What's new

Does the PN need an aircraft carrier?

AC carriers are not like your neighbors car that need to be bought just coz its fashionable.

It is a part of national philosophy of power projection and where a nation wishes to see itself now & yrs later. Also, to own one a nation needs secure ports (which cannot be blockaded) and a carrier group to protect the mammoth.

Just curious.

navies the world over use two kinds of naval doctrines one is "sea denial" and other one is "sea control".

depending upo type of requirement/capability the doctrines are selected.

for example US, China, UK etc follow the concept of "sea cotrol". smaller navies like pakistan follow the concept of "sea denial".

for "sea denial" a navy needs to have adequate number of submarines. these subs act as detterent as their movement is hidden and not known. a small number of submarines can patrol an entire sea (like indian ocean) and keeps large battle groups on their toes. however since conventional submarine have its own limitations it cannot be used for absolute power projection.

"sea control" is the only way for absolute power projection. however it is very expensive as one needs to have a battle group to project power. aircraft carrier itself is very vulnerable to submarines. hence wenever an aircraft carrier goes to war it is acompanied with frigates (for ASW ops) and destroyers.

so pakistan is following an economically viable option of "sea denial".

For Godsake Pakistan dont need ACC or Destroyer, we need figs, Fast moving anti ship Missile boats, Submarines (most important) and very potent naval air wing.

Iam lay man pls correct me if wrong. :undecided:

Unless Pakistan was an Island ,i don't see much of a reason to have one.

Also like i mentioned in another thread, ACs are white elephants in modern warfare which is dominated by low-intensity conflicts.

For Godsake Pakistan dont need ACC or Destroyer, we need figs, Fast moving anti ship Missile boats, Submarines (most important) and very potent naval air wing.

Iam lay man pls correct me if wrong. :undecided:

Yes you are 100% correct. :agree:

Well,its good to have big goals but i like the concept of "step by step".:)

And that is in the east. The reason I think is obvious. :azn:

I was not trying to explain the strategy behind why it was used in the east. All I wanted to prove was that India has successfully used AC in a war.....contrary to what Bossman said

I was not trying to explain the strategy behind why it was used in the east. All I wanted to prove was that India has successfully used AC in a war.....contrary to what Bossman said

OK...

you got it right.it is obvious while only two frigate & some missile boat can destroy the highly secured karachi port,why some one need a AC..:azn:

You just can't guess the damage that IN had to face if AC had faced the same fate as INS Kukri. As I said reason is obvious. ;)

I am sure Pakistan army thought about it. We will probably have one before 2020 if our army really needs it. Pakistan army has missiles that can reach to middle east and further. It also has navy ships, submarines. For aircraft carrier we need more fighters and air crafts. Right now we need our own satellite launched from Pakistan more than an aircraft carrier in my opinion. What do you say?

ya,there is always a threat from subs.thats why ACs always have protection cover & they never operate alone .it is hard to say that it may face the same fate,but at the mean time you can imagine the damages it can caused to the entire karachi city & port.

We need more Battleships, Crusiers and Destroyerssssssssssssssssssss !

Back
Top Bottom