What's new

Don't waste money on buying the Rafale. Boost Sukhoi-30MKI availability, and fast track the Tejas

Tell the Frenchmen that their deal and their extended negotiations proved fatal for the deal.

Start all over again, not to buy a medium modern fighter but improve LCA to that capability in its second avatar. Examine SAAB proposal more critically. If SAAB gives you technology for a price and help in boosting its production, then dump Rafale.

Where did you come up with this nonsense?

Russia is slightly ahead on engines, with China fast catching up, but China now leads on airframe, radar and other electronics.

What do you mean nonsense? Russia is still several years ahead in engine technology, but even their engines aren't true 5th gen. The AL-41F1 engines developed for the PAK FA are simply enhanced versions of the recent AL-31F series which are found on the Su-30s and Su-35s. Essentially, the Russian engine is just an enhanced 4.5th gen engine!

Russian developments on a true 5th gen engine are ongoing, but still far behind schedule and we most likely wont see a fully operational one until the mid 2020s at the earliest.

I agree China may lead on airframe, as many Western experts concur that the J-20 displays better LO characteristics than the PAK FA. But I disagree that we are ahead in radar and electronics. For the most part, we still rely heavily on the Russians for technical assistance and servicing many of our Su-27 derivatives. We are also still importing some high-end Russian avionics for the J-10 and other fighters, but only a little!

So I ask you, if we were so far ahead of the Russians as you say, then why do we still need Russian technical assistance and still use some Russian avionics in our aircraft? If we were ahead, then we wouldn't need to do this!

Also, much of Chinas avionics that we now produce was originally based on Russian technology.

However, I think that with our rapid development and fast growing aviation industry, we will soon surpass Russia in all aspects of aviation. I also think India will surpass Russia too eventually.

Russia's economy and aviation industry is not as healthy as ours, and once Chinese and Indian fighter aircraft designs mature, we will start to become large exporters of fighter aircraft and dominate the export market that Russia used to dominate during the Soviet Union.

What do you mean nonsense? Russia is still several years ahead in engine technology, but even their engines aren't true 5th gen. The AL-41F1 engines developed for the PAK FA are simply enhanced versions of the recent AL-31F series which are found on the Su-30s and Su-35s. Essentially, the Russian engine is just an enhanced 4.5th gen engine!

Russian developments on a true 5th gen engine are ongoing, but still far behind schedule and we most likely wont see a fully operational one until the mid 2020s at the earliest.

I agree China may lead on airframe, as many Western experts concur that the J-20 displays better LO characteristics than the PAK FA. But I disagree that we are ahead in radar and electronics. For the most part, we still rely heavily on the Russians for technical assistance and servicing many of our Su-27 derivatives. We are also still importing some high-end Russian avionics for the J-10 and other fighters, but only a little!

So I ask you, if we were so far ahead of the Russians as you say, then why do we still need Russian technical assistance and still use some Russian avionics in our aircraft? If we were ahead, then we wouldn't need to do this!

Also, much of Chinas avionics that we now produce was originally based on Russian technology.

However, I think that with our rapid development and fast growing aviation industry, we will soon surpass Russia in all aspects of aviation. I also think India will surpass Russia too eventually.

Russia's economy and aviation industry is not as healthy as ours, and once Chinese and Indian fighter aircraft designs mature, we will start to become large exporters of fighter aircraft and dominate the export market that Russia used to dominate during the Soviet Union.

What Russian technical assistance anymore?

The J-20 and J-31 will use nothing from Russia after the engine problem is solved - which is by the end of this decade at the latest.

Notice that it is Indians that were thanking you - that should say something.

You can always devote more resources to a project. Results vary but unless we try, we wont know.

You put more resource when you have a working prototype to work on, putting more resources now will be expecting a headless chicken to finish the race.

Rafale will replace the jaguars too in a2g mode it is the best suited for our needs.

You put more resource when you have a working prototype to work on, putting more resources now will be expecting a headless chicken to finish the race.

I dont think so. This is not a regular assignment where you have a plan of action that lead to a proven result. This is all theoretical and hypothetical, the more capable, intelligent and creative ppl involved led under careful direction can lead to substantial results. I think the culture sometimes in India hurts insteads helping us.

I agree with your pov but Im just saying we have been doing this way for yrs if not decades....let's try a different approach and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom