What's new

Education Thread

Lahore: The Senate's Standing Committee on Education held a meeting to review the developmental programme of the Punjab School Education Department here on Monday.

According to a DGPR handout, Senator Razina Khan, chairperson of the committee, while speaking on the occasion, said under the leadership of Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, a comprehensive plan had been made for the education sector.

Giving the briefing about the School Education Department, Schools Secretary Nadeem Ashraf said the Punjab government had allocated record financial resources for the education sector and enhanced education budget up to 90 per cent. Moreover, for capacity building of managerial staff of the department, a special training course was being started with the collaboration of the Government College University (GCU) and participants of the course would be appointed on administrative posts, he added.

The secretary schools further said that with a view to fulfilling the shortage of teachers in government schools, 34,000 educators were being recruited he maintained. He said public-private partnership was being promoted through the Punjab Education Foundation, which had trained 67,743 teachers of private schools and 11,750 schools of the private sector were being facilitated by fee support programme of the foundation.

Highlighting the steps taken by the department to raise the education standard, the secretary said the Directorate Staff Development had chalked out a three-year training programme for school teachers, adding that under the programme, 42,000 primary school teachers, 65,000 middle school teachers and 5,000 secondary school teachers would be imparted in-service training.

The secretary stated that 288 centres of excellence schools would be established at all tehsil headquarters and such schools would be provided standard facilities. He said these schools were being set up in the backward areas of southern Punjab in the first phase.

The meeting was attended by Senator Syed Javed Ali Shah, Senator Prof Muhammad Ibrahim Khan, Senator Dr Abdul Khaliq Pirzada, Senator Tahira Latif, Senator Liaqat Ali Bengalzai, Senator Amar Ahmad Khan, Senator Syed Tahir Hussain Mashhadi, Senator Prof Sajid Mir and Senator SM Zafar. The News

Standard of our graduates was far below that of European graduates
Jan 21: KRL used to organise many international conferences on important technological and scientific subjects, usually covering those disciplines that were of direct relevance and importance to them. The aim of such conferences was to gather together a large number of participants from abroad to provide Pakistani scientists and engineers an opportunity to interact with foreign experts, exchange views, seek their guidance and initiate contacts with them for future studies abroad. These conferences covered such varied subjects as vacuum technology, advanced materials, phase transformations, software engineering, fluid dynamics, super conductors, magnetic materials, mechanical vibrations, and biomedical sciences.

It also enabled Pakistani scientists and engineers to present their research papers in the presence of foreign experts, which gave them self-confidence and enabled them to learn from constructive criticism and advice. The conferences attracted professors and experts from countries including Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, China, Egypt, Germany, Holland, India, Japan, Switzerland, Turkey, the UK and the USA. It was an extremely healthy exercise which, unfortunately, has since been discontinued.

When I started our enrichment programme in 1976, and later the weapons programme in 1981, I found out that the standard of our graduates was far below that of European graduates. Not only did they lack in basic knowledge, but there was also a severe dearth of self-confidence. I selected those I considered to be the best for my initial team and, thanks to their dedication and willingness to learn, we managed to complete the programme in a relatively short span of time.

I still vividly remember how, during one of the interviews, we ran into a cocky physicist who was all out to impress us with his brilliant educational record, having secured first position every time and being on the Honour Roll in the M.Sc. physics programme at the Government College, Lahore. I just listened while my colleagues did the questioning. At the end I asked him to show graphically the linear relationship between two quantities. I was shocked by the fact that he was unable to do so. I then asked him how he would determine by a simple experiment whether or not a small piece of wire was a conductor or a semi-conductor. Again we drew a blank.

Years later, there was an annual get-together of old Ravians where I was invited as chief guest. The late Dr Arif (advisor to the late Chief Minister Wyne), the late Mr Hanif Ramay (a former chief minister), Mr Majid Nizami and other Ravians paid tributes to their Alma Mater, claiming that the affairs of Pakistan were being run by Ravians. I could not help remarking that Pakistan's condition in all spheres did not speak highly of their performance.

While studying in Germany, Holland and Belgium, we visited many industrial units and other universities to broaden our vision. In my case, I visited such industries and institutes in Germany, Holland, Belgium, France, England, Austria, Italy, Sweden and Denmark and gained invaluable knowledge and experience from it.

