Egypt is bying a medium-range air defense system from Germany

The SC

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Canada
IRIS-T SLM

GBAD%20System%202000%20x%201000%20px_neu.jpg

Swedish_Armed_Forces_order_additional_IRIS_T_SLS_surface_to_air_missiles_640_001.jpg

4-image-31.jpg

Effective against all types of aircraft, helicopters, cruise missiles, guided weapons
Air-to-surface missiles, anti-ship missile, Anti-radar missiles and large-scale missiles
It also has a high probability of killing unmanned aerial combat vehicles\

iris-t-sl.png

Guidance: Infrared + GPS + INS + Data Link

IRIS-T-Air-Defense-Missile.jpg

Range: 40 km
Ceiling: 20 km

iristslmsls.jpg

https://rp-online.de/politik/deutsc...saudi-arabien-katar-und-aegypten_aid-33127259

IRIS-T SL

GBAD%20System%202000%20x%201000%20px_neu.jpg

Swedish_Armed_Forces_order_additional_IRIS_T_SLS_surface_to_air_missiles_640_001.jpg

4-image-31.jpg

Effective against all types of aircraft, helicopters, cruise missiles, guided weapons
Air-to-surface missiles, anti-ship missile, Anti-radar missiles and large-scale missiles
It also has a high probability of killing unmanned aerial combat vehicles\

iris-t-sl.png

Guidance: Infrared + GPS + INS + Data Link

IRIS-T-Air-Defense-Missile.jpg

Range: 40 km
Ceiling: 20 km

iristslmsls.jpg

https://rp-online.de/politik/deutsc...saudi-arabien-katar-und-aegypten_aid-33127259

What does it say about Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Qatar? That weapons sales have been cleared to those countries?

Also how many different air defense systems is Egypt going to operate by now?o_O

I wonder if KSA will be interested and if a JV with Germany can be arranged.

I know that KSA ordered the IRIS-T back in 2009.

why do they need this? i know theres slight tension with sudan but I don't think it warrants a build up like this...

What does it say about Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Qatar? That weapons sales have been cleared to those countries?

Also how many different air defense systems is Egypt going to operate by now?o_O

EGY operate already many... From Russian/French/American and Now German...
KSA ordered the Missile version on their Typhoons, not the AA ground based sys.

As for JV mostly not, First Germans are quite strict in "strategic" equipment ToT, even with EU members and Taking into account KSA foreign policy in Yemen, Something like that will not happen. at least till GER stay as she is right now.

That's also Why Defence contracts btw GER and KSA is quite limited.

why do they need this? i know theres slight tension with sudan but I don't think it warrants a build up like this...

Nothing To do with that, It's EGY over-Diversification policy... It's not new.

EGY operate already many... From Russian/French/American and Now German...
KSA ordered the Missile version on their Typhoons, not the AA ground based sys.

As for JV mostly not, First Germans are quite strict in "strategic" equipment ToT, even with EU members and Taking into account KSA foreign policy in Yemen, Something like that will not happen. at least till GER stay as she is right now.

That's also Why Defence contracts btw GER and KSA is quite limited.

A potentially logistical nightmare.

I know that KSA ordered the IRIS-T and not this relatively new air defense system. In fact I am quire sure (without googling) that it was not yet developed back in 2009.

KSA does not need Germany at all with the existing range of partners and potential ones.

If they have just allowed weapons sales to KSA, in the middle of the Yemen civil war, I doubt that they would care much if KSA pays enough. Not that I believe that KSA will do that.

KSA-Germany (business ventures, private firms, Saudi Arabian students in Germany, although not even as close as many as in the US for instance) are cordial and relatively strong considering Germany's EMO behavior and obsession about "political correctness".

Te IRIS-T missiles have a version for fighter planes, the Typhoon uses them, as well as the Swedish and French fighters.. but this one is an air-defence one..
I have read somewhere that KSA will get some artillery systems.. maybe the SKY CHIELD

content_nbs_mantis.jpg

p_9922kp7r1.jpg

p_992porct2.png

These Systems that are installed on vehicles can monitor enemy fire allowing accurate counter strikes.

A potentially logistical nightmare.

I know that KSA ordered the IRIS-T and not this relatively new air defense system. In fact I am quire sure (without googling) that it was not yet developed back in 2009.

KSA does not need Germany at all with the existing range of partners and potential ones.

If they have just allowed weapons sales to KSA, in the middle of the Yemen civil war, I doubt that they would care much if KSA pays enough. Not that I believe that KSA will do that.
Ofc GER is one supplier among many.
But those choosing GER do it in mind of the "quality" of the product.

And it's a AA sys, If KSA ask to buy, I don't see why they will not sell. Since restrictions are mostly imposed on Ammunitions/missiles etc...

There are no tensions with Sudan anymore.. this system will replace older systems in the Egyptian armed forces..

A special force multiplier system ..that is why Egypt is getting it..

cae_radar_for_iris_t_sl.jpg

IRIS-T_SLM_SAM_Scale_Model.jpg

German Medium Range Air Defense System IRIS-T SLM

The latest systems joining the Egyptian Air Defense Forces with 7 systems (a battery can have up to 4 launchers)

The missile is launched with a vertical launch system, with special containers (VLS) not exceeding 6 meters, for launch, transport and storage Launch Transport and Storage Container (LTSC). The launch is carried on a Wheeled or tracked vehicle to operate in the desert environment, each vehicle has 8 compact launchers on two quad-packs, and this compact design gives the ease of shipping vehicles by sea or by air on C-130 transport aircraft.

The missile features a Thrust Vectoring engine that gives it the ability to engage in a 360-degree angle, as well as high maneuverability (90 degree angle). It can maneuver up to 60 G at 60 degrees per second, making it more difficult to avoid the missile.

The missile relies on radar guidance in most of its trajectory. In addition to having a satellite navigation system and an Inertial navigating system (GPS / INS) used to adjust the path and adjust the coordinates, The missile also includes an IR thermal search capability for the final guidance stage.

The missile with its final infrared guidance stage in addition to inertial navigation gives it the ability to deect and track the target without the need for a radar tracking system, ie, the missile can only obtain the radar survey data to determine the location of the aerial target and then close it in the final phase of the thermal search; the so-called closure on the target after the launch or Lock-on after launch (LOAL), and gives the advantage of the possibility of launching and directing each missile on its own and hit several different targets at the same time

The maximum range of the missile is 40 km with a ceiling up to 20 km above sea level. It can reach Mach 3 (1030 m / s), with the shortest range of the missile Dead Zone of less than 1 km. Which shows that the speed of response is very high, and that the missile has the ability to resist high electronic and thermal interference.

It is capable of handling various air targets ranging from fighter jets, helicopters, drones, aerial munitions, mobile rockets and anti-radiation missiles.

The IRIS-T SLM missile system works with many radar scanning and tracking systems such as:

The Giraffe AMB from SAAB which is a three-dimensional passive radar, with a range of 120 km

In addition to the TRML-3D passive German radar with a range of 200 km, a maximum height of 20 km, and can handle 400 targets at a time

In addition to the French radar GM200, a 3D radar with an electronic survey matrix, with a maximum range of 250 km for the pattern of aerial survey, and 100 km for the pattern of engagement, and a maximum height of 24 km

In addition to the Australian radar CEAFAR wild version GBMMR, which has an active electronic survey matrix AESA, and can monitor more than 500 targets together and a range of 200 km and a height of 30 km.

@Gomig-21

This system might be specifically bought for the Egyptian Rapid Deployment forces..

Last edited:
@Gomig-21

This system might be specifically bought for the Egyptian Rapid Deployment forces..

Bro, I'm sorry I don't remember getting this tag from a couple of years ago lol. But I was just discussing the EADS' missiles tier system with some Russian folks and I mentioned how the EADS has this in 7 systems and they were blown away. Funny how many out there don't realize how extensive the EADS is.

You could be quite right that they would use these with the RDFs, but after having that extensive discussion with one of the mod members about the strength and efficacy of the Resonance-NE, I looked more into these and was convinced they're the most optimal to use against the F-35. But that's just me.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom