What's new

DRDO gets nod to develop ‘eye in sky’

kurup

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has got the nod of the government’s highest decision-making body to soon develop an indigenous ‘eye-in-the-sky’, a critical force multiplier that can keep tab on enemy military activity from a safe distance.

The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, gave its nod to the proposal from the DRDO for indigenous development of the Airborne Warning and Control System (AWAC) on February 12 this year, Defence Minister A K Antony has informed Parliament.

The project will be called AWACS (India) and is envisaged to complete the work in 84 months from the date for formal sanction of the programme, he said.

The project was approved “to leverage the experience and expertise gained in the design and development of airborne early warning and control systems (AEW&CS)” for the Indian Air Force (IAF). Now, the IAF operates three AWACS as force multipliers for specific area cover and not for surveillance of the entire Indian territory.

All the three AWACS, which are large aircraft-mounted radars, are part of the network centric operations of the IAF and are able to provide adequate coverage of specified areas, Antony said. “Enhancement of airborne surveillance and command and control capabilities of the IAF is sought to be achieved through procurement of additional AWACs,” he added.

The long-term integrated perspective plan (LTIPP) of the Defence Ministry envisages deployment of a mix of large AWACS and small AEW&CS aircraft.

While three AWACS have been operationalised in the IAF, there is a proposal for procurement of two additional AWACS. Simultaneously, the DRDO is engaged in indigenous development of three AEW&C systems.

The procurement of two additional AWACS is a follow-on order to the `5,200-crore tripartite agreement among India, Israel and Russia in 2004 under which the IAF inducted three Israeli Phalcon AWACS mounted on Russian IL-76 aircraft in 2009-10.

The AWACS and the AEW&C systems can detect incoming aerial threats ranging from fighters to cruise missiles and even troops movement on the ground. The systems send data to warn military commanders of the threats and for taking pre-emptive actions against the enemy.

The platforms enable faster sensor-to-shooter loop, quicker defensive or offensive response against the enemy military manoeuvre.

The plans to develop indigenous AWACS comes at a time when China has already inducting 20 such platforms, including a few older platforms.

Pakistan too is gaining an upper hand over India, having inducted four Swedish Saab-2000 AWACS and is now on the verge of getting four Chinese ZDK-03 AWACS.

DRDO gets nod to develop

While three AWACS have been operationalised in the IAF, there is a proposal for procurement of two additional AWACS. Simultaneously, the DRDO is engaged in indigenous development of three AEW&C systems.

three??AEW&C is delivered already,and now this new project.doesn't it make 2???

any guess which platform will we use to develop this??Boeing-707,A-50 or modified A-330???

and another off topic question,any news on K-100 Novator??

any guess which platform will we use to develop this??Boeing-707,A-50 or modified A-330???

I guess A330, as they would come as air refueir. But what is A50.

I guess A330, as they would come as air refueir. But what is A50.

but isnt 7 years a long time??

Yes, especially when you are lacking behind in this field compared to potential opponents. This makes only sense if we rapidly make some follow orders for EMB 145 AWACS, DRDOs typical way to take the 3rd step even before the 1st one is finished. :hitwall:

Yes, especially when you are lacking behind in this field compared to potential opponents. This makes only sense if we rapidly make some follow orders for EMB 145 AWACS, DRDOs typical way to take the 3rd step even before the 1st one is finished. :hitwall:

i m just a bachelor now.by the way i see it ,may be my kids would be going to school by the time they'll be available to IAF

A50 is the designation of plane, Phalcon the name of the radar system, just like EMB 145 is the plattform for the DRDO radar system.

Il 76 is the plane, around which AWACS is installed. That whole system named as A50, while we are talking about plane here, in which our AWACS will be mounted.

BTW whats your opinion about it?

Il 76 is the plane, around which AWACS is installed. That whole system named as A50, while we are talking about plane here, in which our AWACS will be mounted.

That's not correct, the IL76 is the baseline varient, build by Ilyushin, but the A50 is the AWACS version, build by Beriev:

Beriev A-50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beriev Aircraft Company

I stated my opinion in post #7, I have nothing about DRDO going for further developments, but they should provide IAF with the basics for Indias security first.
As plattforms I would take the A330, since we will operate it anyway, but it is possible that we go for a smaller version the A320 for example, or the Boeing 737.
Anyway, too many different types, too many different systems, too late!

actually A-50 is the name of the aircraft,which is stretched version of IL-76 and it is not the name of the Radar,which is upgraded Flat Jack.
IL 76 is an older platform.I don't think It'll be available in the market around 2020,but then,we shouldn't go for this older platform and should go for new one.else we will face spare parts problems just like we are facing it now for various platforms..

Beriev A-50 Mainstay

Back
Top Bottom