What's new

Doors open for negotiation with US on F-16 deal: Foreign Office

Thəorətic Muslim

Reaction score
Country
United States
Doors open for negotiation with US on F-16 deal: Foreign Office
MATEEN HAIDER — PUBLISHED ABOUT 4 HOURS AGO

ISLAMABAD: Negotiations regarding the funding of F-16 jets for Pakistan may still be possible with the United States (US), Foreign Office Spokesman Nafees Zakaria said on Thursday.

"US Senator John McCain will be visiting Pakistan soon to meet top leadership," Zakaria said.

The F-16 deal was earlier put on hold after Washington asked Islamabad to foot the bill for the jets. Under an initial financing arrangement, the US was to pay about $430 million for the eight jets worth $699 million from Foreign Military Financing (FMF) funds, while the remaining cost was to be borne by Pakistan itself.

Islamabad rejected the idea of fully paying for the aircraft and refused to make any pledge unless the restriction on financing through FMF was lifted.

The Pakistani government was required to provide the Letter of Acceptance for purchase of the jets by May 24, but a diplomatic source revealed that the document was not issued, leading to expiry of the offer.

'Pakistan to join MTCR at appropriate time'
The FO spokesman said Pakistan would choose to become a part of the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) at an ‘appropriate’ time.

Pakistan has a fairly advanced missile programme and has developed a number of short- and medium-range ballistic missiles and UAVs, but it has never sought membership of the MTCR, which theoretically could have facilitated its access to high-end missile technologies.

India, however, became the 35th member of the MTCR this week after a consensus emerged in the regime on admitting it into its fold.

'Asked for more evidence on Mumbai attacks'
Zakaria said that Pakistan has asked Indian authorities for more evidence regarding the Mumbai attacks so that Pakistan can pursue the case.

"Foreign Secretary Aizaz Chaudhry has written a letter to concerned authorities across the border and has demanded further details regarding the evidence linking Pakistan to the attacks," he said.

Foreign policy to be sorted out during envoys conference
Pakistan envoys have been called together for a meeting next month to discuss the rapidly changing scenario of international politics, the FO spokesman said.

The conference will also be used to devise a fitter strategy to deal with the future developments.

The development comes amidst criticism of the government's foreign policy by members of the opposition who claim that Pakistan is becoming isolated and needs to maintain good relations with neighbouring countries.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1268198/doors-open-for-negotiation-with-us-on-f-16-deal-foreign-office

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:laughcry::laughcry::laughcry::laughcry::laughcry:

image.gif

I agree. My country needs to decide if it is interested in having allies from the Muslim world or not. There is virtually no chance, (or at least very little.), that these aircraft would be used against India but there is a 100% chance that they will be used in precision strikes against the enemies of Pakistan, as well as those of Afghanistan, & America.

For what it's worth, I did send my position to my state's congressional delegation. (I am a Republican Party official and do this often on topics that interest me.)

I agree. My country needs to decide if it is interested in having allies from the Muslim world or not. There is virtually no chance, (or at least very little.), that these aircraft would be used against India but there is a 100% chance that they will be used in precision strikes against the enemies of Pakistan, as well as those of Afghanistan, & America.

For what it's worth, I did send my position to my state's congressional delegation. (I am a Republican Party official and do this often on topics that interest me.)

Had US remained a stable ally of Pak and the relationship not been a roller coaster ride where US befriends you when it needs you and than when the problem is solved they leave you infront of the wolves .. There wouldn't been so much anti US feeling among Pak society (it's only against the US govt not the American people)..

We see Chinese investing billions and on the other hand we see Americans banning stuff .. No trade (or minimal stuff).. And again these ups and downs.. The discriminatory behaviour on strategic issues ..

It's upto USA to decide if it really wants Pak as a friend or just the good old disposable ally..: because today not even our govt can be taken on a ride... They might close their eyes on small stuff but the public will pressurise them not to do USAs bidding anymore..

Last edited:

can you please convey my massage to your congressmen or whatsoever ? we hate USA and we want to cut all of the relations with USA .please stop our aid and weapons common Pakistanis do not need them . our corrupt politicians take all the aid and transfer to Swiss accounts and our forces love US goodies . but we common Pakistanis hate everything belongs to USA. we want to be away from US shadow forever .it may be dangerous to be America's enemy, but to be America's friend is fatal .sorry for my poor English i hope you understand

Had US remained a stable allie of Pak and the relationship not been a roller coaster ride where US befriends you when it needs you and than when the problem is solved they leave you infront of the wolves .. There wouldn't been so much anti US feeling among Pak society (it's only against the US govt not the American people)..

We see Chinese investing billions and on the other hand we see Americans banning stuff .. No trade (or minimal stuff).. And again these ups and downs.. The discriminatory behaviour on strategic issues ..

It's upto USA to decide if it really wants Pak as a friend or just the good old disposable ally..: because today not even our govt can be taken on a ride... They might close their eyes on small stuff but the public will pressurise them not to do USAs bidding anymore..

I agree and would offer two reasons why it has turned sour. The first is the general reason that you pointed out...

Please USA we are evil ...

That has sadly, become the prevailing attitude of most Americans. It is the feeling of most Americans since 9/11 about most Muslim countries. The second, which is specific to Pakistan and confirmed the first in their eyes, is where Osama bin Laden had been living for many years, before we caught up to him. Americans are convinced that Pakistan's government was complicit in hiding him and protecting him.

I don't say those things because I think them right or to offer an American excuse, but only to point out the perspective from the American point of view.

can you please convey my massage to your congressmen or whatsoever ? we hate USA and we want to cut all of the relations with USA .please stop our aid and weapons common Pakistanis do not need them . our corrupt politicians take all the aid and transfer to Swiss accounts and our forces love US goodies . but we common Pakistanis hate everything belongs to USA. we want to be away from US shadow forever .it may be dangerous to be America's enemy, but to be America's friend is fatal .sorry for my poor English i hope you understand
Perhaps you should avail yourself of the ballot box in Pakistan and change your government because the government you have now, feels very differently on the issue and my country has to deal with the government that is in power and not the one you may want.

Us should rather sell these f16's too India.We dont need them.This is the time to move away from Usa

Interesting you would say this. As we speak, Pakistan is negotiating with US for MLU on its F-16s and there is even talk of buying second-hand F-16s. Who benefits from this arrangement?

Back
Top Bottom