What's new

DRDO now begging the Army to place orders on Arjun Tanks

Is it that some of you kids have had your sense of humour surgically removed? Don't you get the equivalence to khaki chaddis?
Humour is not a tumour that can removed surgically mate, it is part of expression and mind (not physical brain) :partay:.. Like knowledge, speeches, thoughts etc,
We have equivalents but even those don't wear chaddies ... we call them libturds or libtards or religious extremists.

Humour is not a tumour that can removed surgically mate, it is part of expression and mind (not physical brain) :partay:.. Like knowledge, speeches, thoughts etc,
We have equivalents but even those don't wear chaddies ... we call them libturds or libtards or religious extremists.

I get it; you are truly humourless :D The chaddies bit was to remind all of us that the bhakts are not alone, but there are their equivalents across the border.

I have to take leave of this Kafkaesque conversation now.

I get it; you are truly humourless :D The chaddies bit was to remind all of us that the bhakts are not alone, but there are their equivalents across the border.

I have to take leave of this Kafkaesque conversation now.
No problem :enjoy: wesa abhi tu maja ana laga tha

Unfortunately for your argument, the premises are correct, the conclusions are wrong.

We have the money to buy the T90; in case you haven't noticed, we have bought them in very large numbers. So let us not be under the impression that this is a matter of not having the money to buy what we want. That is Pakistan's problem, not ours.

Where Pakistani observers get it wrong, every time, is in not understanding that there is a fear in the military of being cut off in future, by policy, not by budget, from up-to-date and imported technology. It is this that keeps them shying away from anything made in India; once the precedent is set, it will become extremely difficult to keep the bureaucrats from barring or restricting imports.

What Pakistani observers further get wrong is that these Indian options are not bad technically; on the contrary, they are better than the imported competition (not the Tejas; it has many foreign alternatives that are far superior) in most cases. In the case of the Arjun in particular, it is far superior to the Russian tank; this is NOT an opinion, it is the result of extensive tests carried out.

I hope you will understand from this, and I hope that you will take the trouble of looking up the details of the trials, that the Arjun is not a badly designed and badly made poor quality cheap local cop-out; it is BETTER than the badly designed and badly made poor quality imported competition, and funding is NOT a criterion.

Firstly, the Indians cannot buy whatever they want presently. You guys do not have an infinite pot of gold to afford everything. That distinction is only for the Arabs. Maybe in 10-15 years, if you manage to grow at this rate, you might be able to buy whatever you need. Not now. This misguided belief was one of chief reasons why the 126 fighter jet deal had to cancelled.

Secondly, it is a blessing for you that you have civilian control over the armed forces. I imagine the Indian generals would definitely fancy a situation like we have here in Pak. The solution is not to hand over the budget to the army to do whatever it please but to update your bureaucracy. That will not happen soon judging by the usual pace of development in the subcontinent.

Thirdly, the Arjun Tank has been plagued by delays and design changes. Your army does not want it. Why to keep pumping money in a project that its principal operator has no confidence in? If IA wants to go for T-90 MS, a tank that it is more comfortable with and has been operating it for quite a while, I see no harm or ill will in such a request. Its performance in the Syrian conflict has been pretty decent. Why not go for a tank that has now proven in combat?

It IS ruining indigenous development; I would even say that it is INTENDED to ruin indigenous development.

would you say the primary purpose is to buy foreign kit or to kill indigenous development? or a hit 2 birds with one stone ?

What observers of South Asian affairs do not seem to understand is the huge difference between the Indian Army and the Pakistani Army.

The Indian Army - actually, the Indian armed forces in general - is NOT free to decide what it will buy and where it will buy from; as it happens, there has been no budget constraint in recent years, until the botched effort of this year. What DOES exist is a painful death by bureaucratic process, and this is also a factor that the Pakistani Army knows nothing about, through their good fortune.

It (the Indian military) has always been inhibited by a sense of isolation; in the 90s, we were unable to fly the Sea King because Britain blocked sales of spares, following the American lead. We HAD no alternative but the Russians, as many people seem to forget; buying American was NOT an option, buying Chinese is to run the grave risk of doing business with the Chinese: it is a graver risk than the Pakistanis realise, until it is too late.

The Pakistani Army, not the Pakistani armed forces in general, IS free to decide what and where to buy. BUT they have an increasingly difficult financial and economic situation, and we have seen how they have had to compromise again and again and again, for the Army, for the Air Force, above all, for the Navy.
the military of pakistan can buy what ever they like
and so does india
the difference is that the indians bend over easily to outside(out of the Indian armed forces) pressure

If we keep these two mindsets in front of us, it becomes easy to understand why the Indian military DOES NOT want to give their tormentors, the bureaucracy, any opportunity to clamp down on their access to new technology, often the kind of technology that may make the difference between winning and losing the war. They are scared of a bureaucratic-scientific alliance that pretends to be able to perform several times better than it actually can, and therefore constantly tries to keep its avenues to the helpful arms dealer open.
who might these tormentors be? one of your own, french, Brits, Yanks, Ruskies, zionists, isi or may be isi pigeon?
yeah i know the last one is the most probable but i want you to think and i need to slight humor.

That is why Make In India is bad. It may set a precedent.
not really, examples being
the howitzer gun from sk are running along very smoothly. the russains frigates are coming and sailing along swimmingly and israeli kit and software to are doing well
(even the ones on the nirbhay)

the hold up being primarily in the AF domain.

whatever the reason, so far no good remarks came out of any branch of Indian Military regarding any of the Locally made/assembled products.

other than the bhagats, Indian military audit reports and statements clearly state that they are not ready for any conflict.

Firstly, the Indians cannot buy whatever they want presently. You guys do not have an infinite pot of gold to afford everything. That distinction is only for the Arabs. Maybe in 10-15 years, if you manage to grow at this rate, you might be able to buy whatever you need. Not now. This misguided belief was one of chief reasons why the 126 fighter jet deal had to cancelled.

You say this knowing, of course, that the 126 fighter jet deal was CHEAPER than the final deal.

Secondly, it is a blessing for you that you have civilian control over the armed forces. I imagine the Indian generals would definitely fancy a situation like we have here in Pak. The solution is not to hand over the budget to the army to do whatever it please but to update your bureaucracy. That will not happen soon judging by the usual pace of development in the subcontinent.

Agree totally.

Thirdly, the Arjun Tank has been plagued by delays and design changes. Your army does not want it. Why to keep pumping money in a project that its principal operator has no confidence in? If IA wants to go for T-90 MS, a tank that it is more comfortable with and has been operating it for quite a while, I see no harm or ill will in such a request. Its performance in the Syrian conflict has been pretty decent. Why not go for a tank that has now proven in combat?

For the following reasons: the delays and design changes were entirely due to the Indian Army shifting goalposts in mid-game. After the infamous trials, the Army tried to retreat to a defensible position and made some absurd and obviously flimsy requests, as well as claiming to have detected faults: the weight, for instance, was considered to be a liability on soft ground, until it was pointed out that the Arjun weighed less per square foot of exposure to the ground than the T90. They raised, and hastily retreated, from the question of night-vision, where they committed the criminal blunder of not knowing that the Arjun had effective night vision, the T90 (at that point of time, in the configuration that India had ordered) had none.

The list goes on and on. Those of us who have actually had the doubtful pleasure of climbing into a Russia tank, a T72, or a T90, know what the Russians think of ergonomics; they can't even spell the damn word. In sharp, horrifying contrast, the Arjun can actually be operated by other than 'little people' (Oh, hello, Tyrion, didn't see you sitting there!).

In every possible respect, the T90 came out behind. If the Army is more comfortable in it than in the Arjun, there is some serious psychological disconnect going on.

Incidentally, the performance of various tanks in Syria raises some questions. The Turkish Leopard tanks suffered, quite as well. Do we now conclude that because Russian tanks did well in that very mixed war, they will do well against an organised Army fighting conventional warfare?

would you say the primary purpose is to buy foreign kit or to kill indigenous development? or a hit 2 birds with one stone ?

In my view, these are two options, buying foreign equipment and promoting indigenisation, and the military may take one at one moment, the other the next moment. Their objective is to keep these options open, rather than tamely allow the bureaucracy to decide which it is to be.

The primary fear of all branches of the military is the fear of embargo, and the possibility of technology denial. If it happens due to hostility of one or the other bloc to Indian policy at that moment, nothing to be

the military of pakistan can buy what ever they like

I'm not at all sure about that. Not any longer. They can want to buy whatever they like, but I strongly doubt that they can any longer translate these into action. Their economy needs to be able to support their appetite.
and so does india
the difference is that the indians bend over easily to outside(out of the Indian armed forces) pressure

True. Let us let the unflattering imagery pass; yes, it is true that the Indian armed forces are nowhere near as powerful in their own country as the Pakistani equivalents are in theirs.

The difference, once again, is that the Pakistanis are limited only by their pockets; the Indians are limited only by their civilian managers. The case of the Indian Air Force, whose requirements and procurement decisions are heavily influenced by the politics of the matter, is a case in point.

who might these tormentors be? one of your own, french, Brits, Yanks, Ruskies, zionists, isi or may be isi pigeon?
yeah i know the last one is the most probable but i want you to think and i need to slight humor.

Why do I get this queasy feeling that you have not read my note? It says,"....their tormentors, the bureaucracy...." That body of men and women have been called many things before, but never French, Brits, Yanks, Ruskies, zionists, the ISI....perhaps the day may come when they may be thought of as ISI stool pigeons, but not yet, not just yet.

not really, examples being
the howitzer gun from sk are running along very smoothly. the russains frigates are coming and sailing along swimmingly and israeli kit and software to are doing well
(even the ones on the nirbhay)

the hold up being primarily in the AF domain.[/QUOTE]

I could now make a list of around ten horrible examples for each of the services; in fact, on another forum, I did so. It seems to be pointless, in hindsight; other than providing a Roman holiday for some twisted minds, it achieves nothing. The people facing the most direct consequences know this and other, deeper facts already; those who should know about it and don't, fail largely due to indifference, an indifference that stems from a selfishness and an obsession with their own central stories to the exclusion of anything that might be termed a national interest. These are few in number, but critically placed.

I cannot agree with your optimistic outlook, while at the same time, I must disagree with the other extreme, and must deprecate the kind of shallow and superficial dismissal of these institutions, for the very simple reason that these fall back to a lower but still effective level of functioning, even after denial of the higher-level integration of weapon systems embodying mobility and firepower, of training and of an increase in electronic and digital capability that is most desirable.

Nearly four years after the Indian Army received clearance from the Ministry of Defence to sign up for 118 of the indigenous Arjun Mk.II main battle tank developed by the DRDO, an actual order remains acutely elusive. And it now emerges that the DRDO is virtually pleading with the Army to go ahead and place the order so it can accelerate the process of moving from tank prototype to mass production. The Army, though, says it has its reasons not to sign on the dotted line yet.

The Arjun Mk.II, an improved version of the Arjun (of which the Indian Army operates 124 tanks across two regiments), was meant to be the solution to the program’s singularly tough run of luck. Last year, Livefist reported on what was only the latest in a history of hurdles (do read for a fuller picture of the project’s troubled history) that had met the project, literally stopping it in its tracks. A new report in Parliament now throws fresh light on Project Arjun’s troubles — its capacity to fire missiles at other tanks.

While the Army is said to have approved 72 desired improvements in trials that lasted from July 2012-September 2015, the Arjun Mk.II hasn’t demonstrated the capability to fire anti-tank missiles satisfactorily yet. Troubles on this front started in 2013 when the chosen Israeli LAHAT weapon failed to meet acceptance test parameters (ATP) of the Army. The following year it was virtually dropped from consideration, with the DRDO deciding to develop an in-house anti-tank missile for the Arjun. It now turns out that the Israeli LAHAT may be back in consideration with assurances of an ‘improved’ version that can meet the Indian Army’s requirements.

Untitled.jpg

The DRDO has notified Parliament that it is urging the Army to release a contractual order on the premise that the Arjun Mk.II will be production ready by 2021-22, and that the improved weapon can be retrofitted by that time. The Army isn’t enthused just yet, with sources saying they are waiting for a minimum basic missile capability demonstration before proceeding to place the order.

The re-entry of the Israeli LAHAT system into consideration is significant too and presents a dilemma to the DRDO. The LAHAT has had a shot with the Arjun and failed to perform satisfactorily, but the fact that it is still even being looked at suggests time pressures. The very fact that the DRDO itself is offering up the option of either an improved LAHAT or its own ATGM for the Arjun suggests it is wary of any further delays derailing a program that has already been postponed beyond measure and memory.

mk2.jpg

The DRDO has also officially informed Parliament that its tube-launched anti-tank guided missile (ATGM) for the Arjun Mk.II is among its sanctioned projects for the year 2017-18. The laser homing tube launched 120mm missile is expected to be ready for user trials in 2018-19.

Last year, Livefist reported on an unprecedented weight reduction exercise that had been ordered by the Army, throwing the Arjun Mk.II’s path to production plan out of gear. It was reported recently that the DRDO is fighting an expectedly losing battle on that front too.

https://www.livefistdefence.com/201...ank-order-over-missile-firing-capability.html

Wow, arjunk still exists, did they solve the overweight problem?

At least Tejas is a good airplane and platform, this one is a total miss and a frankenstien needed to be ditched.

The Bhishma is a good solid lead platform and the IA is better placed floating a RFP for a new design from the private sector like Mahindra, Tata and others.
All of them now have ample experience in commonalities from automotive design and development along with access to key ideas that are applicable both ways.

They can and will design a product which will be ten times better than any junk DRDO doles out.

well that's how the cookie crumbles. lobbying plays a major role more deciding than weapons acquisitions but also regular laws.

they do a vis a vis against the two and see which is best.
What's that about the cookie crumbling...
nom nom nom nom nom

The Bhishma is a good solid lead platform and the IA is better placed floating a RFP for a new design from the private sector like Mahindra, Tata and others.

They dont at least not yet. They need DRDO. A tank and IFV platform can be produced with DRDO in the PPP way like ATAGS is being done. Or those players can partner with outside OEMs.

Whatever the case, IA will not let go of the weight requirement. I do think mark 2 will get orders after reducing some weight, but that platform is done, unlike Tejas.

Irony with Bhishma is it's using spin off subsystems from the Arjun's development.

They dont at least not yet. They need DRDO. A tank and IFV platform can be produced with DRDO in the PPP way like ATAGS is being done. Or those players can partner with outside OEMs.

Whatever the case, IA will not let go of the weight requirement. I do think mark 2 will get orders after reducing some weight, but that platform is done, unlike Tejas.

Irony with Bhishma is it's using spin off subsystems from the Arjun's development.
India needs to let go of state enterprises and let their private sector work for the state.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom