ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Doha's new $15bn airport welcomes first flight

doha+4.jpg

By Beatrice Thomas

Wednesday, 30 April 2014 2:06 PM

Doha's $15bn new international airport will be able to accommodate up to 70 million passengers annually and will eventually become a dedicated terminal for Qatar Airways, it was revealed at its official launch on Wednesday.

Hamad International Airport officially welcomed its first passengers with a 40-minute late Flydubai flight arriving about an hour after a Qatar Airways plane, carrying dignitaries and members of the airport steering committee made the first official touchdown to a water canon salute.

Speaking to the media after disembarking from the QA flight, the first time passengers in Doha were able to use a aerobridge, committee chairman Abdul Aziz Mohamad Al Noaimi heralded the event as the result of hard work in face of challenges.

The airport missed several deadlines for opening, including the end of 2012, April 1 2013 and the end of last year as a result firstly of a redesign and later regulatory issues.

"Every day we showed patience in order to face challenges, which have made our willingness even stronger to establish this venue that will be the pride of this and future generations," Al Noaimi said.

"Today we achieved what we promised - we are opening the airport."

Al Noaimi said the airport, which he confirmed had a final cost "more or less" of $15bn, will handle 30 million passengers from day one, building up to 50 million passengers when the third stage is finished in a few years.

However he said based on the ability of the now-old Doha airport to process 17 million passengers a year compared to its capacity of nine million he believed "we can service up to 70 million passengers."

He said Qatar was currently constructing a second terminal building, referred to as phase three of HIA, and he revealed "all airlines will transfer to that building with the exception of Qatar Airlines."

Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker said the most recent delays were the result of "certain issues raised by authorities about international standards and those needed to be addressed."

"Those took some time, longer than expected," he said. "But, we should forget about the past and look to the future.

Al Noaimi acknowledged the delay had affected Qatar Airways' ability to expand its network of destinations but said "from now on I think Qatar Airways will go to high speed in opening new destinations."

Qatar Transport Minister Jassim Saif Ahmed Al Sulaiyi said the part of the old airport would make way for "green areas" and streets, however plans were also under consideration for using it as an aviation faculty and a base for Gulf Helicopters.

"We have some ideas," he said

Ten airlines start operations from HIA today, with remaining airlines, including the national carrier to begin operations on May 27.

The project, which was started in 2005, comprises 100 buildings, including a 600,000sq m passenger terminal with three concourses and 33 contact gates. This will eventually be increased to five concourses and 65 contact gates, including eight for the A380 in the final build-out.

The terminal also features 16 lounges, 26 art installations, more than 100 f & b and retail outlets, transit hotel, swimming pool, luxury spa, squash courts and a 4-storey catering facility that is one of the largest in the world.

Also, an on site public mosque can accommodate 500 worshippers.

"HIA is a world-class aviation hub purpose-built to cater to rapidly evolving aviation and passenger needs of the 21st century," al Noaimi said.

Doha's new $15bn airport welcomes first flight - Transport - ArabianBusiness.com

460x.jpg

460x.jpg

460x.jpg

460x.jpg

460x.jpg

The GCC has really become a aviation giant on a international level. What is more important is that this is just 1 out of many future and planned new airports. KSA obviously has its big projects let alone UAE that is going to host the EXPO in 2020 and Qatar the World Cup in 2022 and as usual both those countries are building constantly.

The fleet of Qatar Airways is also impressive.

Qatar Airways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@mafiya

Last edited:
Doha's new $15bn airport welcomes first flight

doha+4.jpg

By Beatrice Thomas

Wednesday, 30 April 2014 2:06 PM

Doha's $15bn new international airport will be able to accommodate up to 70 million passengers annually and will eventually become a dedicated terminal for Qatar Airways, it was revealed at its official launch on Wednesday.

Hamad International Airport officially welcomed its first passengers with a 40-minute late Flydubai flight arriving about an hour after a Qatar Airways plane, carrying dignitaries and members of the airport steering committee made the first official touchdown to a water canon salute.

Speaking to the media after disembarking from the QA flight, the first time passengers in Doha were able to use a aerobridge, committee chairman Abdul Aziz Mohamad Al Noaimi heralded the event as the result of hard work in face of challenges.

The airport missed several deadlines for opening, including the end of 2012, April 1 2013 and the end of last year as a result firstly of a redesign and later regulatory issues.

"Every day we showed patience in order to face challenges, which have made our willingness even stronger to establish this venue that will be the pride of this and future generations," Al Noaimi said.

"Today we achieved what we promised - we are opening the airport."

Al Noaimi said the airport, which he confirmed had a final cost "more or less" of $15bn, will handle 30 million passengers from day one, building up to 50 million passengers when the third stage is finished in a few years.

However he said based on the ability of the now-old Doha airport to process 17 million passengers a year compared to its capacity of nine million he believed "we can service up to 70 million passengers."

He said Qatar was currently constructing a second terminal building, referred to as phase three of HIA, and he revealed "all airlines will transfer to that building with the exception of Qatar Airlines."

Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker said the most recent delays were the result of "certain issues raised by authorities about international standards and those needed to be addressed."

"Those took some time, longer than expected," he said. "But, we should forget about the past and look to the future.

Al Noaimi acknowledged the delay had affected Qatar Airways' ability to expand its network of destinations but said "from now on I think Qatar Airways will go to high speed in opening new destinations."

Qatar Transport Minister Jassim Saif Ahmed Al Sulaiyi said the part of the old airport would make way for "green areas" and streets, however plans were also under consideration for using it as an aviation faculty and a base for Gulf Helicopters.

"We have some ideas," he said

Ten airlines start operations from HIA today, with remaining airlines, including the national carrier to begin operations on May 27.

The project, which was started in 2005, comprises 100 buildings, including a 600,000sq m passenger terminal with three concourses and 33 contact gates. This will eventually be increased to five concourses and 65 contact gates, including eight for the A380 in the final build-out.

The terminal also features 16 lounges, 26 art installations, more than 100 f & b and retail outlets, transit hotel, swimming pool, luxury spa, squash courts and a 4-storey catering facility that is one of the largest in the world.

Also, an on site public mosque can accommodate 500 worshippers.

"HIA is a world-class aviation hub purpose-built to cater to rapidly evolving aviation and passenger needs of the 21st century," al Noaimi said.

Doha's new $15bn airport welcomes first flight - Transport - ArabianBusiness.com

460x.jpg

460x.jpg

460x.jpg

460x.jpg

460x.jpg

The GCC has really become a aviation giant on a international level. What is more important is that this is just 1 out of many future and planned new airports. KSA obviously has its big projects let alone UAE that is going to host the EXPO in 2020 and Qatar the World Cup in 2022 and as usual both those countries are building constantly.

The fleet of Qatar Airways is also impressive.

Qatar Airways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@mafiya
everything looks nice....except for the colour combinations in the waiting area....blue,green and red!:what:

everything looks nice....except for the colour combinations in the waiting area....blue,green and red!:what:

It's nice and modern IMO. Fits the design of the airport. If you watch some of the 3 Youtube clips I posted you can see more of the inside of the airport. I think that it is really great but that is expected about anything new in the GCC when that kind of money is thrown around.

There were a lot of delays though with this airport but since Qatar is going to host the World Cup in 2022 they have no time for delaying anything which is good for the development of the country. Not that they lack much.

It's nice and modern IMO. Fits the design of the airport. If you watch some of the 3 Youtube clips I posted you can see more of the inside of the airport. I think that it is really great but that is expected about anything new in the GCC when that kind of money is thrown around.

There were a lot of delays though with this airport but since Qatar is going to host the World Cup in 2022 they have no time for delaying anything which is good for the development of the country. Not that they lack much.
no youtube here.....:( any other links?

nah it doesnt go well with the blue coloured walls behind....and then the ceiling and the floor colour.....not critisizing it for the sake of it.....the architecture looks great but they missed it in choosing proper colours....there are some 7/8 colours used in combination in that waiting area...could have been a few 4/5 and would still look great and attractive!

no youtube here.....:( any other links?

nah it doesnt go well with the blue coloured walls behind....and then the ceiling and the floor colour.....not critisizing it for the sake of it.....the architecture looks great but they missed it in choosing proper colours....there are some 7/8 colours used in combination in that waiting area...could have been a few 4/5 and would still look great and attractive!

arch/design etc is my field so i know about it!:p:

How about using a proxy?

Well, I kindly disagree. I think that it fits quite well. I like the light colors and the modernity.

Those colors in the background are from the terminal area dear. Other than the sofas (can't remember the English word for what I am looking for, LOL) the color of the waiting room is white. Even the wooden floor has a light color.:coffee: The sofas can always be changed btw but I like that they have 3-4 different light colors personally.

Of course they could have made the waiting rooms more traditional and fitting for Qatar by doing them in a slightly darker wooden color resembling the traditional dhow of Qatar.

For example.​

Last edited:
How about using a proxy?

Well, I kindly disagree. I think that it fits quite well. I like the light colors and the modernity.

Those colors in the background are from the terminal area dear. Other than the sofas (can't remember the English word for what I am looking for, LOL) the color of the waiting room is white. Even the wooden floor has a light color.:coffee:
proxy slows down the speed so i dont like using it...i uninstalled it:(

its Couch:tongue: yeah but whenever we design any area be it in structural form or in colours we always keep each and everything in surrounding area in mind....white seperations and beige coloured flooring/ceiling dont go well...they have mixed too many colours whichis quite irriating to eyes....but over all its good!

proxy slows down the speed so i dont like using it...i uninstalled it:(

its Couch:tongue: yeah but whenever we design any area be it in structural form or in colours we always keep each and everything in surrounding area in mind....white seperations and beige coloured flooring/ceiling dont go well...they have mixed too many colours whichis quite irriating to eyes....but over all its good!

Oh, ok. That's right. Pakistan need to allow Youtube again. Silly rule (IMO).

Yes, indeed it is, LOL. Thanks for reminding me of the word I was looking for. I operate with too many languages nowadays.

Well, I am not a designer but I think that the waiting room is quite well done. I am sure that it will look differently when fully occupied and during the day.

What do you think about my proposal as an expert of them making that waiting room more traditional by using the wooden color of the Qatari dhow? I like that wooden color a lot personally.:coffee:

Airlines is GCC thing I guess.

Dubai, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait etc. all have kick-*** airlines and airports...

Oh, ok. That's right. Pakistan need to allow Youtube again. Silly rule (IMO).

Yes, indeed it is, LOL. Thanks for reminding me of the word I was looking for. I operate with too many languages nowadays.

Well, I am not a designer but I think that the waiting room is quite well done. I am sure that it will look differently when fully occupied and during the day.

What do you think about my proposal as an expert of them making that waiting room more traditional by using the wooden color of the Qatari dhow? I like that wooden color a lot personally.:coffee:
normally the commercial areas dont look that cool in a traditional way...i mean like an airport.....we dont have to make it look like a Museum:enjoy: what are then museums for? .....people would be visiting the Qatari Airport then to have a feeling of being in a musuem:p: which shouldnt be the case....

yeah but you can give that colour effect to the seperations or in furniture....or any other item but not a complete look....one other reason is middle east is already known for using too many traditional items in their homes,buildings and other architectures so lets not make another place like an airport in the same way...keep the difference!

normally the commercial areas dont look that cool in a traditional way...i mean like an airport.....we dont have to make it look like a Museum:enjoy: what are then museums for? .....people would be visiting the Qatari Airport then to have a feeling of being in a musuem:p: which shouldnt be the case....

yeah but you can give that colour effect to the seperations or in furniture....or any other item but not a complete look....one other reason is middle east is already known for using too many traditional items in their homes,buildings and other architectures so lets not make another place like an airport in the same way...keep the difference!

I always like incorporating traditions if fitting and museums as well. I guess that happens when you spend too many years in Paris.

Joking aside I was just referring to the color of the wooden floor and maybe that of the couches.

Yes, a complete look in that color would be silly indeed.

Well, this depends on the area. Not everything in the ME is old and I would say that some people have a too big obsession about modern design which I dislike if it becomes too much.:p:

Hopefully you will get the chance to design a future airport in Pakistan or elsewhere.;)

Dubai, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait etc. all have kick-*** airlines and airports...

KSA is lacking on this front compared to UAE and Qatar actually.

I mean the airlines. Not the airports. Quite a few new airports are being built in KSA or being expanded. The most obvious being the King Abdulaziz International Airport north of Jeddah which is going to accommodate 90 million passengers a year and it can be further expanded in the future if necessary. It's necessary due to the hajj and umrah and before 2022 KSA is expected to open up (real tourism sector), Kingdom Tower and all the other big projects are expected to be finished etc. It's already a regional hub that area of Hijaz. (Jeddah, Makkah, Ta'if etc.)

Sorry to be pendant here but Dubai is not a country. Just the name of one of the 7 emirates. The Emirate of Dubai is obviously best known for its city of Dubai.

Last edited:

Kuwait should not be in that list.

Kuwait should not be in that list.

Nothing beats Emirates really. Biggest Airbus A380 fleet in the world by far. 44 of them. Singapore Airlines are second with 19.

We need to surpass the Gulfies by every means possible.:lol:

Warm mentions to Oman Air as well. Very pleasant airline with some great food onboard and friendly staff.

I have not tried Kuwait Airways so can't tell. They were good once.

Man, I wish I had $15 billion dollars, I'd blow it all on buying a shit ton of Mcdonalds resturants that sell nothing but vegetable-burgers.

Back
Top Bottom