I would like to do justice to the graduates of the various institutions by stressing that the fault was (and is) not theirs. It is the outdated system and lack of facilities that hold them back and prevent them from becoming well-equipped and well-informed. During one of the conferences mentioned above, a British professor asked what the monthly fee at a public university was. When informed what this nominal amount was, he quipped: "Well, you can see that from the end-product."

One serious defect in our educational system in general, and our scientific and technological education in particular, is that most of it is based on rote learning. Also, facilities are inadequate. For the greater part, studies consist of memorising the answers to question papers of the past five years without any attempt to encourage comprehension of the subject. After graduating from this system, students have not fully developed their natural talents. The high school exam is a tough nut to crack because of the number of subjects. As one proceeds into higher education it becomes relatively easier because the subject matter is more limited.

This has resulted in a number of cases of fake high school certificates followed by genuine B.A. and B.Sc. degrees. After an M.Sc. degree from a Pakistani university, studying abroad for a Ph.D. becomes a question of time and some effort. In most cases the supervisor and other doctoral students help, especially if the student is from a Third World country. A Ph.D. degree is obtained while acquiring a lot of knowledge on a very limited subject. Since the foundation was weak to start off with, subsequent building blocks cannot be expected to be solid and strong.

In order to overcome this deficiency, we had initiated a novel programme at KRL. We recruited the best B.Sc. degree holders available and then sent them to the UK to study at good universities to obtain B.Sc.(Hons.) degrees in various disciplines. This basic grounding gave them the solid foundation required. Some were allowed to continue for an M.Sc. degree, came back, worked for a few years and were then again allowed to go for Ph.D. work.

Although this was somewhat costly in financial terms, these engineers and scientists turned out to be great assets to us. They were not only competent, but did not hesitate in taking initiatives. The principle behind this was taken from my own experiences. I had gone to Germany after completing my B.Sc. I obtained a thorough grounding for five years before earning an M.Sc. Technology and then went on to complete a doctor of engineering degree. It was this solid base that later enabled me to handle the most difficult and complicated enrichment and missile programmes.

Coming back to engineering education, I would like to point out that engineering is a diverse, wide-ranging profession offering challenging careers in a wide range of areas. One should realise that, within any area of engineering, professional engineers are involved in a wide range of different activities such as design, research, development, production and marketing. Only engineers with good qualities, abilities, skills and initiative to a high level of technical expertise can cope with such a challenge.

A very serious shortcoming in the development of the capabilities of our engineers is the absence of industrial training during their studies. When I went to Berlin, it was compulsory to have at least six months of practical industrial training before joining the university. In my particular case, I had spent three months at Siemens in Karachi and then six months in Germany, working during the day and learning German in the evening, as all courses were taught in German. Having acquired that practical experience even before starting my studies was an invaluable asset.

Unfortunately, this practice is not followed in Pakistan as most industries don't offer such facilities. Our government should make such practical experience compulsory too, either before starting studies or during the course of the studies. I have heard that this is indeed the practice at some universities, but I was unable to confirm it. For both scientists and engineers there are always challenges to face and to solve, laws of nature to be determined and items of use to humankind to be invented and produced. Some of the things that are of daily use in our life now seemed impossible a generation ago. This was aptly expressed by Robert H Goddard in these words: "It is difficult to say what is impossible for the dream of yesterday, is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow."

Investment in education could not be better described than by the words used by the Chinese genius Kuan Chung centuries ago: "If you plan for a year, plant a seed; if for 10 years, plant a tree; if for a 100 years, teach the people. When you sow a seed once, you reap a single harvest; when you teach the people, you will reap a 100 harvests."

In my last article I had mentioned the invaluable advice given by the great Muslim scholar Yaqub Ibn Ishaq al-Kundi, that one should not be ashamed to ask questions to determine the truth and to acknowledge this fact without any hesitation. The News

Islamabad, Jan 23: There will be no compromise on women education and all women schools will be opened once the winter vacation were over.

This was stated by Federal Minister for Education Mir Hazar Khan Bijarani, while talking to German Ambassador to Pakistan Dr. Michael Koch who called on the Minister on Thursday.

Our religion has stressed a lot on women Education and the extremist cannot undermine the Govt's efforts to wide spread the women education, was the Minister's point of view. He further said that the public at large in Swat was by no means against the women education rather it's only a small faction of extremists who are opposing the women Education. The Minister hoped that normally would return to Swat soon and all the schools will be opened by the end of March this year. The matter related to the establishment of Pak-Germany Technical University at Lahore was thoroughly discussed in the meeting.

The Minister apprised the German Ambassador that by no means the Government of Pakistan will abandon the Pak-German Technical University project. He said that due to acute shortage of funds the establishment of new universities project has been temporarily abandoned funds the establishment of new universities project has been temporarily abandoned.

The ambassador wanted full cooperation form the Pakistan Govt for establishment of this university. Bijarani said that the Government in the next financial budget would allocate due resource for the fulfillment of this project.

The Federal Minister for Education Mir Hazar Khan Bijarani also said old the German envoy that Ministry of Education wishes better working relationship and coordination with the HEC.

Previously, the HEC Chairman with the status of a federal Minister was responsible to the Parliament but now in the existing situation the Education Minister is responsible before the parliament for the working and functioning of HEC. Therefore it is dire need to establish sound and strong coordination between the Education Ministry and HEC.

The Minister also said that presently the search for suitable Chairman of HEC is underway and full-fledged chairman HEC will be appointed soon. The Nation

Karachi, Jan 24: The Sindh government's endowment fund for education, which was established with seed money of Rs500 million in 2002-03, has risen to over Rs1 billion in funds, with over 800 students as beneficiaries.

In the light of President Asif Ali Zardari's recent directives, it was decided that the size of the fund be increased to Rs2 billion, and 500 beneficiaries be added every year.

The finance department was thus directed to make an annual contribution of Rs500 million to the fund so that the desired target of Rs2 billion could be reached.

Sindh Chief Secretary Fazlur Rehman said that the fund was created to help talented students who were constrained by their resources, and were thus unable to pursue higher studies at prestigious institutions.

He said scholarships were earlier granted in the fields of medicine, business management and information technology, but it was recently decided that students of engineering subjects be also included in the list.

The number of institutions where the scholarships will be granted is also set to increase, with provincial secretary of education Rizwan Memon saying that at a recent meeting it was decided to include prestigious institutions from across Pakistan in the endowment fund list.

Earlier, the fund was granted at six institutions: the Aga Khan Medical University, Szabist, IBA (Karachi and Sukkur), Sindh University Jamshoro and the College of Business Management.

Now, in addition to all public medical and engineering colleges and universities in Sindh, the scholarships will be provided for education at Quaid-i-Azam University (Islamabad), the National University of Science and Technology (Islamabad), the Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering and Technology (NWFP), the Lahore University of Management Sciences and the University of Engineering and Technology (Lahore).

Mr Memon said the criterion for eligibility for the scholarship was a GPA of up to 2.0, and a total household income of up to Rs200,000.

He added that the endowment scholarships are announced through advertisements immediately after admission lists are released by universities.

Mr Memon ruled out the possibility of using government influence to have scholarships granted to certain candidates, saying that the board which was responsible for the selection of students after interviews did not include a representative of the government.

Questions had earlier been raised regarding the transparency of the endowment fund by officials in the finance department, according to sources privy to the functioning of the fund. The Sindh education department was thereafter directed to submit a detailed report on the funds disbursed from the endowment fund so far, along with a list of beneficiaries.

At the same meeting, several ministers expressed their ignorance of the rules and procedures of the fund, and directed the education department to properly circulate the rules and procedures to all relevant educational institutions.

The endowment was created by the government in order to meet the growing demand for highly trained employees in modern industries and financial institutions.

The government also aimed to provide a source of highly skilled and qualified teachers for the various seats of learning by helping qualified students receive an education they would not normally be able to afford. Dawn

Karachi University is the second university from Pakistan to achieve the honour​

Karachi, Jan 26: The University of Karachi (KU) has been ranked among the top 600 universities of the world, from a pool of 30,000, as per the latest rankings announced by the Times Higher Education and Quacquarelli Symonds (THE-QS), UK.

The KU is the second university from Pakistan to achieve the honour, prior to which the National University of Science and Technology secured the 376th position among the world's top universities. According to the ranking agency, KU ranked 546th in 2008.

The THE-QS World University Rankings are based on a multi-faceted view of the relative strengths of the world's leading universities. The research yields results on 600 "in the round" and 300 in each of five broad faculty areas. The overall rankings are compiled based on six distinct indicators.

After being judged on these indicators, the KU was included among the top 600 universities of the world. Daily Times

Gilani said that the government would achieve its goals​

Islamabad, Jan 27: The government has asked the Planning Commission to increase the budgetary allocation for education to four percent of the Gross National Product (GNP) in three years, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Monday.

He was addressing the awards ceremony of International Conference on Medical Education organised by Riphah International University in collaboration with the Higher Education Commission and Pakistan Medical and Dental Council.

"I am glad to share with you that the PPP government accords top priority to education and we plan to allocate maximum resources towards this end," the prime minister said.

Gilani said that the government would achieve its goals through appropriate use of information technology and research and development networking.

Continuing education was directly linked to the quality of research in a country and that of its products, Gilani said. "It is only through an ongoing quality assurance system that we can safeguard public interests and standards of higher education," he said.

The prime minister called for institutional audits and "universal Islamic ethical and moral values" to ensure qualitative targets of higher education are met.

Most of Pakistan's population is young, he said, and added proper academic training could help bring a "scientific revolution" in the country.

"The role of private universities in this sense is as important as that of public universities and they should get full support from the Higher Education Commission and other regulatory bodies," he said. Comprehensive and target-oriented progress required Pakistanis to "learn not only from the west but also from the east", Gilani said. Daily Times

Crunch times like the present affect education the most​

Jan 29: Pakistan has under-invested in education to a notoriously large degree. Worse, the sector has consistently under-utilised whatever money was allocated. This is how the education sector has always been, policy rhetoric and donor-speak notwithstanding.

And this is how it seems it will continue to be if some recent actions and inactions are any guide - a university here, a cadet college there, while girls' primary schools burn where they are needed most.

Crunch times like the present affect education the most. While the Higher Education Commission (HEC) funding has been slashed, this does not signify that elementary education is now a priority. As ever, the sector lacks direction. In a land obsessed with the power to post and transfer, appointing heads of the HEC and the education division/departments is a matter that can wait. Primary education has no champions, nor any constituency. A.Q. Khan has argued that mass education does not lead to a developed state. He cites the Sri Lankan case of universal literacy and primary school enrolment. But he will be hard pressed to quote any example of a country which has Pakistan's literacy and enrolment ratios and happens to be developed. Despite its running civil war, Sri Lanka at least has a much higher Human Development Index than Pakistan.

Higher education did get a champion in the person of Atta-ur-Rehman. In a matter of five years the allocation that used to be in millions became billions. To get around bureaucratic resistance and political opposition he got a chancellors committee headed by Musharraf himself. This committee decided that the allocation for higher education should rise by 50 per cent every year. He freed himself from the education ministry and got his own principal accounting officer. Most important, he was able to protect the unspent money also by having it declared non-lapsable.

Chancellors who happened to be governors were used for lobbying. For instance, three governors once wrote to Musharraf that the chief economist of the Planning Commission, which happened to be this writer, was anti-HEC. What was I doing? At the project approval meetings, I used to put the emphasis on teachers and students rather than construction and point out the neglect of social sciences. The result, however, was that the deputy chairman of the Planning Commission, himself a former executive director of the HEC, banned the economic appraisal of the HEC projects altogether.

The point is that higher education had a champion, and allocations, but no vision. It was a huge lobbying effort gone astray. The lesson is that the mere allocation of money is not enough. The sad part is that the enhanced allocations were at the expense of primary and college education. As a whole, annual allocation for the education sector remained under two per cent of the GNP from 2001-02 to 2006-07. It rose from 1.49 per cent of the GNP to 1.86 per cent. Out of a total increment of 0.37 percentage point in the entire period, 0.27 went to higher education. Let it be admitted frankly that allocations for education are unlikely to move beyond two per cent of the GNP until the tax/GDP ratio is jolted out of its present stagnation. Policy has to focus on priorities and effective spending.

Priorities were determined by the founder of Pakistan himself who believed that knowledge as a force was more powerful than the sword and that in no country had elementary education become universal without compulsion. Again, the first All Pakistan Educational Conference was told: "Education does not merely mean academic education. There is immediate and urgent need for training our people in the scientific and technical education in order to build up our future economic life, and we should see that our people take to science, commerce, trade and particularly, well-planned industries. But do not forget that we have to compete with the world which is moving very fast in this direction. Also I must emphasise that greater attention should be paid to technical and vocational education."

No less relevant are his thoughts on cadet colleges: "I know the conservative British mind ... that the only method in this world by which you can get suitable boys for a military career is the public school system. Now let me tell [them] that there is no public school system either in America or in Canada or in France or in Germany or any other country that I know of." As a matter of fact, the intake of the services from cadet colleges is extremely limited. This did not stop the education division from allocating about Rs1bn to 13 existing and nine new cadet colleges in the current year's budget which on the whole declined in absolute terms.

In short, visionaries like Jinnah would prefer to give priority to compulsory universal primary education, non-elitist education, professional, commercial and technical education, and just enough to generalist education, with no discrimination between the sexes.

By Dr Pervez Tahir - The writer, a former chief economist, is now Mahbub ul Haq Chair at GC University, Lahore. (Dawn)

2.1m students to appear in 5th & 8th class exams​

Lahore, Feb 04: Over 2.1 million students are appearing in the annual primary and middle standard examination 2009 being held from February 3 and 9, respectively by the Punjab Examination Commission in the province. Official sources said here Monday that over 1.2 million students including 673,000 male and 556,000 female students are appearing in the 5th class annual examination. For this purpose, 6,340 examination centres have been set up in the province where 12,000 staffers of education department supervise the examination which will end on February 7. As many as 864,000 candidates including 480,000 male and 382,000 female students are taking annual middle standard examination 2009, beginning from February 9. The Commission has set up 4,500 centres in the province for middle standard examination.

70,000 youths to get jobs on internship basis next month: Minister​

Multan, Jan 03: Federal Minister for Youth Affairs Shahid Hussain Bhutto said here Monday that the PPP-led coalition government would provide jobs to 70,000 educated youth on internship basis next month.

Talking to mediapersons at the local airport the federal minister said that PPP has always given employment while some others de-employed them. He said that is why some 7,700 dismissed employees are being reinstated by the incumbent government.

He said all departments have been directed to announce their vaccancies and fill them urgently on merit so that unemployment could be minimised.

He said the PPP has a strong belief in democracy, that is why it has never destabilised any democratic government. However, he said, the party has been engaged in long struggle against dictatorial regimes over the decades. He said it were the PPP endeavours that Pervez Musharraf had to step down.

The federal minister for youth affairs said the party offered immense sacrifices for restoration of democracy and end of dictatorial era.

He said hundreds of its workers were martyred in this struggle and even their leader Shaheed Benazir Bhutto sacrificed her life for the revival of democratic order and independence of judiciary in the motherland.

To a question he said if the PML-N wants to stage "Long march" it is its democratic right. However, he added, 90 per cent judges have been restored.

He said some judges are not willing to take oath even under the 1973 Constitution. He said "we do not have any PCO but the Constitution".

Shahid Bhutto, to another question, said that the question of disqualification of Mian Nawaz Sharif and Mian Shahbaz Sharif is sub judice in the Supreme Court and it is unfair to predict that they are going to be disqualified.

He said the PPP believes in dialogue and does not favour confrontation within the coalition partners as any political destabilisation would be harmful for the nation and country.

He said the new youth policy has been formulated and the Prime Minister has constituted a task force to finalise it, which will be announced after approval by the federal cabinet within a month's time.

The federal minister announced in an upbeat mood that all applicants from Multan having done their masters with 25 years of age and below will get the internship employment. App

PAC wants action against absconding scholarship holders

* Education Division has sent several students abroad for higher studies, out of which 27 did not return
* Chaudhry Nisar asks department heads to ensure financial transparency at every level

By Tahir Niaz

ISLAMABAD: The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) on Friday ordered Education Acting Secretary Shahid Ahmad to initiate legal proceedings against scholarship holders who absconded after the completion of their studies or failed to complete their studies during 1988-1996.

The ministry officials told the committee that Rs 57 million were yet to be recovered from the scholarship holders, while 17 of them had absconded. Their services have been terminated and the department would start legal proceedings against them and their guarantors, the committee revealed.

PAC Chairman Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan gave three months to the ministry and directed them to write to the district coordination officers and other revenue officers to recover the amount.

Higher studies: Hamid Yar Hiraj said the Federal Investigation Agency’s assistance in this regard could also be taken. The audit had submitted that the Education division had sent abroad several students for higher studies, out of which 27 did not return.

Approximately, Rs 76.16 million incurred on foreign training was recoverable from them. The committee also sought a report in 10 days from the Federal Directorate of Education for the unauthorised transfer of Rs 41.94 million to the Power and Water Development Authority to avoid a lapse of budget. A sub-committee of the PAC would fix responsibility in this regard.

Hiraj asked the Education Ministry to explain why the Inter-Board Chairmen Committee (IBCC) took so long in giving decisions on the validity of BA degrees submitted by the candidates in the general elections 2002.

The officials of Pakistan Broadcasting Corporation (PBC) told the PAC that the Pakistan Housing Authority (PHA) took possession of PBC’s 12.73 acres of land in Karachi and Islamabad. They said Rescue-15 office near Zero Point, Islamabad, was also constructed on PBC land. The committee sought a detailed report in this regard within four weeks. Hiraj and other committee members urged the PTV and PBC high ups to take steps so that the state-owned media could compete with independent media organisations.

Transparency: Nisar asked the department heads to ensure financial transparency at every level. In the future, he said, the principal accounting officer (PAO) would also be held accountable for misappropriations in the department accounts. He observed that no meeting of the Departmental Audit Committee would be recognised valid, if not chaired by the PAO.

Pakistan educators complain about UK student visa troubles

Education advisors from Pakistan have voiced their concerns that Pakistani students are finding their pathway to study in the UK has been made difficult since the new system for UK immigration was introduced, reports the Associated Press of Pakistan.

The Pakistan National Education Consultants Association (PNECA) said the Pakistan has traditionally had strong demand to study in the UK, and since 2004-05, Pakistan nationals have comprised a large part of 70 per cent of British universities.

Yet organizers of the conference have said the new points-based system for UK immigration has meant that Pakistani students are looking elsewhere for their international education.

“While UK clearly remains the first preference for Pakistani students, in the new emerging situation they are now seeking admissions in Malaysia, UAE, Australia and New Zealand,” said Syed Abdi, founder of PNECA.

Abdi said since last year nearly 23,000 UK visa applications remain stuck in the Islamabad British High Commission because of the troubles caused by the new UK immigration system. He also said that in 2008, 7,664 UK student visas were issued but that more than twice that were rejected.

Future of students studying under HEC scholarship at stake

The future of thousands of students is at stake, as HEC could not release the pledged funds to the students studying under the HEC Scholarship Scheme within the country as well as in foreign institutions, it was learnt reliably on Friday.

Owing to negligence on the part of the authorities concerned, currently more than 4,000 students in the foreign universities are badly suffering from scarcity of funds, as they have received serious warning notices for early submission of dues from their respective universities.

It is relevant to mention here that the same numbers of the students, studying under Indigenous HEC Scholarship Programme, have also become victims of this oblivion on part of HEC across the country.

The government has not released third quarter of HEC funds amounting to Rs 3.5 billions yet, which has resulted in unpleasant situation for the students who are studying under HEC scholarship scheme across the globe, authentic sources revealed.

Earlier, the government had approved massive cut on HEC funds. Due to fund shortages HEC decided to shelve its Human Resource Department for the unidentified period, under which scholarship was being awarded to the deserving students.

HEC Chairperson Begum Shehnaz Wazir Ali, when contacted, said that foreign scholars would be protected at every cost. She further said, “I and my government would provide every kind of protection to the HEC scholars throughout their studies.” To a query, she replied that due to prevailing financial crisis, HEC was partially affecting from fund shortages. She said that government would fulfil its commitments.

The sources further told that students, studying in foreign universities, had been facing serious consequences due to stoppage of funds, as they were living in miserable conditions. They were not able to meet their daily expenses there, as they were restricted to earn by the said universities, sources informed.

Those students who are enrolled in the US and UK universities could not pay their fee of this semester. It is difficult for them to do jobs to meet their daily life expenses with their tough studies schedule.

They said that as per the rule of the said institutes a student couldn’t work more than a few hours.

One of the HEC officials on the condition of anonymity said that the discriminatory behaviour of the present government towards HEC was being justified by the HEC high-ups.

He said that government did not stop the salaries of the employees of the commission on condition of their silence over the government cruel decision to rolling back the entire system of the commission established back in 2002.

The source further told that earlier HEC bigwigs were reluctant to accept the government decision but when they got assurance of their jobs security they since then had been advocating the government’s each and every irrational decisions without realising the consequences of their blind support for the government.

Dr Mukhtar Ahmad, Member Operations and planning HEC, when contacted said that entire country was suffering through financial crunch so one could not see the HEC in isolation. To a query, he said that the HEC had no other option but to obey the government decision, as they were servants of the government. He was optimistic regarding the positive response from the government side. He lauded the HEC Chairperson role in uplifting the Commission. The Nation

Related: -Pakistan Fails to Pay Fees for Its Study-Abroad Students

Back
Top Bottom