What's new

Doctoral degrees: The disposable academic - Why a PhD is a waste of time

Oh yes, my thoughts. Once upon a time Elmo was a research associate on an expensive PhD project of her professor - after a few months, Elmo ran away, very fast, very hard, and ran, ran, ran. And she had her happy ending. The project is still up and running though:partay:

Most people do not understand the significance of what a PhD really is, especially in Pakistan. I am sure there are some very hard working souls out there, but there are many many many more who are taking advantage of the system and its need to mass produce PhDs. So we have some very mediocre people who will not let the bright ones get ahead.

Sad story, but true.

Which visa are you talking about now?

So @Elmo ran away from a PhD? That explains this thread adequately.

And I was talking in general terms about visas and PhDs. Getting a visa on the basis of being registered for a PhD is relatively easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly that's the case. Acquiring a PhD may hurt one's chances of getting a non-R&D job; may give the impression of being over-qualified.

There's nothing by the term 'over qualified' for anything, unless he's asking a salary way over the stipulated budget for the post.

There's nothing by the term 'over qualified' for anything, unless he's asking a salary way over the stipulated budget for the post.

I suppose that scenario could be valid. Another example would be someone applying for a junior position where the applicant's skill far exceeds what is demanded for such junior position. Sometimes such terms are used to "softly" reject the applicant without causing too much problems.

I suppose that scenario could be valid. Another example would be someone applying for a junior position where the applicant's skill far exceeds what is demanded for such junior position. Sometimes such terms are used to "softly" reject the applicant without causing too much problems.

I've never seen that happening, under such circumstances, it comes down to the applicant, how he'll manage his posture and attitude in the work place. Given that even his seniors are under qualified than him.

TBH, i've never seen a PhD having regret for completing his PhD, but some of them had grudge over their supervisors. :D

actually there is, unlike our countries in north America at least an employer will not hire you if you are over qualified on the fears that he cannot pay you according to your education. It becomes a question of fairness that if he is paying 60,000 to other B.S. Workers he should be paying 70,000 to and M.S and 80,000 to a PHD but he cannot afford to pay that much for this job.

My goal is to do a PhD if for nothing else to get a job in teaching. No fixed retirement age.

I think that those who are attempting (or have attempted in the past) to do a PhD can identify with this photo:

a4KXvpp_460s.jpg

after 20 years I realized I always wanted to be a chef, what a waste of 20 years
Well, I never wanted to say "Kaash" in life. If you want to be Chef, go become one.

So @Elmo ran away from a PhD? That explains this thread adequately.

And I was talking in general terms about visas and PhDs. Getting a visa on the basis of being registered for a PhD is relatively easier.

A visa for what and where? Which PhD is this - link please!

I never ran away from a PhD - I ran away from the person doing his/her PhD. :D

@Elmo PhD is also about how you tackle these so called mediocre people. If one loves his/her work, they work to find solution of everything.

A visa for what and where? Which PhD is this - link please!

I never ran away from a PhD - I ran away from the person doing his/her PhD. :D

I think you will agree with this photo:

a4KXvpp_460s.jpg

Are you still registered for your doctorate, looking for another supervisor? You must be younger than I thought. I assumed Madam to be a senior teacher/professor in a college somewhere.

@Skull and Bones tell that to the British and French bozo who actually wrote that in my rejecting letter :angry: We didnt even get to the salary part :angry:

@canadian icehole nothing soft about seeing that word on a rejection letter :disagree:

actually there is, unlike our countries in north America at least an employer will not hire you if you are over qualified on the fears that he cannot pay you according to your education. It becomes a question of fairness that if he is paying 60,000 to other B.S. Workers he should be paying 70,000 to and M.S and 80,000 to a PHD but he cannot afford to pay that much for this job.

I already clarified the point, didn't I. The complexity arises mainly because of the payscale, not because one is over qualified for the job. I've seen PhD's working for 60-70K USD a year initially.

@Skull and Bones tell that to the British and French bozo who actually wrote that in my rejecting letter :angry: We didnt even get to the salary part :angry:

TBH i was never comfortable negotiating with the British. :D

They don't even have money to pay for their school children fees, forget hiring PhDs. Bdw in which field you're in.

Here are my takes on the PhD.

1. economic point of view. If the economy is raising and new tech are developing then the R&D definitely play bigger role hence the PhD are needed by the Economy and paid well enough. on the other hand if economy is shabby or economy is not dependent on the R&D then no PhD are needed rather skilled labours and Technical people are needed, third if you don't have resources nor high tech industry, then you produce PhD and send them Abroad where they are needed and hence you get remittances that keep you economy floating.
2. Student perspective every one going to university goes only for two reason to prepare himself to earn better and respectable life, secondly to make contribution to human knowledge. 99.999 % goes to university for first reason.

Back
Top Bottom