What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

That is the reason why EAF is seeking partnership with JF-17 program. Egypt can neither afford or has the technical capability as of now,to develop an advance fighter air craft. It would make more sense to join an established program. Egypt even,if develops its own BVRAAM,wont be able to integrate it on the F-16s as the Americans will not allow source code access.
They have to go to Russians and Start buying Fighter Planes of 4.5 Generation in small numbers which have BVR technology

They have to go to Russians and Start buying Fighter Planes of 4.5 Generation in small numbers which have BVR technology

That's the only solution if they want to counter Israel. But Russia won't simply sell them this technology without a collateral. The US might also threaten to decrease the foreign aid for egypts military as a result.

As of now the only country able to sell unrestricted BVR tech to either Egypt or Iraq is us. Russians will seek more leverage,as Yanks are not happy with the Govt in cairo. Pakistan will provide top notch unrestricted BVR capability supply,5th gen HOBS with JFTs and with unrestricted local support and spares.

There is a reason why EAF is willing to shake hands with us instead of buying Russian stuff that means kissing the Kremlin too. I hope to see our bird flying in Egypt soon enough.

As of now the only country able to sell unrestricted BVR tech to either Egypt or Iraq is us. Russians will seek more leverage,as Yanks are not happy with the Govt in cairo. Pakistan will provide top notch unrestricted BVR capability supply,5th gen HOBS with JFTs and with unrestricted local support and spares.

There is a reason why EAF is willing to shake hands with us instead of buying Russian stuff that means kissing the Kremlin too. I hope to see our bird flying in Egypt soon enough.

Not unless we find a non-Russian engine for the JF-17 or get their permission to re-export their engines.

Not unless we find a non-Russian engine for the JF-17 or get their permission to re-export their engines.

Russians so far have no problem with exporting RD-93s, they are making the buck out of it,if they didn't wana make money out of it the won't be developing a 9.5T RD93MA for 'an export customer'.

However i expect the WS-13 to be certified by 2017-18. Around the time,we may start delivering JFTs to Egypt.

Russians so far has no problem with exporting RD-93s, they are making the buck out of it. However i expect the WS-13 to be certified by 2017-18. Around the time,we may start delivering JFTs to Egypt.

I can guarantee you that Russians will have a problem as soon as JF-17 tries to compete with their business with an established customer like Egypt. However, once we have the WS-13 version, then I can agree with you.

I can guarantee you that Russians will have a problem as soon as JF-17 tries to compete with their business with an established customer like Egypt.

Russkis have no competetive product to match Thunder's cost to performance ratio. Besides the fact that it will outgun the Fulcurum at any given day.

However, once we have the WS-13 version, then I can agree with you.

We wont be ready for deliveries before 2017-18 anyway,so Tahihang will just be in time.

Russkis have no competetive product to match Thunder's cost to performance ratio. Besides the fact that it will outgun the Fulcurum at any given day.

We wont be ready for deliveries before 2017-18 anyway,so Tahihang will just be in time.

Exactly why I said that. If the Russian have nothing to compete, or something inferior to offer, surely they will try everything to knock out a competitor like the JF-17 out of the market so that they can retain their old customers. The way to do that would be to deny engine re-export licenses for the RD-93s from Pakistan.

Unless of course the WS-13 is ready and available from China.

^ EAF needs are urgent and dire,im sure they will not take such a decision by Russians lightly,IF it comes to that.Im hopeful about ws-13 as AVIC needs to power the J-31 with the same engine.

^ EAF needs are urgent and dire,im sure they will not take such a decision by Russians lightle,IF it comes to that.

I am sure Egyptians will keep their own national interests first in mind when they decide about the JF-17, in view of the improving brotherly relationship with Pakistan after President Morsi's recent visit.

Indeed we have a responsibility to bloster Egyptian defenses in any way we can as they are a friendly and brotherly nation. However,the JF-17 is a Lamborghini for its price, it packs a potent array of modern capabilities,designed to provide the biggest bang for the buck on the international arms market. The baby dragon will sell upon its own merit inshallah.

@Argus Panoptes

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed we have a responsibility to bloster Egyptian defenses in any way we can as they are a friendly and brotherly nation. However,the JF-17 is a Lamborghini for its price, it packs a potent array of modern capabilities,designed to provide the biggest bang for the buck on the international arms market. The baby dragon will sell upon its own merit inshallah.

@argus panopte

Inshallah.

Except that lots of political entanglements usually come into play that can sometimes trump merit alone when it comes to large international arms deals. I think you will agree that it is a dirty market.

Inshallah.

Except that lots of political entanglements usually come into play that can sometimes trump merit alone when it comes to large international arms deals. I think you will agree that it is a dirty market.

I,concur. Lets hope for the best and prepare for the worst. As far as my little reading and sources suggest,the chances of the baby dragon soaring in the Egyptian skies,are bright.

I,concur. Lets hope for the best and prepare for the worst. As far as my little reading and sources suggest,the chances of the baby dragon soaring in the Egyptian skies,are bright.

Inshallah.

Egyptian JF-17s flying against their Israelis foes would be a great opportunity for us and China to study its performance against the best US hardware and Israeli tactics so that we can improve it further.

Does the Egyptian air force have BVR missiles on their f16s ?

SInce 1982, Egypt has received the following BVRAAMs (according to Sipri)

France
R: Egypt (80) Super-530F BVRAAM (1984) 1986-1988 (80) For Mirage-2000 combat aircraft
(16) Super-530F BVRAAM (1998) 1998-2000 16 Designation uncertain; possibly ex-French
USA
R: Egypt 282 AIM-7M Sparrow BVRAAM (1987) 1991-1992 (282) Deal worth $42 m; for F-16C combat aircraft
271 AIM-7M Sparrow BVRAAM 1996 1996-1997 (271) Deal worth $80 m; for F-16C combat aircraft

In addition, the following SRAAMs
France
R: Egypt (180) R-550 Magic-1 SRAAM 1977 1980-1983 (180) For Mirage-5 combat aircraft
(120) R-550 Magic-1 SRAAM 1983 1986-1987 (120) For Mirage-2000 combat aircraft
USA
R: Egypt 300 AIM-9L/M Sidewinder SRAAM 1982 1983 300 AIM-9L version
300 AIM-9L/M Sidewinder SRAAM 1982 1983 300 $34 m; AIM-9L version; for F-16 combat aircraft
150 AIM-9L/M Sidewinder SRAAM 1983 1984-1985 (150) $20 m deal; AIM-9L version
(5000) AIM-9J/P Sidewinder SRAAM (1984) 1986-2000 (5000) AIM-9P3 and AIM-9P4 version; assembled from kits in Egypt
560 AIM-9L/M Sidewinder SRAAM 1986 1987-1989 (560) $42 m deal; AIM-9L version; for F-16 combat aircraft
314 AIM-9L/M Sidewinder SRAAM 1996 1998-1999 (314) $34 m deal; AIM-9M version
414 AIM-9L/M Sidewinder SRAAM 2003 2005-2006 (414) $38 m deal; AIM-9M-2 version

In addition some Sparrow and Sidewinder from US for ground applications (Sky Guard and Chapparal) and Aspide for the navy's Spanish designed Descubierta frigates

AIM-7M Sparrow
Guidance: SARH
Operational range: AIM-7F/M: 50 kilometres (31 mi) / AIM-7E2/Skyflash/Aspide 45 kilometres (28 mi)

Back
Top Bottom