What's new

Doctoral degrees: The disposable academic - Why a PhD is a waste of time

[MENTION=36800]
@canadian icehole nothing soft about seeing that word on a rejection letter :disagree:

Let me tell you an example of Softly reject then, I got rejected by a second tier US university on the ground of 'Your research interest doesn't match our course curriculum', AFAIK the rank of the university was #144.

While i was already selected in a University of rank #51.

That is what i call soft reject. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
TBH i was never comfortable negotiating with the British. :D

They don't even have money to pay for their school children fees, forget hiring PhDs. Bdw in which field you're in.

@Skull and Bones ohh even if they have funding they spedn in rations....I am in molecular biology + genetics/ genomics + biotechnology but not in Human ...in Plants :P ... I bounce around a lot :P

Let me tell you an example of Softly reject then, I got rejected by a second tier US university on the ground of 'Your research interest doesn't match our course curriculum', AFAIK the rank of the university was #144.

@Skull and Bones well, they were smart enough not to say OVERLY QUALIFIED!! :rofl: what's your field? :unsure: engineering?

[MENTION=36800]
@Skull and Bones well, they were smart enough not to say OVERLY QUALIFIED!! :rofl: what's your field? :unsure: engineering?

VLSI, Nano Electronics, Semiconductor Physics. I was into Masters bdw, looking forward to get into Ivy's or similar league after this for PhD.

I am thinking about it but my kids say no, if you become a chef you will stop cooking at home, selfish kids!
:omghaha:
I would rather call them Smart Kids.

Well, being a home cook and making them delicious meals is much more better than for strangers. :D
I think this way.

Well, they are right. If your research interest doesn't match with their offering, they did what is good for them. And indirectly, did a favor for you too.

If you would have joined it, 2 or 3 years down the line you would have regretted it.

I'm thinking about a part time PhD on Chutiyapanti, and none other university is offering it other than IIPM and Amity University.

Well, they are right. If your research interest doesn't match with their offering, they did what is good for them. And indirectly, did a favor for you too.

If you would have joined it, 2 or 3 years down the line you would have regretted it.

Abbey nahi re, champu samjha hai kya? Don't you think i've already looked into their lab infrastructure before applying and writing my SOP? The fact is, they were out of funding this year, and too ashamed of admitting it.

And the thread goes off the tracks.

We need comic relief at regular intervals, too intense discussions are injurious for health. :D

actually there is, unlike our countries in north America at least an employer will not hire you if you are over qualified on the fears that he cannot pay you according to your education. It becomes a question of fairness that if he is paying 60,000 to other B.S. Workers he should be paying 70,000 to and M.S and 80,000 to a PHD but he cannot afford to pay that much for this job.

Another scenario is when the employer thinks that you won't last long in the company. Constantly hiring people gets pretty expensive.

@Skull and Bones tell that to the British and French bozo who actually wrote that in my rejecting letter :angry: We didnt even get to the salary part :angry:

@canadian icehole nothing soft about seeing that word on a rejection letter :disagree:

I guess it comes down to one's POV and culture. I admit the example that Skull and Bones gave was a much softer rejection.

Are you still registered for your doctorate, looking for another supervisor? You must be younger than I thought. I assumed Madam to be a senior teacher/professor in a college somewhere.

Quit calling me Madam.

@Elmo PhD is also about how you tackle these so called mediocre people. If one loves his/her work, they work to find solution of everything.

Oh yeah ... easier said than done.

Quit calling me Madam.
Oh yeah ... easier said than done.
Everything is easier said than done.

Point is how passionate you are in research.

I have faced all types of unethical people in research. But that doesn't mean I give up the thing I love, i.e. Research.

Its just like a relationship. There will be people who dont't want you to be happy with the one you love, who want to create distances, doubts and break ups, but that doesn't mean I give up the person I love because of few people who wants to ruin my life.

If they can do it, then I think my passion and love for the work or the woman wasn't that strong.

Let them cause troubles for me, I get more stronger and by succeeding against their nefarious designs, I take my revenge because if I don't give up and keep moving, they themselves get hurt and angry because I didn't give what they wanted me to give, Giving Up my research.

If you left research because of such people, then let me be frank, you aren't made for research.

Back
Top Bottom