What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

This first pic really exemplifies the name of the exercise between the Russian and Egyptian paratroopers, "Defenders of Friendship 2021".

1636241573023.png

1636241782763.png

1636241815171.png

This one SeaKing has a new paint job, a brighter yellow than the standard desert sand color like the Jeep.
1636241888306.png

1636245583168.png

1636246680671.png

1636246858791.png

1636246715531.png

1636246735828.png

1636241935499.png

The Russians conducted a heavy parachute drop of 4 BMD-2KA-U Infantry fighting Vehicles (IFVs) from one of their II-76MD military transport planes, using the PBS-916 parachute strap-down system. Makes me wonder if the EAF's stretch IL-76 it acquired from Jordan has the same or similar heavy parachute drop system? Or if they can use their C-130 ones with the IL-76?
1636242169781.png

Check out the open personnel parachute access door on the starboard side. You don't see that very often. Also must have quite the locking mechanism to stay open like that with all that wind pressure on it. Very cool pic IMO.
1636242148079.png

Last edited:
IMG-20211105-WA0229.jpg

The upgrades of the Egyptian T-62

RO-115 Mark I: developed in the early 1980s. While retaining the Soviet 115 mm gun, more powerful ammunition allows engaging a target at greater range. Some main guns were replaced with the Royal Ordnance L7 105 mm gun as offered by the Austrian firm NORICUM. Other modifications included a British diesel engine developing 750 hp (559 kW), a two-plane stabilizer, ballistic computer, laser rangefinder in an armored box over the main armament, a cluster of six smoke grenade launchers on the right side of the turret, a fire control system from BMP-3 IFV and additional armour including reactive armour. The upgrades resulted in an increase of weight to 43 tons.

T-62E Mark II: Mid 1990s Egyptian refurbishment and modernization program. The tanks were fitted with a license-built German MTU engine developing 880 hp (656 kW). The tanks are armed with a license-built 105 mm M68 tank gun, an Italian fire control system with ballistics computer, infrared vision device, laser rangefinder, gun stabiliser, additional armour including reactive armour, armored side skirts, modernized suspension and six smoke grenade launchers on each side of the turret. It has an upgraded NBC (nuclear, biological, and chemical) protection system. The T-62E Mark II carries two Egyptian-made two-round anti-tank missile launchers, or two 2-round launchers for 80 mm D-3000 smoke rockets on an encroachment extension, or a box-type launcher holding two Sakr smoke missiles on each side of the turret.[23] The upgrade did not change the weight of the tank, which remained at 45 tons.

RO-120 Mark III: T-62 tank upgrade developed in 2004. This upgrade arms the tank with the 120 mm M-393 tank gun developed by FSUE. The gun is 5.30 m long and weighs 2.6 tonnes. It can be elevated or depressed between −7° and +15°. The tank has a new license-built German MTU engine developing 890 hp (664 kW) and additional armour, including reactive armour and armored side skirts. The upgrades resulted in a weight increase to 46.5 tons. This upgrade was completed by the end of 2008.

2jhmz7lm0hj41.jpg

Thought it was the other way around because russia has no choice but to upgrade the crap out of them to reach parity with the U.S.

Funny you asked about those two and just today a Russian aviation enthusiast on Twitter posted this side-by-side comparison photo. Thought of you instantaneously as soon as I saw this pic. Click for larger high res and you can see at least design differences, such as the girth of the wings, the radome shape differences, angle of vertical stabilizer, whiskers and dome shape on the B1. Other than those, pretty similar until maybe specs are different as far as payload, range etc.

1636350015346.png

Last edited:
IMG-20211105-WA0229.jpg

The upgrades of the Egyptian T-62

RO-115 Mark I: developed in the early 1980s. While retaining the Soviet 115 mm gun, more powerful ammunition allows engaging a target at greater range. Some main guns were replaced with the Royal Ordnance L7 105 mm gun as offered by the Austrian firm NORICUM. Other modifications included a British diesel engine developing 750 hp (559 kW), a two-plane stabilizer, ballistic computer, laser rangefinder in an armored box over the main armament, a cluster of six smoke grenade launchers on the right side of the turret, a fire control system from BMP-3 IFV and additional armour including reactive armour. The upgrades resulted in an increase of weight to 43 tons.

T-62E Mark II: Mid 1990s Egyptian refurbishment and modernization program. The tanks were fitted with a license-built German MTU engine developing 880 hp (656 kW). The tanks are armed with a license-built 105 mm M68 tank gun, an Italian fire control system with ballistics computer, infrared vision device, laser rangefinder, gun stabiliser, additional armour including reactive armour, armored side skirts, modernized suspension and six smoke grenade launchers on each side of the turret. It has an upgraded NBC (nuclear, biological, and chemical) protection system. The T-62E Mark II carries two Egyptian-made two-round anti-tank missile launchers, or two 2-round launchers for 80 mm D-3000 smoke rockets on an encroachment extension, or a box-type launcher holding two Sakr smoke missiles on each side of the turret.[23] The upgrade did not change the weight of the tank, which remained at 45 tons.

RO-120 Mark III: T-62 tank upgrade developed in 2004. This upgrade arms the tank with the 120 mm M-393 tank gun developed by FSUE. The gun is 5.30 m long and weighs 2.6 tonnes. It can be elevated or depressed between −7° and +15°. The tank has a new license-built German MTU engine developing 890 hp (664 kW) and additional armour, including reactive armour and armored side skirts. The upgrades resulted in a weight increase to 46.5 tons. This upgrade was completed by the end of 2008.

2jhmz7lm0hj41.jpg
I've done some research bout these, I cant spot the reactive armor, and whats the name of the armor?

I hope Egypt can get Su-35 but I highly doubt it. Russia is a wuss and terrified of CAATSA. I think Egypt will operate Su-35 in Russia, at least for the time being.

I hope Egypt can get Su-35 but I highly doubt it. Russia is a wuss and terrified of CAATSA. I think Egypt will operate Su-35 in Russia, at least for the time being.
Idk bout that, if anything, they may outwait this admin so that they can physicly bring them on egyptian sands, but I find that doubtful, if the next administration is lenient or not. Point being, they bought them and will bring em in one way or another

Idk bout that, if anything, they may outwait this admin so that they can physicly bring them on egyptian sands, but I find that doubtful, if the next administration is lenient or not. Point being, they bought them and will bring em in one way or another

CAATSA is a law passed by Congress. Unless Congress passes another law to phase out CAATSA.

This might look strange for newbies.. but not that strange in the context of the previous deep cooperation with NK..

View attachment 788428

There really is only one explanation to this modification which is turning this AIM-7 Sparrow from a semi-active homing missile to an active homing missile, similar to what the Ukrainians did with the R-27R into the R-27AE. It already has a proximity fuse so it wouldn't need that modification, and besides, that wouldn't be in the form of that larger conehead.

It's quite obvious that the larger cone means it has a larger built-in radar and seeker making it capable of activating its own radar once it's fired from its predetermined range and not requiring a constant illumination from the launching platform, in this case, the EAF's F-16.

I haven't seen this on any of the US Navy AIM-7 Sparrows which begs the question if this is a local modification or a non-Egyptian or American modification.

The Su-35SE & CAATSA issue has not yet come up, although they did mention the US is supporting Egypt with regards to the Ethiopian dam and encourage a meeting to resolve the issue. They also seem hung up on the human rights issue. I'm not sure we will hear anything regarding the Su-35SE whichever direction/decision they chose to go with and we'll just have to wait and see.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom