What's new

Drinking liqour is not Haram - Federal Shariat Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, its a new word.

It's a mix of haram and halal.

It means that something is halal if you like it, haram if you don't.

I want to thank your post, but I am afraid that I will be struck down by a bolt of lightning! :D

Now one can have a good ole' mug at anytime in Pakistan. Think about it; so much stress could be relieved by those having a hard day mentally. But this all depends on how much a person can control himself or herself after drinking. That is where one's will power comes to test.

@Bilal Akhtar: I am sorry to hear of your health issues. I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Drinks are quite available in Pakistan. Now, unless you REALLY are in a bad place, bad time, you are okay; people enjoy it in their houses.
During my last trip to Pakistan (Karachi) in 2009 I was offered some Murree Brewery beers by some cousins. Having never tasted any Pakistani beers ever in life I had to go for that. Boy, they made it strong there: After only a pint and a half of a stout beer, I was buzzed.

Nothing wrong with drinking in moderation. And if you are so inclined to drink a lot then just make sure the only damage you do is to yourself. You will have fun going down the drain--both money and life--but we all wither away one day anyway. Enjoy like Omar Khayyam's Rubai-yat.

Good that the FSC has made the ruling. Not that I have ever heard of public or even behind the wall lashings since damned Zia ul Haq died.

Actually anything/everything addictive is prohibited in Islam.

1) No alcohol, ever - probably a good choice in life

2) Glass of beer or wine with a meal - no problems, potential health benefits, still under debate

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) getting ripped, blotto'd, smashed, trashed - haram

How about making intoxication haram? And what about smoking? Smoking is just as bad, if not worse, than alcohol.

How about making intoxication haram? And what about smoking? Smoking is just as bad, if not worse, than alcohol.

Some think that it is intoxication that is Haram - whatever the agent of intoxication.

A note to all -- the article says the FSC ruling is that Whipping persons for drinking Alcohol is UnIslamic ---- The state cannot tell you what you may or may not drink or eat or smoke - It is your voluntary act of faith, which prevents you from intoxicating yourself, not fear of the state - La iqra fideen - no compulsion in religion, no tyranny of religion - however, no conviction and or obligation undertaken voluntarily as a act of faith, can ever be a tyranny or a coercion by the state.

So why aren't cigarretes banned? They do way more damage than alcohol.
Simply statistically WRONG ... besides their damage is LARGELY limited to person himself, but alcohol hurts society more than or same as the person himself... One would love to see u die of lung cancer for all one cares... but if u r drunk & bother ppl around then they're gonna beat the crap out of u...

Some think that it is intoxication that is Haram - whatever the agent of intoxication.

A note to all -- the article says the FSC ruling is that Whipping persons for drinking Alcohol is UnIslamic ---- The state cannot tell you what you may or may not drink or eat or smoke - It is your voluntary act of faith, which prevents you from intoxicating yourself, not fear of the state - La iqra fideen - no compulsion in religion, no tyranny of religion - however, no conviction and or obligation undertaken voluntarily as a act of faith, can ever be a tyranny or a coercion by the state.
But limited to premises of ur private residence ONLY, if u come in drunk state in public then it DOES become a responsibility of state & state can force it on u...

Drunk in public becomes a legal matter - Drinking in public is not a legal matter - would you agree?

Drunk in public becomes a legal matter - Drinking in public is not a legal matter - would you agree?

I would

The first unwritten rule while having a drink is not to drink to get drunk.

Next, each one of us who drinks knows his ' limits' and knows when to callit a day & hit the sack.

Only " Dhobhis" get drunk in public and rightfully deserve the ' jootas' they get for it.

Shariat court rules whipping for drinking un-Islamic

ISLAMABAD, May 28: The Federal Shariat Court (FSC) has declared whipping for the offence of drinking as un-Islamic and directed the government to amend the law to make the offence bailable.

A full-bench of the FSC comprising Chief Justice Haziqul Khairi, Justice Salahuddin Mirza and Justice Fida Mohammad Khan gave the ruling on Thursday after hearing the arguments that the Holy Quran asks Muslims to stay away from liquor but does not specifically declares it Haram, or prohibited.

The FSC had taken up a Shariat petition of Dr M. Aslam Khaki, who had challenged different provisions of the Prohibition Order (Enforcement of Hudood) Ordinance 1979, in which drinking was provided as Hadd, prescribing 80 lashes as punishment for the offence.

Pleading the case, Dr Aslam Khaki argued before the FSC that the punishment of 80 whips was neither provided by the Holy Quran nor Sunnah, hence the offence should not be termed as Hadd. Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him), he recalled, had awarded only 40 sticks that too of a date tree to the offender, but not 80 whips.

Article 8 of the Prohibition Order (Enforcement of Hudood) Ordinance 1979 declares drinking liable to Hadd and suggests that whoever being an adult Muslim drinks intoxicating liquor by mouth is guilty of drinking liable to Hadd and shall be punished with whipping numbering 80 whips.

Islam had declared some specific offences as Hadd which are heinous, but the offence of drinking is not a heinous crime, he argued.Though the Holy Quran has attributed drinking as both “benefit” and also Haram, but declared Haram is more than its benefit. Thus the offence of drinking is not absolute Haram.

He contended that Article 25 of the ordinance which provided punishment for attempt to drinking was violative of the injunction of Islam as neither Holy Quran nor Sunnah had provided any punishment for it.

“If a person makes an attempt to drink but withdraws, he should be appreciated but not be punished,” he said, adding intention of commission of crime without any physical act was not a crime.

The court agreeing with the petitioner declared the provisions of 80 lashes as un-Islamic and directed the federal government to amend the relevant laws to replace the punishment of whipping with sticks within six months by making it bailable offence.

In case the government failed to amend the Hadd law, the punishment will cease to exist and become void, the judgment held.

PAKISTAN OBSERVER: Drinking liqour is not Haram - Federal Shariat Court

Traitors of Islam Alcohal is a crime and its punishment is 80 lashes in Islam and these traitors are their to make their corrupt masters happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom