What's new

Egypt to Buy Spy Satellite, Two MRTT Aircraft from France

The deal with Italy on a radar satellite SAR .. most likely will be on the latest csg version, which is distinguished by the AESA antenna with double modules, great updates from the previous version, and a shelf life of 7 years..This satellite is also part of the second latest generation of the COSMO-SkyMed program, which, according to Tactical Report Egypt want to participate in it..

CSG_still_cam_003_earth-21100.jpg

These work best in constellations.. so one is just a start..Egypt will buy at least two..

Last edited:
The South Koreans are too dependent on the US on the technology that they develop. They almost need the USA in everything Security, and developing advanced technology. I have to totally agree with @Smarana Mitra. I would rather prefer the french or russia.

Have the contracts been signed too? I thought they are still in negotiation and will be signed too. Anyways i do hope that they definitely signed it.
Yes true somehow for some very advanced sensors.. but they develop theirs at the same time..

It was said that it was along the deal of the new 30 Rafale..

It has approved the sale..

There are apparently lots of people of twitter that are twitting Egyptian Rafale's don't include scalp and meteor and that it has been blocked by USA and Israel. Which i don't know where they got that information from. They seem to have made that up and they are those indian's on twitter talking of the rafale deal between India and France and are try to guess they there is such a huge price difference.

There are apparently lots of people of twitter that are twitting Egyptian Rafale's don't include scalp and meteor and that it has been blocked by USA and Israel. Which i don't know where they got that information from.
From their wet dreams.. as we have sources that has confirmed everything..

Just ask yourself .. how can Egypt sign another and bigger deal on Rafale if it was without its two most important weapons.. and this after waiting 6 years since the first deal.. that talk does not make any sense and mostly that it has been confirmed by reliable sources..

From their wet dreams.. as we have sources that has confirmed everything..

Just ask yourself .. how can Egypt sign another and bigger deal on Rafale if it was without its two most important weapons.. and this after waiting 6 years since the first deal.. that talk does not make any sense and mostly that it has been confirmed by reliable sources..

I absolutly agree with you.

Spy satellites don't just use cameras. The modern ones use SAR and other high frequency radars to see through clouds. I don't think any country will be willing to give those to anyone else, though.

There are optical satellites like the ones Egypt is buying from France and SAR satellites like the ones Egypt is buying from Italy..

Italy is willing to sell a SAR satellite to Egypt.. it is part of the mega deal that has been already approved,,

La Tribune reported in December 2015 that Egyptian military officials were in discussions with the French for the acquisition of a military communications satellite and a high-resolution Earth observation satellite. Reports at the time suggested that the discussions on these satellites ran into technical issues that could not be resolved quickly.

It is likely, however, that the Egyptian military communications satellite will be a Eurostar-3000 system like the two supplied by Airbus and Thales to YahSat in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). YahSat 1A and 1B are both Ka band communications satellites, and are outfitted for use by the UAE Armed Forces as well as for commercial purposes.

EuroStar-3000. Picture courtesy of European Space Agency and Airbus Defence and Space.
EuroStar-3000. Picture courtesy of European Space Agency and Airbus Defence and Space.

According to La Tribune, Egyptian officials balked at the price of the French Earth observation satellite that was on offer, and are said to be considering proposals for cheaper imaging systems from Russian and South Korean companies.

https://spacewatch.global/2016/03/egypt-to-buy-french-military-satellite-in-1-2b-arms-deal/

Egypt Tiba-1 (EuroStar-3000 family) military communication satellite was launched on November 26, 2019
NSF-2019-11-22-17-47-35-930.jpg

This is the CSO French military Earth observation satellite that Egypt is negotiating for or contracted recently ..it provides extremely high resolution geo information intelligence...

"This launch is only a step, a decisive step. CSO will multiply our surveillance capabilities, allow us images of recognition and identification of a precision never equaled," says Florence Parly, Minister of the Armies.

Artist's concept of CSO-1's concept of CSO-1

These work best in constellations.. so one is just a start..Egypt will buy at least two..

* Egypt bought EgyptSat-A military Earth observation satellite from Russia that was successfully launched on February 21, 2019 and it has another one like it in space EgyptSat-1
EgyptSatA.jpg

Primary users of EgyptSat-A’s imagery are expected to include Egyptian military and security forces, intelligence analysts, emergency responders, environmental monitoring experts, and the agricultural sector.

** Egypt was also interested in South Korean military Earth observation satellites..as they are very advanced tech-wise

KAI_satellite.png

This comes quite handy. seeing things coming from a long shoot is key

MRTT Aircraft

Not less than 6 for Egypt..2 now and 4 later on..

I didn't realize they were thinking of ordering an additional 4 on top of these two. At first I thought why need 6 of them unless they plan a lot of long distance "trips" but I guess they don't need to fuel only military jets. These can actually be used to fuel not only passenger jets of certain types, but they can also be contracted by other friendly governments passing by needing air refueling, similar to what the UAE does. Still, 6 of them is a lot, especially at $300 million a piece plus the large amounts of fuel they need to carry as well as maintenance and flight operation costs. Interesting to see if they do follow through with those.

That aircraft seems to be one of the better and more successful A2A refueler as well as its cabin being able to convert to passenger and cargo carrier.

MRTT Aircraft

Not less than 6 for Egypt..2 now and 4 later on..

KC-30_A39-002_refuelling_an_USAF_F-16_%28cropped%29.jpg

web.mrtt.large.11.jpg

War_of_Words.jpg

I have always wondered why Pakistan hasn’t bought the MRTT. The current soviet era tanker is frankly both insufficient and inefficient. @Bilal Khan (Quwa)
The deal with Italy on a radar satellite SAR .. most likely will be on the latest csg version, which is distinguished by the AESA antenna with double modules, great updates from the previous version, and a shelf life of 7 years..This satellite is also part of the second latest generation of the COSMO-SkyMed program, which, according to Tactical Report Egypt want to participate in it..

CSG_still_cam_003_earth-21100.jpg

Do you know if Pakistan has or intends to have anything that provides similar capabilities? @Bilal Khan (Quwa)

I have always wondered why Pakistan hasn’t bought the MRTT. The current soviet era tanker is frankly both insufficient and inefficient. @Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Do you know if Pakistan has or intends to have anything that provides similar capabilities? @Bilal Khan (Quwa)
We tried asking for the A330 MRTT, Airbus DS said 'no', basically. I think making a hose-and-drogue version of it is doable if we invest in it (e.g., configure surplus A330s with the UPAZ pods). But to get boom compatibility, we'd need to get someone to develop an original solution. I hope Turkey does it.

As for SAR on satellites. IIRC, there's a program in the works (PRSS-S1).

We tried asking for the A330 MRTT, Airbus DS said 'no', basically. I think making a hose-and-drogue version of it is doable if we invest in it (e.g., configure surplus A330s with the UPAZ pods). But to get boom compatibility, we'd need to get someone to develop an original solution. I hope Turkey does it.

As for SAR on satellites. IIRC, there's a program in the works (PRSS-S1).

Was there any reason why Airbus declined Pakistan’s offer? When was this?

Was there any reason why Airbus declined Pakistan’s offer? When was this?
I don't know when it happened, but I heard it from the PAF officer who was supposed to be involved in a new MRTT program (had Airbus DS been open to us acquiring it). The same officer said Airbus DS said 'no' because there is (or at least was) an implicit policy to prevent strategically valuable systems falling into Pakistan's hands. The MRTT had been flagged as such a system. That said, the officer said the PAF was still actively looking.

I didn't realize they were thinking of ordering an additional 4 on top of these two. At first I thought why need 6 of them unless they plan a lot of long distance "trips" but I guess they don't need to fuel only military jets. These can actually be used to fuel not only passenger jets of certain types, but they can also be contracted by other friendly governments passing by needing air refueling, similar to what the UAE does. Still, 6 of them is a lot, especially at $300 million a piece plus the large amounts of fuel they need to carry as well as maintenance and flight operation costs. Interesting to see if they do follow through with those.

That aircraft seems to be one of the better and more successful A2A refueler as well as its cabin being able to convert to passenger and cargo carrier.
The thing is a transport aircraft too.. maybe that is why..

Back
Top Bottom