What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

The end of cash flow financing has ended any large scale deals through the FMF programme. There are also restrictions on non counter terror related purchases through the FMF.

Similar instances have happened several times before, though. It even happened in the middle of the 24 F-16 block 52 delivery from Obama himself. Of course at the behest of the rest of the Democrats in congress. However, the Republicans currently control the majority of the branches and if Trump is happy, he can easily influence things to go the other way and reinstate the funding. That's why I mentioned the Trump/Sisi relationship and if the fight on terrorism is center stage, and it would be something that pulls Egypt away from its recent EURO/Russia trend and re-introduce US jet fighters to Egypt, all of this could sway the pendulum in that direction.

I also think that the whole Rafale endeavor was greatly influenced by the fact that the F-16's run was coming to an end as well as the weapon's restrictions and of course, the F-35's unavailability to us by any stretch of the imagination. So the French fighter was literally the next best thing and not so much an end to US purchases.

The US does have a tendency to come back around after doing their bitching thing, and don't forget they signed the CISMOA and Bright Star is back in play. A similar example of that trend.

Legislative action by Congress also means that the actual amount of aid to Egypt has dropped to below 1B USD.

Patrick Leahy has always done this. It's his job to find these situations and make a stink out of them (and rightfully so), but notice how it says "cutting aid to Egypt AND Israel"? I don't think it will stick and eventually the few hundred million $ end up back in the mix.

Any future deals involving expensive and conventional weaponry would have to involve Egypt paying out of its own pocket, that's not happening if things stay as they are. All that money is going to Europe and Russia.

That's definitely not happening I agree. I think the main thing is how the Egyptian brass handles all these issues. Coming up with compensation to the injured American and all those other restitution issues shouldn't be a problem at all, and they should do them. Giving the US full access to Sinai and what essentially mounts to military inspections is a whole other problem which I doubt Sisi will allow. We'll have to wait and see how they deal with that.

Either way, if they try and it doesn't work, the whole weapon's package is a big issue, to me, anyway. And with the exorbitant cost of the Rafales (and seeing that they should end up with 48 aircraft is amazing in of itself), having reentered the Russian domain with those 50 MiG-35s and no issues with getting the R-73/77s, it makes all the sense in the world to go with the Su-35s. Just like @The SC has been touting for over a year now and I gave him a hard time about that, but he was spot on! Sorry, SC, bro. :D

Armed EAF AT-802U over Sinai.

DieaeqpW4AA9Yti.jpg

@Gomig-21 I have a question
I know the Egyptian air defense is based on "layers" making it harder for an enemy AF to come in and conduct an airstrike, but will the S-400/Pantsir-S1 be acquired considering you guys have BUK-M2E, TOR-M1 as well as putting interest in the BUK-M3?
will you guys also acquire the KM-SAM or S-350 for a medium range air defense?

I know the Egyptian air defense is based on "layers" making it harder for an enemy AF to come in and conduct an airstrike, but will the S-400/Pantsir-S1 be acquired considering you guys have BUK-M2E, TOR-M1 as well as putting interest in the BUK-M3?
Egypt already has the pantsir and the S-300VM both are deployed, s-400 could be bought but I highly doubt it since egyptian command would favour something mobile like the S-300VM.

Thanks, bro. It's possible that the S-400 might be in the EAD's sights somewhere down the line, but not at the moment. There were some rumors that they were interested in it and were talking to the Russians about possibly a contract for it, but then it turned out to be talks for additional S-300VM. So we know that at the least they are interested in increasing the 3 divisions of the S-300VM anyway and that's the extent of medium range SAMs in the EAD as far as we know.

It would be good to see them show interest in the Pantsir. That's exactly right along the lines of how they like to operate their systems, with complete, mobile & command units and the Pantsir is ideal for that. But they seem to be really really happy with the BUK-M1/2 and I can see why. Those missiles have to be the fastest ones I've seen out of any other system. The rocket boosters on those are out of this world. So my guess is more BUKs and maybe even the newer M3. But as far as anything along the Pantsir line, I can only hope that they're thinking of the CWS version of the Pantsir and not a SAM system, because they need it badly for the 2 Mistrals.

Egypt already has the pantsir and the S-300VM both are deployed, s-400 could be bought but I highly doubt it since egyptian command would favour something mobile like the S-300VM.

I don't think we have or operate the Pantsir, my bro. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks, bro. It's possible that the S-400 might be in the EAD's sights somewhere down the line, but not at the moment. There were some rumors that they were interested in it and were talking to the Russians about possibly a contract for it, but then it turned out to be talks for additional S-300VM. So we know that at the least they are interested in increasing the 3 divisions of the S-300VM anyway and that's the extent of medium range SAMs in the EAD as far as we know.

It would be good to see them show interest in the Pantsir. That's exactly right along the lines of how they like to operate their systems, with complete, mobile & command units and the Pantsir is ideal for that. But they seem to be really really happy with the BUK-M1/2 and I can see why. Those missiles have to be the fastest ones I've seen out of any other system. The rocket boosters on those are out of this world. So my guess is more BUKs and maybe even the newer M3. But as far as anything along the Pantsir line, I can only hope that they're thinking of the CWS version of the Pantsir and not a SAM system, because they need it badly for the 2 Mistrals.

I don't think we have or operate the Pantsir, my bro. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
No Pantsir.. since Egypt makes its own short range ADS Tayr A Sabah

Report: Islamic State group leader killed in Egypt’s Sinai

Jul. 23, 2018

CAIRO (AP) — The Islamic State group says one of the leaders of its affiliate in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula has been killed.

The militant group’s Aamaq news agency issued an announcement late on Sunday about the death of Abu Jaafar al-Maqdesi, calling him a martyr.

https://www.apnews.com/b9ced87c215b...ic-State-group-leader-killed-in-Egypt's-Sinai

Back
Top Bottom