars they’d carried. The friends they’d lost. The struggles of their families and the isolation sometimes they felt.

I did my best to hear everyone and tell people who wanted privacy that we’ll schedule something.

It was at this moment that I realized how privileged I have been. Majority of my friends wanted to go to the West, they wanted to go to better universities, better jobs, move to better cars, get better spouses everything was arched on this innate dissatisfaction of where they were.

In my youth, so was I but I don’t think you age by time but by experience. This was my time to grow.

I had been extremely fortunate to study and all the troubles of my life felt minuscule in front of theirs. I felt like I had never been grateful before as I felt so right now.

I’ve never been a fan of feeling guilt or gratitude or much of anything unless you can use it to fuel something in you. I felt that right now, I may not have been the best, or the most qualified but I was the only one here. It was never about being the best as much of society always seems to tell you but doing your best!

Finding meaning

It was like an Eurika moment for me. This seemed so natural; in my mind I started developing therapeutic plans for each and every one who came to talk to me. Even if I have a few seconds with them, I must leave them better than they came in. They see me as a leader and that does not mean power but responsibility. I am not older than most of them, I am not fitter than most of them, I am not better trained that most of them but I am entrusted with more responsibility.

My gratefulness will be to be the best officer I can be and my primary role is that to be a military psychologist. I will do my best from here onward.

That feeling has never left me. In the tribulations of life that I faced; I always go back to the best Eid I have ever had.

I hope this little personal piece finds you well and helps you in your times of need.
Sunan an-Nasa'i 3167
It was narrated from Salman Al-Khair that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
"Whoever guards Ribat (the frontier) for one day and one night, will be given a reward like that for fasting and praying Qiyam for a month, and whoever dies at Ribat (guarding the frontier) will be rewarded, and he will be given provision, and he will be kept safe from Al-Fattan." [1] [1] According to As-Sindi, the preferred pronunciation is Al-Fattan, plural of Fatan refering to Al-Munkar and An-Nakir, while Al-Fattan would refer to Ash-Shaitan or the like, among the punishment of the grave, or, the angels of chastisement.

قَالَ الْحَارِثُ بْنُ مِسْكِينٍ قِرَاءَةً عَلَيْهِ وَأَنَا أَسْمَعُ، عَنِ ابْنِ وَهْبٍ، أَخْبَرَنِي عَبْدُ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنُ شُرَيْحٍ، عَنْ عَبْدِ الْكَرِيمِ بْنِ الْحَارِثِ، عَنْ أَبِي عُبَيْدَةَ بْنِ عُقْبَةَ، عَنْ شُرَحْبِيلَ بْنِ السِّمْطِ، عَنْ سَلْمَانَ الْخَيْرِ، عَنْ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ مَنْ رَابَطَ يَوْمًا وَلَيْلَةً فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ كَانَ لَهُ كَأَجْرِ صِيَامِ شَهْرٍ وَقِيَامِهِ وَمَنْ مَاتَ مُرَابِطًا أُجْرِيَ لَهُ مِثْلُ ذَلِكَ مِنَ الأَجْرِ وَأُجْرِيَ عَلَيْهِ الرِّزْقُ وَأَمِنَ مِنَ الْفَتَّانِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏
Grade : Sahih (Darussalam)
Reference : Sunan an-Nasa'i 3167
In-book reference : Book 25, Hadith 83
English translation : Vol. 1, Book 25, Hadith 3169

Not being a military professional, I dare not comment.

During my long carrier, I have on one occasion run a large oil storage terminal employing more than 100 engineering & skilled regular staff and quite a few contract laborers.

Since good housekeeping and safety is of paramount importance, I made sure that I personally chaired all the meetings on safety. Most of the other work was largely delegated, however, I would support all of my staff in the presence of outsiders and never insult anyone in the presence of others. All 'chewing up' was done on one to basis if any of my assistants was culpable.

In my other senior assignments, the staff was fewer in number but were professional engineers and the managerial work consisted mostly of liaison between the departments and ensuring that the jobs were satisfactorily performed. I was what the books define as 'Psychological distant manager'. Implying a cordial & fair relationship but never too chummy with the subordinates.

It would be quite different in the services where the leaders are often sending the juniors to their deaths. You should, therefore, lead by example and make men under your command trust you with their lives. The above example indicates how it should be done.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Yes leadership position, specially when you are leading men who are way junior to you in many ways is lonely, demanding, and a huge responsibility. But I must say so here, dividends and sense of satisfaction for good leaders, is immense, nothing can beat that sense of accomplishment.

Thank you for your service Sir!! You rock in my book!!!!!

Sir, thank you so much, your words humble me. What you say is spot on. There's no other feeling than the one which makes you feel that your presence means something here. It's something not many, sadly, get to feel.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Yes leadership position, specially when you are leading men who are way junior to you in many ways is lonely, demanding, and a huge responsibility. But I must say so here, dividends and sense of satisfaction for good leaders, is immense, nothing can beat that sense of accomplishment.

Thank you for your service Sir!! You rock in my book!!!!!

You are a lucky man @jaibi

This was kind of you to share this all with us.

Did you know the word "friend" in french is "copain"...which literally means someone you break bread with? @Vergennes

Of course brothers serving together in military are another level for this. It is probably with you folks you most directly harness what ignited human civilisation in first place...also around fires in the dark with food to be shared....the trials and tribulations that were witnessed and that linger....

All those millennia of previous wandering before we tamed and understood fire.... and we finally started to make use of our human potential when we shared the experiences of good and bad we saw and did (while partaking of a great need of nourishment physically at same time), so that we may organise well and survive together....support and heal each other.

You warriors today likely make the strongest direct link to our earliest forefathers when you engage in this camaraderie in these deep spiritual ways I would say....how you helped and cared for your brothers in arms, and how they helped and cared for you.

Words cannot really be used to describe it fully in the end I would imagine...what it means to the human soul.

View attachment 659111

A free formation

Experiencing your 2IC

Being the boss is good.

Meaning of the boss

Points for me?

A BBQ never to miss
View attachment 659112

Finding meaning

I only just got round to reading this. Bloody brilliant.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom