What's new

DO YOU RESPECT THE MILITARY

Ahh you know me. I am not a patriot and never will be again. I wanted to talk a little about the difference between the patriotism and "that strange feeling". I am not patriot, I am kind of a comrade'ist or brother-at-arms'ist.

The real reason I wanted to write it at PDF is, we have an increasing bad attitude&insult pools against military personnel here.

exactly, we too have those services. But there's a lack for Readoption into civilian life and veterans salary. While an officially accepted Syrian refugee gets 800TRY per month, a veteran gets around 380TRY. Besides that all seems well. But as you said, more needs to be done.
You are still not facing this truth Neptune,you are still not facing it.I told you that no matter how hard you will try to push it away,it will come back to you.Thus,I advice you to stop fighting with yourself:)

Well than, he was not respected at all. @Slav Defence's and @Armstrong's statements shows it well. No offence but There are a lot that you people should learn. Why not join for recruitment only and then talk...:coffee:

He has a certain take on most things related to Pakistan; one that many of us may not always share but we respect his Opinion !

Respect is always earned and can never be demanded.
There is something called autorespect(made up),in my country we allways respect our soldiers.
Being a soldier earns our respect,without our soldiers we are nothing.

You are still not facing this truth Neptune,you are still not facing it.I told you that no matter how hard you will try to push it away,it will come back to you.Thus,I advice you to stop fighting with yourself:)

what truth fella, better we don't derail the thread, PM me about that truth;).

I respect the any profession as long as they stay within the confines of their job and dont compromise their professionalism.
I've seen many brilliant teachers.. who were handed administration tasks and they thoroughly mucked it up...and that is all I have to say in the matter.

Last edited:
I respect and support anyone who respects and puts their country an people first over their pockets!!!

But when the Armed Forces are run as businesses first and as forces second? :D

Respect for a soldier is natural,however only as long as they serve nation's interests.Its the cause and not the death that makes the martyr.

@Rashid Mahmood : Rashid Bhai perhaps you can shed greater light on what the Army & her Sister Services do in terms of their Commercial Interests servicing Army Welfare Programs ! :)

Sure Armstrong.

All servicemen eventually have to retire from the Armed forces at a certain age or service limit.

Almost all of these serviceman come from middle class family backgrounds and have to work in order to continue with the livelihood of their families. This is termed as rehabilitation in civil life for ex-servicemen and their families.

Fauji Foundation was the first organisation to be established and its history dates back to 1945, when a Post War Services Reconstruction Fund (PWSRF) was established for Indian War Veterans who served the British Crown during WW-II. At the time of partition (1947) when Pakistan came into being, the balance fund was transferred to Pakistan in the proportion of its post WW-II veterans. Till 1953, the fund remained in the custody of the civilian Government, when in 1954 it was transferred to the Army.

Similarly,
AWT was established in 1971.

Shaheen Foundation was established in 1977 under the Charitable Endowment Act 1890. The foundation was created to promote welfare activities for the benefit of serving and retired PAF personnel including civilians and their dependents, and to this end-generates fund through industrial and commercial enterprises.

Bahria Foundation was established in January 1982 by the Government of Pakistan as a Charitable Trust under the Endowment Act 1890. The foundation is to establish profitable businesses for welfare of serving and rehabilitation of retired personnel of Pakistan Navy and their dependents including families of shuhadas. BAHRIA Foundation excels in the field of education where it has established 45 schools/colleges throughout Pakistan. The Foundation is also participating actively in a number of joint ventures with local and foreign entrepreneurs.

The Foundation owns three prestigious complexes having an area of about 486,000 sq ft. office space at Karachi and has over 3750 employees.

All these organisations invest in commercial business to generate revenue which is eventually used for the rehabilitation of ex servicemen and civilians as well.

The best part is that all these organizations now employ more than 70% civilians in their various businesses, thus creating thousands of jobs, which eventually benefit the economy of Pakistan.

DO YOU RESPECT THE MILITARY

The question can be interpreted different ways:

A- Do you respect the institution of the military and its role in the country?
B- Do you respect individual anonymous soldiers?
C- Do you respect the military leaders?

People tend to confuse these dimensions and project their views in one dimension onto other aspects.

Since I believe your question is about (B), there is no doubt that people who put their life at risk for the country's protection deserve respect. Sure, there will be rogue individuals, and the role of the military in certain contexts will be controversial, but soldiers are trained to follow orders. Ultimately, if one disagrees with alleged abuse of the military, the responsibility lies with the leaders (both civilian and military) and the people who elected them to power.

People in the US learned this important principle and the maturity is reflected in the way Iraq and Afghanistan veterans are treated compared to the Vietnam vets.

That user status clearly shows that alienation between the Armed Forces and the population of its own country is a real danger and that unquestioned adulation cannot never be taken for granted. That is all.

Another way to look at this is that "respect has to be earned and cannot be demanded - or even taken for granted. It must be earned".

Hi,

Did you miss the ethnic background of the poster---would like to know what it is.

Back
Top Bottom